ITT: small things in games that affected you

Luke Morris
Luke Morris

play EDF2025
random EDF soldier dies
just lies there, ragdolled.
feel more saddened by looking at this random mook dying than I feelt watching some elaborate over the top cutscene death.

Kevin Cox
Kevin Cox

Nothing comes to mind aside from what you've already mentioned.

Accidentally hit EDF soldier with a rocket
He dies
Feel actual guilt

Luis Hernandez
Luis Hernandez

The first Pixie from SMT: Nocturne. Is the only genuinely good character in the game, everyone else has some agenda they try to push by using you. She may only have had something like 4 lines of dialogue, but I feel more of a connection with her than anyone else in the game. It may be intentional, seeing as she evolves into uber-Pixie later.

Jordan Parker
Jordan Parker

You can change character's clothing
Put thigh-highs on a chick
Instead of it just being a texture that's painted over the skin, her thighs slightly bulge out of the thigh-highs

Such a small detail, but damn if it isn't appreciated.

Henry Mitchell
Henry Mitchell

Resident Evil 4
reach Farm
try to aim at Ganado from afar
accidentally shoot cow\
GROAN
cow keels over in a puddle of its own blood
Start
restart from checkpoint
Nope. Nope nope. She didn't deserve that.

Kayden Rodriguez
Kayden Rodriguez

snowman asks you to carry a piece of him with you so he can see the world
take a piece
take another piece
he asks you to stop
take another piece
he begs you to stop
take another piece
try to take another piece
"it's just a pile of snow"

Hudson Gray
Hudson Gray

Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Your character from the GBC game has grown older, retired and now relives their glory days by training new golfers

Silent Hill 3
Watching Valtiel turn those cranks
Plummeting the world into a deeper hell with each turn

Any non-open world game with huge vistas you'll never explore

Thank a you a so much for a playing my game!

AssCreed Revelations
Desmond never getting to thank his father

Yume Nikki
Masada playing his piano, alone and wordless in a universe he doesn't even really exist in

Burnout 3
You never get to go down the other roads

Huh, most of these are more like regrets than anything. Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to the future of VR - make game worlds more tangible.

Justin Allen
Justin Allen

Wat game

Luke Campbell
Luke Campbell

Mr. Heil Hitler dubs, I know exactly what you mean.
And I really, really want a Pixie to sit on my shoulder and giggle. I want to headpat her too.

Joshua Johnson
Joshua Johnson

pokemon gets knocked out
it's friendship level goes down

pikmin dies from bomb rock/pikmon extinction
Olimar's writes about his incompetence in the journal that night

ally is injured
their dialogue changes to fit how injured they are

Owen Carter
Owen Carter

Play ranger in EDF 4.1
Try and keep all my squad alive with my healing, constantly pick up healthkits while at full health just to heal my squad
Can actually feel the loss of troops in those big battles where they are whittled down
Those screams on the radio actually end up corresponding to my own troops dying
Tfw I finally finish off the last of the enemy horde/last ship/last queen and look around only to discover my squad of 20 troops has turned into a squad of 2
Tfw I fight through multiple large battles and am often the only one who makes it through alive

The final mission was great because it starts off feeling like everyone else has died and you are going to have to take on this impossible task alone, even if you win there is nobody else left to celebrate with. Then more and more squads surface to come to your aid and you realize there is still hope, EDF elicited more emotion from me with pure gameplay and background audio than any of these AAA games with their 2 hour cutscenes and shitty characters ever could.

Adrian Perez
Adrian Perez

pick up health pack
heals everyone around me
none of my friends ever die again
That final boss though is a rollercoaster of feels no game before or since can hope to match.

Julian Peterson
Julian Peterson

I don't mean to be an edgelord, but am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about them? I just keep shooting. The missions always end with me being the last one anyways. The rangers get in the goddamn way all the time, the fencers are slow and useless, wing divers are okay though.

Jace Rodriguez
Jace Rodriguez

Iji when I played it for the first time and killed everything

Kill a Tasen soldier for the first time
Iji whimpers "I'm sorry"

Endgame
Kill random mooks
Iji laughs and screams "DIE!"

And one of my favorites

Throughout the course of the game find the logs of a Tasen soldier worrying about her girlfriend
>Her final log has her in total despair because she discovers that you killed her a long time ago
>The Tasen go extinct because the Komato kill them all and you pick up her last log from her corpse

Matthew Fisher
Matthew Fisher

I always feel really melancholic when I stop to thing about the amount of casualties I rack up in a strategy game. Stuff like Company of Heroes or whatever, where you can see the stats of your squads after the game. How many men they killed, how many of your men died.

It's always really bad in Grand Strategy games, especially when you can see the total casualty number. That shit gets pushed up into the millions and all you get out of it is a stretch of land. It doesn't bother me for more than a second, but it makes me think about things a little.

Henry Perry
Henry Perry

Nah. I hate them so goddamn much due to how many times I've died on difficult missions due to one running in front of me, but its still nice bonus to end a mission with as many friends alive as possible, and some missions actually require keeping them alive else you end up getting completely overwhelmed Fucking green ants

Mason Johnson
Mason Johnson

Sounds to me like you'd appreciate Ender's Game.

Dominic Howard
Dominic Howard

Depends on what class I played.

As ranger I liked keeping them alive and focused on it, pretty much what I posted above.
As an Air raider I also felt like a normal troop since they are not as strong on their own as other classes so I wanted them to live because they felt really useful. It's pretty easy to accidentally mass murder them as an air raider though due to misplaced air strikes and such.
Haven't played wing diver much but I would either not care because they are stuck on the ground while I fly around or I would desperatly try and keep them alive even more than the ranger because the Wing diver can't sing on her own.
As Fencer I completely ignore them and usually end up genociding them since they seem to think my gatling gun shoots power ups or something. Playing Fencer also feels a lot more like playing a one man army rather than as part of a group.

Austin Watson
Austin Watson

As Fencer I completely ignore them and usually end up genociding them since they seem to think my gatling gun shoots power ups or something. Playing Fencer also feels a lot more like playing a one man army rather than as part of a group.

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one. I should have mentioned that I also play Fencer. I guess I sometimes try my best to keep the rangers with rockets or tanks alive, but I don't go out of my way anymore. I hope they add some more intelligent NPCs and/or new allies in the next game. It would be pretty neat seeing ai controlled air raiders coordinating with you and for lockon weapons.

Noah Smith
Noah Smith

Thank a you a so much for a playing my game!
The 100% endings of Crash Team Racing and Spyro: Year of the Dragon both have epilogues to show what happened to the characters after. Those aren't what get me. What gets me is at the "Thanks for playing" at the end of the Scrapbook (hard as shit to unlock) in CTR, and the end of the 100% credits in Spyro 3. Especially in Spyro 3, because they say "Thanks for playing the Spyro Trilogy." They knew it was the end of the series. If only I accepted that instead of buying the shitty sequels that came after. These are little bits that didn't get me at the time, but really do now.

Ayden Clark
Ayden Clark

Ace Combat 4 had ally chatter that would dwindle as their numbers fell, and sometimes, if you left the enemy aces alone to rampage through your friendlies, the chatter just stops. No screams of << Radio failure! >> or nuggets asking which way to break to evade a missile, it's just you, SkyEye, and a lot of enemies on your tail.

It caught me off guard the first time it happened on Comona, because I got frustrated with trying to shoot down the Yellow that's on that map. Turns out he kills everyone if you take your eye off him for a second. It also happened on Megalith, because holy shit I did not expect the hastily restructured Yellow Squadron composed of remnants and trainees to be legit. It felt pretty bad to hear your newly formed Mobius Squadron getting ripped out of the sky by the makeshift Yellows as you raced to the objective.

Cameron Price
Cameron Price

Valkyrie Drive. Not worth importing honestly but that's one of the few things that left an impression on me.

In 2025, you are the last man and no one comes to back you up.
Carrier goes down. Nearly everyone is dead.
"Wait a minute, someone is still fighting… is that Storm Team!?"
Those last few mission truly show how fucked humanity was. I agree with you when you said it evoked more emotion out of me than most games. Speaking of which, that scream Artorias makes when you kill him in Dark Souls.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit