Redpill me on psychoanalysis...

Redpill me on psychoanalysis. I've always assumed it was nothing more than a free-form construction of pseudo-psychological narratives, like they told me back in psych 101, but some of y'all seem to think otherwise. I've only recently abandoned the notion that the scientific method is an immaculate route to objective truth. I read Freud's "The Interpretation of Dreams" as a kid but not much more than that. Hit me up with some arguments, links, and literature. I'm unlikely to read anything over 600 pages thooo.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!DJdkhYTR!gNrR2Hm7we5O0dyfwBHG0g
mega.nz/#F!eUlWRQxR!9LG4fzKLvNTiM0CKgUjqvA
lacanonline.com/index/find-a-lacanian-psychoanalyst/
youtube.com/watch?v=x5qvHNO1Ixw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1997 → 2007 → 1995:
mega.nz/#F!DJdkhYTR!gNrR2Hm7we5O0dyfwBHG0g

Study help:
mega.nz/#F!eUlWRQxR!9LG4fzKLvNTiM0CKgUjqvA

Find a Lacanian analyst:
lacanonline.com/index/find-a-lacanian-psychoanalyst/

Thank you comrade.

They were right.

critical psychology > psychoanalysis

Psychoanalysis forms about one third of the modern propaganda system, with the other two thirds being aspects of crowd psychology. Psychoanalysis also formed the basis for propaganda in Nazi Germany.

The inventor of modern propaganda, Edward Bernays, was actually even Sigmund Freud's nephew. He's an interesting chap, and did a lot of things. He's the one responsible for making it socially acceptable for women to smoke cigarettes as a marketing campaign (he framed them as "torches of freedom" and made it a women's rights thing). He's also the reason why "bacon and eggs" is such a popular breakfast (he got doctors to, incorrectly, say its healthy).

Check out Adam Curtis' documentary on this, called "Century of the Self"

ITT: demagogues.

youtube.com/watch?v=x5qvHNO1Ixw

>>>/fringe/

I legitimately don't understand the left's fixation with Slavoj. He is fun to listen to but everything he says is anecdotal and he seldom provides any sort of robust evidence to support his claims. He is someone I would like to be friends with but I have trouble taking what he says very seriously.

Maybe start reading his actual theoretical work after you had enough with his "luring in the youth by means of analyzing pop culture" shtick.

He breaks open and dismantles gigantic self-hampering taboos on the left, and does so pedagogically.

Everything you say and the way you think reeks of the most vulgar positivism. You have a machinic and rigid mind, not a dialectical and theoretical one.

t. Chomsky

That applies equally to psychoanalysis as it does Slavoj tbh

I'm sure Billy Nye has said far dumber things, that quote used there is kind of unfair, for there is nothing wrong with skepticism and the individual has little reason not to trust it's own senses.

To be fair you're using the words of scientists that lived and died before philosophy went into full-blown pomo navel-gazing obscurantism

contemporary philosophy isnt all foucalt

philosophy today (In Anglo-Land, specifically) is mostly analiti-fags jerking themselves off over how rational they are, that's why it's become so irrelevant.
Don't let Holla Forums memes get to ya.

Critical theory is at least 40 years old and is progressively less relevant over time.

You misconstrue my meaning good comrade. A blow to my honor this is. I did not imply that anecdotes are useless. Anecdotes have their place, but anecdotes alone cannot form the basis of any sort of concrete theory. They must be treated as a supplement to logical analysis, or else you severely limit the scope of potential implications for your philosophy. In your persecution of the infestation of our collective mind that is the rationalist movement, you disregard the value of the indispensable tool that is rationality.

I myself have no quarrel with the likes of vedantic, continental, classical and monadic philosophers. I find great wisdom in the Bhagavad Gita, and the works of Camus and Leibniz. However, we must not disregard the problem that arises when we overestimate the implications of purely intuitive thought.

This is the essence of psychoanalysis: a profound overestimation of the scope of implications that can be attributed to intuitive and narrative reasoning.

Actually I've seen a fair amount of evidence that bacon and eggs are healthy. The scientific community still hasn't reached completely consensus on what food is healthy, hence why you still see posters in hospitals telling you to eat mostly processed carbs.

I can say with some degree of confidence that the one problem humanity has never suffered from is an excess of rationality and logical thinking. A 5 minute look at the world around you should tell you as much.

The scientific method is a route to objective truth, it's just not universally applicable.

And so on

Upstanding bloke.. I tip my hat to you.

As for OP,

Patanjali Yoga Sutras

Yoga is actually the branch of orthodox Indian philosophy that deals with the mind. Western psychology is stuck at the point of getting people socially adapted. Actually we think that's of such prime importance that we allow drugs to replace the real human effort necessary to achieve social stability.

But society / moral / rational thought is just one plane of thought. It's good to get situated on that level, but that should just be a base camp for going higher. There is nothing but your own mind. Never stop exploring.

Idk, I follow Timothy Leary's 8 circuit model of the mind, elucidated by way of Robert Anton Wilson in Prometheus Rising. This makes the most evolutionary sense. You can also check out Sri Aurobindo who is in a similar vein imho.

You do know he would have laugh at you

spooks pls go :(