What is the Marxist analysis of fidget spinners?

What is the Marxist analysis of fidget spinners?

I see a lot of them claim benefits "for autism/ADHD." Is there some snake-oil style commodification of mental health angle here, or is that just some bullshit throwaway line to help customers justify their consumption choices to themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Something, something pure spineology. *Sniff*

seeing as about 100% of kids seem to have fidget spinners i don't think that matters

and so on and so on *burp*

uhh i dunno. but i do have an anecdote, when i was in juvie we had to do group therapy and we couldnt move around or anything. so every single kid was bouncing their leg up and down like restless leg syndrome or whatever. anyways the point is that its mental illness

were there no fads in the USSR?

Schools don't have recess or PE anymore.

They chain these kids to desks all day so they can drill them hard enough to pass those ridiculous test that would challenge even academics

Maybe there is something to be said about the increase in technology in our lives which has given us shorter attention spans and thus a lot of kids like to have something like this to fuck around with in their hands, instead of sitting still. Other than that it's just a stupid trend.

plausible
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

late capitalist bollocks

C O N S U M E R I S T S H I T

You ever see the tests they have to pass to get a dipoloma?

It's oodles of minutia shit that REQUIRES months of rote memorization. It's not learning, it just memorize 10k different discrete things.

There's no way in hell a person could have a chance of passing unless they dedicated all their time to it like school children do

Where you from? Although I think exams in my country can be shit, this doesn't really sound familiar.

I'm 21 and don't recall any of that, is it a new development? Or are there actually education systems that much worse than burgerland's?

I don't really understand the appeal at all.

I mean even if you're going to fuck with something, why fuck with that when you can fuck with anything else around? That's what I did.

What bothers me is that by next month we're going to have forgotten about them, or only reference them ironically like gangnam style to show we're being "out of date" but ironically to show how self-aware and cool we are. Society needs some fucking ritalin.

t. adhd

fidget spinners are petit-bourgeois consumerist decadence and will be punished with gulag

From Arizona, USA.

I have a gf that's a teacher, the exams now are waaay harder than they were say 10 years ago.

begorrah

I did see a teacher going "yeah they legitimately seem to be helping ADHD kids in my class but when I allowed them EVERYONE brought one in so now I'm actually requiring a diagnosis exist"

At the same time you really don't need fidget spinners SPECIFICALLY, my mom used to give me a few Legos to randomly rearrange to keep me from pulling fuzzballs off blankets.

The proletariat is so far cucked. We are sold, and actively consume a symbol of mass production, this being the spinning cog, continuing only through the enactment of our own labour. The culture industry isn't even trying to hide it, they are taunting us. The alienating nature of low skilled, division of labour work is repackaged as a commodity, as the spinning of a fidget can only be compared to a continual repetitive factory job. Thus, we ourselves become the machine, a part of the whole in the process of production, perfectly indistinguishable, as our actions only reflect that of a machine.

At the risk of irritating unionised psychiatrists, I'm going to risk the mafia sending me to the bottom of the ocean with fidget-spinner shoes and make a diagnosis: The author of that has an autistic spectrum disorder condition as defined in the DSM-IV.

Pretty sure 100% of kids are supposed to have autism/ADHD now

Compulsory education is beyond fucked up to begin with. It' teaches kids to hate learning since they associate it with long painful days of being forced to learn about shit they have no interest in, is often not useful and contradictory anyway

This fidget spinner fad is just an out growth of that.

Imagine if we made adults exercise as much as children do like we make children still completely still as long as adults have to.

tbh i miss compulsory education and the structure that went with it.

Nobody told me that weirdos are on their own after that. If you can't communicate in complete sentences, that's fine we'll stick you in a home or something. Otherwise? Lol you can figure it out, just like be alive.

You spend 14 years being a rebellious little shit and 4 being a lazy little shit, constantly fighting with authority and then they tell you they just don't care anymore. You're an adult now and it's your funeral. Unless you want to go to jail, I mean, but that's more for little shits who stay rebellious and leave at 16.

Could be worse

Sounds like stockholm syndrome to me fam
You miss something that fucks with people like us because it was your only provider of "structure" in this sick, alienated society

Tell me more. Is that something you often worry about?
How does that make you feel?

Pet rocks were never big

Bump for interesting question

What where ther trends and social habits of the many youths in the ussr?

I don't know of any, but there must have been. If only for the joke that runs along the lines of "How do you know that X clothing is out of fashion? They have it in the stores."

They are pieces of metal that spin and look kind of cool….produced by immigrants and exploited labor or some shit.

Murdering Bolsheviks was a fad for some time, but it got kinda played out before Khrushchev

Back in the ADHD-infused halcyon days of my youth, we just spinned pens. Later knives.

It seems to be a way to try to justify the high price they sell for. Im sure it's probably 20 times more than it costs to make. However I do have anxiety and it helps with a way to redirect that nervous energy. I didnt buy mine it was given to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

I have autism and I do not see the appeal in them at all.

Are you talking about high school or college?

Faggot spinners became a thing after some marketers found an expired patent and made it the new pog or something just marketed like hell virally
https ://www.thestreet.com/story/14124208/1/fidget-spinners-a-tale-of-an-expired-patent.html

I didn't realize they existed until all of a sudden they were already everywhere. I feel like an old person, but I'm only 27. Fuckin' kids with their doo-dads.

So fitting, confirms bill hicks

Goddamn capitalism is truly a parody of itself
It's like success amounts to and entirely revolves around successfully navigating the system's fraught, dogmatic logic
Just look at the """innovations""" on Shark Tank

But the question still lies; where are the fidget spinner cock rings?

A thread a Communist Traps got removed but thread about fidget spinners stays up?

yeah, deal with it faggot

Weak trolling, obviously they are because literally everything is trivially part of "the spectacle" and painstakingly demystifying the abstruse, obscurantist language of SoTS reveals an analysis on par with that of The Ego and its Own
Rigorous, open-ended question for serious theoreticians to ponder while playing with hammer and sickle patterned fidget spinners
I see no contradiction tbh

Fuck…
I do that all the time.

It does, though
French theory has some serious problems

the only problems are in your brain

t. faggot who can't understand translated french prose

It has the problem that the French have a higher tendency to hide behind almost incomprehensible sentences, yeah. At least it seems like that sometimes

Dont bother. Its a reactionary tool now.

I don't understand.

the claimed benefits are a shitty justification for the mass marketing or viral marketing of a tiny bit of plastic so that profit can be made. It is literally junk.
fidget spinners are pieces of bullshit, they are literally modern capitalism incarnate.

Yeah. I'm sure there are Frenchmen who've produced worthwhile material, but the language issue is absurd. It's almost like Batesian mimicry, theory can survive more cursory "selection" by concealing its meaning and arguments while dressing itself up like something robust. Especially amongst memes-are-theory fags
That said, I really do appreciate its precise, focused organization/structure, something Stirner could never manage

Cultural marxism is working!

High school, in the US you have to pass this massive test to graduate.

When I graduated I just had to pass my classes individually.

The woman who created the fidget spinner was a single mother suffering from chronic fatigue (or something like that) who invented it to help keep her daughter entertained. She did not have the cash to pay for the patent renewal and the only income she's received off the back of it has been speaking at conventions of inventors. Part of the Marxist analysis is obviously that the intellectual property and patent system is stacked in favour of corporations and actually hinders creativity by perpetuating the immiseration of the independent inventor; also, the use-value inherent in the original fidget spinner as a concrete manifestation of the human bond between mother and child is turned inside out and the fidget spinner becomes a commodity representing (a) the continued mining of children as a consumer market (b) the diagnosis and self-perception of increasing numbers of kids in the West that they are ADHD or on the spectrum and (c) that this kind of mental illness is either in actuality a conditioned response to the capitalist mode of production, or at least is nurtured and exploited by it.

TBH I can't believe that ADD and ADHD, its hyperactive cousin, aren't nurtured by the capitalist condition. You're constantly being bombarded with new bullshit, and I think the tendency for humans to respond to changes in their environment is being warped by having to respond to so much constant stimuli.

But I'm not a doctor or neurologist or whatever, so

Perhaps; I don't have the expertise to say for certain either. For sure the same natural variation in personality and behavior is more likely to be "pathological" in a more deeply contradictory, late-capitalist society. Time was, a limited ability to manipulate people into liking you didn't spell a professional death sentence, and being passionate about things wasn't an implicit declaration of war against society.

Brilliantly said for a filthy Maotist cunt

Weirdly having ADHD (although the severity of the HD has plunged with age and depression while the AD is as strong as ever.) I'd suggest the opposite in some ways. While capital always wants you to be ADHD with new products, fashions, fads, etc, it also wants you to focus on work and your environment on command. That's when any neurological cause for ADHD becomes a problem as opposed to a particularly damaging trait, because you just can't force yourself to go through with the bullshit capital expects of you. Especially because any adaptation in working patterns would (even if revenue neutral) upset the sort of power structure of the enterprise.