Too many fucking games

too little goddamn time.

"So here's the thing. In February, around 850 games launched on Steam, which is about 40 a day,"

I'm not your typical gamer, I try to reach the credits of everything I play. My favourite genre is JRPG which also doesn't help. But even if your average game time is 10 hours how many games can one man buy? I bought NNK2 and FF15RE this month.

How can this industry continue to survive? Who is buying all the indie shit?

Attached: Aquinas.png (288x391, 244.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae?gi=4ac98189dd1d
archive.fo/OOnyk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nobody. Unless the game also has a card system, in which case the steam mega-autists looking to increase their levels will buy them and 'play' them for a few hours until they get their drops.

Haven't you seen ?
The answer is:
No one.

Nobody, the only people winning is Valve since you pay them ~$100 to put your indie game on their site, so most are in the red at the end of the day.
I guess there's worse games to buy-.
You better of just gotten it for your PS4 to have a game on it and not supported denuvo.

Literature and film enthusiasts have the same problem. Even if you were to only go through the stuff that's been produced up until now, that's already more games than a person can play and complete within 10 lifetimes. Then there's more stuff being made and released on top of that every day. Inevitably you're going to miss out on some good games, but when you consider that 3/4 of any media is between garbage and mediocre, you're not missing out on as much as you might initially believe.

And if you take just one look at what most of those games are you realise they really aren't worth your time.

Both NNK and FF15 are trash.
I recommend Devil Summoner for PS2 instead.

Attached: pcsx2 2017-05-07 17-38-41-42.jpg (1440x1080, 259.65K)

There's hundreds of millions of gamers (over 150M on Steam alone) today, nearly two billion if you include all the casualshitters on browsers & phones, spending over $107 billion last year.

Sadly, this bounty of riches doesn't seem to be big enough for developers to feel the slightest loyalty toward niche markets, no matter how lucrative, instead of watering everything down in the hopes of roping in a million extra casuals.

Attached: gaming projection.png (815x806, 45.11K)

Man, I was kind of looking forward to pirating Ni No Kuni 2. It looked like a decent thing to keep me occupied until Falcom decides to hand the Ys8 port to someone actually competent.

I do agree that devil summoner is a very good game but NNK looks good.

Those are some awfully low standards. If 40 games launch on Steam every day, are you seriously implying that there are 10 good games coming out daily without anyone noticing?

yes

Steam is irrelevant. A full 50% of those are Chinese

Attached: a88024407a1d4c551ab246235180c52c4f23771c15ca5e841efa7712b3db2862.png (500x514, 35.9K)

OP please.
seriously? that's most people who aren't faggots. I thought you meant 100%ing for a second, which would be atypical and autistic, unless you mean you try to finish every game you play no matter how unenjoyable it gets for you and even if you end up disliking it.

Work on your backlog. Focus on indieshit later. There's a lot of legendary games of ages past. Focus on those and the newer shit later.

There is a small minority of Steam users who just buy everything and sit on it. They don't really do anything and they are not actually keeping any of those projects afloat with endless dosh it's just a one and done deal.

Attached: b1126f62619945fe2df47ce36766f9ad3867e7586d3d9effd9ebd50cd1dfbb63.png.jpg (147x255, 8.83K)

THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF NU/V/

Yeah but all those Steam users are LITERALLY playing the same 5 games.

I think we have to accept something: there is no niche audience to speak of.

As opposed to what? Unironically watching Twitch and playing Fortnite?

I'm not ashamed of playing and buying weebshit. Wish more people did. Gaming has gone into a direction that I do not care for AT ALL.

Attached: 5688-197754681.jpg (456x367, 41.95K)

As opposed to not doing that, you retard.

Shoo tankie shoo

Steam has been bad for years, was always unwelcome DRM gaming centralization, and neither me or any of my old gamer friends have used it significantly for a long time. That said I don't sperg out at people for still having it. That's some real shit-tier elitism right there.

I can't wait for not buying and playing them. Just look at the shit they are trying to sell as multiplayer hits.

So playing Overcuck, buying from the Unreal store and watching Twitch streams, yes? No. Steam has killed physical and became gayer than a gay Furry con orgy with Dragondildos and pozzing. If I can get something elsewhere, I don't get it from there. Stop being acting like a elitist bitch who is assblasted over not getting any action.

Attached: cancer sale.jpg (569x598, 140.23K)

The majority of things are garbage, a minority are good, and a minority of the previous minority are exceptional. Of these good and exceptional games there are also some in genres you dislike or some other little niggle that will put you off them, so overall you're not really missing out on much. Just try to make sure you try a few games a week or something, the vast majority of the time you can tell if you're going to enjoy something within 30 minutes of playing it.

galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae?gi=4ac98189dd1d
archive.fo/OOnyk

>Various studies suggest that there are 700–800 million of PC gamers. It’s probably true, but it doesn’t mean much for your game. Because if you’re developing a downloadable game for Steam you’re not even fighting for 135M of its active users, you’re fighting for the attention of 1.3 million gamers that are actually buying lots of games.

Don't be fooled by the massive raw numbers. The success or failure of the vast majority of games is determined by the niche audience, because for most games the niche audience is the only audience that exists. The only issue is that a lot of developers don't seem to realize this.

With so much influx of shit games, will we really see another crash?
Follow up question, is, how will a person who genuinely wants to make fun games able to compete in this saturated market?

If it's shit it gets ignored, if it isn't then it spreads by word of mouth

Make a good gaym and shill it here. That's it.

Once your tastes mature like mine you'll realize most videogames are shit and not worth your time.

The crash is already ongoing. If a place like this seems to dictate what is played, Western vidya is really doomed. Atari and Mattell had the same home made problem; too many hacks were able to sell their garbage on their platform leaving console gaming practically to big N that had only to exclude Sega from big box retailers to rake in enough money to survive a flop like the Wii U.

The difference being everyone is used to wading through shit for all media these days

Good luck with that.
More and more people are simply fed up with wasting money on shitty games to trust anyone anymore.
A good developer will still have his game pirated or ignored by most people.
Developers are fucked either way.

Holy shitting jesus, something like a quarter of accounts date back before 2009, that would be like buying 2-3 generations of consoles without owning any games other than pack-ins.

Reminder the "great crash" had zero effect on PCs or arcades, and the NES's sole contribution was to resurrect the slimy razor & blades walled garden devkit tax business model from its well deserved demise, laying the groundwork for today's telco-subsidized contract phones and app stores.

Attached: steam-accounts-and-concurrent-connections.png (600x364, 42.8K)

you shouldn't be using (((Steam))) at all you fucking retard, you're contributing to the cancer that is valve, buy it from their sites or other sources and stop supporting them you cocksucker

Do these autists prefer games with smaller or larger card sets?

Fucking remember when this shit was first announced and anons were talking about it like it was the freaking stock market and how they were going to make investments in the right cards to make their millions…

But that raises even more questions. Who the fuck is buying these random cards?

At this point, I don't even bother taking notice of games unless: 1) they get a retail release, and 2) they're 3D.
Digital distribution and pixelshit aren't bad things in and of themselves, but most shit games will fall into one or both of those categories. So following those two rules drastically reduces the mental energy I need to expend in order to find games that aren't shovelware.

Attached: 1444180824342.jpg (500x316, 64.31K)

The industry will survive.
Indies on Steam can't.
They're already fleeing. There's some Zelda-like game that recently relaunched on Switch? Got like 20x the sales it did on Steam. There is fucking zero discover-ability on Steam because Valve thinks algorithms will save the world. They want Steam Curators to do the work FOR them, and essentially pay for the privilege.

Nobody. See above.

Bad art shouldn't turn anyone off a game if the rest of it is good enough, but pixelshit isn't just bad, it's ignorant and pretentious. Until every single indieshitter knows what "rixels", "mixels", "ramp gradients", etc, are, and why they're bad, everyone will have to keep harping on this.

At least the switch to 4th-gen 3D has brought them to a phase of retro graphics that's harder to fuck up so bad.

Where do I go for self improvement and help on finding jobs? Holla Forums is the only place I know ;_;

Well I'm assuming you're the same guy posting smilies and told to knock it off for 2 years and never changed even that little piece of yourself, so I'd say you're a lost cause.

Attached: Eisai Haramasukoi.gif (540x304, 3.15M)

wut
Is not me, I've never encountered such a thing. I lurk 99% and almost never post.