Can we have a TECHNOLOGY thread?

Can we have a TECHNOLOGY thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/karliekloss
dropbox.com/s/iy8w2dt15l5w29v/Besiege.rar?dl=0
voxelquest.com/news/how-does-it-work
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>>Holla Forums

am I being memed? Do you not know what TECHNOLOGY threads are?

bump, I wish I had some examples

As cool as that looks, I can't help but imagine shooting other sections of that hill only to see it to nothing more than kick up a puff of dirt.

Is it like QUALITY threads but about technology, or is it the other way with cool technological feats and elements? Because judging about webums it's about cool shit.

those are specific slopes that you slide down and jump on them. They're actually pretty well implemented in the single player. Uncharted 4 has some good level design motifs.

Another bit of TECNOLOGY in the game is when you're standing in a ray of light, if you position Nathan in a way that his ear is partially in the light, you can actually see the cartilage in his ear. Uncharted 4 is objectively the best looking game at the moment.

I'd say that award goes to Unreal Tournament 4 if we're judging only by graphical fidelity, something like Limbo if we're judging on overall aesthetic, or Crysis 1 if we're judging by the amount of TECHNOLOGY (lots of cool physics shit).

ut4 isn't out yet, I think limbo's aesthetics are shit compared to so many other games, and Crysis 1 doesn't have as advanced lighting, physics, and lower resolution assets. I think if you play it, you'd see why I said that.

I'd also argue uncharted 4 looks better than ut4 currently does.

Anyone have that image of a post where a woman is comparing her code to a guy's, where she wrote some simple 1+1 shit (that had errors), and the one she is comparing it to is John Carmack's infamous Fast inverse square root code?

Limbo's aesthetic is shit.

motherfucker

Carmack didn't invent the fast inverse square root. He didn't even know how it worked, just that it did.

Nevermind, found it.

HIGHEST QUALITY PIXELS!

I'm really hoping that shit isn't real.

It's just dust, you wouldn't be able to breathe in it.

That would be pretty cool though, I remember reading a sci-fi short story about digging a massive pit on mars to make it deep enough to create 1 atmosphere.

it is

nigger I've been playing it all day, only 6 of the maps are finished but there's around 20 you can play that just have placeholder graphics and are all practically finished maps gameplay wise I think volcano is shit though

The fast inverse square root example could have certainly used a comment telling the user to look up fast inverse square root, but other than that this is pathetic.

I don't want to judge the game on the alpha build. I'll wait for it to be considered gold before I play it. I insist you'll be very impressed with what the game pulls off in its single player.

ut4 alpha>overwatch

no interest in overwatch, but sure.

It's been in alphaâ„¢ for three fucking years now

yeah, I don't feel comfortable with that. Seeing what they have now in the few completed maps, Uncharted 4 looks better.

I want to go back to my home universe

take a look at the twitter of the person posting, it's real and intended to be taken seriously.

There are so things wrong on that picture I cant even begin to organize my thoughts

At least Im sure she knows that's bullshit and she just wanted likes or retweets or whatever

Eh, even low budget indie games like Slime Rancher can pull this off and do it better to boot.

Images are from the devs official blog so don't bitch to me about the filenames.

They aren't the most technically impressive, but the halo games always look remarkably good for the time they come out on, and everything from 3 onwards has aged amazingly well, because they have just enough technical backbone and just the right amount of stylization; and have really damn good art design and use of color.

They also just outright have the best skyboxes in the medium, each one for the time of their release. Hell reach and 3 still have better skyboxes then 99% of games. A shame that it's impossible to capture how pretty they are in single screenshots or without motion since most are animated.

H2A is, personally, the most visually pleasing game i've seen.

Uncharted 4 has the worst story and the least amount of gameplay when compared to its predecessors, but the graphics are amazing (for a console game) and the tech is rock solid.

Do I still think the game is overall shit? Yes, but even shit games can get one or two things right.

Women were a mistake.

twitter.com/karliekloss

I don't think this is true. The gameplay:cutscene ratio feels fucking sublime compared to 3.

whoops forgot one

I'm not necessarily saying it's impressive with current tech, it's just impressive in general that we are at that point where it's possible, any one of what you posted i'd say would be worthy to post in these threads too

phew, you had me worried for a second there.

more like WASTED technology on shitty ass games with shallow gameplay for braindead consoleshitters

I have a lot of appreciation for Halo's visuals. A lot of hard work goes into them, and you can tell. Not too big on the Anniversary aesthetic

it's objectively speaking the most technologically advanced game of all time, and I strongly disagree about the gameplay, it may have those annoying as fuck walkie talkie moments out the ass, but the platforming is actually interesting now, the shooting segments are a lot better and much more free form in their design, and the integration of the hook is a superb addition that gives the game a sense of speed it desperately needed.

why would I lie to you, user?

Wait are you talking about Uncharted or UT4? I don't think the UT guys have any intention of working on singleplayer, and the only part of Uncharted's singleplayer that really impressed me was the convoy chase and general character animation quality.

That's pretty fair, I really wish developers would put more effort into skyboxes.

walking forward or interacting with things in your house != gameplay

I dislike walking segments pretending to be gameplay probably equally as much as you do user, but they really don't compose much of the whole of Uncharted 4.

The first 3 or 4 chapters are very slow, granted, but the gameplay and level design thereafter is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the series and the amount of gameplay available is at least as much as in the second game.

yes, I was talking about uncharted 4. The convoy chase scene was incredible, but parts like the crumbling clock tower, or the discovered ruins, you could clearly tell how they were one-upping previous moments in the series, they did a great job at it.

I don't have a video but Destiny had mind-bending 3d textures on screens. It's pretty cool.

oh god I just went back and looked at the code itself
>if (a > b && b < a)
redundant and overcomplicated
firstly never ever do something like this, if you don't think that it should ever get to that return then set up exception handling so that you know there's a bug in whatever used your function rather than it returning 5 which would make the program behave strangely, but also there is no case for if the numbers are equal which means that if they are equal, it will return 5 which doesn't make any sense.

also those comments are cancer.

I'm assuming you've only ever seen CE anniversary. While I disagree that it's bad or doesn't match the original intent of CE, 2's visuals are extremely accurate, to a fault i'd argue in some areas

The only thing that even slightly don't match the original game are:

- the gravemind, which has an altered design (but it matches the concept art bungie had of the gravemind that they had to cut due to technical limitations)

- The underwater sections on regret, which now have visible ruins vs the black blobs of the original, again, since the original had technical limits.

- The updated SMG design in the campaign are blockier then they could have been for a straight update, the MP (since the MP remake is done by a different studio) has a more accurate model

- The fuel rod gun and plasma pistol uses the Halo reach/4 design rather then an updated version of the Halo 2 one. Every other gun uses an updated version of the halo 2 design. Even the ODSTS's uses the original

- The spec ops grunt in The Arbiter and The oarcle use the Reach armor vs just purple normal grunt armor; presumbly to prevent accidental teamkiling None of the other covenant have rank based armor, just color differentiation like in the original personally I wish they would have done it with all of them

- The arbiter has a unique skin/scale texture and indivualized facial anatomy compared to other elites, though the heretics for some reason also use it. They may have also altered his boot design to resemble ripa's armor more (the halo wars arbiter), but the textures and models on the original one were so muddy it's too hard to tell what they were going for anyways

- They added a slight shit eating green to miranda's face during the cutscene you posted when johnsons goes "for a brick, he flew pretty good", like she was trying to contain herself from laughing at johnsons comment, and they added her sniffling and holding back tears when she was reciving her fathers medal from the The Heretic/Armory cutscene. They also accidentally made the gravemind tentacle she holds onto to get johnson out of the pit in the one cutscene into a cable, since I guess they mistook it for one.

Other then that it's a 1:1 upgrade of the orignal down to the exact texture. No art style changes. Music wise, it's also a very faithful upgrade, the exceptions being the replacing of the incubus and breaking benjamin songs due to copyright reasons. The replacements aren't as good and the banshee segment isn't nearly as good as a result.

if you can find a video i'd like to see it

examples of the regret underwater section things, and of the gravemind change

They made it so his teeth are made of skulls and ribcages like they originally wanted, and his body is a single stalk instead of a mass of tentacles, again, to match the original concept art

I'm a huge fan of the bone teeth, not so much of the reduction to a single stalk, it makes him look less lovecraftian since you can see his whole body at once.

Other then that there's absolutely nothing I have any qualms with about the remaster.

Forgot I had some besiege stuff

I have 1gb worth of besiege webms from cuckchan .Holla Forums back when it first came out on early access

dropbox.com/s/iy8w2dt15l5w29v/Besiege.rar?dl=0

You'll note there are subfolders in the rar but 99% of the webms are just in the base directory

some of the shit people have made in it have gotten even more autistic with all the mods it has now.

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

i really want to believe this
but i just don't believe it

Tech works and exists, it's just not useful for games yet

but they said it was usable

they lied or or exaggerated, probably.

i just wanted voxel games mayne

No man's sky

real voxels

It does have real voxels, though? At least I think so?

What is it using then for the terrain generation and destruction?

by real voxels i mean the volumetric pixels
i assumed they were still doing it via polygons, like this guy there's no way in hell i'll believe he made real voxels in unity of all things

as far as i understand, THIS is real voxels

I hate how the term "voxel" has been hijacked.
Because of Minecraft (which doesn't even use voxels) people think it's a rigid style rather than technology (which doesn't have to look like cubes).

what the fuck Holla Forums

Does anyone have any idea how the fuck this works? I've made a simple game engine before and I just cannot comprehend how that shit would fit into memory. He's talking about trillions of atoms, but if you used 8gb of ram you would have 8.5 billion bytes to work with, and even just the 3 floats you'd need to store location would take up 12 bytes leaving 700 million atoms max. Either it's complete bullshit or it's somehow being streamed off an SSD somehow.

magic

It doesn't, user. That's why they release youtube videos instead of games.

dunno man, looked a lot more gamey than the euclidean stuff
and it's not dead as far as i know

This sounds like snake oil because they never actually explain the tech.

They mention the typical limitations of digital atoms, but they completely pass how they supposedly solve it.
They answer problems with hype and promises instead of actual answers.

haven't read the entire thing so i don't know if it's exactly on topic, but here you go
voxelquest.com/news/how-does-it-work

good, you got the whole point of the image
nice dubs tho

I'm fucking sold, Jesus H Christ that shit is amazing, THIS is the future, fuck VR