Casuals in gamedev classes

So I just started studying Computer Science. I asked my assigned group why they chose their career and they said it was because they loved video games. Then they went on to list what they liked the best:

mfw these are the friends I'll be making for the next five years.

Attached: C1WrGgTUUAECr_Q.jpg (585x314, 21.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root
oneangrygamer.net/2018/01/blizzard-now-banning-overwatch-players-toxic-youtube-comments/50064/
oneangrygamer.net/2018/03/overwatch-league-coach-tries-avoid-fine-profusely-apologizing-bumping-player/54282
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kill them all and then yourself

Nice blogpost, you fucking faggot.

Attached: shane fuckign ded.jpg (372x386, 16.44K)

Holla Forums is the dedicated board for for complaining about your horrible life decisions. Also, the fact that you call it a "gamedev class" is proof that you're just as bad as them.

Attached: 1488283815419.png (869x1776, 705.34K)

Attached: gender studies for boys.PNG (1780x477 220.3 KB, 124.08K)

I was trying not to write computer science in the subject to keep it short.

Attached: agdg.webm (292x240, 1.18M)

CS, but somewhat focused on videogames. There's a separate career called Software Engineering wich is similar, apparently.

that is kind of true, every text adventure is a word processor, every word processor is a text adventure, every web browser is a game running at 60hz, every game running at 60hz is a web browser (hopefully not but the main loop should structured similar)

One on the left is one of the most sophisticated pieces of code ever written.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

what?

Attached: monitor.jpg (560x500 75.38 KB, 476.53K)

I quit my Comp Science courses and dropped out of college after they continually pressured me to go into game design, and to take elective courses in Social Sciences. That was in 2008-2009, and in hindsight, it's pretty obvious what was going on. At the time, I just wanted to get my certification and get a shitty job working at a local place as IT. Why the fuck would I want to get into game design, knowing what I knew about how the industry operates - and who in gods name would hire someone with a tissue paper degree from some no-name community collage in Hicksville Indiana?

I'm not actually from Hicksville, I just find the name coincidentally funny for a town in a primarily Corn and Motorsports state

Attached: 44e8798bf7a4dc9f1a9cb55a841a0e85.jpg (375x374, 36.33K)

for fucks sake forget the gamedev classes thing I was retarded. I study computer science.

you fucked up OP

check these dubs

Attached: 5b480114a12cd7e45d96026604931dfbdaa30fb2e52ab8faf832e533882a721a.png (180x180, 1.48K)

you're a failure of a human being

Where at?

sage?
why would you, it does fucking nothing and threads still get bumped in nerve center regardless

I'm doing CS right now. Thanks for the warnings, user.

t. retard

that's all it takes, huh?

Third world nation.

Attached: shirtsizes.png (551x145, 141.26K)

>>>/cuckchan/ and stay there

No, you ride the tiger and subvert them to your cause slowly but surely.

Anyone in a gamedev class is a casual by definition.

I've stopped caring about saging shit threads a while ago. About the time that vols stopped giving a shit about them too.

its salvageable but stop acknowledging posts that call out your retardation and just focus on the discussion.

My little brother went into CS, thank god.
its funny, he had a dream of becoming a programmer or software designer for blizzard or some shit like that but he wasn't retarded enough to go into actual game dev classes, after I redpilled him on the vidya industry and Blizzard he hates them, and I don't know what he wants to do now as a result.

I am thinking about redpilling my classmates but they're wide eyed proto-adults and I'm a 28yr-old anxious fat fuck with no social skills and I worry they'll just write me off for being negative.

To be fair, I think it should be somewhat concerning to us that future game devs are retards with shit taste.

This may be a blog post, but it's a blog post with some actual significance behind it.

In order to be a good ideaguy, you just need to play games that are good. No career bullshite. I could probably make a better game that one of those faggots if you put me in charge.

Attached: apu showdown.mp4 (432x240, 750.85K)

Hate to tell you this, but the field is absolutely oversaturated for new grads right now. It's getting worse too; even the redditers at CSQuestions are realizing it now too.

All those articles about how CompSci is the best 4 year degree is partly to blame for it. The rest of it lies on the coding programs for minorities like Women in Coding. Big companies sponsoring them to reap the untapped labor of minorities to drive down wages.

Better do some internships. And don't go gamedev unless you want to compete with autists and get lower than average wages and a worse work-life balance.

Attached: touhouAsianEyesChingChong.png (678x623, 221.78K)

just tell them the truth. Don't rant at them of course, but just let your viewpoints be known at the very least if a discussion ever comes up. Don't be autistic about it.
well, fuck.
Stick with the truth. If you know something scummy that a company's doing, bring it up in casual conversation when that company comes up. For example the blizzard overwatch censorship.
Redpilling is a pretty gradual process. Long as you can get a friend on your side you've already done your job.

Alright, which instance this time? Did yet another occurance of this shit happen?

I misspoke, its more of them banning people from their game, period, for having opinions outside their website that they don't approve of or consider toxic
oneangrygamer.net/2018/01/blizzard-now-banning-overwatch-players-toxic-youtube-comments/50064/
I dunno if that counts as censorship or not, but something that might more count as censorship is them fining esports players for using memes and emojis on social media that they don't like

nigger
cattle
feed
lot

also, wew it got worse since the last time I checked, this is something out of parody I swear
oneangrygamer.net/2018/03/overwatch-league-coach-tries-avoid-fine-profusely-apologizing-bumping-player/54282

HIGH RISK MEMES

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (445x698 52.11 KB, 182.3K)

enjoy feeling like you can do anything then never finding a job and realizing you could wipe your ass with your "diploma" and immediately regret wasting that money you could have used to go get a bunch of worthwhile certificates that didn't need all that wasted time and money to teach you what you already knew

Attached: comp.png (3000x2584, 277.2K)

Seriously what the fuck is up with that

Attached: 6da87f9a8ab6ac8237139996d495583757f74ffb3a2e477064a4065474dc8662.jpg (500x386, 51.75K)

you just gotta work hard and move up in the company!

I'll just be a minimum wage codemonkey another year, the big wigs at the top are sure to take notice of me envetually!

I have a job and make a living. I want to complement my imperfect coding knowledge. I plan to work for myself as a gamedev on my free time.

Good advice I'll lowball them.

But there's a bunch I don't know, like linear algebra and vector math, c++, low level optimizations, debugging, version control.

Ya already fucked up. Should've learned something useful that you can't learn by yourself like animation or 3d modeling or design

/thread

But you can do that by yourself, user.

the casuals will either switch to some other easier subject or quit entirely by year 3 once it gets hard and takes some dedication and intelligence. Until then just ignore them, it's actually really easy.

I know that already. I do 2d/3d animations, VFX and video production. I have all the tools I need for game making except proper coding skills.

Not as easily as programming.
Need to learn programming? See how professionals do it? download something open source and there it is

Need to learn how to model or animate? Good luck with that, you've only got terrible youtube tutorials and finished projects you can't deconstruct

Nigger, unless you have some nigger tier spatial vision, you ain't gonna have trouble with self learning.

To be fair, most of Indiana is corn, methheads and college towns.

It worked guys, they're reducing Pepe trade inflation, we're going to have vanilla Pepe memes be rare again

FINALLY OUR WORK HAS VALUE
holy fucking shit we made these people afraid of a fucking cartoon frog

Attached: sassy laugh.webm (474x264, 328.11K)

We're actually mostly heroin addicts now, I hear. I knew a couple meth heads I used to score a half to 3/4 gram or so a month from in exchange for turning in pills, but I quit that shit years ago when one of the people I was getting supplied from got pregnant and I couldn't get her to quit - so I just cut ties since I didn't want to be contributing to putting her into situations where she's going to fill her body full of chemicals that would fuck up her baby.

Cousin and a few friends are sitting in jail right now for heroin possession (all separate busts). Shit's kinda fucked here. We're like in the top 15 states for substance abuse, mostly along US 30 heading from Chicago to the East Coast, and to a lesser degree the I-69 corridor heading South to the Gulf.

Attached: 4ff5bb4beab8ea5a1d00000c-750.jpg (590x442, 77.2K)

That looks like a cocaine map. Doesn't heroin come mostly from the middle east now?

It's like you want to be gay and jobless, lol.

Attached: CombineHarvesterMasterRace.jpg (998x551 789.97 KB, 1020.39K)

Dunno, I've never done it or really associated with it. Hell, I didn't even know my cousin and friends did it until they got busted. But, then again, I am a bit of a NEET so getting out and making drug connections having no social skills with a bunch of jumpy paranoid drug addicts isn't the easiest or safest prospect.

I've heard from acquaintances in law enforcement that most of what comes through 30 from the Chicago gangs is weed and heroin/pills. Cocaine generally stays more local to Chicago since it's in higher demand there, and meth is typically home-cooked and much more dispersed. There's major shipments going through, but typically if they have a meth bust on the highway, it's some asshole driving around with a pop bottle filled with chemicals and venting out his window.

You can, just stop being shit at studying and actually sit your ass down through free online tutorials. If you can't sit still for an hour and do some fucking work you have no business being in any industry.

Come back to us once you have a master or doctorate and rake in the dosh working for some big bank while drop outs and cucks slave away during crush time working for videogames.

i may know jack shit about coding but even i can recognize eficient profetionalism whne i see it

Too focused on action and assets.

i beg to differ
the first reboot was kick ass
the milimetrical jumps and tank controls of the previus were getting stale by the time Chronicles had come out
then Angel of Darkness came out wich aded a stamina bar that served as a countdown for how much time you could stay hanged and after seing it i dropped the franchise and never looked back
at least until the remake of the first one came around
sure, Lara semmed to have spend a little to much time learning new mooves in the Tomb of the Persian royal family but the game had every single moove a human could do in an olypic atlethism competition (except walking on the tight rope wich was shit in Chronicles anyway)
Lara even had a graple hook now, i had been waiting for that obvious upgrade since i first saw Indy wielding his whip
All levels had been redisigned to use all the new moves, new secrets everywhere, combat was actually fun now, there where puzzles everywhere and despite the redesing of the levels they all stayed mostly faithfull to the original
sure it had some QTEs but they were few and far between and maibe it was a little bit on the easy side with chackpoint at every corner remooving any kind of penalty for sucking and dying but it still was awesome
everything was faster, lara was more agile than ever, the puzzles were not brainburning but not retarde either the plataforming was fun to traverse, ocationally you even got your ass kicked by some random enemy
it was everything i ever wished out of Tomb Raider
prehaps adding better enemies and a couple of parry/pushback meele moves to spice things up would have been good but i have no complains
you can't possibly imagine my joy when i found out the remake was the second game since the reboot (can't remeber the name of the one she wields scaliburg) i still need to play the one with the Mjorlin, my PC couldn't take it at the time and i didn't have the current gen console to play it
maybe i should download it
it'll definetly be better than anything else Squeenix has planed for their next Nu Raider

Making Pepe illegal will only inflate the pepe prices.

Even common pepes will costs more, and because it's hard to find pepes, low quality pepes will flood the now black market because they won't have a free pepe market to choose between a rare pepe and a shitty pepe, even overused pepes will be valuable due illegality so there won't be reason to create rare pepes anymore.

Attached: s.jpg (834x437, 118.85K)

is this some kind of non-programmer joke?

did your CS program not offer electives?

there's your problem. if CS is so overssatured why can't i even hire decent developers for $130k

Attached: aplacetoreturn.jpg (620x465, 51.07K)

this thread really triggered my tism. you fags are trying way too hard to fit in with this >gamedev shit

Because I said the market for new grads are over-saturated. The deficit in programmers lies in the middle->senior levels.

What problem? I was making an observation that even they are coming to terms with how shitty the market is getting despite the constant shilling going on for getting more people (minorities/women) into coding by saying how anyone can and should do it.

Why get a (((gamedev))) degree when you can get a CompSci degree and be able to do everything instead of pidgeon-holeing yourself into one sector of the tech industry that underpays and overworks you? Because the degree is more valuable than the CompSci degree to a game publisher? I highly doubt that.

Attached: shrug.png (432x429, 239.98K)

Any self-respecting programmer isn't wasting his time on gamedev if he has the skill to get a better job with better pay and better hours.

But the dream, user.

There are no dreams. You must suffer reality.

ok i agree with you on the mid/senior gap, i'm probably just not exposed to the floor of newfag devs or reddit. also agreed on a gamedev degree that is retarded, taking a class on it within a CS degree is fine though

100% accurate. took me precisely 1 year to fuck off out of that industry. i'd love to do hobby projects but would get "de-platformed" pretty fast for my moonman kike-killer FPS and racewar RTS ideas. plus artists are mostly faggots so i'd have to build the assets myself. i wish i could collaborate with other anons, even have the money to self-fund but i dont even know where to begin on the logistics. i have enough trouble as it is with flaky employees IRL even when they are getting paid handsomely

Attached: 90a1865c10814be360467207859961fbab702f99dd6e5e65715aea19072ac5d4.png (1000x2000, 379.73K)

They will not be there two years from now, do not get attached. I speak from experience. Classes filled, 35 people a class. Tons of shitty casuals and idiots. End of my bachelor's degree, class size of 5 or 10, everyone else went to IT since they weren't smart enough. Dumb people are attracted to dumb things, and that includes dumb games.

Oh boy, it's this fucking thread again. With the same insipid fucking posts in it. Yeah, no shit that if you're going to school for comp sci just to get a degree and a high paying job, you're fucked. Degrees mean nothing if you got no skills as a degree is just a piece of paper. But if you go to just learn how to code and make software or games to build your portfolio while you're at school you can make it out just fine. It's not that hard to make it as an indie either as long as you don't make fucking trash. The meme of "I quit my job, went indie and ended up broke" stories all have one thing in common. They all made shitty, unambitious, usually mobile, trash games that no one would want to play(Then they're somehow fucking surprised when no one gives them money).
They either made mobile shit, which that market is so over-saturated you might as well save yourself time and money and just play the lottery. Or they made some cheap looking 2D game that's most likely a Link to The Past clone. The /agdg/ threads here on 8ch alone prove this by doing the opposite. Speebot was mildly successful and allowed the dev to work more on his engine and progress towards a new game. The waifu wedding VR sim got that user a nice job. Put some ambition into your project and make something that isn't just retreading the same old ground and you'll succeed.
tl;dr - Going to school for comp sci or game development is only useless if you're just pursuing the useless fucking BA. If you actually apply yourself to becoming skilled while attending you'll do just fine and pay off your debt in less than 3 years, easy.

Attached: 4551 - tagme.jpg (1600x1200, 1.15M)

Nice post, but it means nothing unless you speak from personal experience.

So having a confirmation bias is better than looking at trends? Got it. You're the smartest guy in the thread, congartulatuhns

Anyone can spew hot air about trends, but it's another thing when you've actually made a serious life decision about it, so yes.

They're not the only ones that should be ridiculed here

Maybe if you develop for the Nintendo Switch. Steam is a goddamned clusterfuck of shovelware. Nobody uses GoG. Playstation has really fucking arbitrary "you gotta know someone" gatekeeping, and Xbox is dead.

Attached: Indies.jpg (997x818, 212.16K)

I do
So did my friend who did it before me and inspired me to go to school

I made a serious life decision about it. I came from a poor family and I'm the first one in my family to get a college degree. I applied myself because I knew if I pissed it away I'll have a debt I cannot possible pay off. No I work in information systems, make good money and the most I have to worry about on a day-to-day basis at work is if the shitty fucking Spectrum internet connection is gonna shit out at random.

Attached: 26329513-gangster-sitting-at-a-table-counting-money-on-the-table-gun-and-brass-knuckles-Stock-Photo.jpg (1300x867, 143.19K)

And what a fucking shame that is, considering The apparently let you turn a retail Xbone into a dev kit.

O hi o not O hey o faggot

It's "O-hee-yo" dummy

t. butthurt buckeye

Attached: b4907bfdf8cb39da7b3f0bbc0ba73c86.jpg (448x454, 43.31K)

CS is such a joke.

Enjoy your trannies

Listen nigger its O Hi o not O hee yo and ITS ARKAN SUS NOT ARKAN SAW FUCK YOU FUCKING RETARDS NIGGERS

Not at all. Professional programmer here with a CS degree. Those faggots drop out very quickly. Once you're through your intro classes, you don't see anybody like that anymore. You maybe see one game dev aspirer, and by then, it's the dedicated ones who know what they're talking about.

Even in the higher classes, most of the class is slack jawed idiots.

I-I'm gonna make a game one day, user. Y-you'll see!

you will!

It usually takes a mere two minutes to figure out who's worth talking to. Filtering out the retards is easy. Especially in college where everyone feels empowered to act out and "be themselves"

You can do it, user. I believe in you.

Attached: pleased.jpg (668x613, 117.66K)

Kill them all.
Poison their food.
Do everything to look like an unfortunate accident.

Go pursue trends and see how "well" it will end for you.
Trends are just speculative manipulation to appease shareholders. The general public is more and more avoiding trends, and avoiding spending money at all.
See you again when you become a hobo.

And it will be either shit, or it will be pirated.
You are fucked.

Nobody in my degree was worth talking to, and I say this as someone who desperately tried to make friends as I lost touch with all of mine. I remember trying to join the programming clubs, and everyone there would rather just talk about shit like LoL than code. Eventually I quit, since I was the only one doing anything, and went to hang out with the engineering students who where actually doing things.

I think by far the worst part about the CS students was when they'd try to talk about programming like they fucking knew anything. When in reality all they're doing is regurgitating useless outdated shit they memorized for a test. It's so obvious they barely/don't code outside of school at all.

Attached: 756961785c2c84594d46c22337993a851ee135e4d83d4178b8c0dbdcf8b31217.jpg (1986x2709, 1.6M)

If you're not in flyover, 130k is jack shit
If you are in flyover, you need to find a way to get your opportunity in front of people who are in shitholes like the bay area and want out

That's where I went right I guess. I only talked to people who wanted to code as much as I did. Over my winter breaks, while the retards were just playing LoL and stuffing themselves with Christmas cookies. I was quietly plugging away making plug-ins and cute little experimental games. I only talked to those kinds of people and was much better off for it. While I don't talk to any of them anymore, they helped me out a lot over coming any roadblocks I had with learning to code.

Attached: 1445668430768.jpg (900x900, 524.02K)

Attached: thisshitagain.jpg (320x287, 10.29K)

shill out 45 bucks to learn on Lynda and you'll get the essentials for both animation and modeling

don't do that. They nearly always end up acting like total idiots later on. I red pilled a heap and they've now gone into the industry doing the total opposite of what I told them to do. You are better off leaving them to their stupidity and not helping them as in the end its one less competitor to yourself. It sucks but this is the reality. Do NOT help them. Further more showing your true power can lead to you being kicked out of the course. SJWs are rampant in this education, I've had friends who were kicked out for memes. Only hint at your true power, never show it directly.

it sounds like you didn't redpill them at all though"?

At the time I thought I had, but as the years have gone on its become clear to me that most of them will succumb to the same crap practices because they were too young and inexperienced to resist the industries bullshit. In the end they'll end up being exploited just as I was. This is why no matter how hard you try, the idiots will still go ahead and do this stupid shit anyway even despite your warnings because their desire to become a game developer is greater than any risk you may introduce into their environment.

Its stupid because most of them should use that energy to start their own studios and give up on AAA.

Attached: df8.gif (500x225, 809.11K)

130k is just about the top end of salary for remote workers in my field until you show up in-person for NYC or bay area jobs. in other words when you sort the job board by salary and remote we were literally at the top of the page. my problem is that the applicants are shit, they have no portfolio, and the ones that do when we hire them they are entitled fucks too lazy to even write 2 lines of brief text each day for what they did the previous day and what they're doing today. of course there are exceptions but you really have to wade through shit to get there

One of my friends who did a game dev course has the most casual taste imaginable. At the moment he's trying to get me excited for The Last of War and Days Gone. Luckily he just wants to be an environmental artist.

Attached: 62ab47c952f0721f6252b647380d3080baa038e7bf4b6de4f857957f7c9f4b1d.png (742x756, 658.24K)

1st image not related

Attached: kode.png (537x765 1.49 MB, 78.51K)

I know a dude doing this at uni, he took a month to make a shitty unity game for shitchans agdg and someone reviewed it on youtube and assumed that he threw it together in a day and said it was shit and barebones even for a days work.

mfw this idiot thinks he will get a job over diversity hires when his CV is completely blank outside of the degree he is yet to get.

You never know. I'm sure he's more skilled than most Ubisoft employees.

t. the guy that was talking about

I think the humor of being hired by Ubisoft is lost on you.

Is she a troll?

Are you a newfag?

Sure is a good career move, famalam.

Attached: 9b5d2dab9347ad69e500d1d58e….jpg (524x451, 36.12K)

Are you a newfag needing to ask a newfag that HE IS a newfag?

yeah, that's a good plan actually.

no, you can learn those things by yourself.

keep in mind that a cs degree won't make you learn these things (sadly), although it will give you the chance to.
for instance, a lot of programs don't require linear algebra any more, but you really, really do want to take it if you want to force yourself to internalize vector math.
you should research your teachers, as well. most of the useful training i got in testing and debugging came from an assembly language class – i've never used assembly since, but everything he taught us about testing your code stuck in my brain. best of luck.

listen to this guys. degrees are completely worthless. at my college there are several programming classes as well as classes on algorithms (which a lot of people fail) and most graduates can't even write a for loop by themselves.
people binge learn the things they need for the exam, get their degree and can't actually program after they're done with college.

It's not one of the most sophisticated, but it's also not that simple. It uses some really impressive floating point black magic fuckery to run extremely efficiently.

Found your problem, tbh
It's a good arrangement when it works but hiring new people straight into that is asking for trouble

t. brainlet who doesn't understand evola

Attached: be28184ead25362.jpg (600x582, 61.47K)

It doesnt you retard, you pay for the game, you accept the Terms of Service.
Private property, hippety hoppity

Attached: hope.jpg (187x270, 8.81K)

Lose weight get fit. And always stick to the truth. But just point to gateway tier shit, lay bread crumbs instead of dropping everything. People love agreeing with shit that they feel like they discovered themselves so just plant a seed in their heads.

Also if you wanna get social skills quick force yourself to get a (simple) job that requires you to be social, assuming you're not a total retard you'll get the hang of being social pretty fast.

One of the worst ppl in design classes are women who say that "the last of us" is their favorite game. And if you ask them they'll tell you they don't play games but watch YouTubers play them.

I know those things and I majored in art. I doubt you'll learn them in CS classes, I never did. Read SICP and stop making shit threads.

Attached: cant nuke.jpg (253x262, 14.6K)

In CS it's the same (or was, ages ago). Most people are attracted to it because of vidya, which is the one thing you don't code ever except for the graphics classes.

Attached: cs.png (561x595, 98.92K)

I laughed but then I realized these are probably real stories

Attached: death.jpg (400x400, 54.27K)

I bet he thinks rolling for stats is lame too.

I overhear discussions about various p2w games a lot too. Really grinds my gears. I'm not that much older than these students but it's night and day, what kind of games we play.

You're assuming he knows what "rolling" is.
He actually does know. He plays quite a bit of tabletop rpgs. He doesn't seem to play much video games though.

Attached: cat excited.jpg (1200x975, 85.65K)

My students wont shut the fuck up about DLC models. I'm all MAKE A FUCKING GOOD GAME FIRST. That's half the trouble with the industry right now, more concerned with monetization, every fucking game has to be a fucking franchise now.

Yeah, if you're just getting into it for the money, you're going into the wrong business. I'm sure a lot of these kids are going to be disappointed when they realize they have as much chance of getting rich off a game as they do of winning the lottery.

hese games are good at making money. If you choose profession but it doesn't feeds your you need a special purpose to justify your choice.

BTW if want to infiltrate profession from within and redpill it with your vision of what you believe is proper you still need to be good at making money otherwise your vision would not go everywhere.

What degree? I noticed a trend that art students want to make pretty and unique looking games while STEM students are all about churning out mobile trash. I find it pretty weird they're more passionate about marketing and skinnerbox aspects instead of their chosen profession in gamedev context.

Mine are a mix. artists and stem. And as such its a 50/50 split. Some are really great and talented, they want their own studios, some are just in it for either money or they'd rather just play games all day. Half the time it feels like I run a daycare centre for Adults.

I can relate to that part. They show up late and fiddle with their phones during the lectures and don't do the work or study for the tests and then take up time I could be using to mark assignments to ask me "Why am I failing?" or to basically just have me explain something I did a 2 hour lecture on not long before.

whats the deal with it? everyone recommends it, it even has good amount of seeders which means people want people to play it but I can't get into it

The gameplay feels pretty archaic because it's based on the second edition of D&D and it's nothing special anyway. The writing and setting are superb though.

He obviously wants to make a fun game, not a shitty one.

Sounds like a plan.

Attached: smughog.png (480x480, 359.74K)

Rolling for stats is retarded in most situations (vidya especially, because people will just scum it). It works well in meat grinder campaigns where characters aren't usually going to last long, that's about it.

I want the 2 autistic Sonyggers on this board to leave

Attached: Feminine cock.jpg (640x428, 46.43K)

I'm not

I'm 29

I'm not a fat fuck with no social skills. I'm a skeleton-mode tard with no social skills

What I love about the industry is that the good stuff does sell. Devs who know fun and have the vision to innovate get their due.

Attached: Computer science.png (3640x2140, 1.42M)

Gamedev class threads are Holla Forums-related you colossal newfag. We've had them for years.

You'll have a hard time redpilling people through rants. Redpill them with good games until they recognize how awful the shit they play is.

I miss when computers weren't a duopoly and exlusively hobbiest machines instead of epik gaming rigs that are easier than lego to build.

They are a joke. Took one out of curiosity when studying CompSci, absolute garbage.
/thread

Attached: trash.png (350x227, 160.59K)

Please tell me this happened years ago and not recently, otherwise that's fucking depressing at how goddamn foolish and shortsighted they are.

That's fucking bizarre, won't most publishers mandate how DLC will be distributed? It's like why we have never seen another DLC release like how Bungie handled Halo 2 map pack DLC in 2005.

if you don't have the autism to study programming on your own then you are a fucking normalfag and do not belong there.

This is now. This is my first semester teaching.

Gamedev classes are useless now anything that is actually going to teach you about video games is going to be infested with socjus. You are better off teaching yourself by actually making shit. You are far more likely to get a job that way as well. Since your portfolio is far more important than anything else when applying for a job. Employers want to see that you can actually make something and manage your time properly. If you have to go to university it's better to just take a straight software engineering degree, if not an animation or graphic design program if you want to get more on the art side.

What's the average age on the ones already considering how they'd like to do DLC? Wondering if maybe they're such youngfags that the sheer bulk of games since they've gotten into them having DLC is normal for them.

I'm honestly not even sure if it's a place for the actual challenged/disabled to be taken care of, or just adults that re paying stupid amounts of money because they want to be treated like the children they were years ago.

As someone that fell for the game dev major meme, this is mostly correct.
This is absolutely correct. Those GDC talks about basically indoctrinating students into the social justice ideology are taken quite seriously by professors. It wasn't too bad before Tropes v. Women became a thing, but they started sliding bullshit into classes, which only intensified once Gamergate rolled around.
Making side projects even as a game dev major is nearly required to have any realistic shot at any jobs within the industry.
Half-correct. A good chunk of getting into game dev requires literally and/or metaphorically sucking the dicks of the right people. There's a reason why cronyism is such a big problem within the industry.
Definitely true on the software engineering side. Pretty much every decent software writer I ever worked with was either a former CS/SE major or had a heavy course load in that field. Plus, you have the added bonus of having general software dev jobs as a backup plan and believe it or not, they're actually easier to get into than game dev jobs. I can't speak for art/animation majors, because I didn't really interact with the ones at my college, and I know how pozzed those fields are in general.

Attached: hmm.png (769x468, 228.38K)

Hypothetically speaking, if some group from here was to make a half-decent indie game within the next 5 years and paid the $100 to put it up on Greenlight, would it get blacklisted or something or would people just ignore it?

The main thing is that the constant value used is completely not obvious to anyone and it's how it's able to do such a fast inverse square root. I wouldn't say "it's the most sophisticated" but it's also obscure as fuck and allows games to do those calculations (mostly for graphics) much more quickly than they normally would.

Also, that screenshot intentionally cut off the comments which actually exist in the source code, which is even funnier. Infamously the comment line next to the constant says "what the fuck?" due to the seemingly completely arbitrary nature of the constant. This is from the Quake 3 engine.

That class was actually one of the most fun for me. It's the same problem solving you use when you're designing algorithms, just with Turing diagrams.

How do you think I know this stuff I fell for the shit as well. I went to one before all the socjus bullshit infested them, however the program was so new it taught me fuck all. Out of my entire graduating class I only know of 2 people who got a job in game dev. 1 as a designer at gameloft and he hates his fucking job. The other one is also working at gameloft but as a producer she is essentially a manager and doesn't use anything she learned.

Most likely the latter. The overwhelming majority of video games get passed on by virtually everyone. If someone of note happens to notice it, the former will likely happen, depending on the content of the game.

I don't even know if anyone I took classes with got a job in game dev, between not keeping communication with any of them and the fact that I never actually graduated due to not being able to secure a software dev job.

>five fucking years for a Computer Science course
What the fuck, at that point why not just go for Computer or Informatics Engineering?

Attached: 763771aaba46841246e9d7a2b4bbfd745d726b5c343c00e1f506491a853bdb5a.jpg (1200x2000, 200.98K)

I have a few people I know that are taking Game Design courses. Awhile back I had a conversation with one because I was just curious about their course load

So what programming language are you learning?
Right, but someone had to build those engines

This, if you want to make games get a career in business or advertising, those are the guys that make the decisions.

Attached: 1410476940466.jpg (500x671, 62.05K)

Good.
More useless beings that will starve to death.

Oh yeah, that's a real popular line of thought, even around here. It amazes me how people are okay with not understanding how things work.

Seems to vary from place to place. Programming was taught right out of the gate in my major, and there were some cases where engines weren't even touched throughout the course.

Attached: i wanna die.png (800x720, 984.18K)

I know enough to write heaps and binary search trees and shit. hire me bro I don't wanna be in school anymore.

Attached: adult-crying-statistics-1024x489.jpg (1024x489, 76.02K)

Oh God, I sorry to hear that user. It sounds like they need a good dose of reality slapped into them.

I'm surprised the let's play "market" hasn't been over saturated yet, I would hope that some of these lads would have a backup job path.
Out of curiosity what was the other 50% of boys want to do for a career?

quotas are just more racist, i hate them so much.

Why aren't you putting together a course on how to become a twitch streamer? You could probably make more money doing that. Pay some of the cheaper whores a bit of money to use their likeness and have them send you an email with a couple tips and market them as super secret information. Show people what they need to buy and send them a link to a page with referral links to the products. Have a QA session on the last day with a local streamer. Make them think it will be a huge eceleb and then wheel out some loser.

>b-but the twist is it has a female protagonist this time so we can corner that market

Attached: p26b401ea44423ba23186bb69ccecc08a228b339b99e02fae59e78f0r.jpg (2000x1307, 366.96K)

Don't they slap the cache's shit almost as much as binary trees one you get past the first few dozen elements?

The first reboot was one of the most garbage, brain dead things I ever played. It was piss easy with uncharted combat. It was more a engine/hair physics demo than an actual game.

The market is over saturated for sure. There are literally millions of hours of content that have single digit views. I'm actually subscribed to some individuals/groups that have been making videos for years, following a consistent schedule, doing the "hot" content, and they still at best get ~1000 views on their most popular video of the month. 99% of all let'splay are completely ignored, and rightfully so.

Attached: blood wizard.webm (640x360 3.87 MB, 5.25M)

What's wrong with Uncharted?

It's the perfect example of ruining thousands of hours of work with a few shitty decisions at the top that turn a majestic looking level, into a retarded sniper city on rails.

How exactly is it one rails?

This.
Anyone in them needs to die.
They are the reason for so many fucking awful plastic feelingless shitboxes of non-games existing.

>>>/reddit/

Attached: 243432f5d292b5d2b56e4d5c9c5d1551b0f06858b4cfc9f7750404733f549dcd_1.gif (320x239, 2.56M)

Attached: tmp_15332-1afa905eaade721fcb96cbbcbf162b9d7538560269df0cd23a23644201dfe07c-538227107.jpg (600x600, 31.21K)

Then who the fuck decides there needs to be a diversity quota?

Have fun being trapped in a dying industry where you are going to be forced to work for a shitty AAA company only to retire 30 years later to start your own company which is going to fail unless you start making meme games

that's super funny

When I took a game design course as an extra (made threads every during every lesson here 2 years ago) for my final work I analyzed every chapter of Half-Life because it was fast to do and churn out pages on.

Anyways - class was filled with people that did not even like video games. Only few and I knew shit or examples that the teacher presented. We had no videos of Extra Faggots. Thank god for that.

Attached: 20160519_125017.jpg (2120x1736 1.38 MB, 2.22M)

I've seen this many times before, but hot damn, does it still piss me off.

Attached: ebin.jpg (800x762, 70.24K)

How old are these kids? Because if they're younger than 14 I can understand it. We all have unrealistic dreams when we're young. I wanted to be a comedian when I was younger Then my hero Chris Farley died and I gave up on it because I'd never get the chance to meet him

Successful streamer isn't even a cool impossible dream like being an astronaut or rockstar. You should convince them to improve the world by becoming school shooters instead, they could even have a shooter deathmatch.

Depends what you're doing it's fine. You can have the most frequently-accessed elements at the top so odds are you'll get a cache hit for example, but that means updating the heap which is a downside.

as much as college diplomas mean fuck all (unless you want to be in the medical field), game dev sounds like a fun class.

As a club with people that know what they're talking about who teach each others? Sure. As a 36k 4 year program with tackled on (((humanity))) electives? Nah.

Holla Forums never disappoints.

Is that fucking yandredev?

Attached: 1471291836703.png (637x637, 180.16K)

lol

Yonger ones seem to be sick of it. Anyone under 16 seems to be relatively aware of the industry problems. Anyone over 16 tends to be a fucking moron up until they hit 21 then the cynicism starts to kick in and they suddenly stop caring about vidya and are more interested in grills. By that point they normally drop out. I teach a lot of ages. I've recently spoken with other specific game schools (so not your average university) and the feels similar there too, we all feel like we're wasting our damn time just baby sitting people who to be fair probably shouldn't be there in the fist place. I'd rather fill the spot with someone who actually wants to GIT GUD instead of wasting my fucking time by telling me how excited they are for X piece of shit game.

Kinda sick of trying. If you people want to be idiots and waste your money, my time and all my energy then by all means what ever. But man is it killing me. I used to do amazing work, but now I'm just sitting around. At least I get paid though so can't complain. But it hurts really bad when I see some idiot AAA studio succeeding where frankly they shouldn't while I'm teaching. It sucks. I'd really like to get out there and kick some ass.

Makes you slightly above libcuck.

Attached: SPACEBALLSTHE.JPG (720x540, 23.92K)

Who the fuck are you quoting?

one of those years is probably internships

Absolutely nothing.