Holla Forums's Official Film Director Tier List

Kino Tier
Tarkovsky
God Tier
Bresson, Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ford, Hitchcock
High Tier
Renoir, Ozu, Hawks, Antonioni, De Sica, Welles, Keaton, Vigo, Wilder, Lean, Cocteau, Dreyer, Buñuel, Ray
Mid Tier
Chaplin, Wadja, Griffith, Scorcese, Herzog, Coppola, Kubrick, Murnau, Carné, Eisenstein, Minnelli, Vláčil, Capra, Powell, Truffaut, Salam, Lang, Huston, Parajanov, Kieślowski, Brakhage, Reed, Clouzot, Scott, Kazan, Leone
Low Tier
Weir, Altman, Lucas, Nolan, Bogdanovich, Hughes, Burton, Linklater, Dano, Lumet, Cameron, Malick, Güney, Kaige, Spielberg, Laine, Dayan, Miller, Friedkin, Godard, Marker, Gilliam, Resnais, Forman, Sokurov, Trier, Peckinpah, Zinnemann, Lynch, Cukor, Mankiewicz, Melville, Rohmer, Verhoeven, Reitman, Fincher, Curtiz, Wyler, Attenborough, Schlesinger, Nichols, Penn, Hill, Jewison, Jackson
Shit Tier
Everyone else

Other urls found in this thread:

hollaforums.com/thread/642537/television-and-film/holla-forums-s-official-film-director-tier-list.html
archive.is/tO7oP
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/32215055/
reddit.com/r/movies/comments/pxq3d/tvs_all_time_director_tier_list_does_reddit_agree/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kino Tier
Lucas
God Tier
Bresson, Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ford, Hitchcock, Tarkovsky
High Tier
Renoir, Ozu, Hawks, Antonioni, De Sica, Welles, Keaton, Vigo, Wilder, Lean, Cocteau, Dreyer, Buñuel, Ray
Mid Tier
Chaplin, Wadja, Griffith, Scorcese, Herzog, Coppola, Kubrick, Murnau, Carné, Eisenstein, Minnelli, Vláčil, Capra, Powell, Truffaut, Salam, Lang, Huston, Parajanov, Kieślowski, Brakhage, Reed, Clouzot, Scott, Kazan, Leone
Low Tier
Weir, Altman, Nolan, Bogdanovich, Hughes, Burton, Linklater, Dano, Lumet, Cameron, Malick, Güney, Kaige, Spielberg, Laine, Dayan, Miller, Friedkin, Godard, Marker, Gilliam, Resnais, Forman, Sokurov, Trier, Peckinpah, Zinnemann, Lynch, Cukor, Mankiewicz, Melville, Rohmer, Verhoeven, Reitman, Fincher, Curtiz, Wyler, Attenborough, Schlesinger, Nichols, Penn, Hill, Jewison, Jackson
Shit Tier
Everyone else

FTFY

God tier

Where's Carpenter?

OP is obvious eurotrash whose mom was probably raped by cossacks. Pay no attention to his shit list, user.

I don't recognize a single name on that list.

Directors are useless and just ruin everything they touch, its a meme-tier profession.

Tarkovsky is low tier kino though so that's barely passable.
Regardless your list is shit OP.

This.

How?

why?

It's good. It's thematically close to it. But he does nothing special beyond his films just work and people overrate him into something he's far from.
To be fair no film is perfect but Tark is definitely one of the best just not the greatest.

And to answer your director question, they ride on the movies they make and trademark a personal style that gets old while not even directly being responsible for the entire film at times just overseeing it.

Then who's the greatest?

Lean you bottomfeeding pleb.

I'd say it'd have to balance out with various people.
Personal stories, general stories, environmental stories all have separate directors and cinematographers who it best. So I'd say there is none, but you can definitely add on to kino tier.
But you won't because after this debacle you're not allowed to make another one of these threads.

This isn't my thread, m8.

Can you give examples of the best films, directors, and cinematographers who did each type of story best?

OP is a faggotas usual :'^)

Where is
Hack Tier
???

Kino Tier
Lucas
Low Tier
Abrams
Shit Tier
Stoklasa

Shit list op

gee why don't you put some more kikes on the list OP

Burgerfats please go.

Shit thread, fam.

KINO TIER
Mary Harron
GOD TIER
Christopher Nolan
SHIT TIER
Everyone else

FIFY
Kino Tier (Reaches films true potential as a medium, films are good in ways that can not be explained by rational thought)
Tarkovsky
God Tier (Almost nearly Kino, has the same skill of technique as Kino tier but, lacks vision and an eye for the truly transcendent) Will never make Kino.
Kubrick
High Tier (Has Kino class talent in one aspect of filmmaking (example:visuals), but is sub-par in other aspects of filmmaking(examples:Dialogue and storytelling) Could make Kino.
Lucas, Snyder
Mid Tier (All technical skill, but simply lacks vision and a eye for the transcendent.) Will never make Kino.
Coppola, Burton, Spielberg, Jackson
Hack Tier (Makes pretentious shlock and films so bad their good. (example: The Plane Scene)) What's Kino?
Nolan

What a pleb taste, where is polkino? (pol as in polish not politically incorrect)

Can someone explain this: "Lucas is Kino" meme to me? I haven't been able too shitpost here for a while.

THX-1138, American Graffiti, all his short films, his documentary on Francis Ford Coppola, and of course, his magnum opus, the six Star Wars films. Lucas is probably the greatest American director post Welles.

So did the meme start as spite for the RLM: Force Awakens review, then people started too legitimately look into George's work finding honest quality?

It tales a whole nuther level of tisum to have a list like that in your head.

Virgin spotted

Maybe, I know I thought it was just a meme until I went back and watched The Prequels with fresh eyes and enjoyed them immensely.

Surprisingly OK thread.

I would add villeneuve to low tier for Prisoners and Enemy alone, but i liked the visuals and storytelling of arrival quite a bit, and the message of sicario is good too.

God of Cucks sure

You are a nigger retard who has no idea what directors do.

Then what do directors do? Are they more-so a supervisor and project manager then commonly believed?

A director makes sure his vision gets realized by the crew, he's sort of like the General, while the producers makes sure he has everything he needs and helps with the casting, the director orchestrates the film. Or at least that's what is supposed to happen.

Checked. The other guy is a literal retard. You shouldn't have even bothered responding.

You accidentally put an R in Besson.

WHAT THE FUCK!
I googled this tread's name on a whim and I found our post's on hollaforums.com/thread/642537/television-and-film/holla-forums-s-official-film-director-tier-list.html
archive:archive.is/tO7oP

This
As well as DIRECT ACTORS on how to perform.

Goddamn you're retarded

duh. biggest red flag was nolan not in shit tier

Shit has been scraping our large boards for a a couple of years now. Can be used as a psuedo archive of sorts if you that hard up to find a deleted thread.

/==tv/'s Official Director Ranking (Sat 20 Apr 2013)== archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/32215055/
Orson Welles
Stanley Kubrick
Yasujiro Ozu
Akira Kurosawa
Frederico Fellini
David Lean
Ingmar Bergman
Quentin Tarantino
Andrei Tarkovsky
Terrence Malick, Seijun Suzuki, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, John Ford, Wong Kar-Wai, Martin Scorsese, Luis Bunuel, Satyajit Ray, Michael Powell, Fritz Lang, Jean Renoir, Kenji Mizoguchi, Francis Ford Coppola, Masaki Kobayashi, Sergio Leone, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Krzysztof Kieslowski, John Cassavetes, Kenji Mizoguchi
PTA, Coen Brothers, Bernardo Bertolucci, David Fincher, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Rob Reiner, Brian Levant, Milos Forman, Lars Von Trier, Cecil B. De Mille, Jean Luc Godard, Woody Allen, Carol Reed, Danny Boyle, Werner Herzog, Pedro Almovadar, Sydney Pollack, John Carpenter, Roman Polanski, David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, David Cronenberg, Francois Truffaut, Charlie Chaplin, Sydney Lumet
Darren Aronofsky, Jim Jarmusch, Clint Eastwood, Sofia Coppola, Irvin Kerschner, Christopher Nolan, Spike Jonze, James Cameron, Oliver Stone, Richard Linklater, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann
George Lucas, M. Night Shyamalan
Rob Zombie, Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, McG, Tyler Perry, Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer, Judd Apatow, Dennis Dugan, Catherine Hardwicke, Roland Emmerich, Paul W.S. Anderson, Brett Ratner, Zack Snyder

He makes homages to exploitation films, you fucking pleb. He's good at what he does, but what he does is shit.

Pathetic list.

lol, nevermind

Found this.
Here's reddit bitching about it: reddit.com/r/movies/comments/pxq3d/tvs_all_time_director_tier_list_does_reddit_agree/

It's like pottery

==BRAVO TIER
Nolan
GOOD TIER
Uwe Boll
FUCKING FAGGOT TIER
Your favorite director

This one is even worse than OP's.

I'm serious, this entire thread is shit, let it die already.

No.

On the contrary every single director in this thread is shit. The rankings are all just wrong and retarded.

Then who's good? Even Tarkovsky?

OP we've been over this…

I'm not OP.

Good thing all of those anons in that thread thibk he's a faggot.

A user said:
God tier should be
Welles
Hitchcock
Bergman
Tarkovsky
Bresson
Dreyer
Rossellini
Bunuel
Ford
Kurosawa
Lang
Murnau
I'm only familiar with about half of these.

That's what they all say.

Don't believe me if you want, but that still doesn't make me OP.

lol

Literally leddit:the list written by some random faggot who wanted to show off his cultural capital by name-dropping cult directors without having any grasp of cinematic history. I'm sad to say that anons on Holla Forums -while possessing a superior taste and sophistication- are not strangers to this vice.

Cinema isn't a mere medium. A director's importance is irrespective of schaulust, the amount or intensity of subjective pleasure one derives from his works. Cinema is a sovereign language that exists in a visual time-space and is bred and conveyed by technology.

The most important directors are those whose innovations in narrative technique, in the practical application of existing technology and in visual storytelling led to a paradigmatic change. Without their groundbreaking work, cinema as a whole couldn't exist as we know it today. Think of Griffith, think of Eisenstein and the Kuleshov school, think of De Sica's neorealismo and Lucas. But in rare cases an auteur sees behind this ultimately mechanized, pragmatic and reproducible language and discovers God, the creator. Such is the case of metaphysical kino, of Tarkovsky and Bresson.

Now I'm not here to scold you. I'd like you to become something more than amateurs. Start by studying film history. Most of you already have a solid base. By this point you can distinguish real filmmaking from cashgrab flicks. You're cynical and individualistic enough not to fall to propaganda and vapid trends. The present generation of filmmakers dominating the industry is of those who know but can't see. You, on the contrary, can see without knowing.

The cinematic knowledge is twofold: theoretical and practical, the former being a prerequisite of the latter. For maybe the first time in history, a mass produced, affordable technological apparatus is available to you. Start making films while constantly educating yourselves and each other. Not out of greed, not out of lust, not out of vanity, but out of love and veneration. You're sure to struggle, but in the end you'll be infinitely richer.

Uwe Boll Tier on that pic equals Kino tier.

The godfather of all flicks, not kino. He was a hack. Montage theory is hollywood trash tier. Even Lucas is far more artistic.

Where's Bondarchuk?

Guys, I think it's probable that is carefully constructed bait. It was posted on Reddit on Feb 20th 2012 (Thus making its probable origin around 2010-2011). That's around 4chan Holla Forums's peak in quality I believe.

In bed with tarkovsky, discussing kino.

*tsk*
u dunno nuffin cracka

All Hail Godlike David Lean!

All-Seeing and All-Knowing!

100s of White Shirts All Immaculately Pressed!

How can a Being of Gold sweat?

Eisenstein is a prime kinauteur and cinétheoretique who’s tragically misunderstood by Ameriplebs.

Montage is irrespective of its practical implementation in 1920’s Soviet cinema where experimenting in order to create a new language for film was a technological, theoretical and ideological necessity. The intellectual montage is first and foremost a narrative-compository technique that aims to create a sovereign meaning through sequences based on conflict. In this sense it is an enduring „dialect” of the cinematic language evident in Soviet, interwar German and postwar Neorealist cinema that was somewhat ironically reanimated in the 2000’s Hollywood of all places and is widely -if not consciously- appreciated by audiences today thanks to Refn, probably the single most important filmmaker since Griffith.

I will illustrate its lasting theoretical validity and adaptivity with the elevator scene from Drive, as I believe it to be widely known here.

First we see the three people in the elevator, experiencing the menacing emnity between the two man from the perspective of Irene. Space is now getting separated as the Driver pulls her to him and the three people become two: the couple unified by the kiss, almost frozen in time and the assasin. Overt conflict then comes into existence through motion as the intimate act of the kiss is transformed into a just as intimate, yet violent act between the two man, with the scene gaining its conclusion in the drama getting elevated to a level of metaphysical conflict between a man fully revealing himself through violence, and woman horrified by his nakedness.

The scene can thus be described as the sequence the following dynamics: conflict of planes-conflict of volumes-spatial conflict-graphic conflict-metaphysical (instead of a stricter ideological) conflict: an adaptation of montage theory technique’s visual counterpointing to modern filmmaking. However, it is much more than that: the dynamic montage of a man’s metamorphosis into a scorpion in a single take, an organic synthesis that goes beyond the traditional distinction between logically and illogicaly conceived images present in montage theory, Kantian instead of Marxian dialectics. This dialectic approach might also be the reason why a number of people here feel that there’s a subtext, something implicitly yet inherently political behind Refn's visual symbolism.

How much does it hurt knowing that the time and money you spent on film school was an utter waste? Is it a sharp pain, user, or more of a dull one?

there's that fag talk we talked about

Read Sculpting in Time by Andrei Tarkovsky

What are you referring too? This video or something else?

kek

I feel the overwhelming urge to shove you into a locker and give you a wedgie after reading that post.

Nigger this is the 2nd most pretentious post I've read in my entire time on this board.

What was the most pretentious post?

This one

define pretentious.

bump

Adding meaning where there is none.

Sage.

FUCK. The quick reply box fucked up.

And double sage.

Fun fact: The scene in which Lawrence boldly claims "They can only kill me with a golden bullet," was not written in the script. It was just Peter O'Toole doing his best improvisation of David Lean.

He is Bravo tier

Okay fags, I revised the list. Is this up to your standards?

Kino Tier

Tarkovsky, Lucas

Bravo Tier

Nolan

God Tier

Bresson, Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ford, Hitchcock

High Tier

Mid Tier

Low Tier

Weir, Altman, Bogdanovich, Hughes, Burton, Linklater, Dano, Lumet, Cameron, Malick, Güney, Kaige, Spielberg, Laine, Dayan, Miller, Friedkin, Godard, Marker, Gilliam, Resnais, Forman, Sokurov, Trier, Peckinpah, Zinnemann, Lynch, Cukor, Mankiewicz, Melville, Rohmer, Verhoeven, Reitman, Fincher, Curtiz, Wyler, Attenborough, Schlesinger, Nichols, Penn, Hill, Jewison, Jackson, Carpenter, Polanski, Tarantino

Shit Tier

Everyone else

OFFICIAL Holla Forums POSTER LIST

Shit Tier
You

God Tier
TruthSeeker

Shit Tier
Everyone else

Nihilist, begone!
cool pic tho

Unnecessary spaces between the lines/10

Sorry, I don't know what words mean.

anything that isn't shitposting tbqhf

Words are a concept of expressing emotion through describing it using certain sounds associated with certain definitions in the human brain.

Kino?

Nolan Tier
Nolan
Shit Tier
Everyone else

This thread had potential, but you shitposting faggots ruined it.

Are dubs Kino?

Kino Tier
Abrams, Feig
God Tier
Whedon, Tarantino, Schneider, Ayer, Moore
Mid Tier
Pirro, Kim, Spielberg, Bogdanovich, Troma, Scott, Brooks
Low Tier
Lucas, Nolan, Tarkovsky, Carpenter, Affleck, Gibson, Scott, Refn, Scorsese
Shit Tier
Everyone else

Not even ironically should you say that.

it's time to go back to mexipol, my little drumpfy drumpfing drumpfybaby

Obvious Bait. You can do better than that, man.