Toaster Thread

Vidya playable on toasters, i'm talking specs like pic related, i'll get started

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1000x887 19.01 KB, 662.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.pcsx2.net/King's_Field:_The_Ancient_City
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

few others that are obvious

Are you looking for something specific? You can just find a cut off point in terms of release date and play anything before that.

Attached: tucker carlson anime.png (256x256, 114.05K)

it can be literally anything, stuck with this for about a year now since no moneys

what if u were a gay and didnot even know it

You can emulate stuff before PS1 and DS for handhelds without much problems.
There are tons of SNES and NES games which received translations recently so you could play those. Take a gander at romhacking to see what interests you.
Two SNES RPG I would recommend to you are Dark Half and Chaos Seed.
For PC take a look at GOG's catalog and pirate anything that you like, your PC could probably run most of the stuff on it. Blood is a fantastic shooter if you haven't played it.

That PC ain't even that bad.
For multiplayer fun in toasters I always recommend Super Mario War, Worms Armageddon, Liero and Little Fighter 2. Ragnarok Battle Offline is amazing, solo or with friends.
With emulators you can get some fun games too like Bomberman.

i play the latest games at specs lower than this at 720p. OP.

I got a system only slightly better - AMD R4 (.5 VRAM) and 8 GB RAM, and can play pretty much everything. It takes a bit of tweaking though.

Tell me, OP, what is to blame for you to still use that?

Attached: 1500427591090.jpg (1920x1080, 100.45K)

I think Ion Maiden should run, if you can run eduke32, that's like the most meme game you can play.

Games for specs related?

Attached: Desktop.jpg (586x594, 48.08K)

Minesweeper and Solitaire, but only on low visual settings.

I guess you could emulate ps2 games maybe?

Ion Maiden runs like shit on my 4ghz, 8GB RAM, 1050ti system.

Hold my beer

Attached: Spec.png (488x434, 32.33K)

HOMM3 Commplete Edition + HD mod
Divine Divinity
Diablo 2
Sim City 4
Baldure Gate 1+2
Nox
Arcanum
Septera Core
Anno 1503
Unreal (the older ones)
Doom
Fuckton of old emulators + psx/n64
sacred 1
cultures
settlers 1+2+3
Emperor of the middle kingdom
Red Alert 2
Ufo A.I
Wesnoth
OpenTTD

Attached: 5ca8fdb579ea727ea31f1ba81002e9c598b7f2c3893c0df9c4571adf2ab012a3.jpg (1750x1306, 1.02M)

Attached: 9f9d995696bef0b041e8e3c84c4d5ffc35af5eb568eab8fc4f3f31d6c5b13cc5.jpg (492x491, 76.85K)

I've emulated PS2 games with the same CPU

Hold mine

Attached: speccy.PNG (674x532, 36.96K)

Sure you have, user.
Ever tried playing Gran Turismo or MGS3? PCSX2 is terribly optimized.

Attached: 1424109762921.png (800x1150, 259.45K)

Attached: my gaming pc.jpg (1080x720, 137.3K)

Games I have fucking loved that I've played on a complete toaster:

Quake - Arcane Dimensions level set
FTL
Super Meat Boy
Into The Breach
Binding of Isaac
Spelunky
Warcraft 3
Starcraft

xpfags assemble

Attached: spexp.png (691x610, 45.99K)

I don't know why speccy gets the Audio part wrong, it's got an X-Fi

Okay, this thread seems like a joke now - but what would you suggest for a true toaster? Like 256 MB Ram and 1000 MHZ CPU.

HOMM 3, I guess, qualifies. RCT 2, Jagged Alliance 2…

Why doesn't anyone maximize performance? Why wouldn't you optimize everything that you do in your life?

Here is an optimized screenshot. This is how Windows 7 should look like. I only use XP in VMs nowadays. Not as much on the Windows machine because it's generally redundant, but sometimes even on that because many old games don't work too well on 7.

Attached: 1.png (1057x767, 629.53K)

But only one of those is worth playing. Do you want general toaster suggestions or only good games?

>>>/reddit/

Speaking of solitaire reminder this is a thing.

Attached: windows-10-hidden-solitaire-fees-100598360-gallery.png (580x393, 100.34K)

Post proof because I can't emulate any worthwhile PS2 games and my hardware is only a little better than yours.

Its literally the most optimized PS2 emulator.

I upgraded from AMD years ago m8.
Go look at PCSX2's wiki and see which game people have been running at a weaker CPU than yours.
Heres a good start
wiki.pcsx2.net/King's_Field:_The_Ancient_City

Many people aren't willing to swallow a turd just because it's the least smelly. Not everyone likes to eat shit, user.

Nice meaningless analogies
Straight from your marxist professors?

There's a chart of non-shit indie games that should be playable, otherwise emulators for 4th gen and earlier should be good. GBA and N64 will also be fine. (My cousin ran an N64 emu years ago on a machine much worse than yours. Performance might vary with games.)
Honestly, I think a lot of games from

Not a good excuse. It's the only PSX2 emulator and it is ’’’shit’’’ when it comes to optimization. It gets worse with every build. A little "secret" partnership they have going with Jewtel and AMD because autists *need* to play PSX2 games on their PC.

RPCS3 emulates PS3 which has a more complex CPU architecture and it is better optimized than PCSX2.. and it's a fucking beta build.

Aren't the new intel graphics chips decent for about anything at this point? I'm guessing there's probably compatibility problems more with older stuff than newer.

cringed at that pic tbh

Let me think of some games I got running/enjoyed that you should be able to run. If you like fun, cartoonish games you could give anything by Ludosity a try. Ittle Dew and Card City Nights are two of my all time favorite games to chill back with. Speaking of my favorite games, have you played the original Deus Ex? That thing will run like butter on anything, and even with my shitty Intel HD 2000 it ran fine with the New Vision texture pack. If you like RTS games, you can try Age of Empires 1 and 2 (you can give the HD remake a try but turn off things like 3D water), Red Alert 1 and 2 (Mental Omega is one of my favorite mods for 2 and is still being updated), Age of Mythology, C&C Generals (play it with Zero Hour and then move on to mods like Shockwave), Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. The original Thief and Hitman games should run fine if you are into stealth games. For shooters, there are the obvious "classics" such as Doom, Duke Nukem, Blood, Hexen, Unreal, Quake, and the like. System Shock 1 and 2 are must plays if you haven't touched them yet. For horror games, gives waxworks a shot. The original FEAR should run well as long as you keep the graphics settings down, but from my own personal experience the game is very cpu intensive. Both Hotline Miami games should run as well. That's off the top of my head for commerical games, you should be able to find most of the ones I mentioned on GOG (head on over to the share thread and find the magnet link for the May 16th GOG dump in the mega archives). I could list more and get into indie/freeware games but I have to go to some welding for a bit. If this thread is still up in 4-5 hours I can list some more and answer any specific questions anybody has.

Serious sam
cave story
audiosurf
diablo 1, 2
deus ex
fallout 1,2
lisa the painful
portl
any doom or build engine game
tyrian.
halo 1,2

Grab bag of lesser-known games:

Flatout 2 (arcadey racing with some destruction and physics)
Etherlords 2 (CCG-like turn based tactics)
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (turn based strategy, Civ-like but focused on combat)
Spellforce 2 (hack n slash / RTS hybrid)
Sega Rally Revo (arcadey rally racing with track deformation)

Attached: Untitled.png (1024x768, 1.05M)

what is your fucking problem? You don't like tits?

DFCDF probably.

Are you fucking retarded? You do realize its open source right? You can literally read what changes get pushed to the build bot after every single one

You are absolutely delusional if you think so. RPCS3 needs a way stronger CPU than PCSX2 ever will.

I need some help from someone that knows how to build PCs.

I need a decently powerful laptop CPU wise that can also last a very long time on battery. Every single new laptop I've found costs a fucking fortune so I was thinking maybe I should buy an older, thinner laptop, and then replace CPU RAM and battery to get it to the point where I want it to be.

I basically want a mac without having to buy a mac
Anybody have any suggestions?

Attached: 77ecc4b7-26a7-4a37-98d9-9f7da3e7f96a.jpg (540x440, 32.26K)

FotM indie garbage.

Fucking (((Microsoft))) up to their jewish tricks as usual.

Ion Maiden is crap.

Don't use a laptop for vidya.

I don't need it for vidya

Wrong. The latest builds have made MGS3 100% stutter-free even during cutscenes with every single original PS2 effect rendered in 4K.

How much is the budget? That would factor in everything else.

Xaomi mi book would be closest to your requirements. Check it out.

Wow how the fuck does this cost so little
Christ even the one with a dedicated graphics card is only 500$

Its chinese. They make the money back by selling your data

I love the future

The only PC I have is an old laptop, but I've used it to successfully test run:
I plan on playing all of them once I'm done with Oblivion.

Addendum: I actually played a lot of Thief Gold, and absolutely loved it, but I stopped because schoolwork was taking up all my time. I plan on going back to that and finishing it first.
Polite sage for double-post.

Why not?

Better idea: Get a computer that isn't pure shit.

Graphics cards haven't been relevant for years.

Papers Please is great it shows the reality of life under communist rule. Despite what everyone believes it's more of a day to day oppression than a get shot in the street one.

I've found myself playing old school runescape and oddly enough several people I know have also returned the game coincidently around the same time. This game runs on any computer nowadays

You've never lived under the poverty line, have you?

Attached: 166c15164882787d3e97b391ef63e13d56767e6a.jpg (508x508, 113.49K)

I picked up some crap Dell recently for free, has 2GB DDR2 RAM, some dual core AMD and a 256GB HDD in it, dumped some old 128MB graphics card in it and a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum I had laying around. Funnily enough it has a blu-ray player in it too. I just dumped Void linux on it and runs pretty smooth. Might use it as a media center for a while though, or just jank out the blu-ray player and put it in my other machine.

The case is pretty nice looking and solid as well, will keep it for a future build.

Like it or not dual cores still preform better for most games.

No. You are wrong.
In 2009, you could play PCSX2 with a core 2 duo and get decent results. That is not possible anymore.

Holy shit. You are one dense prick aren't you?

I guess I disable grass or something.

You call that a fucking toaster? My computer has components that haven't been competitive since 2004.

Attached: 49da2c00715c1eb1d91e9d653825b3fdfffd0f9bad4ec4272bc6eef6c42e6f46.jpg (669x696, 52.42K)

So what build would you say is optimal then? I recently downloaded PCSX2 and it seems to run like shit on my quadcore laptop…whereas my dual-core laptop (read: awhile back) could run most things at 60 FPS.

Have you tried putting a toast in there?

Buying a PS2. It's still the best option, especially considering that the PS2 is the most common console in existence. Get one of those and component or RGB cables and you're good to go. A decent CRT helps. As a bonus, you get two consoles in one, because it's a PS1 as well.

Honestly, PS2 emulation will never be good. As far as software goes, everything is becoming progressively worse as far as optimization goes, programmers in general are trained and required to be incompetent, and the emulator follows the trend. And there isn't as much incentive to emulate it, because everyone already owns a PS2. Emulating the Dreamcast or the Saturn better would certainly be more useful, but it doesn't seem like it will ever happen either.

If they couldn't get this right in such a long time, I doubt that it will ever be perfect. It certainly wouldn't be efficient, and it should be, because this console came out fucking 18 years ago. How hard can this really be? Why shouldn't it work even in computers that are very old now? The console's hardware is almost two decades old. We can emulate entire computers running a shitload of OSs much better than a video game from almost 20 years ago. There is no excuse. Especially if you compare PCSX2 to something like Dolphin. The Nintendo systems tend to get the best emulation for some reason.

Attached: c5035eb7f8b9fd005549ef759ac9800b8f173d79fba69385ad7c4fa2739cd898.jpg (919x720, 56.73K)

Well, I had a nice PS2 awhile back and a Sony CRT (that I had to lug up and down the fucking basement stairwell) and it was wonderful. However, it's 2018 and I am not gonna rebuy all that shit off of the internet when I could just emulate it for free. You're right though and your diatribe is noted. However, I wasn't impressed with the Dolphin Emulator either to be honest. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance had framerate lag down down sub 50% levels.

N64 being the exception to that. Whereas every Nintendo console that came after adopts a simpler architecture compared to something like ps2 or the frankenstein monster sega saturn.

In 2009 PCSX2 defaulted with speedhacks enabled
That doesn't happen now.
You are a tech illiterate faggot, no amount of saging is going to hide the fact that you know fuck all.

I only used Dolphin a little bit, many years ago (and I didn't see anything wrong with it), so I have to take your word on this one. It was certainly a better experience than trying to emulate PS2 games. Very ashamed of admitting this, but I own a Wii, because it's a decent GameCube that allows me to conveniently pirate everything, so I don't need Dolphin at all.

The worst thing about it is that I despise the motion controlled menus, but it's still a good GameCube/N64 (I only use the wiimote for that, and I have to remove the batteries every time after I select the game, since the piece of shit drains them even when it's not on). Mostly used for F-Zero X/GX and the Super Monkey Ball games, nowadays. Also hooked up to my new old Panasonic CRT with a really good screen (compared to my previous TV, that wasn't very good at all and only had composite, which was a terrible combination, but still better than my HDTV), that I got for free.

True. I play N64 games on the Wii. Still think Project64 1.6 is adequate (1.7 is worse), so I still have it here, just in case I want to try something out really quickly. PS1 emulation can also be troublesome (generally minor but really annoying issues here and there that I don't have the patience to attempt to fix anymore), so I play everything on the PS2.

I emulate the vast majority of consoles, but I do own replacements for the more troublesome systems. Got a Dreamcast as well, unfortunately it didn't last (made a replacement for the lid switch, still doesn't work, replaced the laser, still doesn't work). Dreamcasts can be a real pain. Probably not buying a Saturn because I bet that something will break and I will end up with another console that refuses to work.

SSF has been my Saturn emulation for probably more than a decade now, because that's what a guy that I knew used. I should try Yabause, or whatever it's called. Probably should inform myself better in general, because as far as I know, I could even be using an older version.

Compatibility is my biggest issue with Saturn emulation. I play the Saturn Castlevania SotN and Fighters Megamix and games like that a lot on the emulator just fine, but it's a real gamble whether a game will work well enough or not. At least the games that I tried.

Attached: 0547.png (541x283, 348.92K)

N64 emulation on Wii is really awful.
As for Saturn emulation, SSF is one of the best but mednafen also does Saturn now.

Stop being poor. You can buy a decent PC for $500.

F-Zero X is the only wad that I have installed right now, on the Wii. It's the only N64 game that I still play, except for Superman, and I play that occasionally on P64, with the pink sky, and shit. For some reason I enjoy flying through the rings. There is something relaxing about it. One day I will finish it, but the stages that don't have rings tend to bore me and then I stop.

I do have Mednafen, just not on my Windows PC. Never tried to play Saturn games on it for some reason. I guess my brain just automatically assumes that if it's Saturn emulation, then it absolutely has to be shit, so it's filtered out and I barely remember that it's there.

Actually, there are some Saturn ports on the PS2. in case people don't know. The Sega Ages 2500 versions. Torrent that collection. You have to burn them on CDs, though, not DVDs. Wikipedia has a list of all the games in the collection. They are in Japanese only, but it doesn't matter in most cases. I was playing Virtua Fighter 2 more just a few days ago, and even MAME can't emulate it, so that's a good one. Panzer Dragoon is in the collection as well.

MAME is another emulator that deserves some complaints. It doesn't seem to have improved, when it comes to compatibility. Seems like they break more than they add, from what I hear. Still using 0.161. Or maybe I am just wrong and everything works perfectly, and I could be playing Naomi games perfectly on MAME right now.

Attached: 64327.jpg (1127x778, 374.49K)

A decent PC costs at least $1000

That's relative. OPs rig is so fucking bad, that he could literally buy an Intel Atom PC for about 100 bucks and it'll be superior to what he's currently using. If he went with a Ryzen APU and salvaged some of his old parts like his HDD then he could get a solid gaming experience for 500 bucks easy,

What kind of unironic memer are you to play such a shitty game? I mean I heard your post but there's other games where all you do is fly through rings while enjoying the scenery. Try Spyro 3 on PS1 emulated. There's some fun flying levels in that where you go through rings.

A decent PC costs at least $5000

Attached: alienware-graphics-amp.jpg (999x479, 65.09K)

I hear that the Alienware Graphics Amp uses a proprietary connector. With Thunderbolt 3 now being a thing there are generic external PCIe enclosures for laptops now. Don't expect the same speeds as a proper desktop PCie port though because although thunderbolt connections are over PCie, it's still a bottleneck

Am I retarded?

Attached: concern.PNG (690x557, 40.78K)

Consider yourself lucky. What are you currently running for your shit to run so hot?

Also if anybody wants to see my game list just ask. I can run (most) of them on this thing. Much of my entertainment comes from N64, PS1, SNES, NES emulation though. N64 can't use Retroarch however. PS1 can barely but only earlier games and it can only be on Retroarch because it's the only thing that fixes the analog stick deadzone issue for Ape Escape and other dualshock games.

Attached: Screenshot_235.png (457x380, 19.49K)

Yes, yes you are

With that build it's probably all he has. Let's assume this shit is handed down before you pounce on garbage taste. That being said
Probably retarded.

Here's my rig, what can I play?

Attached: my rig.png (665x486, 20.35K)

Pong

Consider NES/SNES emulation or earlier. Most games from before 95.

What I was about to say

I've got CK2 running in the background, and I can't be bothered to reformat to win 7 without updates. I figured it's better to stay here than go to 10 but too tedious to go back to 7

Attached: pajeets elephant.jpg (1680x945, 737.55K)

Just tell me why.

Honestly just the UI for 7 is better in every way. And reformatting is the easy part compared to installing the OS. I can get why you don't want to though. I've been on the verge of dual booting xubuntu with W7 for a while now but It's a bit more than my I3 can stand to practice on a virtual booter to figure it out better.

I really don't know what premium does
It's supposed to give you more coins but I don't know where you can spend said coins
The new version is otherwise pretty good as it has a lot of modes and settings

I don't know what exactly is wrong with me, but I like playing that game sometimes. Pretty damn glitchy too, and that gets pretty funny. Also, I have played Spyro 3. I played the original trilogy back in the day.

A lot of emulators and older PC games. I don't know, just pick something. Go play Diablo, or whatever. That should last a while. Your computer is good enough for a huge quantity of games. Running web browsers and current websites must be the worst, though. Way too bloated.

Since you have never done this before, I will just warn you now. Be careful, dual boots can be dangerous. Windows really likes to fuck up your Linux partitions over time. Do your research. I recommend that you put Windows 7 on a different hard drive. When you install Ubuntu, it gives you that option, but it really shouldn't, because it can ruin your system if you don't know what you're doing. It can also be difficult to undo, if it's all in one HDD, and both OSs will run worse than they would independently.

Learn more before you do it for real.

Attached: 1c9.jpg (850x1138, 228.37K)

I'm not even that literate with computers so I'll probably just run Xubuntu on my laptop before porting my data to my desktop whenever it gets here and running Windows 7 on that.