Ethics and diet

how many /vegan/ here?
Holla Forums doesn't want to eat theyr veggies because "lol hippie lefty faggot xD muh milk" even when hitler was a vegetarian
you might be more interested in this because is a diet based on ethics and health, and it might be cheaper than a regular diet
also, a big part of the greenhouse gases come from the meat industry

ethics and diet thread

Other urls found in this thread:

americantable.org/2012/07/how-bacon-and-eggs-became-the-american-breakfast/
nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12/dr-gregers-2011-optimum-nutrition-recommendations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

veggie here but this topic will go to shit once the muh hedonism brigade gets wind, polite sage.

I'm just trying to learn which veggies are actually tasty. Many of them become more tolerable when eaten cooked.

I'm a recent vegetarian but I'm thinking of going vegan (since almost every argument for the former also applies to the latter). I'm pretty concerned about my diet if I gave up eggs and dairy, I already have a fairly unhealthy diet and don't want to make it worse by cutting out some of my only sources of protein.

Also, I recognize that this is basically just lifestylism that makes me feel better about myself.

Not vegan/vegetarian but I eat a plant heavy diet, a lot of it I grow myself.
In general eating more vegetables is great because they are really cheap and force you to cook. The proportion of our diet that is composed of meat has skyrocketed since medieval times, which sucks because its largely to help porky's profits:
americantable.org/2012/07/how-bacon-and-eggs-became-the-american-breakfast/

There's literally nothing wrong with killing animals but cholesterol fucks with your arteries.

Tried the bowie diet for 3 moths. Peppers and milk, everyday.

why be so self deprecating? :^)

Vegetarian because I stopped trusting the quality and provenance of meat. Was proved right by endless food scandals.
Before that I cut down because Asian cooking uses meat sparingly. A few tiny strips for flavour.

Diet thread? Chicken and Fish are great lean proteins when you're cutting or bulking. It took me a while to like non-fried fish because my mom was a shit cook who overcooked everything to hell, but I find baked or grilled is healthy and can be great with citrus marinades. Chicken is sigifigantly easier to cook without it tasting like shit, but you need to marinade or leftovers will have a bad aftertaste. I like to serve both with whole grain pasta or rice. Dairy is also good protein and non-fat greek yogurt with some granola is a good 300 calorie breakfast with 20g of protein, you can put some fruit on if you can handle the calories.

Oh and if you're going to cheat make it one or two meals(if you're maintaing instead of cutting or bulking) a week and the rest of the day eat small protein heavy meals. That way you can keep within your calorie goal and hopefully macro nutriet balance.

I do a vegetarian diet (I'm pretty bad at checking for animal byproducts used in other stuff though). Motives were primarily as a small environmental gesture but also it's better for keeping on top of having a cheaper balanced diet. Can't just eat a meaty snack and feel full, have to actually eat substantial food.

The biggest barrier to plant-based eating is being a good cook. It's too bad no one has time (lolcapitalism) to learn what goes well with what so I definitely recommend make a slow transition to a plant-based diet whilst experimenting with vegan recipes when you have free time. Personally, I did it overnight because I've always felt like shit eating the standard diet.

Here's a link everyone should read if they're considering it, kind of a checklist to make sure you're getting optimal nutrition:

nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12/dr-gregers-2011-optimum-nutrition-recommendations/

don't give a fuck about 'animal rights' or other such nonsense but this is a strong argument for reducing the amount of meat eaten, especially beef

I'm an ethical vegan.

Eggs and dairy are generally easier for people to give up than CHEESE. Surprised you didn't list it.
If you want to give it a shot, remember to supplement with vitamin b12 and calcium, which are difficult to get on a vegan diet. Protein with relatively high levels of lysine can be obtained through legumes of all kinds (except peanuts), buckwheat, quinoa, pepitas, and soy products; lysine is typically the limiting amino acid in vegan diets. That said, it is difficult to miss protein targets unless your diet is trash or you do strength training.

Also, to anyone considering it, I highly recommend obtaining a pressure cooker for preparing dried beans, as it cuts cooking time by a factor of 3 to 8.

I am mostly vegan by chance and the environmental and ethical bits are just a plus. I barely have any time to eat, so when I get to it, it's shit like protein shakes and sweets. Besides, meat usually tastes like shit either way. I do miss chicken though but it's tricky to justify.

Where the fuck do you get calcium and iron from?

Mass farming isn't just killing animals though. I don't see anything wrong with hunting for food or at least traditional farming but come on.

I don't even like cheese but eat the shit to get some calcium. Are there any real alternatives?

Why does half of these look like poo?

Cheese is a dairy product, although I would agree that that's probably the hardest one to drop. Thanks for the advice though, I really am considering it.

Iron is found in abundance in dark leafy greens, though it is the non-heme variant which is somewhat more difficult to absorb. Nonetheless, the human body is very efficient in conserving iron, so deficiency shouldn't be a problem unless you hate green vegetables.

Calcium is also found in dark leafy greens, but is often accompanied by salts of oxalic acid, which acts as a chelating agent and reduces absorption/increases excretion, necessitating quite high consumption. Depending on where you live, you may obtain nontrivial quantities of calcium from tap water. I prefer to just supplement with calcium as it's not exactly expensive or hard to obtain naturally (limestone and marble are calcium carbonate, the same chemical found in supplements). Animals obtain calcium from mineral licks if it is not present in sufficient quantities in the environment.

which bacteria produce b12?
there is any probiotic that include it?

oatz and squats
iron: almonds, tomatoes, apples, seeds, kale, spinach
calcium:almost everything green and seeds

don't know if you are trolling or not, but have you ever saw a real almond?

i LOVE yogurt, and i cant leave it
help

Vitamin b12 is produced by a variety of bacteria, but most fermented food does not use bacteria which produces b12. It can be found in soil, and in abundance in feces. I know of no food which naturally contains it that I would generally be willing to eat.

I'm trying to be vegan, it's hard though. Any resources for vegan recipes that lazy people like myself can make.