Megaman games

Look guys I know we all have different preferences, but I am just not getting why so many people like these games.

Like most Capcom games, it's not stylish. It lacks flair and aesthetics, but most importantly the gameplay only just works well, it doesn't truly impress and leave me with a "wow" feeling when I'm done. You show me Street Fighter and I show you KoF. You show me Breath of Fire and I show you Lufia. Show me Devil May Cry and I show you God Hand.

That is besides the point. We can start with a common one: Megaman X. I've just finished my second playthrough, desperately trying to see what all the hubbub is about it. It just doesn't stand out. Everything from the dash ability to the jump pack to the boss patterns are just so blase. You can see similar mechanics introduced in Gunstar Heroes, Vectorman, and RocketKnight Adventures. It's not special.

Even when I played through Megaman 3-5, it was again unimpressive. I received what I found to be a more satisfying experience in Blaster Master.

Then there's the music. Not impressive at all. I could name you many better vidya tunes from the 8-bit or 16-bit era.

Now I know this all sounds like "durrr why don't people like what I like", but what I really want you people to do is explain to me in explicit detail why this game is loved so much. I think it'd be good discussion, and I'm more than willing to discuss gameplay mechanics at length.

tl;dr - Discuss and explain to me why Megaman X is almost universally praised and iconic.

Music is fucking godlike. And their sprite work is often great. Couple it with solid gameplay and you have memorable experiences.

It's a good game and you're either too young to enjoy it or you just have terrible taste in vidya.

I'm 23, my first console was a genesis

Not sure how. Sonic, Time Trax, and Ultinus blow it out of the water. Megaman just sounds like mindless riffs and beats.

Music is extremely subjective anyways, I shouldn't have brought that up.

Mega Man 4 and 6 arguably have the best soundtrack of the 8-bit era, and the music fits the levels and even the setting of the games perfectly.
Not sure why MMX is praised so much though, from what I've played of MMX2 I think I like the latter better

This is literally not an argument.

I don't know about X and Classic since they're the least favorites of mine but Zero and ZX are just unmatched. Very fast, difficult, complete and utter badassry and just very fun to play.

The problem with X is that it has some really good gameplay going for it, it's just the game itself doesn't require you to actually master that gameplay and you're instead left with people who play it like Megaman 1 and end up not knowing how to really have fun blasting through the stages and shit. This trend continues into X2, which is way too easy but has some really fun physics quirks that are a blast to play with(I'm sure there's a video somewhere that shows most of them, but dashing upwards on a slope increases speed and jump height which was something I loved using), X3 which is mostly meh(most notably a big chunk of the bosses just being charge bosses), X4 which is bland(because it had to design stages for both Zero and X), X5(which ripped off most of X4's sprites and ideas, and had two of the biggest jokes of bossfights you've ever seen, Dark Necrobat and X/Zero). X6 is where shit could have really came together because I loved what was done right in that game, but what wasn't was enough to make me not want to replay it at all. X7 and X8 just distorted what was so good and promising about the series.

I don't see how you're not digging the music though. For X3 I could understand.

/thread

Opinion Discarded

Also
First things first they aren't even in the same type of game, God Hand is a unique thing way on its own and second they're both by Capcom you dingus.

some guy named "Egoraptor" who he's a lets player along a guy called "Jontron", What he did was popularized X series better than the classic mega mans

My only complain about all Mega-man games is that the stages are really short, and for some reason most of X5 and X6 stages are yet even more short, terrible level design in those.
But even later installments suffer from this, it's a curse that the areas on a series with this much potential aren't Metroidvania levels of lenght

I just don't jive with it. Arguing music is pointless though.

It's solid, I give it that, but my thing is that it does not stand out sufficiently enough to make me think it's god tier. If the later X games are anything similar I'll likely have a similar opinion.

Then the team who developed God Hand must have had better understanding on what makes a beat-em-up game fun to experiement with.

Also pic related, the genres are similar

Wow, now thats a shitty opinion if ive ever heard one.

i never suggested any of the other features that make a metroidvania what it is, you spoony bard, get some reading comprehension

Well you are a Zerofag after all

Yeah yeah I agree, I remember one of the levels in X6, I think it was Shield Sheldon's, it fucking ends in like two minutes if you have the slightest clue of what the gimmick is and it's a god damn shame because I remember the boss being one of the best. And if you look at Infinity Mjinion's stage it's also nothing but a flat level with a kickass mini boss fight in it and nothing else.

Then you have what's in my opinion the best stage in any X game, Metal Shark Player and it's a fairly long, fairy high skilled and and very difficult stage that really rewards high skill, on the spot decisions and fast mobility and shit. More levels like Metal Shark player would have made me want to play more X.

I think he just wanted much larger levels and I agree.

Only posting best roll

Please, we all know Alia is best roll

God Hand was made by Capcom, dumbass

gotta go fast

I've written and deleted a bunch of post. There is sort of so much here that it's hard to encapsulate all of it.

The mark of a great game is not it's constituent parts, but how they interact with each other. All the examples of games you listed both have problems doing that, as well as being somewhat entirely different. Most of them would be better compared to Contra (specifically Vectorman and Gunstar). They are run and gun titles. I am hesitant when you say "wow factor" since I heavily suspect you mean "shit flying around the screen". That is the most distinguishable aspects of those titles. I wouldn't classify them as the same type of game as any of the mega man games.

Mega Man series has always been about platforming and combat together and how they interact with each other. The movement and the shooting went hand and hand. The main mechanic of the obstacles in the games are how you must figure out how to move and defeat enemies at the same time. A repeating obstacle you encounter through the series is the moving platform that moves back and forth, with another moving platform with an enemy on it that you must jump onto. You have to shoot and move at the same time to continue. This is as foundational as the pipe with a fireball spitting plant in mario. It encapsulates the entire design philosophy in a single bit of gameplay.

There is no separation between exploring and combat. This internal coherency is what leaves it as the classic action/platformer. It does all this with a very limited set of mechanics as well (in X1, you have a regular shot,charge, wall jump, jump, and dash). Elegance is an incredible virtue in video game design. It's what allows problem solving in games instead of just an application of reactions.

There is also a story element that is big. The appreciation of the characters in Mega Man is very strong because their role in the games story is upfront. It's a big part of the games events. And it's pretty non-offensive. Many people can related to it. I don't even remember if there was a plot in vectorman, gunstar heros was about…alien robots? I don't remember. But you know exactly why X is blasting shit and who he is and why he does what he does. If you can't relate or don't care about the character, you have no reason to remember them.

Also your comparisons are terrible. Street Fighter is blase but KOF isn't? BoF vs lufia: two middle-tier RPG series that are, ironically, extremely similar. DMC and GH are both by capcom. And they aren't the same type of game at all. And DMC is bland now? How jaded are you? This is one of those things that calls into question your entire "taste".

I never try to dismiss people with the "shit taste" gambit. But I am starting to suspect you just don't like a genre and are confusing lack of interest with something being poor quality. That or a bad case of nostalgia (considering all the games you referenced came out on the same system around the same time on the first console you admitted to ever playing). Mega Man isn't a run'n'gun shooter. It's like that post about how baulders gate 2 was terrible for a racing game.

Maybe you hate it because you're a sega fan?

So I never played the series and want to blast through it.
Is there any specific point to start at apart from, well, the first one? Or should I just go from 1 to 10?

NOSTALGIA

Megaman fans are just autists trapped in their childhoods experiences of the game.

can confirm nostalgia is a hell of a drug
I used to look back fondly at sonic adventure until I played it again recently

For classic you might want to play Mega Man Powered Up instead of the first MM game, it adds two more bosses and you actually can play as the robot masters. Then keep playing, although personally I'd skip over 2 and 3 because I despise both of these, 2 for being too easy, 3 for having those Doc Robot fights but give them a shot and see if you like them.

For X, play 1 through 5, maybe give 6 and 8 a shot. 7 isn't even worth looking at.

Zero, ZX and Legends(+Misadventures of Tron Bonne), just play them all, I don't know anything about BN or Starforce.

Seems you just don't like the genre.

I never played a Mega Man game until I was 17 and it's one of my favorite series now, at 23.

But I only play x1-3 (thinking about getting ps1 just so i can play 4 and 5) and x2 is my favorite.

Bump

I agree with OP on "not that remarkable". The action is just serviceable and the platform and exploration don't clash with one another, but that's more or less it.

But videogames are the sums of their parts and for their time Megaman hit all the right notes with design and music, which help tremendously, IMO. I just think as far as both action AND platforming goes they have just become "obsolete", in a sense, either because platforming is now just niche for the gaming market or because the series lost its staying power.

Keeping it related just to the main title games, sales began to flag exactly as 3D games hit their stride, and while I do like the Zero games for their gameplay, at that point there wasn't anything they were doing that would really make them 'stand out' like the series originally did (graphical and audio excellence on the NES as well as tight controls; same for MMX on the SNes, but by that time the hardware available [not just on Nintendo] was becoming a lot less cryptic for developers and more stuff was looking just as good as Megaman with more ease). They were all tight and serviceable, but were completely unlikely to win over new fans.

Not coincidentally, I'll wager, ZX was stopped in its tracks due to sales being poor in Japan for ZXA. Then we had MM9 which undoubtly won most attention by virtue of its presentation, and now we're at The Present Year (Mighty Number Nope, the gift that keeps on giving!).

Why people like the same shit for 10 times?
Nostalgia?
Addiction?
Comfort zone?
I dunno man, ask AC fags or CoD fags, who guess what, are mad as shit since new CoD looks like it will be something different.
Even if the first game was good, which in each MM sub-franchise is true, I have no idea why would anyone play the same shit for 4-8 times and the ask for more.

Are you kidding? Capcom's best titles are incredibly stylish.

Speaking personally for a moment, when I was a kid Mega Man was the series I sperged about. For some kids it was Sonic, for some it was Mario, and I liked those fine, but for me Mega Man was the series that always drew my attention.

When I was little I got a Playstation *just* to play Mega Man 8, that was the title that got me to buy it. I couldn't afford a memory card -and didn't realize I'd need one- so I played through that game without ever saving over and over practically every day only alternating playthroughs of Project: Horned Owl and OPM/Pizza Hut demo discs. I added plenty of titles later, but for maybe a year that was all I had.

I remember being like six and going over to some other kids house, they were playing Mega Man 4 I believe, that was my first taste. Four six year olds, four teenagers, all crowded around this tv taking turns.

The game had three main appeals for me

-You're not locked down to a specific path. All the levels are laid out for you. If you're struggling on a certain level, try another first.
-Trained you to strategize. Gaining weapons from defeating bosses felt incredibly rewarding, and of course figuring out "the water weapon probably weakens the fire robot".
-Everything about the mechanics felt incredibly satisfying. Charging up, sliding, and later dashing and wall jumping, calling in your robo-dog buddy for support.

I rarely agree with Egoraptor, but the video he did on Mega Man X is pretty much spot on. The game teaches you how to use it's mechanics so fluidly you don't even realize you're going through a tutorial.

The series has had around what, thirty games for good reason. The walking sound in Mega Man Legends is still one of the coziest most nostalgic sounds I've ever heard.

Glad you agree bro.

That's fair, since it's an old formula, but there is absolutely zero reason for why it couldn't be given a new formula, just like they've done for the last forever. There is literally nothing stopping the production of Mega Man Zero: Revengeance. It would sell decently, without question.

You have bad taste. That's it. It's not bad really, it just means people shouldn't pay attention to the dumb shit you spew. Now go and play your shitty clones of better games. Go.

So you unironically think an uncreative uppercut (shoryuken) is cooler than Iori's special moves?

You think Dante's moveset is cooler and more satisfying than God Hand's moveset?

You shouldn't be talking about shit taste when you defend bland nonsense. Kill yourself.

>That's fair, since it's an old formula, but there is absolutely zero reason for why it couldn't be given a new formula, just like they've done for the last forever.

Capcom was shitting its pants about 'possibly upsetting the fans' back when Svenson was still in the company. This situation completely reversed nowadays, but when Konami announced Lords of Shadow, people were fawning over it (mostly because of Kojima's namedropping, I wager) and people were ragging on Capcom being unable to evolve from 8-bit.

At the same time, the 'hardcore Megaman fans' that Svenson was scared shitless of upsetting had this insufferable "father-knows-best" attitude where they just said the move to return to 8-bit was the best thing to be done and that if you "want your Megaman May Cry", "we don't need you".

I don't know how will things fare under new management now, but back then (and I don't know if Inafune's presence also didn't help it, even if there was that abandoned FPS "Maverick Hunter" project - all his talks in artbooks just have him sound pretty butthurt when you had MM games that weren't platformers) it was looking absolutely haram to not just have jump-and-shoot-man.

For some reason dumb KoFags think that a move looking "cooler" makes for a better game. Pathetic.
I love KoF but retarded shits like you are cancer.

I hate this meme.
Zero games played nothing like MGR.
You weren't doing long combos.
You weren't juggling enemies.
You were hitting and running.
And shooting.
And wall jumping.

Fuck this shitty meme, Zero games and MGR are nothing alike.

Well I do think that Iori's moves are edgy shit. But KOF has generic shoryukenners too.

SF is slow and bland as fuck. It doesn't get you into it. The fighting is jsut about strategically placing yourself and timing, not quick thinking, dodging, and using the right moves. It doesn't get you pumped up and into it.

I've given SF 1-4 a chance. They're all shit dude. Get over yourself.

You're right, Kyo copies Ryu a lot, but even still he's more fun to play as.

SF3>KOF13>SF4=SF5, with SF4 and 5 being really fucking good at that.

But I'm more of a Guilty Gear dude.

Chill the fuck out, fam. The statement is more about styel and genre than exact mechanics. The point is that a 3D character action game like DMC/MGR/Bayonetta with platforming elements is the way to go with making mainline Mega Man 3D, not whatever the fuck X7 was.

and stopped reading right there

Nigger, to answer to your thread as a whole:
You have bad taste. You come and whine like BWAA WHY IS THIS SO POPULAR ME NOT LIKE IT like it was fucking relevant. There's no point to it. If you don't like it you're not going to like it when somebody tells you what other people see in those games because your taste is shit and it's not going to change.
Go and play your stupid games that you like better than the other, better games and get over with it. Not everybody likes the same things. Not everybody has to like the same things. Not everybody has to "get it". And that's fine. Now go and stop polluting the board with your shitty opinions.

Yeah yeah I messed up. It's still a better game though

Then you can't say I have shit taste. I never said any of you did.

Quit being a dick

By the company you're saying had no style.

If anything Jedi Academy felt more like megaman game, than any of those, if slow and floaty one.

Yes I can. Not everybody has to have good taste. Not everybody is born with it. I personally don't like many things that are considered great achievements by mankind by many but I don't call those things bad just because I don't personally like them. I'm not an idiot.

Now go you fucking shit.

You called the whole company shit, you didn't call out on specific teams.
Get the fuck out now, you're embarrassing yourself even more.

nah, shemue is way better QTE game.

I think if the Zero games needed to be 3D they should be more like the PS2 game shinobi, that's what I really think of when I think Zero in 3D.

It's OK, but I definitely prefer Classic, Zero, and even Battle Network.
Plus I absolutely loathe those fucking jet turbine feet that every character has in X. What retard designed that shit?

I keep seeing that game mentioned, but still haven't played it.
Fuck.

…A different team working for the company you said was SHIT.

You may as well have opened with "Marvel comics are garbage, if I want to see a real super hero I'll watch Captain America!"

I'm sorry ;_;

It's worth a play but I really enjoy it's first stages more than its last.
Same deal for the music

I don't know either user.

Damn, that looks pretty good, if a bit rough. As for Zero, wall jumping/wall running elements of Ninja Gaiden 2 wouldn't go amiss either.

Because as previously stated the games are very short, Megaman 1-6 would count as just one game today.

Also fuck you 8 ace combat games aren't enough

GOD HAND WAS MADE BY CAPCOM YOU ENORMOUS FUCKING FAGGOT

Damn. Mighty No 9 was that bad huh?

He's obviously either retarded or just didn't think his point through. I'm pretty tired of seeing this "[Series] already has a bunch of games, stop being entitled and wanting more!" bullshit. In this framework, there is no reason for sequels.

How is that any different from

There is an infinite capacity for want, (hunger/boredom) and theoretically infinite ways of satiating it. A game series is generally a framework of basic mechanics, as is a pizza. Variations on the core idea can be just as enjoyable as trying something completely different and new, but allows the consumer to know that they're still going to be consuming something that, at its core, they know they like. And that's not even getting into the fact that sequels generally exhibit significantly more polish on the core elements of the original, too.

Of course you're not impressed by X1, because X1 just figured out how to do a freeform wall climb with no predefined jump arc like Mario 64 or Ninja Gaiden, yet a lot easier to understand than Super Metroid. That's not even covering how much they could lengthen jumps with the jump dash, or the new armor system that mods gameplay mechanics better than using Rush in the classic games.

In X1, they also had to accustom players that wanted the classic gameplay, so wall jumps and dashing were only combined once, in Sigma's Fortress 1. This changed starting in X2, which wasn't afraid to throw spikes all over the place, and had plenty of jump puzzles to get all the rewards. Unfortunately, the franchise became lost after and/or during X3 in a sea of gimmicks, including armors that don't do much beside break the game, boss AI became cookie-cutter like the robot masters, and fitting it all under the standard 8 boss formula instead of a longer campaign.

For the X series, I recommend stopping at X2 or X3 (maybe X4) if you want to surmise the franchise, since they have the tightest platforming without MN9 corridors. If you really like the platform hells or romhacks, X6 might scratch your itch.

If you just want to see how far they can push wall climbing and dashing instead, skip on to the MMZero & ZX series, where they've got X6's masochism into edible chunks and good boss AI again, in exchange for smaller stages and bigger hitboxes because it's a handheld title. Zero 2 even throws in a grapple hook from the start, and by Zero 4 you can fight and grab with your bare hands.

tl;dr Despite what Sequelitis tells people, X1 is just a starter pack. The booster packs which the franchise evolves into is where the heart of it is. X2 and onward in comparison to X1 is what Rondo of Blood is to Super Castlevania IV.

>I know we all have different preferences
>I am just not getting why so many people like these games
You answered your own question in the first paragraph. And you don't seem to want to "discuss" anything because all your posts are fundamentally the same: "I don't get it, what I like is better".

Heh.

It's looking at it from the context of the Classic series. That said, it's absolutely the upgrade. However, you're right that things did progress substantially from there. It would have died earlier if it hadn't.

Also, I'd say that X2 is the most diverse of the soundtracks, since Yuki Iwai took over the soundboard (she also did work on Street Fighter III). I personally like X3 the best, but that's the grunge and metalhead in me talking.

The MMZero series deserves one more remaster or remake, if only to use the CD-quality rearranged tracks and make the proportions of the levels fit the size the X levels did.

Breath of Fire was better than Lufia, though.

While KoF is consistently better than SF, the best SF games are better than the best KoF games.

Agreed. I'd love to play a remastered ragnarok control center, that level was kickass.

That pic makes me sad….

I don't even comprehend how you are this stupid. Never post here again.

Stop insulting me

Let this be proof that 8ch is pretty much mainstream now, and that its community will only become more and more insufferable. I mean seriously.
Research your fucking topic a little, like fuck. You not knowing God Hand is a Capcom title is paramount to your ineptitude. I wont even bother reaming you out for answering your own question in the first sentence of your post.

That aside, youve also gotten multiple answers to your so-called question. All of which would cover what just about anyone else would say. And all of them both subjective and objective. Your mission is accomplished. Now why dont you go back to cuckchan or reddit and post about how awfully toxic we all are here.

Sage for dead fucking thread.

Relax, I stopped believing the guy was serious half a thread ago. This was a troll thread all along.

Play Mighty Number Nine. It's better than nothing

KOF is a really bad game, you can see how top tier players are nothing but flow chart,
there is no room to improvise upon the set formula
no breaking out of touch of death combos,
the whole footsie game is a joke since all loose to Jumping C+D,
Only some characters have good command normals to use in offense which instantly decides the top tiers since weaker characters can't do 50% combos off a poke.
there is minimal variation in gameplay in each iteration which makes it feel stagnated, and the icing on top of the cake is all the garbage characters SNK throws in to show you they are more interested in fanservice than in the gameplay itself, could go on all day but i feel that's enough to describe how shitty KOF is

I don't care man I just want to discuss Mega Man

Nice post.

>Favorite Legends waifu character(Tiesel)

READY

Besides corrupted are there any mega man x fangames or clones?

I agree with this much, every Mega Man game was too short if you ask me. Generally speaking you get eight base levels and four end levels, (Plus an extra extra short intro/midpoint level or two in the X games) and they aren't even individually very big. In fact, I'd say that being too short was the classic thorn in the side of ALL the good old Capcom games. Like, I LOVE playing Demon's Crest… or what little of it there actually is. Being unsatisfyingly short was always the one thing that stopped Capcom from being my favorite developer as a kid. They got everything else right, and they had my favorite visuals of all, but Capcom seemed to hate making long games.

Also, I gotta say, I never really thought the Mega Man games were as good as the Mega Man X games, I think a lot of the original series' acclaim comes from them being better than the generally cruddy state of old NES games, not so much amazing on their own merits. I can still enjoy X games, but not so much the pre-X entries. Well, the early X games. That series got pretty cruddy too toward the end.

With that said though, I got the most fun of all out of Mega Man Legends, so I might be a crazy person compared to most of you. Yes, that's right, I started with the NES games but like Legends most of all. I'm a sucker for that Zelda-esque one big connected world game design if nothing else.

I'd be very open to classic Mega Man, with classic tone and art direction and absolutely NOT retro presentation, (AKA no Mega Man 9 stuff,) but significantly different gameplay. I mean, that's what Legends did, it changed the gameplay up bet kept things colorful and cartoony and I loved it. If it's a "dark and gritty" reboot then nope, no way whatsoever, instantly dead to me. I'm very open to gameplay changes but it MUST look right.

The Mega Man game's plots are really cliched and waffer thin. If Mega man only lasted only for a couple games you wouldn't remember jack shit about them. You only remember what the stories are because you played the games as capcom cranked out game after game and milked the series for its worth.

Only MM2, 3, X are really great games for their time. All the rest for the most part are mediocre but fun if you just want more of the same shit.

and Wild Arms hast to be two of the most overrated jrpgs. I just don't get what people like about this two games other then they a are a bit more rare then the FF and Dragon Warrior series.

Opinion Discarded
it's a reasonably acceptable objective opinion

SFalpha3 > SF3 tbh fam, only riceniggers can pull off a parry reliably and the cast of 3 was kinda Poz'd

Is the ZX series good if I liked Zero but kind of want to go back to busters and shit?

So you're saying you think DMC 3 is better than DMC1? I just want to be clear on this.

not even debatable. DMC3 is objectively better then Resident evil Spectacle fighter 1.

Is it fair to compare both though? One's kind of a 3d metroidvania, the other's an actual spectacle fighter. It really depends more on whether or not you like exploration and puzzles or stylish fighting.

The enemies in DMC1 feel better to fight than DMC3
While the bosses are much better in DMC3

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Command Mission? I would love to see a sequel with improvements and more refined battle mechanics.

Really Nigga

Gay term for stylish action.

It fathered the genre and is crazy stylish on its own, go get yourself some S ranks on Dante Must Die and tell me it isn't a stylish action game. Praising 3 and 4 and pushing 1 to the side is disrespectful.

Kill yourself retard