Are there any left wing themes in anime?

are there any left wing themes in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

ejumpcut.org/archive/jc51.2009/SpiritedAway/
mod.go.jp/pco/tokyo/tokusetu/tokusetu.html
youtube.com/watch?v=SGM_DIG232s
youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2yHDBaPsk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Squad?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's some anime leftcoms for you, OP.

Almost all anime is left leading.

This more or less.
Expect the GATE, that was pure propaganda.

bullshit

lol this is literally just made up.

here, I can do this too: all real literature is reactionary. Now eat shit you idiot

All real pies are made by John Prescott and a whippet.

ejumpcut.org/archive/jc51.2009/SpiritedAway/

Anime is a cry of help from artists trapped in a very conservative country with shitty working conditions.

You're fucking delusional if you don't see anime as incredibly liberal to fairly liberal 99% of the time.

Kill la kill and TTGL I'd say were pretty left-leaning.

Propaganda how? Like Join-the-military propaganda or what? Haven't watched that yet

1. The japanese army can do no harm
2. The japanese never commited warcrimes, unlike the rest of the world, who are savages
3. The indiscriminate killing of a less technologically advanced people is justified because a small subset of them did something wrong once
4. Slavery is fine unless its japanese citizens
5. If a portal to an entire new planet full of history, sentient species and resources opens up in your country, you are totally justified in keeping it all for your own country and deny anyone else entrance
6. Avoiding a constitutional democratic law of your own country saying that foreign deployment of the army is not allowed, by annexing an entire planet is totally morally sound
7. All major powers in the world will send secret military forces who are all brutes but japan will never do this
8. Join the army, you will meet cute girls

Need I go on?

Also if you want the full japanese war-crime denying experience you should read the manga. The anime is heavily toned down.

All anime is reactionary.

Sounds fucking great.
I don't even watch anime but holy fuck

sign me up boyo

All true tbqh.

Its also got pedophilia 2000 year old gods that look like horny 10 year olds so you can endulge in your every desire, mr nazi.

was supposed to be in italics, excusi.

It's actually really boring and poorly written. But if you just want a mindless jingoistic jizzfest you might like it.

Well what can you expect from Japan tbh

mindless Jingoistic jizzfests are my favourite kind of entertainment

name ONE good anime

Steins;Gate
Spirited Away
Planetes
Theres more

Who cares?
Grow up, fag.

Durarara!!

I hope you're memeing.

Angel's Egg

JoJo

I was only pretending to be retarded.
FUCK

It's not an accident, it's just the shitty plot. It's not propaganda. Think about it right.
It's like you think people watch this and just go "HOLY SHIT I WILL JOIN MILITARY MEN NOW HAHA"
You're as bad as pol

No. Because japan's society is still higly conservative and spiritual compare to other developed societies. which is exactly why japan works you degenerate commie faggot

For the record I do think it helped in bringing in new recruits for the military. It was a fairly popular anime.

Read the manga if you care to see some of the more insidious aspects of the series. US government has been using vidya to get recruits for more than a decade now. The JSDF has been using GATE images on recruitment posters after forming a partnership with the author. mod.go.jp/pco/tokyo/tokusetu/tokusetu.html

Well I doubt it was for the reasons that were listed though, who the fuck joins the military for fun. Plus the military isn't like fiction at all so if I can't see how it would even work and you can get fucking shot, that shit hurts like a bitch what sort of person who watches anime would want that?

Heard the manga was a bit more dark but I didn't know about the recruitment thing though, my bad I guess. Is it actually a propaganda show or do they actually make it logical? I find it unlikely some nerdy kids would watch it and then just decide they want to shoot up some bitches.

Thats an understatement. Read it yourself.

Well, the author was in the JSDF and I think he saw it as a chance at propagandizing.
I doubt it will do a whole lot for recruitment alone, but it is being done alongside other recruitment efforts.

I watched it, it is all true.

Stargate did it better tbh.

What a coincidence that Takumi Yanai was part of the JSDF when younger.

“We evolve, beyond the person that we were a minute before. Little by little, we advance with each turn. That's how a drill works!”
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!

If you want an alternate world anime filled with legal lolis and cute elf waifus, Outbreak Company is the only way!

Yeah, Outbreak Company was better. I don't understand how they fucked up an anime about a modern military invading a fantasy world. Sounds like it would be fun.

Part of it is also that the protag is a total loser. He's a 33yo 2LT. That's fucking pathetic, but this Gate bullshit turns him into a hero, because really his potential has always been hidden. That's the subtle catch. Now, I will admit that military service can bring out good things in you, but you have to want to do that first. Military service is just a lazy way to push yourself. Anyone that ever accomplished anything within the military already had the drive to do it in the civilian world. They just want ota losers to become cannon fodder for the future. These guys won't ever become badasses, but you can serve by being in a box too.

Isn't he a special force troop or something? He knifes a dude in the frist episode IIRC

He's supposed to have been the JP equivalent of ranger school graduate or some shit, but he's only in the SF garrison. He's not actually a special forces soldier. Either way, he's meant to be painted as a loser otaku that has "hidden potential", just like every asshole otaku faggot thinks of themselves. It's a pathetic mode of thinking, and one very easily susceptible to suggestion. There are lots of guy like that in the military. They get into it because they think the military will change them, but it really won't. If you can't handle your life outside the military you won't in the military either. At most you'll be competent at your job and hold the slot until it's time to leave.

You best not be talking shit son

most anime isn't political and when it is its liberal or soc dem or straight up fascist/nationalist reactionary. Liberal has nothing to do with Leftism, nothing whatsoever. Leftism is concerned with removing the dominion of Capital and the ruling classes. I can think of maybe 2 anime which are related to this idea.

Jojo is explicitly a-political and has nothing to do with leftism or any kind of leftist aesthetic. The first 2 seasons are replete with scenes honoring master morality, warrior culture, battle pride etc. Which are probably the most chauvinistic values a person could exude. It becomes more homosexual over time, the themes that is, but the show isn't leftist. Its right of center with weird homo-fascist undertones. Blatant pop-culture worship is also extremely common in anime and its especially a problem in JJBA. You guys are blind as bats

He didn't say it had to do with leftism. Just that it's a good anime. I don't really agree, but it isn't bad.

I find it impressive that your Nazi march photo depicts them in civilian clothing but carrying guns and wearing the Nazi armband.

Is that the Guestapo? Am I missing an important group in history?

I would also like to see the full clip of the civilian Nazi's by OP.

Found it- youtube.com/watch?v=SGM_DIG232s

Volkssturm, a militia movement formed when the Red Army was rolling in.

wait, that's just the beerhall putsch then?

Best leftis anime in order:
Serial Experiments Lain
NGE
All Satoshi Kon's works
Akira
Madoka Magica
Kaiji
Kaiba
Haibane Renmei
TTGL
Gintama
Shinsekai Yori
FLCL
One Outs! Nobody can win, but I!
Welcome to the NHK
The Tatami Galaxy
Utena
GTO
Maison Ikkoku

Could you expound upon what aspects of NGE you find to be leftist? Not saying you're wrong, just hadn't considered the show from that context before.

I know it's not leftist. But nonetheless I absolutely love it. Do you exclusively consume entertainment that reinforces your political views? Because that sounds really boring.

That's part of why I love it.

The dream reality of shinji gets shattered when he realizes the reality of life (as in the life of others outside himself) and becomes aware of the material reality around himself, finally free from all ideology

the creators of kaiba also made tatami galaxy that's really good too

HOTD is actually a critique of ideology, but all you see is boobs.

RIP

They had a fucking valid point…

Well, the OP was asking about anime, not manga.

This anime is pretty much what the Japanese did in China, but with less rape

I'd love a manga thread tbh

I'm trying to get with this girl who is really into anime and has agreed to get me watching it. Could someone please give me some entry-level normie-tier anime movies (preferably movies rather than series) with some leftists elements/themes in?
I haven't watched much anime and I'm kind of disturbed by some of it, so nothing too weird. Also she is really into the cute shit made by Studio Ghibli.
We've already watched Akira and Pom Poko (amongst others) which I found had some really interesting semi-covert and ancillary political tones.

Not a movie but I'm watching Kaiji rn and it's leftist to the nth degree. Like it's pretty much thinly veiled communist propaganda.

Literally every episode is about how porky and money are evil and basically the working class needs to unite.

Would actually be better with more rape. GATE should have been a hentai ova.

see almost all Ghibli movies have leftist elements so you can't go wrong there.
Gurren Lagann's central theme is probably the most radical leftist thing in anime even though its universe operates completely on idealism and not materialism.
Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex also has several leftist themes. Every corporation is corrupt and tyrannical and the nationalist government fucks the poor.

What episode was this? I need to rewatch it, totally missed the left wing theme at the time.

GATE, made by the most industrial anime corp, A1 pictures, is japanese propaganda for young otakoz and NEETs to join the army, "where they'll meet qt grills and see new worlds, while helping the inocent and avenging their homeland".

Also, notice how the US and so on are all evil and want to harm Japan.

Another, less obvious, A1 pictures example is the classcuckery of Working!

The workers are the true owners of the bussiness, even if they are still workers and get paid as workers, the boss is an idiot and the manager may not be doing anything, but she knows what has to be done so don't question your superiors.

You're a pathetic retard. You can talk to somebody about politics without having to watch shitty animated propaganda about it, don't waste this girl's time by using a movie as a pretext to talk about Marx, it will be obnoxious.

This. Instead you should get into magical girl anime and abandon 3d entirely.

That's not my intention; I just like watching a movie with some sort of covert and ancillary meaning behind it.
That's is why I liked watching Pom Poko; it was fun and cute but I also liked noting all the nods to Japanese environmental activism. I can see how it came off like I was trying to use it as a pretext to force politics onto someone but that is simply not what I intend to do.

Most animuz are 12-24 episodes series.
Limiting yourself to movies is counter productive.
Watch Planetes.

Do you understand how stupid this makes you look?

It's an episode from One Punch Man, actually. Episode 4 of season 1, to be specific. The "leftcoms" in question are a group of militant activists the government labels as terrorists, known as the Paradisers, led by Hammerhead. Their mission is to forcibly put an end to working altogether.

The theme is hardly left-wing, unless satirizing the laziness of leftcoms; or, if it's from a right-wing point of view, blanketing the entire left in that very same vein. Go ahead and check it out if you want, user, but don't expect too much from it other than what I just said.

They came across more as angry NEETs than actual leftists. I don't even know why you would call them leftcoms.

Interesting analysis. I don't know that I necessarily agree that this would constitute something that is either politically right or left, but it is certainly an acknowledgement of the messy realities of other people and the world around him.

I guess if I were to put it differently, Shinji at the very end of End of Evangelion, is free from the ideology of the other - I think it would be easier to make the case that he invents or discovers, or maybe just finally accepts his own way of being. The world around him is literally transformed by his own ideological awakening, after all.

I do still wonder however why Shinji would strangle Auska at the End of Evangelion after she re-emerges from the LCL. I mean I get that NGE likes to do the scene repetition thing and there is a point where Shinji is hallucinating where he is strangling Asuka, but that final scene has always been hard for me to square.

If you intended that picture to be OC you need to put in more effort, chap.

Cause the want to do nothing.

It wasn't my original intent, but since you mentioned it, here's a Garrison-tier rendition of the original.

Hegelian Anime:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2yHDBaPsk

hahah NGE so deep Cx

they need cryptocurrency and NEETbux tbh

enlighten us anons

lol what

Opinions on this?

Compared to most media it actually is.

Is Darwin's Game left wing?

Virtually all anime is made for kids and tweens. There isnt really any deep meanings or symbolisms here. Just simple plot lines for kids and cartoon boobs for the tweens

Not even close to true. The demographic they're targeting is getting older if anything. Just look at all the late night anime coming out each season.

Pretending to be this dumb on an imageboard that hosts gigs of explicit anime content.

First of all I'll say that post was mainly trying to copy zizek analysis and the "left wing anime list" was a ploy to get (you)s. I don't think it's necessarily left wing but his realization of the material reality around him is very real imho. Shinji after he gets absorbed in the human soup gets "what he always wanted"(true connection to a human being) but that makes him realize that the people who live around him are just as him, and in the end he decides to affirm his individuality.
The last scene is strange for me too (and I need a rewatch tbh), for me it's that asuka represented for shinji the monolithic entity of the judging and punishing other, worse than his father because she's a grill who constantly belittled him. In the final scene he almost "finds himself" strangling her, but he then finally realizes the experience of LCL and is horrified by what he does and asuka says that it's disgusting imho referred to the LCL human soup

made me giggle

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Squad?wprov=sfla1

It really portrays being in the military as very easy going and casual. The main character is a lazy otaku and simultaneously a genius ranger.

Iirc the jsdf invades fantasy land, immediately sets up a fortress, and makes no attempt to parlay with the two five-hundred-thousand man armies sent against it. It's implied that the vast majority of which are killed because they literally march in formation against machine gun emplacements and artillery barrages.

So the jsdf kills almost a million people and no one is at all upset or even questions the necessity of doing so against obviously tech inferior peoples. Mostly they just complain about being called into active duty and want to go back to whatever meaningless consumer pursuits they were occupied with before, like the main character, who's upset that his anime convention was interrupted.

Thats completely wrong you blithering retard.Do you just have imagine shit in your head then get convinced its reality?
Almost all anime is aimed at teenagers and adults, or both.

"I cant read japanese but this picture implies the existence of anime aimed at children and warmer colors mean MORE so therfore anime is for children"
Thats not what that picture illustrates, user.

I'm fairly certain that box is for Pretty Cure which everyone considers a kid's show even if it has an adult male demographic. Look at a list of airing anime so you can see how much of it is specifically targeting adults.

Anime is just propaganda. Imperial Japan created it just in case they ever lost.