Mail-in-a-Box or ProtonMail

Which is it, Holla Forums? Rolling your own server, or using a paid mail provider that encrypts all your mail with PGP?

I currently run a Mail-in-a-Box server, but I'm thinking about scrapping it and moving to ProtonMail instead. I think I trust their infrastructure more than a VPS spooled up on DigitalOcean, but I'd like second opinions.

Other urls found in this thread:

protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/protonmail-israel-radware/
mail2tor2zyjdctd.onion/
archive.is/HzUBX
q62wozmddwxija2p.onion/computer/Linux_E-mail_2e_2009_Haycox_et_al.pdf
q62wozmddwxija2p.onion/computer/
vivaldi.net/en-US/terms-of-use
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Protonmail goes through Israel, user.

They do have a FAQ about that actually.
protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/protonmail-israel-radware/

protonmail is fine for throwaways as long as you accept that they route their data through israel for "ddos protection"

Either Vivaldi webmail or host your own

Protonmail is shit, they don't use pgp and don't let you use IMAP, cock is probably the best ffs.

Tutanota for throwaway account
Outlook/Gmail/Yandex etc ONLY with pgp/gpg encryption.

Many, many reasons not to use Protonmail.

Mail in a Box is managed by some cuck named Josh Trabenhaur or some shit and he's a super lib piece of shit.

iRedMail is nice and is managed by a chinese guy who just wants American money.

You could describe Richard Stallman that way. Do you have any technological argument against it, or a more specific reason that guy is untrustworthy than "I don't like his politics"?

Looks like I might just roll my own custom mail server.

mail2tor2zyjdctd.onion/
-webmail works without javascript
-supports both IMAP/SMTP and webmail
-Tor allowed and required
-can create mailbox in 30 seconds

/thread

ProtonMail is a botnet, it requires javascript, and also it only needs to one time send you modified code to steal your password to decrypt your mails

Cockmail - shitty, limits account creation, cannot have many throwaways

I'm not looking for a throwaway provider though, I'm moving all my personal e-mails to my own domain, off Gmail, and wondering whether it's best to stick with Mail-in-a-Box, move to ProtonMail, or potentially just homebrew my own version of Mail-in-a-Box. Use the same software he uses, just manually configure it all myself.

Yeah uhhh I think I'll stop using it.
I had my suspicions looking at this loading screen but now I'm just done.

You can have many throwaways within one account on Cockmail

Anything after dot and it still gets delivered to you

$150 for a dedi is cheap even in the US.

protonmail is trash. what the fuck is mail-in-a-box. if i need to use the cancer that is e-mail i use cock.li. everything else has all kinds of (((UX))) and (((security))) in place. for example you cant even sign up to protonmail without doing 1 of:
1) donation
2) provide already existing email for verification
3) provide SMS for verification

while option 2 defeats the whole point of using their service, maybe you really want protonmail for some reason. however option 2 is often not even available depending on your IP address and time of day. i cant imagine what other bullshit you have to putup with once you actually get past the reg and start using protonmail. i imagine it tells you you're insecure like gmail every 5 minutes and threatens to lock you out of your account because you changed IPs too many times and haven't provided your SSN

my favorite one: there are no smtp/imap/pop details. you use their webmail or you eat the poopoo.

use a fucking mailinator or whatever

There's a reason for that. POP/IMAP would require them to be able to decode your mail. The whole point of ProtonMail is that they can't do that - everything's stored encrypted and all the keys and encryption are handled client-side in the webapp.
Having said that, it would be nice if they provided a ProtonMail client / IMAP server program that you could run locally.

It can obviously decrypt your email because you're not having to supply a PGP key to view the content. It's a pseudo-privacy. IMAPS and POP3S exist, but they're not specced for whatever reason, probably because everyone gave up on email standards in favor of Gmail.

You don't get it. Your password is the key. It never leaves your machine, all the cryptography is done on your computer by the JavaScript webapp.

ProtonMail will disable your email account if they receive a complaint from an @google.com email address or a law enforcement official in any country asking that they do. Considering [email protected]/* */ has recently been harassing the Kiwi Farm's email server host, it's not smart to put your chips in something that pussy.

I'm paying $15 a month for a dedicated box at the moment.

RTO or what? There's no way someone is selling you a full 1U bare metal for $15/mo.

Online.net. There's plenty of places in Europe that offer cheap bare metal.

OVH/Kimsufi too.

startmail?

Netherlands is part of the Nine Eyes.

interdasting...

It's most likely a blade rather than a full 1U.

Stallman may be a bleeding heart liberal Jew but he he'll give everyone a fair shake. Trabenhaur is a living stereotype of a libshit.

Mail in a Box is nothing but a collection of shell scripts and .rcs from what I've seen.

If the software used is otherwise sound what's wrong with using it as a base for your own mail server?

Neomailbox is the best option.

Qual é o mais seguro?

it's not throwaway provider. They won't delete your emails or account. You can trust mail2tor

If you do so, cockmail will know/link all your throwaways with each other (it's one account after all).
True throwaways are to be made with different identity and tor node, are not linked to each other.

Of course they can decrypt your box. It's very simple. One time when you open protonmail, they will send you special javascript code, that will send your mailbox password to them. Since you won't be analyzing 1000 lines of their javascript code every time you visit their page, you will never know it when they did it.
Also protonmail even without your password knows 99% of your mails, since 99% of your mails will come outside protonmail (unencrypted).
And also now protonmail requires SMS verification. Protonmail is made by FBI and CIA. It's a honeypot.

That makes extra safe right?

This. Protonmeme is provably meme status just from this statement alone. I made the mistake of trying out their service and it was unsurprisingly shit.

I would like to create a secure email account but I am still in doubt ... is protonmail the best option?

You want secure? Host it yourself.

There's caveats to this.
Rent a VM/Dedicated machine? You have to trust the provider.
Host it locally? You're going to need your ISPs consumer level support to understand what a PTR is, and hope his manager doesn't decide to just make your call go away by trying to charge you a $50 setup fee and an ongoing $20/month for it.

I understand this. I was just trying to convey that total security is impossible and to get as close to that as one possible can would be to set things up yourself.

Protonmail doesn't respect speech...

archive.is/HzUBX

It is a bit more concerning they even monitor who is signing up for what and possibly the contents of the emails from that.

Agent Fud *really* doesn't want you to use Protonmail. I wonder why? He's been working overtime here to convince you not to use it. Just like the Tor threads.

q62wozmddwxija2p.onion/computer/Linux_E-mail_2e_2009_Haycox_et_al.pdf

>q62wozmddwxija2p.onion/computer/
Decent directory, user.

When his politics dictate that he can fuck me over without guilt or repercussions, then yes "I don't like his politics" is a valid criteria for judging a host's worth.

I'm building an encrypted mail service that'll use PGP encryption for full encryption of emails.
Also will be logless and privacy friendly like with all my services

DROPPED

Well it will be private by default.
It's still in early works and I'll probably shill it on Holla Forums once it's ready.
Will be free software as well.

Do they? Can you show me an example? Not doubting you, just verifying.
Because like I said, Stallman is leftist as hell, but he would absolutely defend freedom of speech and thought. If someone is a "lib piece of shit" that doesn't necessarily mean they're untrustworthy, even though it could.

That fucking comic.

Jabber with tor +OTR and PGP is the most secure version out there.

But tbh you can use any email provider (even googkucks) if using PGP.

neither, you fucking nigtard

mail2tor2zyjdctd.onion/
/thread

Thanks, will try. How many spam filter droppes their mails?
Is their source code available? What do they use?

Kek you stupid fuck. You are the one who have to use PGP, not the service provider.

not possible

not possible

unless you own all the SMTP servers in the world, not possible

vivaldi.net/en-US/terms-of-use