PAIN

I have to use ClearCase for version control at work... some there even say they like it, but they have never tried anything else and seem to have worked there for 30 years.

Speak of other terrors in this thread.

ITIL

sadly it's good to know in large organizations

You asked for this.
Once upon a time, not that long ago, I had an "interesting" job.

They had me doing JS-framework-heavy web development on a Pentium 2 with a half-dead CRT. I had to curb my impulse to F5 when editing because that cost a 1-minute page load each time. There were better machines going unused (the last person to work on the project ragequit before I got there) and I wasn't allowed to touch any of it.
I was forbidden from using git. Not allowed for toy things that only lived in my home folder, not even allowed to use git-svn to read commit logs with a non-shit viewer. This was enforced via shoulder-surfing micromanagement.
The work conditions could be described as "open-plan office". We sat in a warehouse (which might as well not have been there for the zero protection from the elements it offered) with loud industrial machinery a few feet away. Ever tried writing code in mid-winter outdoor temperatures when you can't feel your fingers and all you can hear is pneumatic hammering?
Large chunks of functionality would undergo complete rewrites every few months as management found a new shiny JS framework to jam into the frontend, which already used about 4 or 5 simultaneously. Meanwhile I had to write half an OS from scratch on the backend because adding dependencies of any kind there wasn't allowed.
One day management found some shiny JS garbage I'd never heard of for making ugly JS-populated spreadsheet tables and demanded everything be rewritten around it, throwing away years of work on a nearly finished product. I handed in my resignation the same week and let them burn.

Trying to get audio working consistently on Linux. 8+ years. Once a year I give it a try, make some progress then hit a brick wall, consider uninstalling everything and selling my computer but I always just revert to the shit I have that doesn't even work but is at least consistently shit. This year I found my own blogposts from 8 years ago on how to get audio working that's how hopeless it truly is.

I'm a sys admin in a company that exclusively runs windows (even in servers). I fucking hate it, it is the biggest piece of shit. It breaks constantly, it's extremely insecure, and windows 10 (need I say more). Every time I plead to start switching to GNU/Linux I constantly get shot down.
Fucking sucks

If they're hiring you to administer a Windows network, then do exactly that. Either put up with it or go find a different job.

I would simply quit at the very moment somebody suggests that.

I just wonder how business or companies like this can even exist, how they even can make money somehow to pay salaries.

What do you mean consistently? My audio works in my browser, my music player and so on more or less effortless now days. Can you elaborate?

uninstall/remove pulseaudio

you seem to be misled. installing pulseaudio is the easiest way to get audio to work consistently in Linux.

A sad, harsh truth.

Linux audio is the best.
Linux has Linux laptop orchestras.
Does Windows have laptop orchestras? Does Mac? No they don't. Checkmate atheists.

Oh I know user. But I've tried dozens and dozens of settings, configs, tweaks and combinations of software etc. None of it seems to work for me. And all of it takes too much time and effort to even mess with, I've used 3 installations in that time and in each one I've spent the first month trying to remember/relearn how to get it to default to using my soundcard rather than something else. Bizarrely only in the past few months has my volume settings for my soundcard been saved, for 2 years I had to open a program and turn up the volume on the soundcard every time I booted up.
I better stop now I don't mean to complain too much but it really is my personal hell.

What distro user? Had similar problems on debian, fixed doing this:
echo "amixer sset Master 70%" >> ~/.xsessionrcecho "amixer sset Master on" >> ~/.xsessionrc
Then rebooting.

Put command line commands in a file that your distro reads while booting like I did, or if the problem is some proprietary shitware that doesn't have a way to access it through the command line, you could always resort to making some complicated script with something like xdotool, and putting that into a file that you distro reads.

If you have XFCE and Debian and the pulseaudio slider plugin, there is really fucking retarded piece of shit move that the software does. If your slider is, for example 100% and then you decide to go into the pulse audio main console mixer, and want to mute the sound output on the mixer then the mixer in the plugin goes to 0 yet when you change the mixer setting the plugin stays 0. That confused the shit out of me. It was a problem with Debian version of package too, vanilla XFCE from upstream works flawless.

never mind, when I tried testing out my explanation, I inadvertently caused my sound to be mute even when it says that it's 100%. Fucking piece of shit.

FOR FUCKS SAKE THE SOUND IS MUTED ON START UP!

Sweet I solved it, all I needed to do was log into GNOME (could be any other desktop environment though) and change the sound via the slider in the top right hand corner. This isn't pulseaudio, it's xfce being xfces being packaged with shit for core plugins such as also-mixer. That program is a cancer and should be exterminated, pavucontrol is god.

Yeah I should have automated that but I was pretty mentally done by the time that happened. My asoundrc is pretty much this

Sounds like Lennart Poettering devised a special hell for the most unlikely individuals.

I don't habeeb it, user, what editor does he use? A lot of IDEs and editors would shit the bed over that.

Good to know doesn't mean it's not a terror.
It is the most obtuse, purposefully vague documentation ever designed, it is a perfect example of corporate bureaucracy creating a grey paste product.

I still don't know it, I suspect no one really understands ITIL because I haven't been called out on it.

Here's a fun thing to do if you want a heart attack, do a "dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth" on all your win10 boxes, I have see if the wim is damaged every few months to prevent random parts of the system from breaking.
It's amazing how unstable some very basic parts of win10 is.

exactly. it's designed to be vague. it's mostly "here are some rules, but you don't really have to follow them lol"
I was on a McKinnely airport workshop or whatever it's called. to be fair that 2 day workshop did describe problem handling in large corp environments fairly well. in my opinion all middle management and higher should take that workshop to see what the lower staff actually has to deal with on a daily basis

He uses vim with arrow keys.

They made most of their money as a webdev sweatshop selling SaaS CMS hosting to computer-illiterate locals, this death march was a thing on the side.

It's amazing that anyone could be so confused as to what is a male or female connection, but then again, we have people today thinking that they can be some
fairy tale genders as if it was subjective.

Sounds like cgit. I tried to do something about its shit-tier HTML once and it was like looking at PHP code I wrote 15 years ago.

oh you poor bastard. i can sympathize, I actually worked on that shitshow of a product line after they merged with IBM. Everything in the line is utter garbage and inferior to free alternatives.

I always had problems with my audio, then I installed the pulseaudio-alsa package (Arch) and everything worked.

Speaking of version control:
MKS

It's literally a directory versioning layer on top of SCCS. You know, the original UNIX VCS the horrors of which motivated creation of CVS as a superior replacement.

Fortunately, my employer finally left that shit few years ago and switched to Perforce.