Is the word "Oriental" considered racist?

Now I know the roots of the word. "Of southwest Asian descent"

Though do you think it would be racist to call someone that?

Side thread, I was dicking around on /po/ and made a bait thread about the legalization of weed. End up getting banned for tagging someone, and then calling them a fat fedora neckbeard fuck. SO it looks like im not gonna be there anytime

Yes.

I agree, although why so? I've just grown up knowing it was, but I was curious why.

No, I use it as a descriptive term because "Asian" in the UK means south-asian, so saying "someone is asian" is not useful at all.
Tbh it is just antiquated, but I would never call someone "an oriental" to their face.

You have no say then imperialist.

This, it's maybe more weird than just racist

im fucking cryiNG riGHt NOw

Off by one.

Why do you need an general term for any group in the first place? Just refer to their nationality of origin.

A few leftists movements justify the origins of the modern right wing.

Forgot my >

It was born here aye, and we shall spear it through the heart here too.

we're all getting off topic

Is it or is it not racist you stupid faggots

It's an old "us vs. them" Euro-centric colonialist terminology. So, yes, it's kind of racist, but the terminology is too fucking outdated for anybody to care.

It is you dumbfuck we already established that.

Back to plebbit, faggot.

define racism

How so? all i got is a fucking

Fuck off ☭TANKIE☭.

The other guy asked is it not why, you asked why and I personally don't wanna take the time out to explain why, I wanna go play a game before doing so.

hmm?

Yes.

Because fuck yourself for actually needing to ask the question.

Just call them slanted eyed subhuman insectoids!

But user, they have a higher Autism Level than you.
:^)

OH MY GOD! It's baboon poster! And this time he's insulting asians, not just blacks! He just get's better and better!

you enter the discussion without anything to really say buy shitpost. Explain why IT REALLY is racist

also this photo reminds me of you bud

I can only guess you're wearing a fedora and you have a neckbeard, nonetheless you're too scare to approach someone black in real life to say shit uwu

BLACK people are rabid crazed psychotic animals, of course I'm afraid to approach them! Ive never left my all 99% white suburb in my life, whenever I see a BLACK man I call the police immediately! Even if they are "working" for "ups" or "FedEx" (obvious psyop black people use to be allowed to rob houses in white neighborhoods).

Eqic. He's taking this thing higher and higher. I hope the mods stop banning him because by now it's obvious he's being ironic. He's a better """nazi""" ally than Naziposter.

what a meme

Ok buddy, because you definitely have never found a time where it was convenient to group together culturally similar people in your everyday speech. Making clear distinctions between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean people are 100% necessary in all cases, for sure.

I mean, I don't consider it racist. Mostly just an archaism. Like negro. There are still old people who call themselves "orientals," just don't randomly refer to someone as oriental yourself. It's not like "Jap" or "gook" or "chink" as far as I know, but it still carries connotations of its time.

Thanks for playing.

The thing about Japanese women is that they don’t fall under any classification as “people” as we understand the term today in the west. Through years of eugenics, isolating, late stage capitalism, and a healthy dose of radiation for 55+ years they have developed into an ultra auto-domesticated being with high Neoteny, and completely devoid of emotion. Instead of thinking of them as “people”, think of them more akin to a animated doll, or automaton, as they are as unfeeling, and artificial as one. Do you think it’s a coincidence Holla Forums is infatuated with them?

Nips are counter revolutionary by existence

Ultra-nice if true.

The Orient is just a place on a map. It is like how people from the west are called westerners or people from the ME are called middle-easterners. "Oriental" just refers to where people are on a map.

Its as racist as calling someone russian you retard. The orient is a fucking geographical term you sperg

You have never been to Holla Forums if thats what you think lol

who gives a shit, idpol

it's considered racist because society is filled with morons, but it isn't actually racist. like negro

No. Asian should refer to ALL asians, oriental refers to a particular subtype of Asian people

Chink here, I don't mind the term but it probably is considered racist these days. Use in public at your own risk.

Who cares if it is or isn't? If in context it wasn't meant as racist or if it was just a dirty joke, who gives a fuck? Someone saying nigger or spik or cumskin isn't even the problem anyway, its people using the system of capital to enforce personal attitudes that's the problem.

What are you, a Brit?
Who does that?

Negro will always be the funniest sounding word to me.

Oriental is really somewhat like Negro. With negro, it was once the preferred terminology, has fallen out of fashion, and at THIS point if you use it without being old enough for it to have still been the preferred terminology when you were young people will assume you're only using it because it sounds kinda close to nigger which you would really rather say.
In the case of oriental… it really never was the preferred terminology except in really specific instances in the Near East (oriental orthodox for example), was primarily used at a time when the people using it were VERY RACIST, and frankly if you use it today people will assume you have the same views as the people who primarily used it.

Examine the fact that people used Oriental but didn't call westerners Occidentals. Why do you think they did that. Even if not on purpose, doesn't the fact that you're using a 'weirder' word for the east serve to Otherize the people you're referring to?