License Compliance

Yo Holla Forums, what's the run down on license compliance? Speaking specifically about the GPL v2 license. Can I
?

Other urls found in this thread:

yarchive.net/comp/linux/gpl_modules.html
copyright.gov/title17/
tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-general-public-license-v2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Technically nothing stops you from static compiling GPL software into your software and keeping it closed source.
As long as you don't later on don't hire some FOSS autist and give him acess to the source and thus opportunity to report you, you're good.

Never thought I'd see the day...

But if I dynamic link, then I can still use the GPL'd software within the license and be free to license my software with whatever I want?

No. Your code requires to be linked against that GPL source code to be run, and so it is a part of your program (or something alone those lines, but that's the idea). You can only do something like this with the LGPL.

Thanks for the response.

How does the Linux kernel package bundle proprietary drivers then, if it's GPLv2?

if you remove this
then it must be OK. and good luck explaining to users what they must do.

K Y S

It's GPL, but most of it is just that they have never decided to enforce this. Proprietary drivers are probably a violation of the kernel's license, but Torvalds has stated an intention to not press action as long as they only use explicit kernel APIs.
It would be sane to add an explicit exception to the license, but Linus doesn't want to do this, and he would have to get permission from an insane amount of people to legally be able to do it across the entire kernel.

Here's a mail from Torvalds on the subject (You only really have to worry about the topmost one, but can read as much as you want for extra context): yarchive.net/comp/linux/gpl_modules.html

Keep yodeling songs?
What does yodeling have to do with this thread?

sage for offtopic

I don't know what you're talking about.

The reason why this works is if you don't distribute the GPL dynamic library, you're not distributing the GPL library thus you're not bound by the GPL! I don't know anybody who would do something as retarded as shipping a proprietary binary that is supposed to link to a GPL program and then include user instructions to manually link them together.

If it was his will, it would be done. Any code that is not compatible with the licensing change would be excised and rewritten and Torvalds is no stranger to doing that. He simply doesn't care to get it done.

I'm starting to notice a pattern here

This vessel can no longer contain my bloodlust. The extermination of the degenerates can't come soon enough.

moar

Are these women attractive? They are both goofy looking.

OP seems to think so which is why he used the picture to gather attention. Should be a bannable offense, I have not seen a single good poster doing that.

Yes.

Shoo-shoo ugly 3DPDs!

Stop posting bestiality

What did they mean by that?

He's a shill from Holla Forums, does that in every board.

How is distribution defined?
Do manual instructions for downloading and linking the program constitute distribution?
What about a separate binary that checks for dependencies, and if dependencies don't match, it asks the user to download and install them? Is that considered distributing GPL software?

Why are you posting trashy whores on a tech/anime website?

What is uhh the definition for err distribution with regards to the GPL?

Because outsourcing and immigration are suppressing tech salaries to a point where "trashy" seems like a reasonable bargain to the current generation of professionals.

Id snitch. Nobody messes with free software or RMS

This is how software distribution is defined in the US.

copyright.gov/title17/

best site
tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-general-public-license-v2
worst license

I agree

Ok.
Thanks.
Your link gave me some questions, but after reading the definitions really quick, I got my answer.

whoops
since everyone in thread enjoyed my OP image

I'll post a qt3.14

sage for shitpost --
although i know saging while adding media still bumps thread

3DPD literally makes me feel nauseous.
Please stop.

what is happening in that gif?

Go get some counseling. You are mentally warped.

(Heil'd)
Same thing as this webbum.

it's an epic prank. when you hit a beer bottle on the top it starts overflowing. apparently, like you, she doesn't know that, and doesn't notice it at first.

You're not from around these parts, are you nigger?

kill yourself

I think you are the one that is mentally warped.
The 3DPD you've been posting have been repulsive, I don't see how there could be any appeal to them.

Thanks for proving that you need counseling. You are mentally warped.

Those 3DPDs are all plastic and artificial, and yet they're still massively deficient. You might as well just post 2D because at least they look nicer and have better personality.

Is that Michael Jackson?

you must be a jealous hambeast of a planet, or just ugly
probably both
you ugly fat bitch piece of shit

He really went overboard with the spray tan.

Eyebrow plucking beautychaser got nerve hit. What hurts more? When you look in the mirror and see how ugly you are, or knowing that you're responsible for it? Tell me about your pain.

You are mentally warped.