Prison Thread

Thread for general discussion and sharing news about mass incarceration in America and elsewhere

Yesterday (06/13/17) a federal court struck down FCC-enacted caps on prison phone calls, meaning prison vendors can revert to charging inmates and their families exorbitantly, as before the caps
theverge.com/2017/6/13/15793550/fcc-prison-phone-calls-cap-court-decision

Prison labor is a billion dollar industry
archive.is/z5oDU

Over the last 30 years, at least 37 states have enacted laws permitting the use of convict labor by private enterprise, with an average pay of $0.93 to $4.73 per day.
alternet.org/story/151732/21st-century_slaves:_how_corporations_exploit_prison_labor

cagedbirdmagazine.com/single-post/2017/03/28/50-Companies-Supporting-Modern-American-Slavery

Youth Facilities
Walnut Grove Youth Correctional Facility (Leake County, Mississippi)
motherjones.com/politics/2013/05/america-10-worst-prisons-walnut-grove-youth-correctional-facility-mississippi/

County jails acting as replacements for mental health care
theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/americas-largest-mental-hospital-is-a-jail/395012/
america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2014/7/25/l-a-county-jail-psychiatricward.html

Other urls found in this thread:

prisonlegalnews.org/news/2003/may/15/federal-legal-standards-for-prison-medical-care/
aclu.org/files/images/asset_upload_file690_25743.pdf
imgur.com/a/FxHc9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

'Healthcare often denied, deliberately refused
prisonlegalnews.org/news/2003/may/15/federal-legal-standards-for-prison-medical-care/
aclu.org/files/images/asset_upload_file690_25743.pdf

2017 stats by the Prison Policy Initiative

bump

there are also millions on parole

I want to say the top list before "Territorial Prisons" is lock-up for parole violations

imgur.com/a/FxHc9

Youth Facilities truly are these horrific nightmares invisible to society, and that coming from first hand experience. You're better off doing time in normal adult prison, than those fucked places. I still have nightmares till this day.

Great compilation, although there's some incidents in there where the police were clearly justified, like the kid with highly realistic airshit who breaks off the safety tip to specifically make it look like a real gun and then starts pointing it at people.

Shooting a child is never justified, no matter what sadistic mind games you play, or whatever strange way you tend to dance around reality.

Cool your shitposting

Care to share any of your experiences?

Kill every cop and hang every judge, then tie every last lawyer into faggots and burn them all on a pile of every law book in the country

And that insane attitude is why ISIS is training children to kill. If anyone is threatening me with a deadly weapon, regardless of age or race, they're going to get lit the fuck up.

You're mentally ill.

I said chill your shitposting faggot not crank it up

Can someone remind me why the USA is considered a first world country?

Oh fuck off, Holla Forums. Go back to fellating your orange fascist and cut the D&C bullshit out. This is your last (You).

annil poster are you ok

I'd shoot those kids. They look like they'd be little shits anyway.

It's not about that. Firearms are the ultimate force equalizer. A gun doesn't become any less deadly in the hands of a child, nor more deadly in the hands of a bodybuilder. Yet people may hesitate to shoot a child pointing an AKM at them with their finger on the trigger, while a teenager or adult male is going to get air-holed instantly.

Anyway, for those who want to prevent shit like that from happening in the future, either ban airsoft guns, or limit the arsenal police have access to, to less-lethal only.

But that's the issue, isn't it? A child is waving a toy gun and a cop can say (and be believed 99% of the time) that they were threatened and believed they were in imminent danger

Modern airsoft guns are extremely realistic, and that kid had specifically broken off the orange tip so it would look more realistic. I absolutely agree that cops frequently use the toy gun excuse when they were trigger happy and fucked up, but that does not apply to this specific case.

Take a moment and think about all the most fucked up things you've seen happen in school and amplify it time ten, then ontop of that add an atmosphere of fear, and despair. You had people who were 15, had no parents, were obviously mentally ill, and had no where to go, and where just stuck there indefinitely.

Here's some more airshit that is impossible to differentiate from a real firearm at a glance, especially from a distance. This shit is 100% legal in the US for children to possess, and at some point in the future another kid is going to get killed by a cop for waving around one of these.

Perhaps these companies shouldn't be selling fake weapons that TOTALLY look like real ones at a distance?

damn comrade, I'm sorry you (and all the others) had to go through that

They shouldn't but there's obviously a market demand for it
it's fucked all around

I agree, but my original point was that the story didn't belong in that compilation as the cop was clearly in the right (and that's something you'll almost never hear out of me).

Also, don't parents teach kids to never point a weapon, even toys and pretend weapons at people who aren't in on whatever they're playing?

perhaps kids should be taught to not point replica guns at people, or handle them outside the right context/environment

hello liberal

My mother did, all the way back in the early 90s when she bought me a cap gun revolver. It was black metal with white grips and it actually looked real except for the thin orange plastic tip on the barrel (that I immediately pried off because I thought it looked stupid). She wouldn't even let me leave the house with that thing. Typically the kids that this shit happens to have completely irresponsible parents.

I'd be fine with banning toy guns entirely (no matter how realistic) if it meant we could repeal the NFA and 922r.

Nah, there ain't ever an excuse for a cop to gun down a kid. Better that the cop bites it than a kid.

Even as shit as cities in the US are they aren't in any way equatable to ISIS training child soldiers kys cop sucker

Yeah man FUCK those kids they deserved to be gunned down in cold blood

hello again liberal

People shouldn't make toy guns that can be mistaken for a real one. You can still shoot people with your NERF shit or whatever. Jesus christ, get your head out of your ass.

What the fuck!!! Someone explain this to me!

Automation will probably cause incarceration rates to plummet, since it would be more profitable to use robots as labor instead of enslaved prisoners.

It wouldn't really matter if they banned toy guns or not because kids are getting gunned down regardless, and just about every time I've read of a cop claiming they had a gun or were brandishing one at a pig, it turned out to be bullshit.

Kill all cops.

kill yourself retard

agreed

So do you have an argument or are you just gonna let me keep on thinking the shit I think because you can't refute it?

"In cold blood" specifically infers malicious/cruel intent behind the act. I don't think you can reasonably make that assumption from the Rice shooting. Now with Bryce Masters, absolutely.

Not when the taxpayers are footing 100% of the bill for the prisoners.

prisoners and the unemployed are far more capable of revolution than most comfortable workers in countries like america

my argument was you liberal moron

Why does it have to be mutually exclusive? How about instead of making gunmetal-colored plastic guns, you make them bright orange? You can still have kids running around pretending to shoot each other except nobody's gonna glance over and freak out.

Sure, but then a cop can just say the kid was pointing at the cop. Doesn't make it true, and now the kid is dead

You mean executions?

Not necessarily. They'd still be incarcerated. Private prison industry is growing and simply running the prison (by taking a contract from the state) pays Porky. Profiting from prison labor is just icing on the cakeā€“but they're already getting paid.

We actually have video of the shooting though. The fact that you didn't even know that makes me think you're probably arguing just to argue.

Nah, you can bet on it every time because cops are universally power tripping scumbags. They signal their malicious intent by putting on the uniform.

because free people have a right to buy replicas
"kids" don't buy airsoft guns and use them to play cowboys and indians. it's a hobby/combat sport pursued mainly by older teenagers and adults, played in professional settings. and the notion that someone would mistake kids playing with toys for an actual gunfight is fucking absurd and ridiculous. when kids have been shot when carrying toy guns, it's usually because they were pointing it at someone in a threatening manner in an improper context, carrying it like a concealed weapon, or because the cop was just fucking stupid

no one looks at 2 kids running around and yelling "bang! i got you! you're dead!" and thinks they're seeing something dangerous

One sentence in and you already fucked up. Please try again except don't bring spooks into it next time.

but you want toys and replicas banned for spurious, personal reasons, presumably by the state. you are the spooked one here you moronic liberal

we don't live in an environment conducive to egoistic acquisition of property; "rights" are what we have in this society so that's the terminology i used. my own view is that rights are irrelevant and people should take what they have the will and means to take. your view is that people should be controlled and denied in order to please your spooks

you know nothing about firearms or airsoft. stop talking about things on which you're uninformed. liberal idiot pussy

It sure must be easy to win arguments when you make up your opponent's position instead of reading what they say, isn't it? I never said to ban toy guns. Fuck off, retard, you're just looking for someone to be mad at.

having the state force toys to be made out of orange plastic is the same thing. fuck off retard

No it's not, kill yourself. You're clearly arguing to argue at this point, so take it to someone who gives a fuck.

fuck off retard and take your orange toy guns with you

go fuck yourself

That does not mean you fucking shoot on sight, goddamn. Cops are just low-T donut whores and you know it.

you are an idiot. leave

stop derailing the thread with liberal / bootlicker shitposts

good point. b-bump