Thoughts on the Qatar crisis?

What's the real endgame?

Will this pull Qatar closer to Iran?

What does it mean for the Palestinian cause, Al Jazeera and Arab popular struggles, and is Qatar at all preferable to the other Gulf regimes?

Other urls found in this thread:

aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/hackers-leak-emails-uae-ambassador-170603153956229.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw
nydailynews.com/opinion/president-trump-learn-qatar-crisis-article-1.3226065
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3t6NkVcyMA&t=0s
thedailybeast.com/nuclear-pakistan-sees-the-saudi-game-against-qatar-and-iran-and-says-no-thanks
pakistantribe.com/62243/pakistan-send-20000-soldiers-qatar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

iirc Qatar was at the forefront of funding very extreme sunni fighters in Syria. What a weird twist

This "twist" was started by Saudi Arabia, so…your point?

heres hoping iraq war 2 electric boogaloo

aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/hackers-leak-emails-uae-ambassador-170603153956229.html

really makes you think

wouldn't be iraq war three: back to the beginning

I have no idea what's going on but it seems like a very violent and sudden move. I'm thinking the usual Saudi/US imperialism. Maybe Qatar will get bombed and destroyed/turned into one more failed state. Maybe it's a way to progressively isolate Iran before escalating violence with them. It looks like this is not going to stop until Iran is actually bombed and turned in one more USA dicksucker.
Obligatory : youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw

It's a revenge move because Qatar has been too friendly with Iran and the Muslim Brotherhood. The Saudis utilized Trump's visit and speech about "islamic extremism" to use this as an excuse

i mean this is how the gulf war started - the second invasion was just a formality in resuming the war against saddam

Something clearly doesn't add up. The Qataris have recently had a thaw in relations with Iran, and yet they are being accused of being behind the funding of extremist Sunnis, which would obviously be mutually exclusive to cloder ties to Tehran. Unless Qatar is playing 639 dimensional Chinese Checkers of course.

I'm confused. Should I pledge allegiance to Qatar now? Is Qatar anti-imperialist now?

what happens when Saudi invade Qatar

the price of oil goes up, rescuing saudi arabia from its budget crisis

Does that mean Venezuela will be doing ok again and the media will shut up about it completely?

depending on how badly they fuck up qatar then it might get an economic shot in the arm but more realistically in the long term the us will simply increase oil production and drive the price back down again

Maduro should finally go full Stalin and diversify the fucking economy, the dirty busdriver.

The whole thing has me kinda stumped. We all know Qatar and the Saudis both backed a different faction in the great muslim civil war, everybody knows. Populist political islam like the muslim brotherhood (Qatar) v. clerics and dictators (Saudi). They both try to gain as much influence as possible and expand/maintain power for the ruling families. But they don't fight out in the open, only with money.

I just don't get why the Saudi's who sperg out like this, what's suddenly different now?

There is talk that it has to do with Qatari-Iranian gas-diplomacy. That the Saudi's are spooked by the rapprochement of the two over developing Persian Gulf gas fields. Makes some sense - the Saudi's have been behaving extremely paranoid about Iranian influence. They didn't hesitate to send people into Bahrain, and tried to do the same for Yemen. Now that they made the 600 billion arms deal, maybe they fancy themselves a regional hegemon who can just step in with force whenever they even get a whiff of Persian influence. And now that they have the Orange One backing them up, they will feel newly empowered for sure.

They will quickly find out how wrong they are if it actually comes to blows, I think.

wasn't it the ransom deal with iran for the qatari nobles that set this whole thing off?

I haven't heard this yarn yet, what's the word?

i don't have an article on hand considering it was behind a paywall but royal family members were kidnapped in Iraq on a hunting trip by al-qaeda - the qatari's negotiated to exchange some insane sum like 600 mil for their return and the broker was iran

It's weird how Qatar's being simultaneously accused of backing arch-sectarian terrorist groups that massacre Shi'a Muslims and being too friendly with Iran.

I honestly don't know what to make of it, although both the Saudi and Qatari regimes are awful.

The Gulf States thought Qatar wasn't being harsh enough against Iran and they got the green light from Trump because isolating anyone even remotely close to Iran is good for the US and Israel.

In addition, it makes him look good to show how "harsh" on terrorism he's gonna be, unlike the pussy Obama. When, in fact, Qatar is the smallest and least relevant of the Gulf States and probably the least involved (though still heavily involved, obviously) in sponsorship of Sunni terrorism. They are definitely an affordable sacrifice.

Yep.

Though it's just a pretext, obviously. Like the user above you said, Saudi (and the UAE, etc.) have been pissed with Qatar for quite some time because they aren't backing the "right" terrorists.

The best guess I've heard is that Qatar being thrown under the bus as part of Trump's war against the funding of terrorism by Gulf States, as it's not that powerful and it has reasonably close ties with Iran

I love the media narrative, btw.

They pretty much unanimously call it a "crisis". See, it's a crisis when you isolate a Sunni US-aligned sponsor of terrorism because there's competing interests in the bourgeoisie and upper echelons of the US government over the "right" move. But, NO bourgeois or US officials think the Iranian government is good, so it's not a "crisis" when we isolate them.

Seriously, the propaganda's already in full force:

nydailynews.com/opinion/president-trump-learn-qatar-crisis-article-1.3226065

Look how they describe Qatar as Satan himself while completely ignoring its far more powerful (and dangerous) neighbor.

I remember that story. Nobles went to hunt in the swamps or Iraq for a bird already hunted to extinction in Arabia, and were abducted. Serves those reactionary scumbags right.
But Christ alive, how paranoid are the Saudi's? Of course if someone is captured in Southern Iraq you talk to Iran - they mighty well have been in Iran, with all the Shia militia's crawling around there. Ad in to that the utter imbicilty of the US elites pointed out here , and you get a recipe for a dumbfuck shitstorm. They are on the verge of creating either a geopolitical realignment or even a ground war, because that is what propaganda offensives like and are meant to create a buzz for.
Just because they see an Iranian spook around every corner. In an effort to avoid what points out, they stand to create just that.

Al Jazeera is pretty fucking anti-imperialist.

Qatar was who Kerry set up the back channel for the Iran deal through, it's punishment for that.

Frivolous, but I wonder if they lose the World Cup.

Al Jazeera is pro imperialist anti-assad

So then, the role of the peninsula's countries in supporting terrorism around the entire fucking world was becoming too public for comfort, so they threw Qatar under the bus. Is that it?

That's what I think. Plus, Saudi just had a highly successful Trump propaganda visit and are opportunistically using that momentum and support to make a power play.

everyone in the region more or less supported terrorist organizations, Qatar just pushed it to 11 and have been doing so ideologically.
while neighbor countries may have given support to terrorist organizations for political/economical gain, Qatar did it mostly because they agreed ideologically with them.
they want to spread spread radical islam for the sake of it.

Al-Jazeera is pro-Qatar, relatively neutral everyone else

Not really accurate.

Saudi Arabia has long been the home of Wahhabism and they spread it anywhere they can for mostly ideological reasons.

they want to spread spread radical islam for the sake of it.

all of them do. qatar is just being singled out for geopolitical reasons. not because they are more 'evil' than the other petrostate slave theocracies. there are no good guys here except for the proletariat

Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE and Saudi Arabia are all rotten, if I get it right then.

Yemen is a miserable republic getting dicked over by Saudi Arabia, and I'm told Oman's rulers are relatively clean, is that correct? What about Jordan?

They are generally aligned with the wrong type of extremist and pursue an independent foreign policy. Qatar is the main supporter and financier of the Muslim Brotherhood which puts it at odds with Saudi Arabia where the MB wants to overthrow the royal familly and Egypt as well where the MB is the only other rival political entity to the military dictatorship. Qatar is also aligned with Turkey (the ruling party of Turkey is an offshoot of the MB) and they are aligned with and fund Hamas ( another MB offshoot which is part of the reason for their somewhat less hostile stance towards Iran. In the Syrian civil war they and Turkey are the main proponents of the original FSA which was a mix of MB and regime defectors but then both Turkey and Qatar switched to Al-Nusra while the Saudi's are more favourable to Tahrir al Sham the salafists factions but in Syria Turkey, Qatar, and Saudi's are pretty much aligned in a common goal.

In Libya however Qatar is working against Egypt, Egypt supports General Khalifa HAftar with air support and special forces while Qatar supports the islamists and Al-Qaeda they also support the the extremists on the Sinai peninsula against Egypt and in Sudan as well as being cozy with Ethiopia and Uganda which makes them an Enemy of the Egyptian state.

As I said their support for the MB also makes them a pain in the ass for the Saudi's along with Al-JAzeera which always shits on the Saudi Monarchy and portrays them as cucks to Israel and the United States (Qatar is also a cuck) ideologically Qatar claims to be the tru Wahabbi's because their royal family actually descends from Ibn Wahab while the Saudi's are just pretenders and ofcourse there is the economic competition in the sphere of energy between Qatar and the Saudi's. Obama generally favoured the Qatari/MB faction in the arab spring which triggered the Saudi's now Trump signalled that he favours Saudi Arabia so they see it as a carte blanche to solve the Qatari problem which has been a pain in their ass for decades.

How likely is it this eventually lead to any kind of shooting war? I mean, this whole move came out of nowhere after all, gives off a bit of a "all bets are off" in the Persian Gulf/Arabia. And now the Iranians are supplying food and hosting Qatari airliners, causing just the thing the Saudi's hoped to counteract.

Maybe who knows. Solar might no longer be a valuable our to lack of demand in a ten years.

Can't wait for WWIII to finally be triggered over Fake News.

Hopefully Qutar and Saudi Arabia go to war, destroy each other. And there stupid petrodollar wealfair system collapses. Whabism needs to die.

IMO this is the shot across the bow to try and get Qatar to tow the line but if they remain defiant then they'll find some bullshit excuse to lay sanctions on them. I doubt they want to start a shooting conflict while already tangled up in Yemen, especially if Iran is the real target and this Arab NATO bullshit turns out to be the catalyst for invasion.

But I guess we'll see.

If this happens, US/NATO will just install secular puppet governments that do exactly what they tell them and manage the petrodollar (which is what capitalists have wanted in the region the whole time.)

Hardly preferable.

no because costal elites have property there

Very unlikely
At most you'll see some Qatari Prince launch a coup with Saudi support like what happened in the 90s

As this user says, the Saudis are just trying to get the Qatari's back in line like they did to Egypt

They don't care what the government does as long as it does what it is told. A secular government that doesn't fund terrorism and does what it is told is preferable to one that does fund terrorism.

A secular, rational government that does whatever US/Israel tells it to is a lot scarier than a religious, irrational government that only kind of does what US/Israel tells it to.

Fuck you're right all of Europe is literally worse than Saudi Arabia

I don't know what place shat you out, but you have to go back.

They unironically are.

NATO is easily ten times more dangerous than the Saudis. Only an absolute fool could think differently, a complete knave.

dangerous to whom?

Eastern Europe, Africa, and Asia.

So the majority of the world.

Trump and the neocons want war.
The Arabs want oil and land.

It's really that simple I think.

Oil isn't the problem there. The economy took a huge hit before oil prices lowered, back when Maduro took power due to Chávez's bad health.

US has a military base in Qatar and Qatar is tiny.
What's actually going on is the the US effectively does not have a state department to try and control these things anymore and meanwhile the Saudis are crying that Al Jazeera said mean things about them (1/5 the list of demands was whining about Al Jazeera)

imo the saudis are bringing qatar to heel before striking at Iran via Iraq and the "arab nato"

Caspian Report, lads:
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3t6NkVcyMA&t=0s

this

I will agree only with the strongest emphasis on relatively.
Their editorial line is marked, but all in all professional reporting.
At least it's graceful propaganda and useful reporting.

The Mecca is there, and only helps spread the cancer of Wahhabism further.
Your anti capitalist views blind you to religious imperialism.

The '>' symbol is used for quoting (called greentexing here, as chans turn the quoted text green).
In this case, the user is not saying anything, just quoting the other poster (>>1744042).
Quotes used that way are used to deconstruct his discouse, expose it's bare atomic elements, condensing his discourse.
Telling someone back what he just said is used to express bewilderment, disagreement or implying that it is ridiculous.
You should take it as a disagreement, or even mocking, and not as if he was expressing his own views. That poster was actually agreeing with you.

Lurk a bit more to understand chan mechanics.

Pakistan has now aligned with Qatar, Turkey, and Iran

Source?

thedailybeast.com/nuclear-pakistan-sees-the-saudi-game-against-qatar-and-iran-and-says-no-thanks

pakistantribe.com/62243/pakistan-send-20000-soldiers-qatar

Good on Pakistan. Their dallying with the Saudi's might have seemed beneficial back when the SU was in Afghanistan, but it's done nothing but undermine the stability of the nation for the last two decades. Though if they are really serious on making a break, expect the Saudi's to start up a nuclear bomb making program soon.

H A B B E N I N G

It will pull Qatar closer to Turkey.

Along with Saudi Arabia

this entire situation confirms that Trump is a fucking muppet. That nigger went there and started accusing Qatar of funding terroirsm when Tullerson, the state dept and the Pentagon said that this is a bad situation for fighting ISIS praised Qatar and urged restraint and an end to the blockade. I bet Trump and the white house don't get shit in the form of intelligence with every department running it's own foreign policy and not saying shit to Trump in case he fucks something up

Apparently he didn't know the U.S. had soldiers (like 10k) stationed there when he tweeted

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,"the cause" hahahahahahahahahahaha yeah you gotta relocate those middle class arabs into comfy condos in Tel Aviv and give them control of Israel's nukes amirite? We need more Arab computer engineers hahahahaha
They'll be lying snake, anti-imperialist imperialist, notallmuslims (but actually we hate non-muslims), "we're totally not controlled by British influence" just like usual
They'll have to find a new Islamist strong man group to rally around, shit looks bleak
No, they use slave labor to build their skyscrapers and the royal family are as twisted and evil as the Sauds and Rothschilds are. They're some of the most evil people on Earth. If anyone deserves the Qaddafi treatment (poor guy) its them.

I'm in favor of whatever brings the house of Saud closer to the gallows.