Bill Nye now likes philosophy

Bill Nye, the science guy, says I convinced him that philosophy is not just a load of self-indulgent crap
qz.com/960303/bill-nye-on-philosophy-the-science-guy-says-he-has-changed-his-mind/

It’s a big turnaround for Nye, who last year dismissed philosophy as useless and misguided. That prompted a strong backlash, including a piece that I wrote: “Why are so many smart people such idiots about philosophy?”

“Thank you for writing that critical article,” Nye told me on the phone this week. “It really led to something.” Nye said my article convinced him to reconsider the evidence and start reading philosophy. “I couldn’t sleep for months,” he said.

(…)

Ultimately, Nye is now convinced that philosophy is a pure form of critical thinking and would like “everybody in the world” to have a philosophical outlook.

There is hope in the world after all.

Makes me wonder when he will read Marx?

Good shit

Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson are just liberal and more palatable versions of Sam Harris and other euphoric Noo Atheists. literally who cares

Bill Nye is an actual scientist unlike Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I think it's kind of a big deal that Bill Nye decided philosophy is actually a good thing because it'll make many of the people that agreed with his former views to reconsider.

Apropos of nothing my parents used to play volleyball against him

Sam Harris wouldn't have the decency to openly admit he was wrong and change his mind.

That's actually pretty cool.

I'd say Niel is more of a scientist than Bill, considering Niel is a published astrophysicist

Did you mean to put things the other way around? Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an actual scientist, whereas Bill Nye is simply a science educator.

Turns out Bill was swayed by evidence. Who would have thought a science guy could be capable of such a feat.

Nice.

Tyson has done work as an astrophysicist. Bill Nye's degree isn't even in science, but engineering. Nye is far superior to Tyson though. Nye spoke to kids and instilled a sense of wonder in exploring the way the world works. Tyson sells euphoric edgelords on a smug sense of superiority.

Was he good at it, nega-Satan?

Nye and Tyson are pretty big public figures, they have a lot of influence.

Let's hope Tyson starts reading philosophy too, because, Sweet Jesus, he needs it.

I'm so used to people never admitting they are wrong, this is a pleasant surprise.

Of all the neo-"scientists" Bill Nye is the only one I liked anyway

cringy as fuck

I grew up watching Tyson on NOVA with my family >:^(
He's at least part of the reason why I've always been into STEM in general and am now going into a CS major and mathematics minor.

hes fine user, just with a few poor views.

Everyone can be reformed. Mao was right.

and 1000 sperglords swooned

Oh dear Lord, I had forgotten about that. It was a historical event in the world of cringe comedy.

I'm pretty sure Dawkins said he respects philosophy.