Carthage - Rome and Soviet Union - USA historicall parallels

anyone else finds history of Rome and Carthage relationships similar to the US and SU history? especially with murricans larping as romans with their capitol and shiet

both were initially allies, with Rome and Carthage against Pyrrhus, and US and SU against nazis

both after that were in the state of cold war with periodic "hot" moments

Carthage was defeated and got smeared with shit by roman propaganda with bullshit claims like child sacrifices and general degеneracy even tho Carthage art never pictured nakedness and sodomy unlike it's greek counterpart

also funny that some romans were arguing against the destruction of Carthage because they thought Rome needed big constant enemy to not degеnerate and I've seen some of the same arguments in relation to SU destruction

or maybe I'm just biased towards Carthage because even with all the bullshit Livius throws at them I always wanted Carthage and Hannibal to win since I first read his book in childhood

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zDl96IA5lRA
openrevolt.info/2013/02/03/alexander-dugin-the-great-war-of-continents/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=zDl96IA5lRA

On the one hand, I hate the US/Rome comparisons because it's usually the most superficial kind of comparisons, and usually they just follow the Gibbons line of "oh Rome became degenerate and that's why they fell."

There are a lot of good comparisons to make though, particularly in the sort of accumulation processes that drove Roman imperialism.

A better comparison from the ancient world is probably Sparta and Athens.

It's called the Atlantacist Eurasianist paradigm AKA "the Great War of Continents".

Forgot link
openrevolt.info/2013/02/03/alexander-dugin-the-great-war-of-continents/

Nice trips. Interestingly enough, during the Cold War the hardcore anti-communists actually identified with Carthage because it was a trading nation dependent on sea-power some even believe that communism was destined to destroy it but that's another story

Gibbon never said the Roman Empire fell through fun, the closest thing I can think of is that he mentions the declining discipline of the legions.

I remember this being discussed in a /his/ thread yesterday.

All right, so, when it comes to comparisons to antiquity, the clearest parallel is between the US and the late Roman Republic period. In Both cases, we have a dominant empire that isn't officially an empire ruling a series of client states, while being in competition with other, although weaker and generally far away empires.
There are other parallels. In the late Roman Republic, a large problem of unemployment among farm and other laborers existed because of a large influx of (skilled and educated) slaves from recently conquered territories in Greece. The effect is not so different as automation and offshoring has been for the US. In both cases, an extremely wealthy elite has grown completely isolated from the concerns of the proles, vying among themselves for power and money with barely legal means and using foreign adventurism to buffet their domestic reputation. Then, as now, foreign money plays a bog part in the goings on in the republic. Back then kings like Jugurtha gummed up the works with gold, now it's despots like the Sauds and likudniks who do much the same.
And in both cases this has left an opening for rabble-rousers of the leftist variety - Sanders, Corbyn, the Gracchi. And barring them winning out, we will likely eventually get an autocrat as the elite power struggles go out of control, with vulgar jokes like Trump and Pulcher.

I come from an alternate time line where remnants from the Holy Roman Empire actually existed long enough to get country code domain .RM and that's a fucking fact, Jack.

He actually saw Christianity as a revolutionary creed of the underclasses and attributed the rise of Christianity as a primary cause of the decline of the Roman Empire. I love how Deus Veult fags never bring that up in their sparknotes-tier accounting of the fall of the Roman Empire.

meant for:

My nigga. Lindybeige is one of my favorite youtube channels.

how so? both the USA and USSR had traits from both Athens and Sparta

Same here even if Beige is probably Tory or Lib Dem.

Rome ruined Europe and genocided all the cool pagan culture

They were originally pagans tho.

Well paganism isnt the part I really care about I just wish they hadnt imposed mediteranean hegemony on europe

T. Lazy snownigger

fuck the "cool pagan culture" it was dumb as shit like all religion. You're as retarded as a Christian. Even more actually since you're the socially retarded awkward one.

what Rome did was make a slave-society which is shitty as fuck. Thats why Rome sucked, thats why it's good it collapsed.