Gamergate

Wondering Holla Forums thoughts about gamergate.

Other urls found in this thread:

verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/
people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-4-scientists-politics-and-religion/
businessinsider.com/charts-show-the-political-bias-of-each-profession-2014-11
slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/11/20/which_industries_are_the_most_liberal_and_most_conservative.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the cesspool of ideology

doomed from the start

GG just turned me more left. It made the difference between liberals and leftists crystal clear.

The whole gamer/nerd culture is right wing

So you thought you were liberal but turned out to actually be left?

idpol+consumer politics+reactionaries= Me unironically wanting a complete ban on video games

I was always against idpol and shit, but I didn't realize how bad most of the "left" media was until I saw them blatantly lying about GG. Then the Democratic primary came along and really hammered it home.

Bazinga.

Yes, Big Bang Theory is shit.

It started well, but burgers think "you can vote with your wallet" and don't want to deal with the fact that capitalism ruins gamez… and then pol took over and it went to hell.

Because they weren't actually journalists.They were bloggers.

Gamers are a bunch of whiney fucking babies that lose their shit as soon as you criticize their precious vidya.

One or two decent issue buried under a mountain of shit.

It made it clear that SJWism is just the PR arm of neoliberalism and has nothing to do with the left, not even basic bitch labour parties.

This tbqh. r/kotakuinaction was a cesspool of ignorance and bitterness and the complete lack of any coherent political theory pushed me to look elsewhere.

It was really kind of a signal that things had changed on the internet though. All discussion of the events surrounding the principal actors that started gg got censored, shadowbanned, or just outright purged. I've been on forums with tinpot dictators that wouldn't tolerate certain things on their webzones, but to just see discussion scoured from the internet's largest discussion boards like that, entirely at one individual's whim, was something new.

All true

Did you read that on Kotaku? Pfft.

Here is my take: There is nerd culture 0 and nerd culture 1. Nerd culture 0 is about the joy of understanding things and using them in surprising ways. NC0 looks at game mechanics below the surface, to git gud, but also just to understand something. NC0 are people who get a feel for the more simple geometry of collision detection when they play a game. People who understand a bit of hardware, people who learned English or even Japanese through games, people who mod games, people who know a bit about repairing and recycling, people who love to tinker, and have an urge to do so even without any particular goal in mind. I cannot give you any guarantee that somebody in NC0 isn't right wing, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

Nerd culture 1 is what mass media tells you: You are a competent, modern, smart person if you buy this thing, and then that thing, now you have to pay this other thing to stay in the loop, blablabla. Now, it isn't that obvious to me how I can get competent at tech by buying an expensive gadget that probably spies on me and I have no idea how to turn that "feature" off, and the official manual won't tell me that either. It should be obvious that there is a conflict between NC0 and NC1. That NC1 marketing works requires that there is some background radiation of NC0 among what the general population believes, else why would you market something as nerdy. But the marketing guys don't want too much NC0, since people getting competent at tech, creating things by themselves, repairing things instead of buying a new thing and so on, is often in conflict with them making the maximum amount of money. You can't be in NC0 and be a big fan of DRM.

I have no time for cultural critics who do a long-ass analysis of some absurd media representation of a group, mistaking this fun-house mirror for the real thing. It's like somebody writing about blacks as if they were all gangster rappers as seen on MTV.

it was alright but sadly gamergate can only go so far with the topic of game journalism

really we need something like gamergate but instead of game journalism it's actual journalism

It had a chance of being a serious movement against publishers who propagate the very circles of game journalist - developer collusion but Holla Forums is retarded as usual and got co-opted by Holla Forums

who the fuck still cares about gamer gate?

An utter failure from conception to execution.

BUT in the hubub it did direct me to Leftypol so I got something out of it at least.

Strangely enough, I don't think I would have ever become a leftist were it not for GG.

Gamergate is Nazbol.

This is premium poasting rn, absolutely top tier

tards throwing a fit over nothing

People still shill against gamergaters?. Isnt that over?.

It's sad to see "gamergaters" on twitter still dragging that dead horse for +3 years.

I was in GG and I don't regret it. Those sjws in New media can go fuck themselves. Idpol is a cancer, I only realized class politics is the only proper alternative

It got what it wanted, it ran it's course.
Now aut-right does not need to pretend, they are liberals or centrists anymore.
GamerGate is why Holla Forums exists.

…Holla Forums comes from /lit/ though?

oh please it's really just a weird combination of /lit/, /r9k/ some frustrated Holla Forumssters some Holla Forumsirgins [spoler] and some people from /int/[/spoiler]

hm

Could have been a chance to see why capitalism is shit but once again, idpol worked as intented and created a false dichotomy diverting from underlying class issues.
From that point i don't know if the reaction of the "journos" (SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING) was either a fuckup or diabolic keikaku compared to their reaction in Doritogate.
I know for some people freedom of speech in bourgeois society is kinda hypocritical (i'm one of them) but that's still something that concern people and makes people victim of censorship sympathetic (also used to be in that case)
As for people thinking, it's videogames, who gives a fuck, that remind me of that old syndicalist complaining that young lefists don't go near foootball stadiums to spread their ideas and instead are going to festivals… and one of the youth responding what's wrong with that…

It may be not the reason of its birth but it's one reason of its growth.
Number of people came to 8ch because of GG, and lots of people came to Holla Forums trough crossposting, attempt at trolling the darn commies and so on.

Video games were a mistake

Last time I checked, the GG thread on Holla Forums still has the same avatarfags and namefags as two years ago.
Shit's like a /vg/ general.

It killed 4chan's Holla Forums by turning every thread into a shouting match about identity politics, so I'm still pretty pissed off about it.

It's true the majority of lolberts and randroids come from this these groups, but it's also an undeniable fact that they're just an embarrassing minority:
verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/
people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-4-scientists-politics-and-religion/
businessinsider.com/charts-show-the-political-bias-of-each-profession-2014-11
slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/11/20/which_industries_are_the_most_liberal_and_most_conservative.html

This. GG (along with a few other incidents like A+) was the shot across the bow of SJWs that leftists and polite centrists weren't going to be their bitches anymore, were willing to fight alongside rightists to destroy them, and arguably kicked off much of what lead to Bernie, Melanchon, Corbyn, etc.. Ever since, SJWs have been wary of each other for infiltration by anti-authoritarians.

I waited YEARS for something like it to happen, the camaraderie on our side, and the absolute ass-devastation on theirs, was glorious.