So, the Justice Democrats are pushing for a single-payer healthcare system in the US...

So, the Justice Democrats are pushing for a single-payer healthcare system in the US. If this is something you're interested in, please, feel free to follow the link below.

justicedemocrats.com/singlepayer

Tell me how that works out for ya kid

If Canada and the UK (I think?) are anything to go by, it should be a gas.

The US getting a single payer health system is, at the moment at the very least, a complete fever dream.

The democrats are unlikely to stray from Obamacare, as their lord and savior and best president ever Obama has his legacy tied to the bill, unless the party has a complete change of the guard, like from bottom up. This is extremely unlikely, they reaffirmed that they weren't gonna make any real changes to what the party espouses by dicking Ellison. They'll lose to Trump in 2020, barring a full scale economic collapse or disastrous war.

And, needless to say, the republicans would never in a blue moon sponsor a bill like this.

Sorry socdem guy

How feasible would it be for a state like California or New York to implement single payer?
The thing about federalism is that you get the chance to lead by example, forcing muh bootstrap Texans receive free healthcare is just counterproductive since it becomes a problem of partisanship rather than simply good policy.

Literally who?

I still think it's worth a shot.

indeed, it'll be interesting to see if the Democrats begin to paint Sanders and co as black sheep should they keep trying to rattle the cage, even in the most minor of ways. For the time being they're trying to co-op their spirit without actually having to change anything and act like it means they're a new party.

it got shot down in VT, so I doubt it will ever happen in a state first. also it was on the ballot in CO last election and lost 80-20 lol. vote pot but going bankrupt or dying on the street is awesome. we gotta keep that

idk very little substantial pro-worker stuff has ever happened at state level. ND has a state-run public bank, alaska's oil fund, uhh that's about all i can think of

What are minimum wage increases? The federal government in America is a lost cause. Only socdems bother fucking with it.

I'd have to agree, the real opportunity for any leftist victory at an electoral level is gonna have to come in local government

thing is the cost of living is usually higher in the states that pass min wage increases

Meanwhile the federal minimum wage hasn't changed in forever. American politics can only be changed at the state level. It is totally different from Europe. A Lenin style coup would be impossible there.

I don't know man, American population is very concentrated in a few dozen counties, not unlike Russia was basically Petrograd and a few dozen relevant cities. Coordinate a takeover in most of these counties at the same time, and the country is yours. The middle states would basically be like a more populated Siberia, to be conquered later.

lol why am i discussing with a nazbol the virtues and demerits of local governance. i'm assuming we're talking socdem reform here? if so

like i said before state politics has

- produced next to nothing of reformist pro-worker value in all this time. demonstrate otherwise. (even capitalists and their puppets know there are limits to exploitation, hence local min wage increases keeping with cost of living). any decent transformative lefty change in the US has come at fed level (abolition, Square Deal, New Deal, War on Poverty, civil rights).

state politics is

- laughably corrupt. like, way more so than federal. states like NJ and IL are basically third-world levels of corruption

- run by party bosses that have even more power than federal because of parochial nature of local politics

- capital's stranglehold is strengthened at local level. for instance finance in NY, tech in CA, big ag in midwest. modern feudal lords

- even more capital flight than national level

- is absolutely powerless in taming some of the worst externalities capitalism produces the way central gov can (to an extent)

- Dem party outside of coasts is way more reactionary than the federal party. Dixicrat coalcocksuckers in WV, Dixicrat agribusinesscocksuckers in AK

- but what about third parties? well, VT has a social democratic Progressive Party with seats in the state legislature. like i said earlier, VT, the most leftist state in the country, killed single payer in their state, even with those nice socdems!

i mean, could go on. not saying federal is path to paradise and not completely rejecting participation in state politics. just saying major reformist change that even slightly clips wings of capitalists will probably never happen there

Bernie is introducing a single payer bill soon, and it will interesting to see if it gets co-sponsors. i think he's pushing the internal overton window of Dems to a more Europeon socdem direction over their current Blairite orientation. it's very plausible that that can become the ideological consensus in the next generation. plus, youth is way more anti-capitalist in this country going by polls and Bernie is the most popular politician by far. Dem bosses have actually begged Bernie to deflect criticism from the party to GOP. They know the tide is changing. They parachuted Perez into the DNC race just to barely beat Ellison

Countless things were introduced first at the state level before obtaining the critical mass to reach the federal level. Bankruptcy, child labor abolition, minimum wage, pensions, welfare, environmental protections, conservationism, workplace safety, female suffrage… Not to mention in many countries, such as Canada, single-payer was passed in exactly the same way.

this basically. Also conservatives are much more mobilized for midterm and local elections. It's hard to do grassroots stuff in the states if there isn't a party actively supporting it (especially if it's not something sexy like marijuana).

What do they do with this email and zip code exactly?

>The Justice Democrats are a political action committee founded on January 23, 2017, by Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks, Kyle Kulinski of Secular Talk, and former leadership from the 2016 Bernie Sanders presidential campaign.

The dems aren't even near Blairite.

The Justice democrats plan is to completely take over the senate and replace the democrats.

The sad thing is, they're pretty much Bolsheviks if compared with the DNC.

Not even going to respond to this bullshit.

Power is more than offset by local interest groups and political organizations.

- even more capital flight than national level

I will give you these ones. Capital flight is a serious issue. However the whole point of state activism is to prove to the entire country that a specific reform will not destroy the world as we know it. It's not about creating a sustainable regime but about starting an avalanche of change that eventually reaches Congress.

There is not an interest group or political faction in America that could ever hope to challenge the DEA in Congress yet they have successful flaunted their authority time and time again in the state level by legalizing marijuana.

I think state level is the only way to go. If we try to implement things at a federal level it'll just mobilize heavy opposition from a large section of the country that already hates the federal government.