Daily News Thread 6/5

Arab powers sever Qatar ties, citing support for militants

The Arab world's strongest powers cut ties with Qatar on Monday over alleged support for Islamists and Iran, re-opening a festering wound just two weeks after U.S. President Donald Trump's demand for Muslim states to fight terrorism.
reuters.com/article/us-gulf-qatar-idUSKBN18W0DQ

Beijing slams US for ‘irresponsible remarks’ on S. China Sea

China has expressed anger at “irresponsible remarks” by US Defense Secretary James Mattis, in which he accused Beijing of disregarding international law and undermining regional stability over its actions in the disputed South China Sea.
rt.com/news/390978-south-china-sea-mattis/

Supreme Court agrees to decide major privacy case on cellphone data

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear a major case on privacy rights in the digital age that will determine whether police officers need warrants to access past cellphone location information kept by wireless carriers.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-mobilephone-idUSKBN18W1RY

Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May clash over security

Jeremy Corbyn has said Theresa May should pay a price in Thursday's general election for ignoring "repeated warnings" not to cut police numbers.
bbc.com/news/election-2017-40154361

U.S. poised to warn U.N. rights forum of possible withdrawal

The United States is expected to signal on Tuesday that it might withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council unless reforms are ushered in including the removal of what it sees as an "anti-Israel bias", diplomats and activists said.
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-un-rights-idUKKBN18W17B?rpc=401&

First Commercial Carbon-Capture Plant Goes Online

Yesterday, the Swiss company Climeworks switched on its first carbon capture plant—a machine designed to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. The company hopes to quickly scale up its technology and capture one percent of the global carbon dioxide produced by burning fossil fuels by 2025, reports Bobby Magill for Climate Central.
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-commercial-carbon-capture-plant-goes-online-180963526/

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-05/why-tiny-qatar-angers-saudi-arabia-and-its-allies-quicktake
consortiumnews.com/2017/06/02/hiding-the-ugly-business-of-torture/
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/06/05/taxh-j05.html
novaramedia.com/2017/06/05/debt-markets-and-pepe-the-reactionary-face-of-lses-student-body/
bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=36131
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP/ED

Why Tiny Qatar Angers Saudi Arabia and Its Allies: QuickTake Q&A

Saudi Arabia and three of its Arab allies cut diplomatic ties with Qatar on Monday, furious with what they see as the tiny emirate’s tolerant attitude toward Iran and Islamist groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood. The moves by the Saudis, Bahrain, the U.A.E. and Egypt came soon after U.S. President Donald Trump visited the region and joined Saudi Arabia in lambasting Iran for sponsoring terrorism from Syria to Yemen.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-05/why-tiny-qatar-angers-saudi-arabia-and-its-allies-quicktake

Hiding the Ugly Business of Torture

A grisly feature of the “war on terror” was America’s descent into torture, but the powers-that-be have decided that the common folk shouldn’t worry their little heads about this ugliness, reports ex-CIA analyst Ray McGovern.
consortiumnews.com/2017/06/02/hiding-the-ugly-business-of-torture/

Study: The ultra-rich hide 25 percent of their wealth in tax havens

A new report by economist Gabriel Zucman argues that global inequality is significantly worse than shown in official estimates because of rampant tax evasion by the financial elite.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/06/05/taxh-j05.html

Debt, Markets, and Pepe: the Reactionary Face of LSE’s Student Body

Thursday 25 May, the third day of United Voices of the World (UVW) cleaners’ indefinite strike at the LSE, and another student walked away from the picket, over acting their disdain: a shaking head, a scowl back.
novaramedia.com/2017/06/05/debt-markets-and-pepe-the-reactionary-face-of-lses-student-body/

Being lectured about the problem by those who created the problem

There are many examples of high profile players in the political arena trying to revise history and reinvent themselves to suit the new climate they are operating in.

bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=36131

lmao what a fucking farce, iran is nothing compared to the scum that are the saudis

thanks comrade newsanon
k-on is shit though

lal salam, newsanon

I was thinking about helping out NewsAnon's threads, but even further: helping to make these threads more efficient, all-inclusive, "crowd-sourced". What this would require is a site with a simple submission form:

This would be a daily submission form and should be linked to in the Leftypol FAQ. Today NewsAnon looks up his own sites, probably gets some links from his friends, then evaluates. What such a site would change is his role (he'd have to browse through submissions) and his sphere of "input" (community sourced links).

OPINIONS?

Can you create such a site? It would take like 20 minutes in PHP, no?

You know, you can get sites listed on google news with a little messing. Obviously you can't plagiarize.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There's an obvious difference b/w google news' recommendation and leftypol community recommendation. Do I have to spell it out to you?

Well I don't know what newsanon's process is or how he even started. The benefits to what you're recommending would be that it might make newsanon's threads easier on him (which depends on how much work he already puts into it), you'd see news he might have missed (people already post their own articles in these threads), and there'd be an easy alternative for someone to replace him if he ever decides to stop making the threads.

So uhhh I guess it's really up to newsanon. I always just saw these as the all-purpose news dump threads.

SPOILER ALERT: burgerclaps to be fucked up the ass by the pigs again
Oh no, China and Iran can't defend burgers' human rights now, whatever shall we do? :^)
wow an article about my parents cool

So basically you want someone to tell you how to get a notification when the news thread appears in the catalog?

Will burgers ever realize that IsraHELL is considered a "flawed democracy" or that sometimes liberal democracies are more flawed than one-party dictatorships? No, they won't.

Your kind is not welcome here. Fuck off.

>The United States is expected to signal on Tuesday that it might withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council unless reforms are ushered in including the removal of what it sees as an "anti-Israel bias", diplomats and activists said.
1488D chess! Fucking _BASED_! MAGA!
t. /Kampfypol/

K-pop and all other such shows are fucking trendy commercial garbage, watch Captain Harlock or Devilman you pedo faggot, and stop using Ruskie propaganda as sources

Can someone give me the runwodn on the Qatar issue? This is mightily important and I only have my old idées fixes.

*K-pop, whatthefuckever

Autocorrect is for niggers holy shit

If k-on is the status symbol of being a "non-normie" then sign me up for a motherfucking facebook account. Same with that pony shit too.

It's the criteria of not having absolutely shit taste.

Put your trip back on Yui

Every day I read news that he missed that I thought were essential. This isn't his mistake – I can't fault anyone for not reading all the shit ~600 ppl read and selecting the best – but is a mistake on the level of organization that could be solved thru a net interface.

Image NewsAnon startin each thread with:

It would make a HUGE difference!

forgot your flag

South China sea is China