kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/process/coding-style.html
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=$(urlencode
cardmarket.com/en/Magic/Products/Singles/$(urlencode
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

doesn't suck
cuck license
who gives a shit
bullshit bloat with no reason to exist

The amout of people that were saying how much i3wm sucks in this board is fucking overwhelming
What's so bad about FreeBSD's license?

Its tarball is 10 times the size of bspwm's one, for no special reason.
Got out from under your rock today? They went full SJW recently, and have always been the bloated BSD compare to Open, Net and even Dragonfly.
2MB tarball? Are you joking? sxiv is 47KB and better.
Honestly, I never had to use more than GNU Make (POSIX make is too much pain). But maybe it's a mandatory evil if you want to support more than POSIX (which is retarded).

because
1) their level of suck is not null (i.e. we do know whether they suck or not), and
2) their level of suck is not zero

bleh

Not OP but can you explain how/provide links?

You're only right about the 80 cols. Also

You could have searched the catalog, you know.
>freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
>oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/876760.html

I have known about the recent SJW stuff, but people were hating on FreeBSD way before that.

I'm confused

How is it better, exactly?

kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/process/coding-style.html

My bad. Thanks.
Also wtf...

For fuck's sake, I just searched "i3wm rice" in duckduckgo

The key-handler and image-info handler are very powerful because they're sh scripts. Example:
#!/bin/shSAVEDIR=${SAVEDIR:-~/Pictures}BROWSER=${BROWSER:-jailed-firefox.sh}while read filedo base=$(basename -- "$file") dir=$(dirname -- "$file") case "$1" in # Delete "d") rm -- "$file" ;; # Rename "r") mv -- "$file" "$dir/$(ls -- "$dir" | dmenu -i -p "Rename $base")" ;; # Move to $DESTDIR "m") [ ! "${DESTDIR:-}" ] && exit 1 mv -- "$file" "$DESTDIR" ;; # Save to $SAVEDIR "s") cp -- "$file" "$SAVEDIR" ;; # Open gatherer.wizards.com page "G") base=${base%.*} # Only get the first part of split cards base=${base%_*} base=${base% \[*} $BROWSER gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=$(urlencode "$base") & ;; # Open www.cardmarket.com page "K") base=${base%.*} # Split card name correction base=$(printf '%s' "$base" | sed 's#_# // #; s#\[\([0-9]\)\]#(Version \1)#') $BROWSER cardmarket.com/en/Magic/Products/Singles/$(urlencode "${dir##*/}")/$(urlencode "$base") & ;; esacdone

By using 4 instead of 8, you can think about using meaningful names for identifiers and not "i, j, v1, v2" à la POSIX bc.

Not really. It only "sucks" when comparing to other minimalistic alternatives like dwm and only if you prefer minimalism over functionality.

Meson is better than CMake in every way. Many Free Software communities already started porting their projects to Meson from CMake/autotools.

Because people like BSD because of minimalism and keeping with UNIX-like tradition. FreeBSD is neither. You are better off with Linux at this point if you can't into OpenBSD. FreeBSD developers are hipster special snowflake macfag cucks sucking corporate dick. They let themselves get infiltrated by SJW who crave power, it is their own fault.

don't hink many people have anything against i3wm, they probably just hate the arch ricers.

How is FreeBSD less minimal and Unixy than OpenBSD? I'm not really familiar with the BSDs at all.

Having a httpd, mail server, ntp, ssh, a wm, a kind of X server and whatever they forked forked in the past is in the base install means everything, but minimal even if most of them are half baked tools.

FreeBSD is more minimal than OBSD. See above.

It's great for baby's first tiling WM. Hell, I'd recommend it to even experienced users.
HomOS
The only problem I can think of for it is that it lacks animated GIF support.
It's fucking awful for a user to build with and it takes FOREVER to compile. I can see why a dev would use it though.

Minimalism is about code complexity not size (disk, RAM, number of tools...).

Only good at terminal windows but shit at everything else. Literally a meme that nobody uses outside of glamour shots to look cool.
Every GOOD WM supports snapping or full screen terminal+tmux. That will allow you to have a good graphical WM and terminal tilling.

Good for certain things. Probably the best FreeSource UNIX, genetically. Not afraid to break userspace when its the right thing to do. Has Jails (Cock Docker BTFO) And also ZFS (SoyFS BTFO)

Not bad

Slow and arbitrary with its config. Nobody writes make files manually either. The fact that make has a make tool for make on top of that is a sorry state of affairs.

Attached: ef351cadf70a730c6ed76eb38fcc6f3775c04eac48d44d11ee9819b99c1a7bb7-a.jpg (1280x720, 164.38K)

CMake is a configuration system, you use make or ninja afterward. Retard.

Sure.
?

Whens the last time you saw freebsd break userspace besides its already broken state? They are too scared of pissing of their corporate overloads so the refuse to do such a thing.

Because open BSD is a meme. I really hope it gets better, but you can't even build valgrind. Firefox crashes all the time due to W^X protection. I love that it exists, and I hope they improve it, but as a daily driver desktop system its not currently usable. The code base is beauitufl, and top quality, I have considered spending time trying to develop it. I am intrested in the kernel FS layer, currently, there is no support for any real linux filesystems, and linux doesn't support its FFS filesystem either..

False, minimalism can be applied to ANY metric and you don't get to lock it down to just one metric. I think minimalism means low disk size, low RAM usage, and low execution speeds. Don't give a fuck-damn about "code complexity".

I like i3wm and you can suck my ass if you don't. I use feh too. FreeBSD was a cool idea that turned into shit due to the slow destruction of social justice that inspired wroth against them. They also let Apple bend them over.

Cmake is fine.

Attached: miku_parody.mp4 (640x360, 4.11M)

Having default secure tools is sensible, Specially since openbsd has developed important widely used tools like openSSH. The OpenBSD project is routinely audited, produces high quality code, and has a great track record here. The components your talking about do not all come preinstalled and configuered. Arch has a webserver, mail server, etc available, is it not minimalist now?

OpenBSD does something important developing these tools

/thread

Nothing wrong with i3, haven't seen any hate towards it either, at least not towards the piece of software itself, the actual hate goes to arch ricers who typically use i3.

feh is the fastest image viewer I know for Linux. Cmake is shit because it's impossible to design a good build system for conventional PLs anywhere from C to Java to Haskell

minimalism is about having ONLY the tools you need, instead lots of tools/features that come bundled with your software and you will never use. A good example of this is st, by default it does fuck all and you're meant to modify/patch it to include ONLY the features you need.

ah sxiv might be better actually. i've been using it to view GIFs only because feh can't. also sxiv can seek through gif files and pause/play which almost no other image viewer can do for some reason

all the cancer installed by default. this reminds me of that horrible whateverd that some linux distros have that a bunch of internet services go through

We are talking about two different things. You are looking at the surface level, the end result.
Comes from using the right abstraction.
Comes from correctness.
Usually the side effect by simplicity of code.
I can make a few KiB big program that consumes mininal amount of RAM and is fast, but the code can be obfuscated, using gotos everywhere, written in brainfuck with hard dependancy on systemd. Is it still minimalistic? As a developer you should strive to have control over the code of your software. When we are talking about correctly written software then things like binary size, RAM and performance become almost miningless on modern hardware.
It doesnt matter that you dont care about code complexity. Other people do.

Server OS has server software preloaded. Color me surprised. OpenBSD does not ship with X. You get a choice in the installer. Default is No.

The only reason there is an option to install X in the installer is because OpenBSD actually dogfood their shit unlike a lot of FreeBSD people who use macOS as primary OS.

This thread is /g/ tier, but whatever.
For what reason use this over something like MATE or xfce, that can snap windows to the side? You're not likely to use more than two windows simultaneously all the time, it's a waste of screenspace if you have more workspace running anyway. Unless you're using a crappy computer, there's no reason to give up that much convenience for a few MB of RAM. Tiling windowmanagers are for ricers.

Not advocating for this, but the system itself is still pretty good. Easy to setup, good documentation, sane file hierarchy, easy to configure and maintain - actually better than most Linux distributions. I guess you never tried it before. Also, on what basis do you call the base system bloated?
Saying FreeBSD is shit because of their CoC is as retarded as the thing itself.

Projecting hard, I see.
Dunno, always had that impressions. It's probably wrong. I think that's due to the heavy emphasis on features like ZFS/dtrace that I think this.
It makes it shit, though. Not technologically, that's all.

Honestly, I'd think about BSD if there was a source-based one. But as I see it, Gentoo is better than any BSD, right now.

Burger education.

Attached: amerimutt.jpg (777x743, 208.06K)

What I meant is that you usually have to have really small fonts to be able make any use of more than two windows, that contain anything that you want to work with. I'd rather use some terminal multiplexer and/or workspace. They're pretty fast to get to and you don't have to clutter your screen further than necessary.
I'd argue the CoC being shit means the CoC is shit, not necessarily the product.
OpenBSD has the requirement that base builds base and all the BSDs have some kind of ports system - FreeBSDs probably being the best one, since you can modify all your builds through a curses interface. For OpenBSDs there's "flavors" for some packages, but not all. They are basically separately compiled packages with fixed differences. NetBSD uses the platform independent pkgsrc, it doesn't have anything like that afaik. The ports trees are usually pretty extensive, but it's no Gentoo.

Babby's first tiling window manager.
Unless you use most of the command line options, it's bloat.
Bloat, but it has process percentages which makes me tolerate it.

oh thanks

Difference in some of these software is pretty negligible, for example:
tmp> du /usr/local/bin/{sxiv,feh}70.0K /usr/local/bin/sxiv240K /usr/local/bin/feh
For some reason, feh is linked with some networking libs though so that's kinda weird, but it looks like you can compile without that. But either way, neither requires big bloated X toolkit like Qt or Gtk so both are good choices.
But here's the thing: both require X. Better find an image viewer than can render in SDL instead if you want to talk about less bloat. A long time ago I used zgv with svgalib.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with feh and i3.
I3 is only hated because it's simple to use and configure. and i've never heard anyone on here complain about feh before.

It play gif files.

Autism.

It means FreeBSD officially endorses and spearheads kike subversion. No more no less.
2560x1440 27" with Terminus:size=12 here. I also have 3 windows in a workspace, most of the time, and 4 isn't that unusual. Add to that the fact that well-made fully NETWM compliant stacking WMs are very rare (IceWM was okay, last time I tried) and it's an obvious choice.
After thinking a little, the biggest point of tiling WMs is that there are directional relationships between windows, so switching to the one you want is lightning fast.

Do you know where you are, cunt?

Switching windows in a terminal multiplexer is fast. I even have Alt-0, Alt-1, Alt-2, etc. bound to switch to the numbered window. With tmux you can even split a window into panes and quickly switch between the visible panes.

Would feel too small for me to read comfortably at a normal distance. Maybe me eyes just got worse, but I seldom feel like I would need to see more of any document than what fits on the screen at my current settings. I have function keys set to snap windows left, right or maximize them, emacs has buffers and if I need more terminals I can quickly open tabs in the existing terminal window. Also alt-tabbing through windows isn't that cumbersome if you don't have a million of them open.
I did try i3 some time ago and configured it to my needs, but there's not a lot that felt more comfortable in it than in other adjusted desktop environments. Or maybe rather: I didn't need any of the features that couldn't be provided similiarly through other desktop environments.

But don't you spend most of your time in a tiled state with some floating windows? In this case, tiling windows with floating capabilities make way more sense.
aka bloat.

I can see where Linus is coming from, but
Uh, no. Only in kernel-land does an arbitrary decision made many years ago have the same universality as a mathematical constant. It's pretty well-understood today that a tab char just means "some level of indentation".
// vim: tabstop=4

First, I was referring to the whole build process, not just compilation.
Second, the Makefile calls back into Cmake for some fucking reason.

I used to hate autoconf until I had to use cmake. cmake tries to be clever, but it just isn't, so it only gets in the way. It's also crazy slow, if you have almost everything cached you'll be wasting more time on cmake than on gcc/ccache.

on a forum for leet gangsters

None of those things suck. Cat-V memekids just say they do so they can minimal signal over their featureless stali rig.