Al Raqqa

When will the YPG liberate Al Raqqa?

before 2018

Soon.

Anyone's guess, they said they would begin the direct offensive at the beginning of April.
Perhaps they'll be within the city itself come August, and maybe finish with it a month or 2 after.

Not for a while. Need heavy weapons & minesweeper kit to get through the huge swath of fortifications ISIS have laid down.

At the moment the YPG/J have to rely on young women & kids to disarm mines. It's slow going.

They’ll prone try to besiege it first. AlsoRussia and US bombing Al Raqqa would be a massive help.

They need more volunteers.

About 6 months from now

Volunteers (ex-military ones especially) are important.

Seems to be the quality of folk going over and signing up is improving of late, rather than the addicts and psychos they got in the first few years.

Well addicts and psychos as volunteers is good for manpower, which the YPG is low on.

So much oil and gas look at that. Maybe they'll try to stop the SAA from getting more oil and gas fields instead of going all on ISIS

A real life nazbol gang.

You really don't want either in an armed group.

These were banned due to the cannibal incident.

didn't the YPG have to send loads of the people who came over in the first wave home?

Wouldn’t getting the agricultural land be better for GDP, because oil demand is falling globaly?

Were more common then you think

Why? That makes no sense because there low on manpower.

What do you think will happen to the government-YPG alliance post-isis?

Rojava and SAA should sign an alliance tbh with mutually agreed upon borders.

They were causing problems within units, such as refusing to follow orders and committing crimes. A Few started eating the hearts of dead ISIS soldiers. At that point you have to question if it's really worth it.

It might stick around as long as the rebels do, but it definitely won't last.

Because the combat utility of someone who's addicted to heroin is somewhere below zero.

You also want people who can abide by military discipline, not spend their time cannibalizing corpses.

Federalism, Independence or Collition Government. Russia want’s to have them have good relations, and both be pro-Russia.

Oh, they eat ISIS members hearts. Holy shit, that’s insane.

Apparently the cannibal was a really nice guy too, he'd just been fighting for around three years and went crazy.

After the rebels have been dealt with Assad will regroup, give temporary concessions to Rojava, and build up the SAA again to retake the region.

It's much easier to make money on the short term with oil though. And recent gains seem to indicate that they'll go for the oil fields.

I've heard before that they really don't care about being independent because they have enemies and threats on pretty much all sides and they'd prefer full autoomy while still being a part of Syria because that'd grant them a lot of protection while making Assad happy and they'd be independent without really being independent from Syria. Every side wins with this tbh, Assad gets to retake "every inch of Syria" like he wants to do and Rojava becomes pretty much independent while being protected by Syria. But I heard this a while ago. Now with the americans on scene and the amount of land they're taking they might have other ambitions.

What? How can I have missed this? I only heard about that one ISIS guy.

Well how much autonomy will they get, will they keep democratic confedralism. Yes, America won’t like it, however everyone knows that America will turn of Rojava once the war is over.

Unfortunately Russia's peace proposals for Rojava are nothing more than cultural autonomy for Kurds alone which is nothing like democratic confedralism. I hope they come around and realise what TEV-DEM really want.

That pretty much depends on how many people they can recruit and how much land they take. Also, a lot of land the SDF has is arab land not kurdish land. And they might run into some trouble keeping the arab land after ISIS is wiped out. They will have to negotiate after ISIS is wiped out and I'm pretty sure the SAA won't go to war with the SDF any time soon.

It's infuriating too, because Russia should hand Rojava over to the Kurds on a plate and compensate Assad with something of their choosing for the hassle. Kurdistan existing allows Russia to finally start nibbling at the Turks, which should be a far bigger concern than Iran staying complete.

*Syria staying complete/whole
Slightly drunk, my bad

That might not be the best strategy, an independent Kurdistan would put Russia on bad terms with Syria, Iraq, Iran and Turkey because the kurds have claims in all these countries.

Yes, but of these countries only Syria is a good ally, you're essentially swapping out some shaky neighbours and a belligerent NATO asshole (Turkey) for a loyal Kurdistan.

Hopefuly the SDF gains a lot of land, and they rejoin Assad, however he has to make all of Syria Democratic Confedralist.

Can’t Russia give aid to the PKK, but not the Iranian Kurds.

Or maybe Russia could just advocate for a confederalist Syria that doesn't anger Iran and Iraq, rebuild a non-sectarian Syria that can actually stand up to Turkey and not have Assad fucked up his reform policies that would require Russia to bail them out.
But apparently just allowing the Kurds to teach their language at school is all Russia is bargaining for.

Ideally the SAA and the SDF will win, Syria will be reorganized based on DemConFed and Communalism, and Assad will step down. Literally everybody wins here, except Assad, but only because he's no longer President after 17 years/

The PKK and the PJAK are very closely tied. Giving aid to the PKK would also heavily aid the PJAK.
Have in mind that Iran and Turkey often cooperate against KCK groups.

Syria can be democratic confedralist. Assad can become a king with no power like in England, or leader of the Baathist party, which will participate in democratic confedralist elections.

Assad isn't necessarily the problem here you need to realise, the problem is what Assad represents; the Alawite oligarchy that dominate the Ba'athist party is what the core of the issue really is.
When people say they want Assad to step down; they really mean they no longer want the Ba'athist party in power.

kek

this must be a shitpost, but please, continue….

There was a psycho guy who gnawed at some foot lying around or something. Story is pretty confirmed. He got send home soon after that.

LOL, i have readed about that
i don't think is that bad, i mean, in a war, human bodies are free
and you need protein to get big and strong