Daily News Thread 6/20

Otto Warmbier: Trump condemns 'brutal' N Korea as student dies

US President Donald Trump has called North Korea a "brutal regime" after the death of a US student who had been jailed there for more than 15 months.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40337991

‘Risk too high’: Tour agency that sent Otto Warmbier to N. Korea halts trips for Americans

The Chinese travel agency that organized Otto Warmbier’s trip to North Korea has announced it will no longer accept Americans for tours. It comes following the American student’s death after his release from 17 months’ detention in North Korea.
rt.com/usa/393198-warmbier-agency-american-tourists/

Australia halts air strikes in Syria after Russia-US tensions over downed Damascus jet

The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) has suspended flights over Syria after Russia said it halted sky incident prevention interactions with the US as of June 19, due to the coalition’s downing of a Damascus warplane.
rt.com/news/393166-australia-halts-flights-syria/

US jets shoot down ‘Iranian drone’ in Syria - coalition

An Iranian-made drone was shot down by a US F-15 fighter jet in southern Syria, near At Tanf, the US-led coalition said. It is the fifth time in the past month the US has struck at forces allied with the Syrian government in the area.
rt.com/usa/393219-us-aircraft-drone-syria/

Iran launches missile attack against Isis in Syria to avenge Tehran twin attacks

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Sunday (18 June) that it killed "a large number" of Isis militants in Syria's Deir ez-Zor province after it launched several missiles to avenge the recent twin attacks in Tehran on 7 June.
ibtimes.co.uk/iran-fires-missiles-syria-killing-large-number-isis-militants-avenge-tehran-twin-attacks-1626801

Southern Japan hit by 5.0 magnitude quake, no tsunami

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.0 hit southern Japan late on Tuesday but was not likely to cause a tsunami, Japan Meteorological Agency said.
reuters.com/article/us-japan-quake-idUSKBN19B244

Georgia election: Trump faces knife-edge congressional vote

The US state of Georgia holds a congressional election on Tuesday, with the Democrats seeking to deliver their first major blow to Donald Trump's presidency.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40340081

Barclays charged with fraud in Qatar case

Barclays and four former executives have been charged with fraud over their actions in the 2008 financial crisis.
bbc.com/news/business-40338220

70% of Americans think government can protect them from terrorism

Seven in ten Americans have a great deal or fair amount of confidence that the US government can protect them from terrorist attacks, a 15-point increase since the massacre in San Bernardino, California in December 2015, a new Gallup poll found.
rt.com/usa/393143-terrorism-trump-gallup-poll/

Barring sex offenders from social media unconstitutional – Supreme Court

A North Carolina law banning sex offenders from social media sites accessible by children is unconstitutional, the US Supreme Court unanimously ruled.
rt.com/usa/393154-sex-offender-socialmedia-supreme-court/

Bush admin officials can’t be held liable for post-9/11 Muslim profiling & abuse, SCOTUS rules

The US Supreme Court has ruled that high-level officials under former President George W Bush cannot be held personally liable for the treatment of detainees who were rounded up after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.
rt.com/usa/393153-scotus-911-officials-accountable/

DR Congo Kasai conflict: 'Thousands dead' in violence

More than 3,300 people have been killed in the violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo's Kasai region since last October, the Catholic Church says.
bbc.com/news/world-africa-40344115

Texas Is Too Windy and Sunny for Old Energy Companies to Make Money

In a windsurfers’ paradise, turbines capture gusts that pick up at exactly the right time - or the wrong time, if you're trying to sell natural gas.
bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-06-20/texas-is-too-windy-and-sunny-for-old-energy-companies-to-make-money

Man jailed for dangling baby from window in Algeria

A court in Algeria has sentenced a man to two years in prison for dangling his baby out of a window in order to attract "likes" on Facebook.
bbc.com/news/world-africa-40339723

Other urls found in this thread:

rt.com/op-edge/393230-australia-us-syria-airstrike/
counterpunch.org/2017/06/20/mass-incarceration-prison-labor-in-the-united-states/
theatlantic.com/video/index/530826/how-to-fight-superbugs/?utm_source=feed
rt.com/news/393234-eu-encryption-backdoor-proposals/
iqdb.org/?url=https://media.8ch.net/file_store/4ee73add18fd4798a7baf13f54ad20117cd6269e2927e15983a9d199e148b0d8.jpg
sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/china-s-quantum-satellite-achieves-spooky-action-record-distance
theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/20/chelsea-manning-wikileaks-no-impact-us-war-pentagon
bunkermag.org/daily-news-roundup-620/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-20/police-shoot-suspect-as-explosion-rocks-brussels-train-station
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP/ED

More coalition forces could ‘reconsider their participation’ in US-led Syrian gamble

Australians fear they may be collateral victims should Russia and the US clash over Syria; this might drive other coalition members to reconsider, afraid the US may draw them into a conflict, explains Dr. Jamal Wakeem of the Lebanese University in Beirut.
rt.com/op-edge/393230-australia-us-syria-airstrike/

Mass Incarceration, Prison Labor in the United States

The Federal Prison Industries (FPI) under the brand UNICORE operates approximately 52 factories (prisons) across the United States. Prisoners manufacture or assemble a number of products for the US military, homeland security, and federal agencies according to the UNICORE/FPI website. They produce furniture, clothing and circuit boards in addition to providing computer aided design services and call center support for private companies.
counterpunch.org/2017/06/20/mass-incarceration-prison-labor-in-the-united-states/

How to Fight Superbugs

Drug-resistant bacteria is rapidly outpacing the development of new drugs. A 2016 report, The Review on Antimicrobial Resistance, estimates that globally 700,000 people die each year from drug-resistant bacterial infections. Part of the problem is that developing new drugs has become increasingly difficult. That’s why Andrew Roberts, a British bacterial scientist, is returning to a more primitive form of drug research— with a 21st century twist. Roberts started a crowd sourcing campaign to enlist people from all over the world to send him bacteria samples in the hopes of finding new antibiotics.
theatlantic.com/video/index/530826/how-to-fight-superbugs/?utm_source=feed

I think everyone is over blowing these special elections. They're not a good indicator for what 2018 races will be like.

Didn't Australia just announce they would stop participating in airstrikes after the U.S. downed that jet?

You are doing God's work, OP-senpai

TYBNewsAnon2.0

ty based news user.

EU Parliament committee wants massive end-to-end encryption, no more snooping ‘backdoors’

An EU Parliament committee has proposed implementing end-to-end encryption for all digital communications and banning so-called “backdoors” which allow law enforcement guaranteed access to private data.
rt.com/news/393234-eu-encryption-backdoor-proposals/

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
WE MUST STOP THEM

Now we know why the UK wanted to leave the EU so badly

why are we not murdering these people?

Are you illiterate?

I know but still holy fuck learn to read you fucking retards

they want to ban the backdoors, and enforce end-to-end encryption

ffs

GUYS, THIS IS A GOOD THING. READING COMPREHENSION IS A SKILL.

I was trying to imply that the anglos want to leave the EU because they want to keep reading our emails

oh, you're right

the others didn't read though

lel

Source?

Cowards will always fall for this.

iqdb.org/?url=https://media.8ch.net/file_store/4ee73add18fd4798a7baf13f54ad20117cd6269e2927e15983a9d199e148b0d8.jpg
original by kubo (artist)

Big Brother had a mustache wtf

China’s quantum satellite achieves ‘spooky action’ at record distance

sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/china-s-quantum-satellite-achieves-spooky-action-record-distance

theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/20/chelsea-manning-wikileaks-no-impact-us-war-pentagon
Chelsea Manning leaks had no strategic impact on US war efforts, Pentagon finds

Yeees and the UK governments official stance is anti encryption.
was pointing out why Theresa is for brexit as it will allow her to push surveillance methods that the EU would ban

Trump's most recent tweet and the media beating the war drums all day today does not bode well. A ground war with North Korea would be an absolute fucking disaster and Trump is batshit crazy enough to do it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the current understanding of quantum entanglement is that once the particle is interacted with (needed in order to observe it) it settles into one spin but you cannot influence which spin that is and so cannot use entanglement for communication as that would be faster than light communication.

I think the article explains it waaaay better than I ever could

This is what happens when your smartest STEMlords aren't being whisked off by wall street firms to count money for rich assholes. Western tech is basically dead.

Sorry for getting it out so late, but here it is: bunkermag.org/daily-news-roundup-620/

I also added the op-eds and the EU cyber security news. As a heads up for future reference, I can't publish it even if you click pending until you've left the editing page.

Belgium Foils Terror Attack at Brussels Central Train Station

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-20/police-shoot-suspect-as-explosion-rocks-brussels-train-station

Cool, thanks. I thought I was off the editing page but I'll just close the tab entirely next time.

oh boy this shit again
s-see, Russia stronk, we have intimidated the shitposters but not the other member of the big three we're currently border-frotting with! Russia is stronk as flightless bird!
something something TPP something something rally support something something HARP
bueno
oh.
70% of the country we dislike are statist retards, out totally unbiassed poll not fishing for a specific answer shows
great so if I download a pic of an anime girl who looks 35 but the bio says she's 17, I can still access normiebook and nothing else! thank you unelected, unaccountable magistrates truly you are my greatest ally
lol fuck everyone involved with this hard
as per crapsack timeline rules, the Kongo is still a shithole.
something something Michael Jackson
people who write like this need to be gulag'd, the inanity must cease

patrician taste

lolwut, did this thread pass through an Ion Storm and wind up in the non-Mirror universe?

not them but the first one sounds like it's ironic and this theory is supported strokly by the shitposting flag, and both could also be force of habit given the news we're all used to.

giggity

whoops

for

A war with North Korea has literally no downsides. Not only will it liberate the country from the most oppressive, abnoxious regime in human history, but any civilian deaths will basically be euthanasia.

I know you sound optimistic but i don't think North Korea can liberate all of America on it's own.

What you mean besides the nuking of a metropolitan area?

It would be nice with this not being limited on space for you to add short little sections on what you think of each article

i sunno dude, i don't hink nk can liberate the people of america

Wait who is liberating who here?

you have been brainwashed. north korea is not any sort of hell on earth it's just a somewhat poor and authoritarian country

JESUS CHRIST