Why do sports and racing games lack any resale value?

How come no one wants them?

Gran Turismo 1-3 sells pretty well.

team-based games have bad resale because casual sportiers get anal about "muh rosters" and having them up-to-date.

most racing and other types along that line mostly go down due to technological age (eg. visuals, platform release), and so on.

They're not creating a story set in time, the games are meant to emulate the current season as best as current hardware can. They are disposed of and near worthless as the game isn't accurate anymore after the year is over.

He should have excluded that, kart games, wipeout, etc.

Normalfags play them in a brief attempt to emulate the sports mens on the teevee, forget about them, then buy the new ones when marketing reminds them about the sports mens.

What?
Aren't games like FIFA and Madden extremely popular with normalfags?

They're popular during initial sales but have no resale value. Who wants to buy last year's roster with usually less features than the current version?

because they release updates literally every year

The realistic ones have no value once the newest yearly game comes out.
Only arcade styled or fantasy sport games are the ones to retain any value

Because many are annual releases… … never mind.

Because at the end of the day, most people who buy sports games already watch and/or play sports. Racing games are fun, but they lack the small bits of variety that other repetitive games have, so the monotony sets in sooner.

Because unlike just about every other game, sports and the sports-like racing games become obsolete as time goes on, due to changes in the real-world rosters.
They're worth preserving, but only as a curiosity, like children's toys.

Resale value aside, when I see posts like I have to remind people about what they're forgetting:
Older sports/racing games can be extremely important when later versions are absolute fucking dogshit which is common for EA
I think the last EA Sports title that was even decent was in the mid-2000's?

muh current year is a necessity in these games.

Can't vouch for racing games because I don't play F1 stuff, but all sports games are inherently seasonal because, aside from very few circumstances (PES 6, FIFA 98, PES 2016, ISS Deluxe etc.) where they revamp the entire game's structure and create a perfectly sound experience, most of the time it's just roster updates and minor changes no one ever wanted. And nowadays, gachashit.

can you break people's legs in sport games yet?

EA basically ruined their NASCAR series. I don't know exactly when it happened but everything from at least the 5 years is absolute dog shit

It's a damn shame, NASCAR 2005 for the PS2 was basically perfection. The simulation was really good and so was the career mode. I used to play it every day and race full length races (2+ hours a race) just for the strategy. Every EA stock car game I've played since then felt like a straight up lazy arcade racer.

Also THPS

Fifa hasn't been good since 2002.

You'd think that sports games with notable year would be somewhat popular. Like the year when team X had legendary lineup of famous players Z, Y and W

Doesn't work with sports games because most will have special teams to represent that roster, often something that you unlock as a bonus for going through career mode.

The thing with sportsfags is they're totally autistic when it comes to their sport of choice. They want the fresh game so they can play as all the rookie players or the new line up of vets on a team that just got good. They want to create themselves and run through career mode as a coach/player to live out their fantasy. They see nothing wrong with paying $60 a year for the privilege.

My friend is a prime example of this. He fancies himself a bookie and watches football/basket ball both pro and college leagues. He spends more time looking at stats or setting up tournaments watching the CPU play than he does playing against the CPU or other people. He'll play an old game sure but he's not paying more than $5 for it and he's not going to play it long. To him the game play isn't the most important thing.

Not quite. While that's the standard for then, it sure doesn't feel that way now.

Neat~
Gay.

Konami added Classic Players and Classic Teams, but they're just old nationals and do not have that kind of shit. Pes 2000 had actual fucking Classic Teams, as in teams that dominated their tourneys for quality or scores, picking two classic teams also put you in a black-and-white mode which was neat AF.

Also these sports games suck because they have no easter eggs at all.

Admittedly I'm several years removed from regularly playing Madden. I imagine it's shit though just like that horrible UFC game my friend forced me to play awhile back. He subscribed to EA service where he lets them jew him every month for access to all the games.

When the Dreamcast/PS2 came out I told everyone this is great we'll no longer have to buy a game every year. Instead we're going to get roster updates through the internet! Then I watched EA jew their way to exclusive access to all major pro and college teams. With no competition they kept the money rolling in while making each new game worse than the last. People just accepted it and they still do.

Madden is one of the many reason why I lost faith in the human race.

What kind of easter eggs were you expecting?

I have my own grudges with EA.

RIP Burnout

In Gameday 98 if you tackled someone with a big hit and the weather was nasty (heavy rain/snow storm) he'd get struck by lighting. Used to be a lot of fun things like that in football games.

That too user, damn you for making me remember. I'll never forgive them for throwing away Crash Party are Burnout 3. It was the best part of the damn game. Everyone loved that shit even my friends that didn't play vidya.

Was NASCAR 2016 or whatever that bad? I thought Dusenberry Martin Racing would be at least a step up from Eutechnyx's garbage since they were mostly guys from Papyrus who did the old NASCAR Racing games. If so oh well, I guess NASCAR Racing 2004 with seasonal mods will always be the best NASCAR game, just like how Madden 08 with seasonal mods is the best NFL football game.

Fifa 98 had something similar, IIRC the second player could use bolts of lighting to incinerate random players

ISS Pro had German Shepherds instead of refs and they'd also strut around holding the offside flag in their mouths, other PES games had ostrich and dinosaur costumes… I guess what I'd really like to see back in sports games and sports sim is the whole "fun" aspect of it, instead of the way too tryhard approach at realism, which doesn't even work half the time. I don't want every game to play like a classic Arcade title a la Neo Geo Cup 98, I just wish they'd have fun shit to do outside of the Exhibition-Online Exhibition-Master League knockoff-League modes that are pretty much all there is (outside of gachashit modes but haha as if I'd give a cent to these companies). They even removed Benuldies tournaments from recent PES iterations, something that was a staple of the series. PES Wii did something really cool instead, basically it was like Megaman Soccer but good and with waggling.

Also, rewatching that video made me realize that not only did the commentary become much more stale in later entries for both series, even the whole Shots-on-target and Fouls-Against shit that used to pop up once in a while is gone because "muh e-sports".

Blame the NFL Players Association for that one: they didn't want any game involving current players who are in the union doing silly things like that, or like ambulances running onto the field to pick up an injured player, running over everybody in the process, or encouraging over the top violence, which is why later NFL Blitz games toned down the violence.

I doubt it was toned down because of e-sports but because of player unions. This is the big problem with sports games, honestly. If you want to make a realistic sports game that simulates the sport as much as possible you basically have to include real world players and teams or your game won't sell, as the various flops that were produced by non-EA companies after the NFL Players Association signed their exclusivity deal, like 2K's All Pro-football 2008 or Blitz the League. Even non-ball sports fall to this. Nobody would play Gran Turismo if they didn't have real world cars. Otherwise you have to make a sports game that is very arcadey with either gimmicks and/or characters from an IP, as the Mario sports games do.

They release the same thing again with slightly different tweaks. The rules of real sports never change or evolve and is limited by the physical world. There is typically nothing to make the game stand out in any aspect.

There are some sports games which are unique and interesting which make them worth playing. Like NBA Jam, Drift Out, Sega Rally, Windjammers.

I'm not talking about names, I'm talking about color-commentating the match. They started copy and pasting voice lines from older versions and adding the bare minimum to reflect current top clubs' standings. Back in the days no player was ever named, but the comments were snappier, more dramatic and more fun to listen to. "I don't think he's going to recover" while a player is getting abducted by the UFO? Instant classic.

I unironically think that ESPN NFL 2k5 is the greatest sports game of all time. It had more features and better graphics at the time compared to Madden, a VIP system, your own house where you could keep trophies and upgrade stuff, and a full broadcast recapping each game. Also it was 20 dollars on release. 20 FUCKING DOLLARS

Also the point about unions is correct, that's the reason we dont get college games anymore, is because of lawsuits between former NCAA players and the NCAA. Those games were fun

fuck EA

I miss arcade like sports games, do they make them anymore? I know they released a new nba jam game a few years back.

gee, i wonder why there's no resale value

Wrong.

Anyone who says that competition doesn't make games better is talking out of their ass.

I'd be okay with funny-names like "licensed" games, but the niggers actually playing these don't want anything that isn't a realistic-roster sim.

I believe they do. Some mobileshit games are heavily inspired (read: copy and pasted) from earlier Arcade titles, but there are 0 new upcoming sports games that aren't from the main two competitors.

What about Mario Kart?

Their basketball games also went down the shitter as well, hell, there was a long ass hiatus from, like, 2010 up until the ps4 launch because the games they were making were so bad and buggy that fucking EA wouldn't publish them.

The FIFA and NHL games are what keep EA alive OP, you just don't hang out with normalfags.

Because publishers and devs go full jew with these. Your favourite racing game will be irrelevant in a year and you'll have to get the next one and restart all your progress and spend thousands of fucking pounds on DLC cars that will once gain, be worthless in a year fuck you microsoft stop milking forza

Wait there are people who play sports vidya in singleplayer?

I'm mostly talking about multiplayer in that post.

Career modes can be really enjoyable. While they don't teach you how to get better at the game per se, they let you understand what works and what doesn't within the game's physics, stats, tiers etc.
You can use those skills you acquire within career mode to become a better player in multi simply by picking the choices that aren't "muh fave team".

What's the point if you can't make muh favorite team muh best team?

I'm not saying you can't do that in career mode, but try and play as anything but the top teams of that year's roster. If your muh fav is low or even middle ranking, all the skill in the world will not carry you through the entire season, you need to learn how to micromanage their skills, acquire players from other teams and find a strategy that suits you better than what the devs made for that team. And it's at that point that you realize that even while playing your own fave, there are just some players that are way better to own than to hate, while certain drawbacks of the devs' versions of your favourite players arise that make you question what is overpowered and what is gimmicky and situational.

You'll never see that shit while playing with top teams all the time though. Ironically serious tournaments use just top teams, but the people using said teams have a better grasp on the game's gimmicks and stats, so you'll see them heavily altering the standard formation to suit their playstyle.

Huh, kinda fascinating.

bump

NASCAR Heat Evolution is fucking awful, even worse than the Eutechnyx iterations from previous years. Gameplay and controls are even more arcade-ish. The Eutechnyx games, while shitty at least I find them fun, Heat Evolution is almost Daytona USA tier arcade even with all assists turned off and in the hardest level.

But just pirate and see if you like it, many people seem to have liked it better than the Eutechnyx games. They usually claim the AI is great and much better than in the Eutechnyx games. I think I must be living in some kind of parallel interconnected universe and played a different game, because for me the AI seems to be pretty much the same.

they get boring quick