Text editors

is emacs the true praetorian text editor? Are there any better alternatives out there? What do you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/limetext/lime
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

vi is the editor of the beast and you must never use it a‎-user
y‎-y‎-y‎-yes
n‎-n‎-nothing beats e‎-emacs!
g‎-g‎-g‎-g‎-g‎-g‎-g‎-g‎-gedit

It's so fucking slow. At least we're supposed to get threads in emacs 26.

THE MODS ARE RACIST

gedit is aids. I've found leafpad to be much less cancerous. i mainly use vim anyway just because im used to it
THE MODS ARE GAY

You can blame the administration for that. It used to be a board setting but not any more.

i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i can j‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪just c‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪change the f‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪file names y‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪you k‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪know!!

i find the latest versions simplistic enough to satisfy my autism tbhfam
whoever banned me is a really special shade of retard

THE MーMーAーADMINS ARE GAY

bーbーbーbut gーgedit takes 4ー10ー20 seconds to start and i cーcould just oーopen a tーterminal aーand start vーvーvーvim bーby then, aーnd evーevery day gedit rーredesigns the entire UーUI and last time IーI tried it, iーiーiーt took mーmultiple sーseconds to hーhighlight aーall the tーtext wーwhen dーdーdoing aーa sーsearch, sーsーenpai

i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪it starts i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪instantly h‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪here a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪user-sama a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪and it r‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪rarely lags w‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪with me a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪although that m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪may be because i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-i have t‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪too much RAM, p‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪p‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪processor speed and an S‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪S‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪S‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪S‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪S‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪SSD, h‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪honestly I haven't r‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪really looked into e‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪editors, g‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪gedit, even t‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪though it is b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪being gradually b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪bloated is s‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪still a lot more simple than s‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪something like Atom a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪and it has a v‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪very simple i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪interface for a m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪mousefag l‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪like me
t‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪they're o‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪o‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪only doing m‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪minor c‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪changes now a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪user-sama, y‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪you can use an o‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪old version that has no g‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪garbage if you like
b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪but a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪user-sama, v‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪v‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪vi is the editor of the b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪b‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪beast!
i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪ii‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪i r‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪r‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪really like y‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪your h‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪hand w‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪w‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪writing a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪a‭‌‭‌‭-‌‪user-sama!!

What's weird about Neovim? It's Vim, except cleaner and better.

Vim is the masterrace editor, and OpenBSD is the masterrace UNIX (until illumos gets its act together... if ever).

step it up faggot
document.querySelectorAll('.unimportant > a').forEach(e => e.textContent == 'ClipboardImage.png' && e.closest('.post').remove())

/\b(\w[^\s]*)\1\1/

Anything particularly bad or good about Pluma?

/\!$/Checkmate.

Emacs is a giant clusterfuck of lisp. It's like if web pages had lisp instead of pajeetscript.
jed
busybox vi

OP here

top kek

I dunno man, feels somewhat incomplete, although I'm used with vim.

when I mean text editor, I also mean as in some sort of IDE replacement. vim can be extended easily, emacs has already some shortcuts for this, dunno about others.

Neovim can use pretty much all Vim plugins, migrating your settings form Vim to Neovim usually just means renaming the vimrc to init.vim and moving .vim to .config/nvim. Anything you can do in Vim you can also do in Neovim. Well, almost, they removed features that were already broken and useless in the first place and replaced them with better ones.

The only thing that's still kind of flaky are GUIs, I know there is Neovim Qt as the canonical GUI, but I have no idea how well it works. The GUI used to be part of Vim, leading to a number of problems, while in Neovim they removed any notion of GUI and made the GUI essentially another plugin. This makes it possible to cleanly separate things, write the GUI in any framework you want, and you can do cool things that you couldn't in GUI Vim, like the popups in pic related.

geany

alrighty then, I guess I'll try again

best editor

f-‌f-‪‌f‪‌-f-‪‪f‪‌-f‪‌-f-‪‪f‌‌-f‪‪-f-‌‪f‪‪-‌f‪‌-f-‪‪f-‪f‪‌-f‌‌-f-‌f-f‌-f-‌f-f‌-f-‌f-f-‪f-f‪-f-‪fil‪te‌r n‌-n-n‪-n‌-n-‌n-n‌-n-‌n-n-‪n-n‪-n‌-n-‌n-n‌-n-‌n-n‌-n-n‪-ne‪gat‪ed‌, f-‪f-‌f-f‌-f-f‪-f-‪fa‌ggo‌t!‌‌

‪n-‌n-n‌-n-n‪-n‌-n-n‪ow ‪a-a‪-af‪te‌r a‌ c-c‪-c‌-c-c‪oup‪le ‪h-‌h-h-‪h-h‪ou‌rs o‪f p‪-p‌-p-‌p-p‌rogr‪amm‪ing‪ I‌ c-c‪-c‌-c-‌c-c‌-cr‌eat‌ed ‌a s-‌‌‪s-‌s-s-‪scr‪ipt‪ t-‪t-‌t-t‌hat‌ b-b‪-b-‪b-‌b-b-‪b-b‪rut‪ef‌orce‪s ‌a-a-‪a-‌a-a‌-a-a‪ll ‪y-y‪-y-‪yo‌ur s‪-s‌-s-s‪-s‌-sil‪ly‌ d-d‪-du‪mb‌ r‌-r-‪r‌egu‪la‪r‌ e‌-e-‪e‌xp‌res‪s‌ion‪s!‪!!‪!‌!!!‪!‌‪

s‌-s‌-s-‪s-s-suck it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!‌

I wasted several hours of your life and made you rage several weeks off your life expectancy merely by spending ten seconds of my own. I'm winning, everyone else is laughing, and you're sobstuttering in public like a little bitch.
/[\u0000-\u001f\u007f-\uffff]/

o-o-⁣o-o⁣-o-o‬-o-‬o-o‬-o⁣nly⁣ be⁣caus‬e ⁣I wa‬s ⁣d-d⁣-d-⁣doi⁣ng i‬t ⁣a-a-‬as ‬an⁣ e-⁣e-e-‬e-exercise in a n-n-new language a-a-⁣a-and I e-e-enjoyed i-it
a-a-a‬-a-‬a-⁣and ‬50 ‬m-m‬-m⁣etri‬c t‬-t-‬t-⁣t-t-‬t-tons of s-s-salt
n-n-n‬-n⁣-n-n-not true
a-a-⁣a-a-at you
I came here to do that
c-c-c‬-c⁣-c-c‬-c-‬c-c‬al⁣l m⁣e a ‬b-⁣b-b-‬b-⁣b-b-‬b-⁣bit⁣ch ⁣aga⁣in ⁣a-a⁣-a-⁣a-a⁣-a-a‬-a-user-kun
ps: all it took me to negate your filter was changing 2 characters in my program

Pelles C is dead, just like C is dead, just like Dennis Ritchie is dead.

Pelles C doesn't need updates, or a community, for it to be a great piece of software. It is so far the only compiler that fully implements the entire C11 standard. There isn't really anything else that it needs to be. When a new C standard comes out Pelle might work on it again.

I would like to see Pelles C have more development, so it can rival gcc and clang and cl, but, I don't really think that it needs to be anything more than it is. What I love about the software is how it's complete, and I probably wont ever need to change versions of it.

I started using nano for my shit a year ago, and its pretty much all I need. I use it for small scripts and configs, plus t530 has comfy setup for arrow keys by giving me pgup and pgdown right next to the up arrow key.

what is this bullshit?

Whoa, I did not know of the busybox rewrite vi is exactly what I need. Do you use busybox for anything else besides vi ?

the trial is unlimited if you can't afford it

If it had emacs style selection, I'd use it over mg.

Scintilla (Geany and Notepad++) for solo stuff.
Gobby for collaborative editing.

Pelles C doesn't support compiling with ASLR and similar security flags.

make a web browser thread next please

A good decision. I fucking hate it when programs dump all their crap into ~/, that's like dumping everything into the hallway of your place instead of having dedicated rooms. Oh wait, they put a dot in front of the file name, now it's like dumping everything into the hallway and then dragging a blanket over it. The shit is still there, but at least now you cannot see it.

NOUN: pelle 1. A clown

spacemacs

gay
Also

Whatever, its fun to use as an IDE and works for most things. If you want more speed, security, etc. in your production binaries you can compile again with gcc or icc, but when writing new code, its fine.

Right now it beats Visual Studio hands down on the merit that its not a bloated piece of shit.

What is your emacs-init-time?

Not him, and I don't even use Spacemacs, but I run Emacs as a systemd user service and connect to it through emacsclient. It's easy to make startup time irrelevant.

It's what I used to do (except for the systemd part, systemd is gay shit).
Sadly this approach leads to high buffer pollution.
Having a separate instance of emacs for each particular task is much more handy, especially if you run stuff like Ensime or Geiser.

For me it's 1.7s with Evil (Evil gives 1.1s, emacs -Q is 0.2 s.).
I managed to do all per-language configuration lazily at time when a specific type of file is opened. I also use threads but it's a pretty small gain.

I wonder if spacemacs guys do better than this.

why would I want a bunch of bullshit telling me the code I'm writing is subjectively bad?
i can feel the bloat through your GIF
▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀░░░░░▀▄▄▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒███▀▀▀▀███████▄▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒░▒▒░▒███▀░░░░░▐███████▌▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒██▌░░░░░░░░▀███████▌▒▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▐██░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▐█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████▌▒▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▀░░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▐░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▀░▄▀░█░░░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒░▒░▄█▀▄░▄▀░█░▀▌░░░▀░░░▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▐░▀░░▌░▌░░░░▐░░░░░░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▐░░░▐░▒░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░▐▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀░▒░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▒░▒▒▒░░░░▒▒░░▄▄▒░░░░░▐▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒░░▀▄▄▀▀░░▒░░░░▐▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▀▒▒▒▀░░░░░░░░▄▀▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▒▄░░░▄▀▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄█████▄▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒

A linter usually checks against language's guidelines. You also can have custom linters.

test

Please use >>>/test/

You don't have to use a GUI. I personally use terminal Neovim because it does most of what I need, but I would like to have a GUI that allows me to view a PDF right next to my code in the same application. The point is that it can be done now.

Why wouldn't you? Save a file, the linter runs asynchronously and you get information on where your code is broken before even running it.

By that I mean the PDF I an currently writing, so every time I save my file and the PDF is rebuilt the PDF view gets updated automatically.

github.com/limetext/lime
this is being developed fairly reliably so i'm going to be pretty happy once it's out. other than that nano and mousepad are fine for simple text editing and sublime is good for projects. the popup is annoying but not unbearable. just dill with it

This is the type of high tech banter I come here for

I liked pluma.

gߺgߺg­ߺgߺglad to sߺsߺ­sߺsatisfy you aߺaߺuserߺchan!!

Pluma does not know what it wants to be - an IDE or a simple text editor, so it ends up being useless. Use Geany for the former and Leafpad for the latter.

Buy RAM then.

Get a job.

If you're that fucking poor or cheap, put up with the nagware version.

Use Neovim then.

It's just a better Vim. What's weird about that?

That's the point.

It's the first attempt at being a complete dev environment without going full IDE.

It's okay, but if you want that experience just get one of the Electron editors, since they actually pull it off.

you are a piece of cancer, but I admit, you made me laugh this time, fag

get with the times, grandpa

I use busybox as my shell and all utilities. Unfortunately, this is not compatible with portage or the bootscripts (because GNUshit) so I have to keep a GNU coreutils laying around.

Akelpad for general textedit stuff. Default.
Netbeans for programming.
VSCode for fun.

Who cares about RAM anyway? I don't even have that much but it's never an issue.

640kb should be enough for everyone.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

this is bait, i can tell by >Electron

saw the top and read Visual Studio Code and might as well samefag. the "open in folder" function now launches Visual Studio Code.. WTF?

I understand you are a retarded winfag subhuman, but could you explain what is so fun about VSCode?

You should try Fagioliposting, stuttering and tripfagging at the same time for ultimate cancer.

For the sake of zoological amusement.

Is sex with sheep not cutting it anymore?

Learn to use Emacs and wean yourself from Microsoft's clutches. Use GNU/Linux or BSD.

s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-stop b-b-b-being s-s-s-s-s-s-s-so m-m-m-m-m-mean!

s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-sorry! f-f-f-f-forgot m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-my p-p-p-pic!

God says...
Crest's hardy densest terrorizes lobby's zealousness's tuition's buttoned
Gainsborough intensifiers coopers faulty merit's waterway's coughing perceive
backhanded vindicates polyp's pygmy musters diagrammatic gadding uncritical
bounced rebelliously titmouse galvanometers Bulgarian's infrared
temperatures pothook

OC was created to answer this question that comes up in many breads.
/thread

The true editor is TECO.

Why worry about editors when you don't write enough code for it to matter. Other than avoiding emacs pinky you shouldn't care.

KWrite/Kate are severely under-rated so far as GUI Text Editors go.
KDevelop is also alright, but still a bit too buggy for my liking. That said, I'm still on V4.
It's a shame the KDE project, in general, went down the whole furry mascot path. It's actually really gotten quite decent tech-wise now that a lot of the buggy Plasma shit has been sorted out. Still a lot of shit that needs to be either fixed or purged though (Akonadi, etc).

EMACS IS GOD'S (Stallman's) GIFT TO COMPUTING
ALL HAIL THE HOLY LAMBDA

Into the recycling bin it goes.

Nigger, putting a UI on NVim is like giving a cancer patient AIDS.

I want this too but the only way I find only is 10k aliases. How did you do it ?

You know vi is in your blood when you try to jump back a few seconds in a vidya you're watching by pressing j instead of using the mouse your hand was on.

Anyone else tried the mg editor?
It's like an emacs-lite.

test

Same guy.
Is this a bad idea ?

for i in $(busybox --list)
do
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/busybox /usr/local/bin/$i
done

Create something like /usr/local/busyboxbin/ and link it in there and add it to your PATH.

Why is this a better idea ?
Also should I set up global path in /etc/environment or /etc/profile ?

t.89 iq windows user

Makes it easy to clean up if you change your mind.
Set your PATH in your .bash_profile (executed at each login) or your .bashrc (executed for each new shell/terminal), assuming your login shell is bash. /etc/environment and /etc/profile are systemwide, which is inconvenient for things you can do without root instead.

You don't need this.
Busybox sh uses built-ins by default.

Ok. I got it thanks.

except I use bash

I use it on my Alpine box. The two problems I have so far is that the region (or the mark) aren't visible and that tab width is hardcoded to 8.

What is the point than?

I use Atom, but I used to use Sublime Text.

Not if you know the right bits to flip ;)
There are gists floating around that tell you what bits to flip to get you the unlimited version. It's usually a NOP slide, but sometimes it's changing a jmp statement.

As for CLI, I use one called micro. It's nano, but with a few more features and supports standard shortcuts like Ctrl-C/V, theming, and configuration. You can set the shortcuts to anything you like.

Low IQ normies love this shit so much my employer buys the license for every rookie when his probation ends.
The only feature this editor appears to have is that it looks gayer than AIDS.

I tried to show couple of coworkers what the real editors can do but apparently one needs to have a three digit IQ to appreciate Emacs.

Why is Sublime supposed to be good? It reminds of the DAWs where people spend 300$ on shit software that has less features than one for 50$.

I know some autists in my class used it when we were programming java(no fucking idea why) I thought it looked like a retarded version of notepad++, it just gives the user a really pretty interface, can handle a shitton of data (why fucking notepad shits bricks handling a 50000 line file I've no idea) but it's notepad++ prettier interface less tools.
Its made for tools.

If you handle 50k line files in a text editor, you should as well consider suicide.

From my extremely limited experience using it on other people's computers, its main attraction is that it puts a lot of fairly standard "proper" text editor features as well as a couple of novel tricks in a non-autistic user interface - something that can be explored, and learned without a manual. I don't know how good it is - I wouldn't use it either way, I don't like proprietary software and I'm happy with Emacs.
Sublime did inspire me to try a multiple cursors and a minimap extension. I still use the multiple cursors extension all the time, it's an easier way to do most of the things you can do with keyboard macros. The minimap was ok but I didn't stick with it.

Why? Is this a my use case is the only use case kind of thing?

What kind of text file is 50K lines? For CSV, use appropriate tools.

The ability to open 50k-line files makes Sublime into an appropriate tool for such large files.
If I had to extract information from a 50k-line file then it's possible I would parse it or load it and search through it programmatically, but depending on the exact thing I want to do, it might be much more reasonable to grep through it instead. grep is a more general method for going through large files, that's less powerful for specific formats but more useful in general. It's the same principle.

No it doesn't. You might as well open it in the fucking Excel (which would actually make more sense), as some retards do.
Data extraction done by a text editor is a sign of computer illiteracy. And you sound mongoloid anyway.

Do you think data extraction with grep is okay?

You could try and use it.
For a text editor, it's fast, simple, and all the basic shit you want to do is obvious and clear.
If you want to do slightly more advanced configuration, it's also capable.

It's an editor geared towards developers who care about spending more time developing than configuring an IDE or a cli tool.

Probably not. It depends on a particular problem, but command line utilities is a good place to start.

yes

There is enough wrong with it, but it's better than everything else.

Let's say I have a 50 MB data dump, containing (mostly) text, and I only need to look up one or two things in it, for the information, not for the raw data. Would it be more reasonable to parse or load the whole dump, possibly installing software for it first, or to see how far I get with grep?
I hope you'll agree it isn't a contrived situation.

consider suicide

why do you niggers come in and talk about atom/sublime/visual CODE or whatever shit? the whole reason we make these threads is because the last 10 editors (neither of which are nearly as bad as the afformentioned) are complete shit

I have no idea what 'data dump' is, but it sounds like a semi-structured text file. Thus it should be easy to parse.
It would be if you had given us the actual file.

Why do faggy neckbeards like you complain?
I laid out all my cards on the table. No hiding, shilling, etc.
You know what I use and what I like.

I could have been clearer about what I do, though.
I prefer developing rather than fucking about with my tools. One-time setup is good for me, and maybe a little fine tuning once in a while.

The editor has one purpose: make me develop faster.
If it fails at that, it's shit.
If I have to spend hours learning/configuring shortcuts/fixing problems, it's shit.

Xed is the best thing to come out of Linux Mint besides the Cinnamon desktop.

you don't get it nigger, we all know what sublime is because you stupid kids don't shut up about it.
your entire reply is retarded bait

What a useful, helpful response.
I'm sure OP gleaned a sophisticated, mature opinion from your contributions.

Start coding, nigger.
Stop bitching about software and make your own, if they're all so bad.

>>>/reddit/

Are you implying that not developing = developing?

I got shit to do.
I don't have time to waste, fucking about with some retard's idea of a "great editor"
If it's not good enough to use with ~1/2 hours of configuring, it's not a good editor.

Editors don't exist to be configured.
They exist to be used.

A real programmer would appreciate a programmable editor.
You would not because you are an illiterate nigger. Your arguments are beyond retarded.
Consider suicide.

Said like someone who doesn't code for a living.
No, that's what you like.

Thanks, I'll totally reconsider my position now.

>claims to program code for a living
You just gave yourself away.

Believe it or not, I don't get paid to configure my editor.

I don't think you get paid to do anything, newfriend.
It's painfully obvious that you have never worked at a real job.

You get paid to configure software?

ssstop llarping as mme

Again, undergrad retard doesn't understand the concept of "getting the job done" and believes configuration is done by hand every day.
Can your ape brain even imagine a world in which files can be copied from a computer to another, so that you can retain the same configuration on multiple machines?
Do you really think even 2h of configuration implying I didn't download a complete .vimrc from the webz is relevant when you're talking about programming thousands of hours with that same conf?

a) Nice ad hom
b) You copy them by hand? This isn't the 90s. Even Atom has a basic package that does this automatically as a gist. It's called sync-settings.

Is this how you make up for you inferiority complex?
Remember, OP started this thread to ask for editor advice.
He liked one, but mentioned it was too expensive.
I offered to mention that there are ways to bypass it, were he ever interested.

You came in, pretentious as fuck, and offered nothing but personal insults.

why did you even start talking about configuration? I was just talking about editors not being shit. For example gedit is basically unusable because it's so slow and full of web 3.0 shit, so it's only natural for any Linux user to go looking for something else. I helped those faggots fix showstopping bugs in this editor back in the day, which they never noticed because they probably don't even use it, and in the last few years the program has just went full retard after being somewhat acceptable for some years. We're talking about a basic text editor here, not le job getting done software, whatever that means. I just use plain text editors and vim for 99% of my code and they are painfully slow and buggy enough.
autistic argument

He's right though. Not using an editor because of configuration time is like not using Gentoo because the installation is longer than the Debian graphical installer.

No, he's a tripfag with an inferiority complex.
In a thread like this, there is absolutely no reason to go after people willingly offering advice.

ISHYGYDGYHGHDIDT

we're reaching levels of bait which shouldn't be possible

git gud, fgt.

I hate ex-vi and all other implementations.
nvi a shit,
I can't get nvi2 to compile
Didn't know about busybox vi and I thought about replacing some commonly used shit with busybox alternatives.

standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
OK

RIP, Uriel

Spacemacs is the comfyiest editor I've ever used.

Show it's in action. Otherwise no argument for you, LARPer friend.

I rather let Russ Cox speak for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M

I saw this video already. I was asking about your use case.
Apparently there's none.

fuck text editors that open URLs when you click on them. I just ran notepad++ for the first time in a year today and was reminded of this bullshit that unpatched gedit does