Millennial and stay-at-home-wives

Giving the TL;DR first: According to new research, many millennials instead of being ultra woke might be actually turning back to the traditional family and a "male breadwinner, female housewife" dynamic - at least when compared to older generations. The author attributes this to economic uncertainty and lack of public initiatives that help family upbringing, and compares it with European countries these those tend to be available and, as consequence, the stay-at-home mom is something of the past.

nytimes.com/2017/03/31/opinion/sunday/do-millennial-men-want-stay-at-home-wives.html?_r=0

IMO things like that are important for us to discuss, because they're a perfect microcosm of why materialism is more important than other approaches. You can teach people to be woke and progressive as you want, but in the end if those new values do not resonate with their material means of life, they will eventually discard it and go full circle towards older, more traditional models and views.

Women's liberation is not, as it is for liberals, the outcome of people gradually reasoning and talking their way out of sexism, but the consequence of certain economic and institutional arrangement (not coincidently linked historically to the Left) who gave working people enough material comfort to rethink traditional values and present them with new paths through public initiative. Once you discard those because being woke and being diverse is more important, they will go away (because capitalism is always ready to devour whatever right or benefit you're not keeping an eye on) and then the entire edifice crumbles. The economic approach should be standard to all identity politics, otherwise we're just wanting time.

Here's a few important bits:

And of course, instead of grasping the material origins of ideas libs think it's about culture wars

There's literally nothing wrong with being a housewife. Why does this trigger bohemians so much?

hot

test

I'm honestly surprised any millennial couples can afford to pay the bills with one of them not working, much less support a family on today's meager earnings and massive college debt. It's also doubly nonsensical as women are the majority of college students and are more likely to have college debt, so you'd think the educated worker would be the one with the more earning power and more likely to be the breadwinner.

This, it's probably just fake nostalgia for a time where everything wasn't so shitty, and I say this as a married man

Before the hack I was going to respond to this and state that the academic journal credited as source doesn't state the sample size or the location and it seems biased, so I would take it with a grain of salt

They interviewed high schoolers. They are dick in ear retarded.

this
i am a housewife (male)

You're a nazbol, it'd be a surprise if you weren't male.

It's probably what they want, not what they can have given material conditions.

My little brother is the same way. These kids literally get these views from memes about Tumblr and social justice, and their need to feel edgy and contrarian is why Holla Forums has normie appeal.

Porkie propaganda

What about the increasing number of stay at home dads as well?

No one's saying there's anything wrong with being a housewife. There is wrong with being forced to be one out of traditional/backwards thinking that women/anyone cannot have the option to work outside the home.
I wrote this reply before the hack but couldn't post it.

I'm a housewife atm, too. (female)

Does Connor Kilpatrick browse leftypol? Wouldn't be suprised, he's based af.

That's great, but capitalist economic forces are making the "traditional family" more and more impossible to maintain for most people, so this might as well be a poll stating that most people would prefer to live on Narnia rather than Earth.

???
We're not rootless cosmopolitan liberals. We don't think 'traditional families' are bad.

Read Engels.

I think traditional families are bad and should be abolished

There's nothing wrong and there's nothing right. There's only economic reality and how we adjust our social lives accordingly.

You have some pretty terrible reading skills

Speak for yourself.

The whole point of the article is that people might be returning to this model out of economic necessity you dipshit

Interesting that the more family-friendly work policies tend to be, the more egalitarian people tend to be. In that same study, support for paid leave for fathers is very high, a sign that contradicts what the study is trying to say about young people.

Overall, I take this to mean that the desire for a more traditional family is not born necessarily out of true feelings, but pragmatic economics.

I bet they're all white

whos us? larpers on the internet?

it's important to discuss with people you're organized with. oh but wait, the majority of people posting here are pretend leftist petit-bourgeoisie sheltered larpers :^)

You had four days to think of a good burn for when Holla Forums is back and this is what you come up with

dats rayyyyycisssssssss

it's not a "burn". it's reality. how many people here do you think belong to a party or a collective? id say below 15%, if that

That doesn't make any fucking sense.

The "traditional family" is far less economically viable than the "two working parents" model.

Saying people are returning to the traditional family out of "economic necessity" is like saying that you didn't have enough money, so you quit your second job.

Are you trying to shame me for not being a LARPer?

I Know Less Than Zero Things About Economics: The Movie: The Post

Oh no the capitalists cannot exploit female workers! What ever will we do?