Myth

Not sure how I've never heard of this series, but am playing through on legendary. Games are basically RTS but without base building.

I'm amazed at how good they are to play, but holy shit are they difficult. Is it acceptable to save scum through the missions? I'm trying to iron man them and it's really proving a challenge.

Other urls found in this thread:

projectmagma.net
kat.cr/myth-the-fallen-lords-t835945.html
kat.cr/myth-2-soulblighter-t1347843.html
mobygames.com/game/windows/myth-ii-soulblighter/credits
mobygames.com/game/windows/myth-iii-the-wolf-age/credits
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#Marathon,_Myth_and_Oni
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_(series)#Community-driven_development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MumboJumbo#History
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good game. Played it a long time ago.

There's still a pretty active mod + multiplayer community.

projectmagma.net

If you're finding it too hard or just want to play it on Legendary to see the fucking amazing amount of bodies, let me give you a Pro Tip, user:

You can open and edit the campaign missions through the Fear and Loathing toolsets.

I recommend just giving yourself a bunch of extra units in each mission. Just be aware that, for the purposes of completion and failure, the game will only care about the ones that are given as part of the mission itself.

It's a bit clunky, and you'll need to back everything up because the risk of bugs is high, but it's a great way to play the game.

Myth is fucking fantastic and it always bothers me that it doesn't get mentioned more in RTS threads.

I'll give you a bump, because I used to love this game as a kid. Some of my friends would even come over and watch me play. They would scream stuff like "OH RADICAL" when the bomb dude would explode someone.

Thanks for reminding me, I gotta find a copy again.

It's not on steam or GOG… Anyone know any other reliable digital means to purchase or download?

Just torrent it or find a ddl, it's abandonware similar to most of the stuff GOG wants you to pay for.

kat.cr/myth-the-fallen-lords-t835945.html
kat.cr/myth-2-soulblighter-t1347843.html

I think I got them from these torrents a few months ago. The third is also on KAT but it's not very good from what I hear. You should also get the Magma Patches from

Never say never, user.

Bungie is one of the last two or three AAA studios that's privately held, so there's no reason why some of their older games couldn't come back.

Except marty left over them taking activisions cock up the ass and letting them have creative control

face it, user, bungie as we knew them is dead

*marty got fired over

Yes and no, user. A lot of that leaked information was a true, but a lot wasn't.

Bungo has a largely free hand from Activision with the understanding that they have to hit certain profit targets to keep getting that sweet publisher money.

Activision isn't telling them how to make their games.

I can pretty much forgive cashing out to retire from the industry, which is what the core Bungie people did, but screwing over and lying to your longtime customers on the way out is indefensible.

Sequels, and general moneygrubbing tactics like them, are what killed Bungie. I'm not even saying sequels are inherently bad, but sheer raw originality was what made Bungie special compared to other developers, especially for its size:

The good Bungie was the Bungie that made radically new things like PiD, Marathon, Myth, Oni, and Halo; and licensed out engines for Nemesis, DI, PT, ZPC, & StZ.

The bad Bungie is the Bungie that made M2/M∞ and Myth 2 instead of more new games, rushed a port of only M2 as their first wintel effort, sold out to chop down Halo into a linear FPS as a console exclusive that was severely rushed, dropped everything non-Halo (including a still-incomplete Oni and the rights for Myth 3) in a firesale to other companies, churned out Halo sequel after sequel (all of which were STILL rushed in spite of massive funding), then left the rights to Halo with MS to be whored out when they sold out again, and are now working solely on a "MMOG" that's not actually massive as an excuse to do nothing else (and which was, of course, rushed and incomplete on release).

But that's not what happened. Staten was more or less forced to leave from what we can tell, marty was fucking FIRED

MARTY
FIRED

That'd be like john williams being fired from doing star wars music or sid mier being fired from the civ series.

I'm talking about a little after Halo 1 was finished, partway through Halo 2 in the aftermath of the M$ sellout, when oldsters like Jason Jones and Alex Seropian (Staten and O'Donnell were kids scooped up in the Bungie West hiring spree) flew the coup. The whole mess with Activision was long after Bungie had degenerated into an uninteresting corporate blob as an in-house studio.

what?

mobygames.com/game/windows/myth-ii-soulblighter/credits
mobygames.com/game/windows/myth-iii-the-wolf-age/credits
It was farmed out as part of Bungie dumping everything pre-Halo, and made with basically no involvement nor input from Myth's original authors.

Bungie basically sold the rights to everything they had as part of the Microsoft acquisition. Once they were in the clutches of M$ they had no choice but to make Halo games only, and Myth 3 was an abomination. All of the subtlety and soul of the first two games was gone and it became a very generic feeling medieval RTS not even worthy of the genre.

Maybe after Destiny 2+3 fail hard they will use whatever money they have left to buy back some of the old staff and continue some of their old franchises, but the chances of that are practically zero because the whole show is run by profit seekers now and the old titles don't have a nostalgia effect like Doom, System Shock, or even Thief, and therefore they will just be forgotten if not for the hardcore fans.

Uh, what? They still own the rights to those old games; it was part of the agreement when they left MS.

MS gets a few more Bungie-made Halo games and Bungie gets its soul back.

I hope they release their old games on Steam if nothing else; I'd love to play Myth 2 with some anons.

Nope. Bungie sold the rights to the entire franchise to Take Two (of Rockstar and 2K fame), same with Oni (which wasn't even finished, Bungie had to cannibalize the Oni team to work on Halo midway through their own project!):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#Marathon,_Myth_and_Oni
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_(series)#Community-driven_development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MumboJumbo#History

The only pre-M$ games Bungie still own the rights to are the Mac-only stuff like Marathon and PiD.

Aw fug, I didn't realize that Take 2 got the rights.

Well, better them than MS I guess.

And I guess if nothing else Bungie will have to make a new IP if Destiny starts to waver since they can't fall back on anything else.

Good sources, user. Cheers.

I was a lifelong Applefag in the ancient pre-OSuX era, so I witnessed the violation close-up and messy. And, as a Mac gamer, grew up accustomed to rape.

I have my original Myth 2 desk not more than two feet from me right now, user.

You feel it too, don't you? The pain?

Being an oldfag (by chan standards, anyway) is suffering at times. The fucking RLM ID4:Regurgitation review reminded me that it's been twenty years since the original. I saw the original on my 12th birthday.Where does the time go, man?

OP here.

Is it acceptable or frowned upon to save scum through the missions?

I hate doing this but this game has quite tough encounters in legendary and enough RNG with thrown satchels exploding or not exploding, for example, that make things very dicey.

Currently playing 1 and 2 simultaneously. On mission 6ish for both.

user, listen to me very carefully:

You do whatever brings you the most entertainment when playing vidya.

If that means save scumming, then you do it. If that means using the level editor to give yourself extra troops for lulz, then you do it. You don't have to play the game to anyone's standards but your own.

Appreciate the feedback. I should have framed the question 'Am I cheating myself out of a more thorough and enjoyable experience by savescumming or is the game built around doing that'

It's not possible to keep everybody alive unless you savescum.

The most powerful weapons of the game, the mortar, depends mostly on luck and trial and error.

The game is doable without savescumming, but it is balls hard, and mastery of RTT controls isn't for everybody. Like says, If you savescum, just don't let yourself fall victim to the Fire Emblem-autist "save everyone" degeneracy, and you'll be fine.

Good. I want it to be fucking challenging. I just don't want it to be cheap.