Daily News Thread 4/15

Kim Jong Un Shows Off North Korea Missiles as World on Edge

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversaw an elaborate military parade in the center of Pyongyang on Saturday as the world watched for any provocations that risk sparking a conflict with the U.S.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-04-15/kim-jong-un-shows-off-north-korea-s-missiles-as-world-on-edge

Huge bomb kills dozens of evacuees in Syria

A huge car bomb has blasted a convoy of coaches carrying evacuees from government-held towns in Syria, killing at least 39 people, state media report.
bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39609288

Russia Says Syria Invited Chemical Weapons Experts to Idlib

Russia called for international inspectors to visit Idlib, where the U.S. accused Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad of carrying out a deadly chemical weapons attack against his own citizens.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-04-15/russia-says-syria-invited-chemical-weapons-experts-to-idlib

Turkey referendum: Final campaigning ahead of landmark vote

The final day of campaigning is taking place in Turkey ahead of a referendum on whether to grant sweeping new powers to the president.
bbc.com/news/world-europe-39607962

Hackers expose NSA financial spying arsenal, global banking system potentially at risk

Hacking group Shadow Brokers has released a data dump allegedly stolen from the NSA that details the agency’s ability to hack international banks, as well as the SWIFT network, via Windows PCs and servers used in global financial transfers.
rt.com/news/384796-hackers-expose-nsa-financial-spying/

Stampede injures 16 after hysteria erupts at NYC's Penn Station over false gunshot reports

Massive crowds fled Penn Station Friday, resulting in a panicked stampede after Amtrak police used a Taser to subdue a suspect which terrified commuters mistook for a gunshot. Rumors of a shooter quickly spread, prompting the evacuation of Macy’s across the street.
rt.com/usa/384820-penn-station-stmpede/

IS death toll hits 90 from huge US bomb in Afghanistan

Afghan authorities Saturday reported a jump in fatalities from the American military's largest non-nuclear bomb, declaring some 90 Islamic State fighters dead, as US-led ground forces sought to advance on their mountain hideouts.
afp.com/en/news/23/death-toll-hits-90-huge-us-bomb-afghanistan

Pharmaceutical giant 'plotted to destroy cancer drugs to drive prices up 4,000%'

Leaked internal emails appear to show employees at one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies calling for “celebration” over price hikes of cancer drugs, an investigation has revealed.
independent.co.uk/news/health/drug-giant-aspen-plot-destroy-cancer-medicine-big-pharma-times-investigation-a7683521.html

Philippine's drug arrests prison bursting at the seams

The Quezon City jail in the Philippines is jammed with suspected drug offenders who have been imprisoned under President Rodrigo Duterte's so-called drug war.
cbc.ca/news/world/quezon-city-philippines-jail-video-1.4071434

One broadband choice counts as “competition” in new FCC proposal

A Federal Communications Commission plan to eliminate price caps in much of the business broadband market uses a new test for determining whether customers benefit from competition.
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/one-broadband-choice-counts-as-competition-in-new-fcc-proposal/

Major Leak Suggests NSA Was Deep in Middle East Banking System

For eight months, the hacker group known as Shadow Brokers has trickled out an intermittent drip of highly classified NSA data. Now, just when it seemed like that trove of secrets might be exhausted, the group has spilled a new batch.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/04/as-turkey-gears-up-to-vote-its-traitors-speak-out/523098/?utm_source=feed
rt.com/op-edge/384865-mother-bomb-trump-us/
rt.com/op-edge/384780-friedman-nyt-isis-support-us/
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/04/15/pers-a15.html
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/04/15/fina-a15.html
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/04/15/hack-a15.html
theintercept.com/2017/04/14/leaked-nsa-malware-threatens-windows-users-around-the-world/
boingboing.net/2017/04/14/congressperson-admits-he-only.html
theonion.com/blogpost/hi-in-the-past-2-years-you-have-allowed-me-to-kill-31805
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP/ED

As Turkey Gears Up to Vote, Its 'Traitors' Speak Out

In Turkey, a national trauma has turned into a never-ending nightmare for hundreds of thousands of citizens.
theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/04/as-turkey-gears-up-to-vote-its-traitors-speak-out/523098/?utm_source=feed

‘Generals having grand time’ testing weapons as Trump tries to placate critics

America’s top military commanders at the Pentagon are having a grand time now, as Trump tries to win them over with a blank check to test all the weapons they have wanted, but been unable, to use in the past, Brian Becker of the Answer Coalition told RT.
rt.com/op-edge/384865-mother-bomb-trump-us/

"US should use ISIS as a proxy" - New plan for Syria published in New York Times

Thomas Friedman appears to become aroused by the prospect of war. It’d be more appropriate for The New York Times to let him manage this affliction from the safety of his private space than on the pages of the newspaper. Especially when the Pulitzer Prize winner is calling for America to effectively ally itself with ISIS in Syria.
rt.com/op-edge/384780-friedman-nyt-isis-support-us/

Media, political establishment treat dropping of biggest bomb since Hiroshima as nonevent

The first-ever use in combat of the most destructive nonnuclear weapon in the US arsenal evoked no significant protest from either the media or the political establishment in the US and Europe.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/04/15/pers-a15.html

The domination of finance capital: Who rules the world?

There is no meaningful distinction between industrial and finance capital because, in the end, all capital is finance capital, an important study has found.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/04/15/fina-a15.html

Whistleblower uncovers London police hacking of journalists and protestors

The existence of a secretive unit acting illegally within the Metropolitan Police raises fundamental issues of democratic rights that have not been broached by the media.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/04/15/hack-a15.html

Leaked NSA Malware Threatens Windows Users Around the World
The ShadowBrokers, an entity previously confirmed by The Intercept to have leaked authentic malware used by the NSA to attack computers around the world, today released another cache of what appears to be extremely potent (and previously unknown) software capable of breaking into systems running Windows. The software could give nearly anyone with sufficient technical knowledge the ability to wreak havoc on millions of Microsoft users.
theintercept.com/2017/04/14/leaked-nsa-malware-threatens-windows-users-around-the-world/

Congressperson admits he only works for himself

Oklahoma GOP congressperson Markwayne Mullin demonstrated that he has absolutely no clue how our government works. In belligerent statements, where he swore at his constituents, Mullin claims that having once paid taxes he is somehow exempt from having to represent the people in his district.
boingboing.net/2017/04/14/congressperson-admits-he-only.html

Big pharma is the ultimate plague on the Earth

That article was actually retardation incarnate. I'll never know how the NYT allowed that one to be posted.

Mr. Robot incoming?? I can only imagine

also didn't include but

Do you think this will affect our ShareBlue/CorrectTheRecord checks guys?

It's like a nightmare come true

Somehow I KNEW the third article was going to be from RT before I even saw the URL.

So this is the power of democracy. Impressive.

aka everything friedman writes. he's a real piece of shit
because they're shills for concentrated power and the ruling establishment. absolute slime, friedman especially. no gulag for him; just a bullet

I almost look forward to dying in a nuclear war just to see Saudi Arabia and Turkey get cleansed.

Par the course for Midwest.

He'll be re-elected in a landslide.

but what about the muslimettes with the phat asses????

The story behind this is like a satire on modern American life:

It's got everything. Collapsing infrastructure, trigger happy cops arresting a guy for "disobeying orders at Penn Station", hysteria about terrorism,

Those are Erdogan and The Saudi royal family's asses.

Who knew despotic rulers could be so T H I C C

NASDAQ already was hacked in the past
stock exchanges interruptions are the best illustration of the butterfly effect
some squirrel chewing through power cable, minor bug in software, and millions lost, workers laid off, etc.

I'll show you retardation incarnate:
theonion.com/blogpost/hi-in-the-past-2-years-you-have-allowed-me-to-kill-31805

Absolute madman

I like that, as though it's Kim ratcheting up tensions, when they've bombed out occupied zero foreign countries, while the US is throwing bombs at anything that moves on the sand and just detonated the world's biggest conventional bomb.

Not even an NK supporter. Everything is just some fucked up Kafkaesque nightmare.

I don't remember this scene

The cattle are awfully jumpy lately. Something must have them spooked.

It was toward the end of the series.

Jesus, this has gotta be some 5th dimensional post ironic irony right?
Is the onion always like this? I guess I only hear about the funny cherry picked articles, I don't usually go on the site.

they will be the true casualties but there is nothing we can do, unless you want to save some of them yourself.

It happened in one of the last two episodes where Shinji goes through a series of alternate realities in his non-mind as he undergoes instrumentality. One of them is a slice of life anime reality where Rei is a dopey klutzy tomboy and Asuka is one of Shinji's childhood best friends, and his mom and dad are still alive and they make sex puns at the breakfast table.