Can we talk about the massive threat big data poses to all humanity? This is not even a leftist issue...

Can we talk about the massive threat big data poses to all humanity? This is not even a leftist issue, everyone will be affected by the commodification of private information.

socialcooling.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

lrb.co.uk/v34/n02/slavoj-zizek/the-revolt-of-the-salaried-bourgeoisie
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=E23CE1CB841ADAD390F94C0A99535613
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth
socialcooling.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who /LuddGang/ here?

We should amass our own database of porky. For target practice.

Oh yeah sure. You dish out the millions necessary?

But user, let's do this in cloud service. Their cloud service. :^)

Remember, transumanists want this shit physically in your body.

Zizek has a pretty good critique of "intellectual property."
lrb.co.uk/v34/n02/slavoj-zizek/the-revolt-of-the-salaried-bourgeoisie
I also recommend Peter Frase's book Four Futures: Life After Capitalism which theorizes what a world with strict intellectual property laws would look like.
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=E23CE1CB841ADAD390F94C0A99535613

The best we can do is double down on Roko's Basilisk and accelerate the development of our benevolent AI God, tbqh fam

Absolutely not. No such thing. That's not how it would work out.

I think Zizek is right when he says that issues surrounding data, intellectual property and such are one of the most important of our time.

A lot of ideological baggage surround these issues. I see the potential for data communism.

which would …. what? still allow the state to know everything about you?

I hope so. Otherwise 1983 will be realized not by a totalitarian regime but by a company trying to sell more glittering plastic.

The government can't spy you, if there's no government.

Actually yeah, that's a point: a cooperative cloud system where the private data is not used for any data analysis purposes and is funded by the users having a "£1" share. Could work you know.

Who here can show me where Foucault and Deleuze bring up "social cooling"? Would be very interested to know, thanks

verry funny, Holla Forums
free software is what data communism would look like

well that sounds nice

ok good point, but big data is going to be used to prop up a state

no one cares. and there's no stopping it. our ability to travel internationally is already restricted according to electronic ID; the government knows where you're going, and controls whether you go at all. face recognition software is getting more and more advanced, and cameras are everywhere (look at england for example). the snowden leak exposed that they even scan individual instant messenger conversations for any potential subversion and illegality. they probably read and record this board too

people don't know or don't care that total surveillance and security is the state's ultimate goal, and simply the logical outcome of this kind of technology when it's in the hands of those with the monopoly on violence

if they can identify you, they can control you. your movements, your name, your face, your words, your peers; they want it all, and you can't stop them

It will in the long run. We might go through a few hundred years of teething problems and humanity might go extinct, but ultimately I expect the universe to favor peaceful civilizations. Anyway, it's not like the universe has any purpose anyway. Being killed by a machine doesn't sound so bad.

Bookchin addressed this way back in 1969 (I believe). While the increasing pace of technological innovation creates the revolutionary potential of a new internal contradiction of capitalism, i.e. the contradiction of the way things are with the way things COULD be with our level of technological development (many people are forced to perform jobs that could be easily automated or are essentially useless, serving only to continue the cycle of production and consumption), it also furnishes the state capitalists with new means of repression and particularization of human life. There is no historical necessity for people to rise up against this system, as new technological development could just as easily lead to libertarian municipalism as it could lead to further stratification, further death of people's internal lives, and further objectification and commodification of individuals.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth
This is my bible when it comes to this.
Good luck data-mining when cheap energy is gone and we regress to 19th century living standards.

This is honestly the only thing that broke me out of a spiral dive towards some kind of suicide, the hope that we're going to run out of cheap energy before we can extract resources from space economically, thus ensuring that humanity will die out hundreds of millions of years too soon, but do so as humanity instead of some kind of computer regulated data-mined morass.

I lost all faith that people could be "educated away" from it. If you can't teach them to be socdems (not leftists in general, but the general population for whom being socdem would be an improvement.) when that would have obvious tangible impact, you can forget getting them to worry about this shit. In many ways as individuals they all deserve it, it's only in aggregate…

Yes but only if you stop using liberal buzzwords.

socialcooling.com/
Good lord this website is the worst thing I've ever seen.

stfu anprim

what big data?

Its scary to be sure, especially in the west.