BUT BUT BUT MUH FOOD PRICES

"In 2012, there were 3.2 million farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers and an estimated 757,900 agricultural workers were legally employed in the US. Animal breeders accounted for 11,500 of those workers with the rest categorized as miscellaneous agricultural workers. The median pay was $9.12 per hour or $18,970 per year."
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_United_States

So, let's say we gave all agricultural workers work for $9.12 an hour and we wanted to raise their wage to $15 an hour.

$15 - $9.12 = $5.88

$5.88 an hour times the hours per year comes out to a $12,230.4 increase per worker.

Now times the number of workers in ALL of agriculture, 3,957,900, comes out to $48,406,700,160 per year in higher wage cost.

Now, $48,406,700,160 divided by the U.S. population comes out to $151.79 a year in extra food prices per individual or $607.16 per four person family.

Keep in mind, this was with 3.2 million farmers (not ranch hands), ranchers and mangers factored in. Let's try just workers this time, yeah?

$5.88 × 2,080h × 757,900 workers = 9,269,420,160 a year in food.

Now, divided by the population, the new prices are 29.0668553151 extra per individual now.

So, food would only rise $29.06 dollars a year or $116.36 for a four person family.

Now, are you telling me people couldn't afford $150 with that wage hike?

Other urls found in this thread:

pewhispanic.org/2015/03/26/share-of-unauthorized-immigrant-workers-in-production-construction-jobs-falls-since-2007/
temporarilyembarrassedmillionaires.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You might even be able to avoid the price increase if you killed Porky and took his property, making it so that price wasn't beholden to whatever generated the most profits.

That's true.

But let's have some fun!!!!

To further explain this, according to PewHispanic, only 4% of illegals work in agriculture:
pewhispanic.org/2015/03/26/share-of-unauthorized-immigrant-workers-in-production-construction-jobs-falls-since-2007/

With 11 million illegals in the U.S. with only 4% in agriculture, that's 440,000 workers total.

For shit and giggles, let's say illegals make $1 an hour and if we hired American we paid the medium wage of $9.12 an hour. That's a 800.12% increase in wages.

So, $8.12 x 2,080h = 16,889.6 a year in higher wages per worker.

16,889.6 x 440,000 = 7,431,424,000

7,431,424,000 ÷ 318.9 million = $23.30 per individual or an increase of $93.2 a year in food prices.

Let's do a more realistic wage now and say illegal immigrants get $4 an hour in wages.

Let's only an increase of $14.69 a year per individual or $58.77 a year per 4 person family.

bump

b b but that's thinking with your brain user, not your heart. all of those poor mexicans will be out of a job and we took their country away, so we owe it to them to harbor their criminals and let them vote illegally, don't we?

HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US

This isn't an accurate way to asses the total increase in food cost. You have to factor in other things like grocery store employees, people working in transport, and people working in food processing(like canned tomatoes, ect).

Keep using that brain, pol.
Keep using it..

Tell me how making the customers eat the total cost brings up prices for the labor of truck drivers and store employees, you moron.

FUCK capitalism!
FUCK THE bourgeoisie!

kk

why are you prejudice against rich people? is it because you are a broke ass or is it some other stupid reason. i thought all you lefties loved everyone and shit.

Fuck off back to your safe space

I have only seen right wing idiots ever say "muh tolerant left". Liberals are not leftist by the way because they will apologize for capitalism like good little proles. You cucks would probably do this, too.
T O P K E K
temporarilyembarrassedmillionaires.org/

What if I told you my dream is to be a farmer and live off the land?

What kind of farmer then?

One that grows food for my family and gets left alone.

What kind of food? Vegetables? Fruit? Animals?
Under this economic system I'd probably be much more difficult.

Unlikely.

what are you talking about. the original post was about the price increase of food if the minimum wage was raised. it's an inaccurate amount because it doesn't factor in other costs that would increase from raising the minimum wage.

Beautiful

10 acres of land. Chickens, fish (gonna get land near a lake), corn, onions, apples.

So, let's say we gave all agricultural workers work for $9.12 an hour and we wanted to raise their wage to $15 an hour.

Tell me where it says minimum wage is raised.

It's not like people having more money to spent will reinforce the economy, or anything…

Oh right!
You're supposed not to rely on slave labor to do that!

BUMP YOU GUYS HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS

I don't think you realise how difficult farm work really is. Probably never been out of the city.

Reddit detected

Don't forget a minimum wage raise effects non-agricultural workers too, not to mention it forces companies to raise wages for workers already on $15 per hour to incentivise them into taking such jobs too (I quit a skilled stressful logistics administration job once to work as a manual labourer because my boss was too cheap to raise my pay from 1.2 min wage to 1.5 matching the unskilled job). And because the wage increase goes beyond the need for food, it'll promote the rise and employment opportunities of the hospitality and entertainment industries, increasing the rate of employment rather than lowering it.

If low to middle income earners are having their wages increased well beyond the food price increase, then wealth is essentially being transferred from the bourgeoisie and they'll retaliate by investing more into research and development rather than into mergers, acquisition and junk bonds, with a view to increasing automation, worker productivity and firing excess staff to reduce the overhead. This is actually desirable in the long term to eventually liberate ourselves from work and porky won't otherwise invest in science and technology so as long as the current economic equilibrium favours and rewards non-productive finance.

You're failing to see the fact that agricultural wages are one of the few places where you can legally be paid a subminimum wage of 2 dollars an hour.

The current minimum wage would prolly be a wage hike for many as workers and truth be told even if the rise in wages occurred across the board rather then just in agriculture that has yet to prove that it's undesirable.

You have to consider that if the rise in inflation is below the rise in wages this is a net gain. This can occur because the capitalists take much of society's surplus value.

Now follow along with me here wages haven't really been rising lately and inflation is increasing according to official measures. What does that mean? It means that if wages don't rise soon that you will be taking a pay cut in terms of real wages.

How does our current minimum wage compare to the one in 1968? It's less. The minimum wage was approximately 11 dollars an hour adjusted for inflation.You've already taken a steep pay cut and you just don't know it.

Now if you consider that America is much richer and its industries are far more productive then…it seems absurd to say that a reform like a wage increase would be a net negative or just cancel itself out. The output of goods increases faster then the ability of people to pay for them and that's why during depressions prices fall.

So if we see that capitalism has a deflationary aspect to it, especially in crisis, and capitalists pursue an inflationary monetary policy to counteract this then demanding higher wages is…perfectally reasonable.

You're merely going back what you might have otherwise had if not for Keynesian policies designed to give big industrialists a veiled bailout. That's intended to counteract some of the effects of overproduction and crises of profitability.

None of this is a panacea rather capitalism's economic contradictions are so severe it must be dismantled with or without reforms. But would it be beneficial to the working class?

Most data and reasonable arguments answer that it would be.

*getting back

In the US a substantial increase in the minimum wage should have been implemented in the late 90s (I wrote a dissertation on just that back in 2000) when inflation and growth were doing the right things instead of "the great moderation" but it turns out Greenspan was a trickster and a fraud.
Who knows what would happen if it was done today - the economy is frail, but if they can print trillions of dollars and not bat an eye then why not do this too?
Fuck it, it's broken now anyway, who cares?

You guys do realize the OP says NOTHING about raising the minimum wage, right? It says "[let's say we gave all agricultural workers work for $9.12 an hour and we wanted to raise their wage to $15 an hour.]" The reason why I brought $15h into it is to incentives people to work in agriculture. Hit cntrl-F and see if it says anything for yourself about minimum wage.

I worked for a year as a farmhand making $11 an hour. I now work in construction as a GL.