What happened to the debian family?

Take Debian as an example
Also take Xubuntu

What happened to debian and its family distros? Why can't they all be as polished as MX?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161204.215049.93e768e9.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Another distro thread, great

op is a nigger and his thread stinks!

systemd is the way of the future
you only dont like it because youre scared of change

Shut up.

Why is systemd bad? Name one reason. I bet you can't. You're going to spew some nonsense you read on the chans.

but le UNIX way :DDDDDD

it's bloat and buggy

Monkeys at Debian or the trillion different distros can't code for shit, so they adopt whatever Red Hat shits out, because it's going to be supported and developed for at least a decade, unlike the whims of some autistic hacker

So over half of the dev team was in favor of systemd? Why shouldn't they switch to systemd at that point?
They just picked systemd as the default. You can still install other init systems, for fuck's sake.
When is the last time you directly interacted with your init system? Is your opinion informed at all, or are you just picking the hippest opinion?

It is slow. Need more reasons?

I hate systemd but it's currently the fastest init only being beaten by runit

Around 20% of the people who argue against systemd (on Holla Forums, anyway) understand what systemd is and what it does.
If it were 0% then these arguments could just be dismissed as entirely pointless. If it were 80% then these arguments would be informed and interesting. But instead we're stuck in the worst possible world, where the anti-systemd crowd has a lot of a valid arguments but most of what it produces is still bullshit.

Name one.

Go formulate that question on the devuan mailing list fag.

You mean the folks who manage to maintain Debian two releases behind schedule?

None of these are a problem for me personally (so I'm a happy systemd user), but off the top of my head:
- Only compatible with Linux
- A couple of small bad weird things (leading digits in usernames and the 8.8.8.8 fallback DNS are overblown, but still problematic)
- INI file specifications are more opaque than shell scripts (I like tasteful opacity, but not everyone does, even outside the context of systemd)
- A lot more things happen in PID 1 (again, most claims about this are overblown because it separates most things into different processes, but PID 1 still is a lot larger than traditional, and that does have disadvantages)
- Violates the Unix philosophy (even moreso than GNU, GNU's violations are restricted by Unix compatibility) (I personally hate the Unix philosophy though)

Then do it yourself.

But why would I? I have no reason to maintain Debian since Debian is already being maintained by the Debian team, and I have no reason to use Debian because I have more than 512MiB of RAM.

Just read this fucking thread and get your head out of the trash
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161204.215049.93e768e9.en.html

kys for baiting this low.

-large filesize
-practically needs multiple daemons running at once
-depends on dbus

You mean it's big and that's scary. What's the point in using a multi-user multi-ring operating system then?

Why exactly do these things depend on systemd?

[citation needed]

See? I told you you lot would just spout nonsense you read on the chans.

It's not as simple and easy to use as FreeBSD's rc.

Do you know literally anything about software development at all?

The devs can not be trusted to make sane decisions, it's as simple as that.

First, Ubuntu and its ilk started gaying everything up.
Second, those with leftist leanings started infiltrating the mailing lists and becoming vocal.
Third, the default systemd implementation was extremely controversial and caused many oldfags to bail.
Despite all that, I don't believe the distro's beyond hope just yet. There is time to reverse these problems before it becomes your standard BSDM garbage, and there is still plenty in favor of the project even now. For example, Debian has -the- most elegant, pragmatic solution to the binary blob issue, prioritizing the user's freedom of choice and needs over rigid, blunt licensing ideology. More recently, Debian adopted a reproducible build policy to thwart the insertion of malicious backdoors at compile time. And then there's the simple fact that you really can't beat Debian on support. Remember that Debian is one of the world's largest free software projects - some shit is going to fall through the cracks regardless, and people love to focus on negativity, so you've gotta weigh the good and the bad.

The unreasonable default behavior Unix has for background processes is in the area of session management, which is one of systemd's areas. I'm not sure if the way they handle it is reasonable but it is appropriate for them to handle it.

The reasoning behind a change could be entirely reasonable (and whether patching up gnome's fuckups is that case is highly disputable at best), but I simply am not going to use an init, where the devs are capable of pulling a surprise change like this and not put it at the top of the changelog in big red letters.

It isn't, people in Holla Forums are /g/ refugees who wanted to get away from the remaining Windows users on that board and since /g/ is so toxic they're horribly misinformed

i tried it but removed immediately after i saw that their repos have packages that will still install libsystemd

lol lenntard you aren't fooling anybody. is 100% true

I still wish they included WiFi firmware on their installationCD

Sauce or didn't happen.

use nonfree iso. It's on their site.

Too many lines of code, breaks too often, has had too many security flaws.

Still bearable.

/g/tard spotted
youve clearly never used it

I run ubuntu gnome and the only time I ever crash is systemd udev trying to perform a memory dump when it's not working right

heres your problem

It does use systemd, correct

Not at all and I named more than one problem with it.

systemd is officially shit.

i imagine systemd pulls in tor because there's spyware in it and it uses tor to send stuff back to big brother

I agree. Users keep blabbing about systemd, but they can very well install another init of their preference. I never understood the grunge dragged about systemd.

systemd resolver defaults to google dns as fallback dns servers unless configured properly or disabled.
botnet is for normies.

Better than any other init system (that's not saying much though)