ITT: small things in games that affected you

Nothing comes to mind aside from what you've already mentioned.

The first Pixie from SMT: Nocturne. Is the only genuinely good character in the game, everyone else has some agenda they try to push by using you. She may only have had something like 4 lines of dialogue, but I feel more of a connection with her than anyone else in the game. It may be intentional, seeing as she evolves into uber-Pixie later.

Such a small detail, but damn if it isn't appreciated.

Nope. Nope nope. She didn't deserve that.

Huh, most of these are more like regrets than anything. Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to the future of VR - make game worlds more tangible.

Wat game

Mr. Heil Hitler dubs, I know exactly what you mean.
And I really, really want a Pixie to sit on my shoulder and giggle. I want to headpat her too.

The final mission was great because it starts off feeling like everyone else has died and you are going to have to take on this impossible task alone, even if you win there is nobody else left to celebrate with. Then more and more squads surface to come to your aid and you realize there is still hope, EDF elicited more emotion from me with pure gameplay and background audio than any of these AAA games with their 2 hour cutscenes and shitty characters ever could.

That final boss though is a rollercoaster of feels no game before or since can hope to match.

I don't mean to be an edgelord, but am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about them? I just keep shooting. The missions always end with me being the last one anyways. The rangers get in the goddamn way all the time, the fencers are slow and useless, wing divers are okay though.

Iji when I played it for the first time and killed everything

And one of my favorites

>Her final log has her in total despair because she discovers that you killed her a long time ago
>The Tasen go extinct because the Komato kill them all and you pick up her last log from her corpse

I always feel really melancholic when I stop to thing about the amount of casualties I rack up in a strategy game. Stuff like Company of Heroes or whatever, where you can see the stats of your squads after the game. How many men they killed, how many of your men died.

It's always really bad in Grand Strategy games, especially when you can see the total casualty number. That shit gets pushed up into the millions and all you get out of it is a stretch of land. It doesn't bother me for more than a second, but it makes me think about things a little.

Nah. I hate them so goddamn much due to how many times I've died on difficult missions due to one running in front of me, but its still nice bonus to end a mission with as many friends alive as possible, and some missions actually require keeping them alive else you end up getting completely overwhelmed Fucking green ants

Sounds to me like you'd appreciate Ender's Game.

Depends on what class I played.

As ranger I liked keeping them alive and focused on it, pretty much what I posted above.
As an Air raider I also felt like a normal troop since they are not as strong on their own as other classes so I wanted them to live because they felt really useful. It's pretty easy to accidentally mass murder them as an air raider though due to misplaced air strikes and such.
Haven't played wing diver much but I would either not care because they are stuck on the ground while I fly around or I would desperatly try and keep them alive even more than the ranger because the Wing diver can't sing on her own.
As Fencer I completely ignore them and usually end up genociding them since they seem to think my gatling gun shoots power ups or something. Playing Fencer also feels a lot more like playing a one man army rather than as part of a group.

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one. I should have mentioned that I also play Fencer. I guess I sometimes try my best to keep the rangers with rockets or tanks alive, but I don't go out of my way anymore. I hope they add some more intelligent NPCs and/or new allies in the next game. It would be pretty neat seeing ai controlled air raiders coordinating with you and for lockon weapons.

The 100% endings of Crash Team Racing and Spyro: Year of the Dragon both have epilogues to show what happened to the characters after. Those aren't what get me. What gets me is at the "Thanks for playing" at the end of the Scrapbook (hard as shit to unlock) in CTR, and the end of the 100% credits in Spyro 3. Especially in Spyro 3, because they say "Thanks for playing the Spyro Trilogy." They knew it was the end of the series. If only I accepted that instead of buying the shitty sequels that came after. These are little bits that didn't get me at the time, but really do now.

Ace Combat 4 had ally chatter that would dwindle as their numbers fell, and sometimes, if you left the enemy aces alone to rampage through your friendlies, the chatter just stops. No screams of > or nuggets asking which way to break to evade a missile, it's just you, SkyEye, and a lot of enemies on your tail.

It caught me off guard the first time it happened on Comona, because I got frustrated with trying to shoot down the Yellow that's on that map. Turns out he kills everyone if you take your eye off him for a second. It also happened on Megalith, because holy shit I did not expect the hastily restructured Yellow Squadron composed of remnants and trainees to be legit. It felt pretty bad to hear your newly formed Mobius Squadron getting ripped out of the sky by the makeshift Yellows as you raced to the objective.

Valkyrie Drive. Not worth importing honestly but that's one of the few things that left an impression on me.

In 2025, you are the last man and no one comes to back you up.
Those last few mission truly show how fucked humanity was. I agree with you when you said it evoked more emotion out of me than most games. Speaking of which, that scream Artorias makes when you kill him in Dark Souls.