Name a better rpg battle system

If you combined this battle system with a job system and a skill tree you'd probably end up with the best rpg ever produced.

Grandia's

If you're playing an rpg that doesn't have turn-based combat, you're not playing an rpg.

on a list of all time greatest RPGs, no nintendo or square ones would be present

The Desolate Hope

at this point is a cancer that just won't go away. all games would be better with some godhand/souls esque action RPG gameplay.

there's literally no difficulty in turn based games, its your turn? go take a shit, grab a drink, wash the dishes, do your homework, and then come back. whats the enemy gonna do? it can't do jackshit because it has to wait for your turn to be over, you can literally take all the time you want inbetween turns, so once you memorize what to do against each enemy you just breeze through games and "random battles" become an insufferable chore

oh you want to play retard logic right?

here, i can do that too

every single videogame is an RPG because you PLAY the ROLE of the protagonist

you haven't played bravely default. play more games and get back with your shit opinions.

Is there any other game that has a rhythm aspect to the RPG system like Mother 3? I thought that was fun

SMT3?

Mother 4 :^)

Sounds like a fairly boring list

Growlanser

Literally a child. No wonder you hate turn based RPG's.

panzer dragoon saga

combat is about maneuvering around your enemy and finding weak positions, understanding their counters and openings, maximizing your stats for specific situations (you can change your stat distribution at any time at the cost of a move bar) and determining weak points.

paper mario and chrono trigger are pretty boring games

Is there an autistic gimmick where you pass the controller, ___?

Yeah I guess growlancer does have a better battle system than grandia. You have waits for movement too and certain people move faster than others.

Samefag here, but if there was a game that was just this combat system, I'd play the shit out of it. Polite sage.

Eh, i had fun with them

when do you ever pull out the controller in SMRPG?

Valkyrie Profile 2's battle system is pretty cool. Real time with auto-pause every time you aren't moving, then face button juggling for attacks. The Press Turn System of SMT was gold until SMT4 fucked it up with smirking and 4A fucked the pooch even harder with Smile Charge.
FFX and X2 have good battle systems.

i dont play shit games

it's easier to program real time combat than setting up constant wait states

How do you know they're shit if you haven't played them? Statistically, it could be your favorite game, but you won't know because you won't play it.

I think they are fun games but they aren't very interesting games. They're novel at best, no major flaws and no major highs.

the original valkyrie profile is a little better, there's not many combo videos on youtube which is a shame but the ones that are there are awesome.

probably thinks morrowind is a good rpg

you play the role of the communist slave who is forced to pile those bricks to be delivered in packages.

checkmate

nice cherrypicking retard.

turn based still sucks ass compared to what technology beyond the 00's allows us to do. it was great in the 80s and 90s but its already over. play a real game you baby, or what, too scared to lose because of your poor reaction times?

Mario & Luigi.
A button for Mario, B button for Luigi.
Each character uses their button to attack and dodge. You don't have the defense to tank hits because if you know what you're doing you can avoid damage entirely. You aren't expected to be hit, and you have to learn how to fight each enemy.

I am the man who arranges the blocks
that keep falling down from up above…

What fucking RPG's are you playing, exactly?

If ATB were so good why do games with it have literal options to turn it off?

You ADHD fuck.

In case you're a total retard who wants the game on super easy mode.

Anyone with half a brain and any understanding of do-while syntax can program turn based scenario.

nice non-argument famalam, you don't need to play Life is Strange to know its garbage do you?

you need stamina to not miss retard.

it really has no point, turn and active-turn was an age thing, once 3D rendering and physics engines became a common thing, TB and ATB became outdated and useless, only companies appealing to nostalgia"le 90s xDD" tards still make turn based games.

Hey kid, I asked which real-time RPG's you were playing that required a good reaction speed.
I guess you forgot that you can just hit the pause button on those games so you can go do your homework.

morrowind needs to be a good game before I give a shit about its mediocre mechanics and design. we get it, you like babies first open world game, get some taste.

shame the way it graded you ruined the system

PC port fixed it a little bit, even helping balance it out a little bit, but some logic is tied to framerate and kinda threw off the balance in other areas. It's better but not in every way. Mixed bag but I think it's safe to say its good for whichever platform you get it for.

Speaking of PS3 games, resonance of fate had me pretty curious. Combat looked very flashy but I don't know much else about it.

Daily reminder that 3D killed video games. 3D imagery sure is bad for everything.

Turn-based still has a reason to exist.
First of all there are people with disabilities. Literally anyone can play Pokemon, not for it's lax difficulty, but because nothing is time-dependant. A paraplegic who has to push buttons with his nose can play it, a blind person can play it, even an army of tards from Twitch constantly trying to fight each other can play it. Accessibility isn't about vidya being too hard, it's about the fact that a lot of people can't even play normal games due to things outside their control. If you take away turn based games, like RPGs and dungeon crawlers, you take away vidya for a large group of people.
Secondly, a lot of modern turn-based games don't let you hang around forever. Off the top of my head Paper Mario Color Splash limits that, and there's a part where it limits it further to fuck with you. The window is still usually quite open, because of the first thing, but they won't let you fuck around. Competitive turn-based games, like Pokemon Showdown, let you put a timer on the other guy if he keeps wasting time. And there's that one game whose name we must not utter where an enemy tries what you mentioned and gets shat on.
Thirdly, making it more souls-like isn't a solution. How would you do that to Pokemon, for example? There are now 802 of the fuckers, and animating all of them is going to be a pain in the ass. How would you make a soulslike Nethack? Or a soulslike Desolate Hope? Or a soulslike that which must not be named? You might as well try and make a soulslike Chess.

It isn't to everyone's tastes, but turn-based combat still has a role in vidya.

this game was awful, i think i quit the moment i saw the gameplay. what the fuck were they thinking

you need full ripe grapes, but all you have are raisins

who are you, the game police? im not obligued to answer you shit, specially when you're just looking for fodder to make your retarded incorrect counter-argument.

turn based was fine before the 2000. shit afterwards.

nah, eat a dick grandpa, 3D was the logical next-step, it made videogames a lot better.

Bravely Default is garbage, half the game is time loop stupidity. FF5 was 1000 times better. I suspect most people praising it don't play past chapter for or avoid the true ending route.

This is b8.

there you have it folks, turn based RPGs made after the 00's are the special olympics of the videogame world. literally made for faulty broken people.

Braille-controlled Sound-only based RPG when?

everything you post is shit. just leave.

what about my preordered copy of F4?

This is child logic. I called you out, and you tried to ignore me because you knew I was right, then when I bullied your underage ass into responding you say kiddy shit like
Grow the fuck up. If you're going to say retarded shit like
Then at least be prepared to back your retarded statements up.

Every game is an RPG (role-playing game) because it's a game where you play the role of your character.

>>>/reddit/

Reminder that Doom is not exactly 3D and it's still better than any 3D shooter, including Quake.

Reddit ruined this place.

What about people with no hands?
And what about deaf people?

Disabilities existing is enough of a reason for turn-based games to exist. Or do you feel that losing a hand or something means that you have no right to play vidya?

Xenogears by far.

Listen here you little shit, you could make any action game with rpg elements back then no problem as it would be making the first part being the main game then add rpg mechanic variables after, but turn based combat required making a separate function with it's own variables within the game, it used to be such a drain on the systems internal storage to implement such mechanics that English versions of games would have words cut just to have that little bit of extra space to fit all of this shit.
It wasn't due to limitations and in fact was much, much more resource intensive then any other genre at the time to make a functioning game of till the Playstation and now there was 300+MB and multiple disks to fit all this shit on.

See this? This an ARPG on the NES.

It's shitty knowing I post with children like you.

Both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi did it better.

I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out but basically all games can be paused so your whole argument is shit.

Well put, user.

My main complaint is the most recent games ditching bros. moves after Superstar Saga. Those are still my favorite ones.

where is the gameplay in turn based games? I am not going to go full retard like the other user did but I go in looking for a game and I dont find one, perhaps because I am retarded.
please enlighten me.

Also it's a boss fight you should be giving it everything you have to damage it, not just doing little pot shots because reasons.

Depends on how in depth the dev goes into it but it comes down to thinking the optimal way to do anything with what you have, how can you do it which using the least MP while not losing as much HP.
Then you have games like SMT which till 4 that made the combat brain dead max DPS spam you also had to focus on current buff stacks and drops because they were made very strong, having simply +1 speed boost could on the right demon mean others simply wont hit it.

Turned based anything is boring as fuck.

My general rule of thumb is if you can play it on a tabletop it's not worth being a video game. There needs to be some element of engagement past a select screen.

If you didn't play Super Mario RPG growing up, you might as well just kill yourself.

Soujinengi.
Every party member is unique and still needs to pull his weight in endgame battles.
On top of that there's the bomb system that makes long battles and dungeons tense since it requires very careful resource management, no popping mana potions allowed.

So by half of the fucking retard logic in this thread, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is also a shitty, boring game?
You dense motherfucking children. I hate each and every one of you.

And yet it takes less effort to make a Golden Axe esque game then a Dragon Quest esque game.

As a dude who literally does this shit for a living, you are the super retard.

RPGs are always going to be divisive because of the "Dude, where's my action?" people who aren't into the statistical management and optimization that RPGs are about.
You just kinda have to accept that people who don't 'get' it are gonna act like idiots when discussing it.

FFTA is a shitty boring game. That was a stupid title to pick as it's not very devise, it's universally panned.

It was what now? Shit, I thought everyone loved it.

Final Fantasy Tactics? Yeah, a lot of people loved that.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, though? That's on the other end of the scale.

If you'd said FFTactics or Tactics Ogre then people would be universally agreeing with you.
FFTA is mostly just remembered as a good game by people who haven't played many SRPGs.

FFX has the best system tbh.

You sure these aren't just a personal problem?

The Grandia series has the best turn based battle system ever created.

FFTA2 is pretty good, though. It kind of feels like it's an attempt to be "open world" with its nonlinearity. SRW has the best tactics RPG battle system, though.

Good bait.
I hope.

Yeah, the platforming isn't great, but the battle system is a work of mad genius. When you finally get a handle on it, nothing else comes close to that level of intense intensity.

God tier taste, but not much to do with JRPGs
Meh, nothing but cheap deaths, trial and error, clucncky ass combat… the bosses are the only saving grace that game has but now tha Niho is out the Souls series is pretty much obsolete
Exept for resource managing, you blow all your MP and items at the dungeon's entrance and you'll get fucked by the boss, not to mention many of these games have brain wrecking strategies when it comes to fucking up your enemies or being fucked by them
Try playing any Pokemon game with that mindset and you'll get your shit kicked in
This is the only thing you said that makes some sence, many of the old games go a little bit over the top with the random encounters

Random battles are great in that they had tension and really compliment the resource/MP management element of turn based games. The only time random encounters are shit are when they are poorly designed and have Breath of Fire II/ Skies of Arcadia DC level encounter rates.

Valkyrie Profile has by far the best battle sistem in any JRPG
hur dur this is easy just smash the buttons and win
FUCKIN WILL'O WISPS FUCKIN ZOMBIE DRAGONS, FUCKIN VAMPIRES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

piss easy timing based attacks with forgiving timing windows and dump your best attacks to win, very SE. Very boring.

not gonna agree entierly on this but there is a big chunck of truth behid it
I wouldn't say 3D but realism is what is killing the industry
There is a reason why so many indy games opt for pixels instead polygons and it's not just because they are easyer to make
They also age better, MUCH BETTER Crash Bandicoot is the only PS1 games i remeber that aged like wine and it was basically 2D with polygons

THIS
No 3D would mean no stagnation in the current industrie but no, everyone has to push for shinny graphic to impress casuals

just take a look at the lates games coming out
Shitty scavenging and crafting gameplay lifted right from Bethesda, shitty stealth with X,ray Vision wich Batman games had alrready done better, mediocre cover shooting gameplay
A fun roller coaster ride, but way to linear, same mediocre cover shotting as every other game out there but made more netretaining thanks to plataforming and a secret hunt added there to spice things up
TLOU wannabe
6 is Literrally a Michael Bay movie but with shitty controls, 7 is an Outlast/Texas Chainsaw Masacre rip off with generic enemies crammed in to justify the precense of guns
I coulñd go on but you should get the idea

Bloodbane would like t have a word with you

What an absolutely garbage opinion you have there also. Sometimes I'm glad this board has no influence on the industry other than shitty out retards like Yandre-dev.

This is that game from the autist milking man, isn't it. Looks riveting.

VP2 and Resonance of Fate are fantastic battle systems. RoF is nice because it doesn't work if you want to just cawadoody everything, you need to plan out a little more on what to hit and where to put your chracters. A few mistakes is all it takes for everything to snowball into death. The end game gets fairly samey with tactics but it's otherwise still fun.

You just described this game user.

Live A Live has a pretty interesting battle system.

lufia 1

But rpg style is poo, it's better for it to be actiony like shadow of the colossus or kingdom hearts or legend of zelda games or even meme souls.

Go play this and see if you still feel that way.

Not that it's a bad game, but it torpedoed the franchise in both the west and east.

They already said notVC won't have any effect on the regular VC series. NotVC is just a spinoff