Over anticipated areas/bosses

For the first time, I finally got to the DLC in Dark Souls, and I must say that I am a little underwhelmed with how not hard it is. Everyone raves about how "unrelenting" and "fast" the bosses are, especially Manus, but I had little to no problems what-so-ever. The most I died was due to those dark mage bitches who spam dark bead. Now keep in mind I am using a strength build with the great club, baulder's armor and Boar helm.
He's fine and I liked his fight. His moveset really sets the mood along with his beginning cutscene, but I didn't find him as difficult as others have. I only died once to him, but that was because I was greedy and went for a hit I shouldn't have.
He's hard hitting and has a couple bullshit moves like that dark magic storm, but otherwise, my fight with him was over FAST. I did him in on my first go around, leaving me almost disappointed because everyone, even the game, kept telling me "this guy is not to fuck around with.
The DLC is good, but it's not as good as I initially thought it would be.

Now my question. Do you have any such scenarios where either people or the game itself hypes up a boss/region to be this ultimate deathtrap where only the most brave or stupid would venture, only to be let down by some reason whether that be because of how easy it was or how empty, etc?

Attached: A knight and his doggo.jpg (1811x1080 385.27 KB, 1.17M)

Pretty much every single part of every game that normalfags call "hard".

With the exception of some JRPGs, but they don't really play those.

Attached: DAIMON.png (772x1038, 2.3M)

Not so much an ultimate challenge or deathtrap, but for some reason everyone kept bitching about the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time and how tough it was to figure out, but I honestly didn't have any trouble with it. As far as I could remember I actually got through that dungeon as fat as or faster than most of the other dungeons.

That's the end boss from Dragon's Dogma DLC, right? Can't you one shot that guy with an explosive powder?

The so-called "Barrel of Doom" is considered the worst thing in the entire game, and when I finally got around to playing Sonic 3 it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Figuring out where to go and what I was supposed to do in Act 1 gave me far more trouble, but in that case I was playing like an idiot.
I've also been avoiding Dark Souls because I actually love hard games, and journalists comparing every single remotely hard game as "The Dark Souls of X" makes it seem harder than it probably is. It's this hype and this reputation that makes me wary that it'll be incredibly underwhelming as a result.

Attached: the barrel.jpg (640x480, 321.59K)

I wouldn't say that Dark Souls is hard. It's hard if you don't give it your 100 and fuck around too much. It's a definite play if you like action "rpgs" it's not really an rpg, it's mostly a 3rd person tactical action game
If you want a game with pure, raw gameplay, the Souls games are the way to go, especially in this movie game hell we have now.

Everyone who appreciates video games even if they are normalfag has played loads of JRPGs. I've got a normalfag friend who I've known all my life and even he has played many JRPGs when he was a kid and appreciated them.

The problem with the barrel is horrible conveyance. Nothing earlier in the game or even the entire series really sets you up to expect you can control things with up and down on the D-pad. What really made it confusing was that it starts to bounce when you jump on it, giving a red herring that causes people to think they're supposed to bounce it down.

Came here to say this.

Still an obnoxious dungeon but really is a product of the time it was made in. I didn't beat OoT myself when I was younger, so I played the game myself well after the years. The difficulty of the Water Temple is very understandable of the time it was made in and for those who were likely kids and had to deal with that with one of gaming's earliest 3D games, but now in current year it's much more straight forward then people give credit for. As long as you remember the rooms you have and haven't gone through it's very easy to know which level the water should be at and you go from there.

Attached: 4f1cfc7bd98feb40fde9b41fbf27b8a1.jpg (1000x935, 1.01M)

The water temple was my favorite dungeon, because the color blue is cool, and Dark Link is badass, and the long shot was my favorite item.
I didn't realize it was supposedly this insurmountable until years later.

Attached: Smug Dark Link.jpg (736x428, 38.78K)

The reputation of the water temple isn't that it's hard, more like it's tedious. Lots of backtracking, having to go to the menu to equip the metal boots too often, and if you make the wrong decision about the water level, it just earns you more inane busywork.
But anons pretend it was crying about difficulty because then the silly normalfags can be mocked.

Sonic Jam remixes the game so that you cannot use your Dpad to move the barrels and must bounce on them instead.

wut

Am I wrong on the game? I've only seen that design briefly in DD:A. But anyways, the last boss of the DLC is a pushover and you can kill him in one or two shots with explosive powder or arrows or something like that.

No idea what you're talking about and it absolutely depends on your level.

Okay, now try that again in 1993 as a preteen with no internet.

I think I understand what you're talking about now. You're talking about phase 1, I think. Yeah if you have a good bow and are reasonably leveled you just shoot his head until he's dead, but in p2 if you're not properly leveled and equipped then he is practically invincible. I remember on my mystic knight I did almost 0 damage to him in p2 with holy enchanted magic canon. Later on when i Was higher level I went back and stacked all of the consumes that increase spell damage and fucked him up pretty good with triple stacked canon.

Did you fight the dragon? He's supposed to be the most difficult.

Attached: black-dragon-kalameet-large.jpg (600x338, 64.84K)

He has a lot of health but his moves have super obvious wind ups and it's really easy to bait the ones that leave him open. It can just take a while to kill him if you're not minmaxed to fuck

I have not got to Kalameet yet, but from what I've seen, his attacks are more telegraphed than even Gwyn who have zero wind up on his rapid combo. Gwyn is also incredibly easy, but I died to him more times than I died in the DLC combined

*has

Amygdala in Bloodborne. After seeing them hanging on building, shooting lasers, lifting you (if you're slow or just want to see what happens) into the air with magic powers and toss you around… These guys were inspired by the eldritch horrors of Lovecraft… I dreaded having to fight one as a boss battle.

A boss battle that, rather than being an epic cosmic showdown, literally ended up with me just running up and kicking him in the dick a few times. He did try to do this kind of jump-smash move that was easy to dodge and left his head in prime striking distance. So I landed a heavy attack to his face, then went back to kicking him in the dick.

Attached: Bloodborne-15.jpg (1600x900, 552.85K)

If it's too easy, then lower your lvl and use shittier equips.

The thing is, people kept telling me that using slow hitting weapons in the dlc was a near death sentence. So I went and used the great club because I fucking do what I want. I then proceeded to stomp the main bosses and pancaked all of the enemies in my path. I even looked up the recommended level to see if I might have overleveled, but I was 30 under the rec lvl.

Every enemy and boss in that game became a joke after I started using the greatsword.
That thrusting attack that it has seriously just fucking obliterates every enemy I come across.
I just recently anally raped Ebrietas by hanging from the back while constatly dealing charged attacks in greatsword mode meanwhile the dude I summoned got his ass beat from the front.

It was a mistake to use the basic saw weapon for so long, everything took so much longer and much more effort to kill back when I used that weapon.

Attached: guts wants more guts.jpg (587x437, 109.72K)

He can one shot you with his cosmic fire breath which makes him a bit of a pain, also that first guardian boss you fight, if you go back again there are 2 of them waiting for you.

Do the 2 guardians drop anything unique? I know cutting their tail off gives you a shitty whip. Can you cut Kalameet's tail off like the other dragons?

Attached: KazumaKaneko-Matador.jpg (1000x1281, 117.58K)

No, just the tail and boss soul.
Yes, you get the Obsidian Great sword if cut it off.

Regular Amygdala ain't hard at all. Defiled Amygdala will make your asshole look like the front part of a blowhorn.

1) You where likely over leveled
2) the DLC bosses from DkS3 are way harder then Artorias and Manus
3) "Over Anticipation" might be due to the fact that you are 7 years late to the party.

I don't think its the Greatsword per say but rather that its easy to snowball and become overpowered if you run chalice dungeons making the second half easy.
sage for double post

Matador was so overhyped when I encountered him with fairy, shikigami and a kodama and got destroyed by andalucia, I assumed the hype was real.
I came back with uzume, a goat with suku, and something with taru then proceeded to two-shot him, kind of disappointing.

Easily the hardest part of the DLC (with melee) if he doesn't feel like co-operating.

He probably wasn't overlevelled, but probably did have a focused build and not a mixed, messy character that someone playing blind might have.

bullshit, that build is a specific tactic that is an overpowered exploit of the systems otherwise Daimon is tough as balls. But the thing I think people forget is that the first run is not the true final form of Daimon. You have to complete Bitterblack Isle dungeon twice and his second form is really difficult.

Attached: true form.jpg (1920x1080, 209.76K)

Was it really so difficult? I don't remember well but, I seem to recall that it wasn't very aggressive, just tedious for melee since only his torso was vulnerable to any decent damage and he could cast immolation and maybe do a grab move or something?
A lot of other enemies would be much more difficult if they were scaled up to have the same health and damage as dragon daimon, simply due to being more aggressive.

then replay the boss. You might have gotten lucky.

The first time I did Dark Souls DLC, the chimera took me hours and ended up being my favourite fight in the game. Playing again last year I breezed through everything.
Daimon I didn't get to because it stopped being fun when I hit the last (3rd?) section of BBI and it had 3 of those dog bosses in the first room along with other enemies. I couldn't have killed one of them by itself.

Do you remember what recommended level people were giving? Just curious.

I went in about 65,70 and people kept saying that I should go in at around 80-100. They might have been underestimating my build or just overstating the difficulty of the area. I had only beat up to Seeth in the main game on that character so I could get the broken pendant. I can't show the stats for the character now because I am in NG+ and I leveled up to 90.

What. I went in with an absolute shit build that was invested in nearly every stat at level ~65 since I played the DLC nearly a decade after playing it on PC, I certainly didn't find the DLC easy, but it was perfectly manageable if a little bit tedious. 85-100 is ridiculously high unless you've literally dumped 30 levels into resistance. For a decent build, by someone that's familiar with the game, 40~60 is already plenty.

>decade after playing it on ps3

The entire last half of the game was a breeze for me, because I kept doing PvP until I was level 80. I didn't even intend to completely break the game. I was just having fun with PvP until suddenly I was 2-3x the level I was suppose to be.

Attached: bca3a448d4aa3f31110003c894a939e2f0fca097721057a39621aea048ccbcb0.jpg (1000x1080, 457.91K)

Nothing in DS1 is hard if you know what you're doing, the only way to make it somewhat challenging is doing an SL1 run. And even then decent reflexes and good knowledge of how the game works makes it not even close to as "impossible" as normalfags make the game sound.
SL1 runs are highly recommended if you want fun, though. Especially for you, considering you're not feeling challenged at all.

Recommended levels for Dark Souls 1 were generally given under the assumption that you went in blind and didn't know anything about the series and how to make a good character, like most people who got to play it when it just came out for PC.

Dark Souls 1 is mostly hard because it fails to explain its mechanics tbh.

Matador is essentially just the Press Turn tutorial, he's only difficult if you have no idea how the combat mechanics in Nocturne work.

I'd say something similar about Ouroboros and Demon Co-op, but his second phase is actually pretty tough, it gets an appropriate amount of hype.

Attached: 1482125-ouroboros.jpg (749x960, 79.69K)

I'm not sure what you mean, Phil.

Attached: dark_souls_equipping_items_is_hard.webm (400x225, 7.89M)

I found first form of daimon to be fairly hard, but for second form I had a top tier sword on my warrior and beat the shit out of him in like a minute or two. Maybe arcs are just OP when well aimed.

I pity the people who got overhyped on the Ocean House Hotel in Vampire Bloodlines, hearing about how scary it is, and wonder after beating it what was the big deal

Attached: Ocean_house_hotel.jpg (800x640, 44.78K)

IIRC I beat one of his phases by draining his MP so much that he stopped being able to use most of his attacks. Or at least I did that to one of the bosses in that game, but I recall it being him

I never even got that far I dumped it so early on. I just couldn't stand the joke of a combat system or the constant edgyness of the setting.

I was actually scared running through the basement part I don't like dark basements, especially those that are haunted by spoops

Nah

The hard bosses from that DLC aren't the main event, they're the optional final fantasy ones

This.

DD is never hard because it's fair, the worst thing about the game is the balance

As much as I love his dialogue, the battle itself is barely a battle.

Attached: Dagoth_Ur_Character.png (600x1000, 959.66K)

That's because he only wants to befriend you.