CURRENT YEAR edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR MAY 5TH
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Attached: current_year_coding.jpg (500x500 90.38 KB, 14.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/zhdx5e.mp3
newretrowave.bandcamp.com/track/cold
8ch.net/claim.html:
sys.8ch.net/log.php?board=agdg
8agdg.wikidot.com/dxrs
picosong.com/wYA5B/
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/FastFace/tags
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/FastFace/wikis/home
youtu.be/0sgQOBJrPnI
github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/14926
dsvolition.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SR_Undercover_GDD.pdf
picosong.com/wYBSh/
picosong.com/wYAUA/
youtu.be/6oxBfKi2dS8
latkin.org/blog/2014/11/09/a-simple-benchmark-of-various-math-operations/
stackoverflow.com/questions/1528727/why-is-sse-scalar-sqrtx-slower-than-rsqrtx-x
github.com/imneme/pcg-cpp
youtube.com/watch?v=AdDbbzuq1vY)
instil.co/2016/03/21/parallelism-on-a-single-core-simd-with-c/
javaworld.com/article/2150208/java-language/a-case-for-keeping-primitives-in-java.html
hastebin.com/owenoxevoc.cs
hastebin.com/etipekesiq.cs
youtube.com/watch?v=A7xcmDeIoLY
github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/9656
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 28616685_10160084151915634_2872390471775953427_o.jpg (1500x1000, 190.38K)

I spent a week or so, on and off, writing a song, after not doing it for a while. Spent three hours rendering it, too, because it bloody failed the first time.
Pls rate.
files.catbox.moe/zhdx5e.mp3

Attached: dca8cbcba5141df36cf58b9e1db502092dd9175381c2e248dfe2e9eaf6cb2427.png (438x420, 219.4K)

Attached: 1614f0c8f12a595d3bb7d35c70116a373c64413a4c18909dc2af7be68b7878ee.gif (326x354, 7.62M)

People can shit on my games all they want but nobody can say that his game is better

Attached: the future of sigma engine.png (493x383, 22.65K)

can we get some more context on the image

Attached: 1466361013047.png (290x265, 75.45K)

Talking to my friend when he was drunk, it doesn't mean anything since we were just joking around

Reminder that he had rich parents who's money he used to pay people to make it for him.

I do but at the cost of my freetime

It wasn't always like this and I cant tell if things are better or worse

release your games, faggots

Attached: 455aa71404f92513b9a4cd80962cbb7f6e9d117d155cff6fa33f41b0dda9f54d.jpg (640x432, 35.22K)

He paid contractors to make his pile of shit. We're working for free and we're actually putting effort in.

Anyone got any good Godot tutorials? I finished up the documentation and want something more. Obviously I can search but I'd rather have one user-recommended.

Attached: trump_ten_steps_for_motivation_files.webm (1280x720, 8.26M)

This one's pretty good, not sure how to slow it down though

Could use more *cowbell

The >>>/agdg/ board got spammed, why a hundred threads can be posted using the exact same image and not get picked up by basic spam detection doesn't make any sense.

You must be mistaken, she was kicked out by her abusive parents because of her LGTBQIAA status and became homeless as a child. She's been estranged from them ever since.

Attached: 623a98db37907df7598b81e0c6d33a3e410660e33a2b76ebedf8dd22eb29d49c.png (554x400, 86.99K)

>The >>>/agdg/ board got spammed, why a hundred threads can be posted using the exact same image and not get picked up by basic spam detection doesn't make any sense.
Didn't that pickle guy do it before too?

Was this caused by some failed gamedev?
It doesn't exactly make sense for anybody to spam /agdg/ board.

That's…actually surprisingly relevant. Thank you, user.
Ok, anyone got any good Godot game engine tutorials, specifically anything JRPG geared?

Attached: 66dd10c00a8ff16275626bebf8570ab2ab542d3a6ea6c24fa54cb36b66eeb9f4.png (268x320, 130.75K)

My hardrives fried. My leaf instincts tells me to say: "I'm sorry user."
I boot a linux live-cd just to post

Should i show you my patreon? :^)
Maybe it will have more than one backer one day

Attached: this kills the kate.gif (478x360, 1.36M)

I'll try to be helpful, but please bear in mind that firstly, I'm not a musician and secondly, that personal taste may play a role in this and I can't say to which degree.
Here we go.

00:00 - 00:13: Sounds really good. It has a sort of dramatic and melancholic feel to it.
00:13 - 00:49: Is okay, but nothing special. Its melody is just kinda there.
00:49 - 01:49: Continues the above, although the strings in the background help, if only a little bit. There is nothing wrong with it from a technical point of view. It's not like it's uncomfortable to listen to, because it's badly made or anything. It's just bland, not memorable. It's a generic tune.
01:49 - 02:15: It's difficult for me to find the words for it. I think that drum solo kind of lacks "power". And I don't mean that you should make it faster, but the sound of the drums themselves. They should have more "impact". Listen to this song: newretrowave.bandcamp.com/track/cold
I think drums like these would sound better, although it's difficult to imagine what your melody would sound like with them.
(Also the strings starting near the end of this part are too silent. At first I though they were a glitch.)
02:15 - 04:54: Same as earlier. Nothing really wrong with it, but it doesn't grab me, if you know what I mean.

Overall I'd say that it's technically competent, but lacking in soul.

Attached: 26f29ce01dbe3b00bb06b2fa406eb977c0a765554afb32ec410b28b84b8e92e8.gif (427x240, 735.32K)

I already have my cooking/faerie demo on steam, it is free and it is objectively better than that tranny shit

Attached: smug nene.jpg (897x869, 58.45K)

I have the player input being detected by a controller on the scene tree, which is sent to a Puppet node extending from the controller. Tree and root in Godot have yet to entirely make sense to me yet.

no gamedev today, or yesterday, or the day before
only haskell now

Is this only happening on /agdg/ board or are their other boards being spammed as well?

i bet its rust dev , i fucking hate that guy

Why would it be me? Relax your anus, I got better things to do.

Gathering more feedback for animu stalkan game.
Should I go for Escape From Tarkov levels of autistic weapon modding/building? In which you can go full retard tacticool or even make a gun by gathering all the separate pieces. Is this a good or terrible idea to attempt as a one-man effort?

Attached: autism.jpg (850x1133 143.7 KB, 142.7K)

reddit shoo shoo

Depends on if you think it's gonna add to the game. I find oftentimes modding does very little for actual gameplay beyond just fucking up balance of the game.

For a one man project I wouldn't recommend it. Do you know how quickly you can model, rig, and texture a gun?

That's probably a good point. Probably why most games don't take it further than scopes, suppressors, etc.

I can model things quickly, I've never done texturing and I've done minimal rigging. I have a good background knowledge on art so I don't think learning texturing would take very long, probably only building rigs that'd cause me trouble.

Attached: 4f327b9cc432c84874ec0d460ec49bf608487243c5676acb6ffa99ecbca3bc49.jpg (1024x1200, 140.9K)

it is done. The fickle prick menace is gone.

New threads have been limited to 2 per hour. After work I'll fiddle with the board options. Any suggestions/ideas for future developments? It would be fun for the board not to be as dead as it became.

But hey I have music incoming at least

yeah, off yourself, this would have been prevented if you were anything but completely retarded

But I just claimed the board

oh, good job, keep it up

I'm making a spiritual Banjo reboot.
Yooka-Laylee sucked.
See you all in a while.

Attached: 200.gif (316x200, 494.08K)

you aren't coming back, are you

you're right.

Attached: Yooka-Laylee Is A Failure In Almost Every Way [SSFF] A.webm (426x240, 14.75M)

Attached: Yooka-Laylee Is A Failure In Almost Every Way [SSFF] B.webm (426x240, 15.36M)

RIP

I'm not sure what's missing. It's not a matter of total musical ineptitude, as I'm already an okay-ish singer, and have been for a long time.

Attached: 5433bb25408770dac2a7b786d56ca1da.png (366x600, 186.29K)

Attached: practice.jpg (1000x669, 520.86K)

Any good resources for working with mobiles? I've got a really great idea but it'd be nice to have some sort of framework for developing it, though I don't mind getting all gritty with the code.

mobiles? are you talking about phones?

Since I'm working on a 3D platformer too, I want to ask: why Banjo of all games? It's one of the most mediocre platformer of the era, or at least I've always felt so. Why is every indiefag obsessed with bloody Banjo?

I've been going through a bunch of platformers in my spare time, mostly the "big" ones. Gone through the original Crash and Spyro trilogies, Conker, most Marios and Banjo, and aside from Click Clock Wood being kind of a cool level, I didn't see any notes worth taking from that game.

Attached: 0d32e9a9e79f809f91e56d9794283713.jpeg (400x400, 58.99K)

(Trips of Truth)
I know you're right, but it I don't know exactly what it is that I need to practice.

A large amount of it is just natural lemming behavior, which is perfectly healthy

Honestly out of the games you've mentioned only Mario really does platforming right. The platforming in other games often boils down to specific jumping and running sections; a group of structured platforms you are meant to navigate from one end of a pillar to another. The freedom of motion is something platformers really struggles with.
But what Banjo Kazooie does well…
Generally speaking it was just a fun world to play around in. I actually found Tooie to be less fun overall because it relied to heavy on 'pop balloon' style minigames and had too much point-and-click style 'figure out where this thing goes' and 'how do I get to that thing?' rather than actual gameplay. But even Banjo Kazooie doesn't deliver platforming freedom like Mario.

It's called rhythm, knowledge, and muscle memory.

Expect it to take roughly 8 years before you do something that is any good. Expect to enjoy striving anyway.

(checked)
I will agree that Banjo's worlds are definitely the strongest part of the game. I always found that looking around at where I could go was more fun than actually getting there.
As for the points on control, I think that, for the most part, I've addressed all of them in my control scheme. it's in ideaguy form right now, everything is still very early, I'll have to see how it works in practice and if it's fun. Same with the last point on content, but again, not sure if I can come up with enough interesting level ideas to justify having as much content as I do planned now.

Well one of the things Banjo did well was allow you to reuse abilities. Not 100% great, as they mostly just had egg shooting and the slam ability, but it can help to try and think up two ways to get through a problem with the tools you have, or thinking up different ways to use a tool and then implementing them scattered throughout.
But I'm probably just saying stuff you know.

the bar constantly being lowered is the worst thing that could have happened to gamedev

Attached: image.png (1920x1080 1.03 MB, 1.41M)

at least we'll get a short break where they all look like this

Attached: image.png (1200x630, 1.29M)

I'm seriously considering to make a shit game just with UE free assets and sell it, then use the money as investment for a better game.

Attached: 2c2f4e1fdb38311486d085f920ca93582c118992f657a53f6e4e25bc2a4edbd1.jpg (480x480, 36.81K)

until recently I thought that image was from Jojo
I figured the gun coming out of the ramen was a stand

90% of the non-script assets in my current project are random free shit i find on the asset store
even my character+animations are free mixamo generated fbx files

There's still spam in some of the board's threads. They're all gibberish and they don't have the Rick and Morty pickle.

(checked)
A gun coming out of ramen might be a little too crazy even for Jojo. who am i kidding, you might be right

Mixamo has free stuff? Since when?

(Checked)
What do you mean by "any good?" Literal children can play instruments well enough that it's at least not annoying to hear. I don't even have that yet.
I know, but it's the same as any skill, where there's an initial hump that's just frustrating and not fun at all until you get the very basics down. Programming was the same way.

always? you go to mixamo.com and there's like 2000 free animations there (half of which are mostly just single frame poses)
you could retarged the animations in unity/unreal, but in my case i'm already using their characters so i'm i just do that in their site
they have characters too, although the way it's designed you're supposed to use Fuse to generate your own character
downside is that right now adobe owns it, has removed a number of functionalities that were tied to the site and they've openly stated that they have no plans for development
i DO NOT recommend using fuse to generate characters, they're kind of high poly, and as usual their site removed the function to reduce poly count without fucking with UVs/Bone weights
right now mixamo is only good for the tons of free animations
make your own character in fuse/modelling progrem using the mixamo rig, upload it to their site and download animations directly mapped to that fbx

Attached: mixamo.png (1342x661, 290.91K)

he's back. Well, I'll have to remove this whenever I find time. Someone will get bored. we will make it. Love you guys.

Teamdude here

Now not only i have to motivate myself, but must motivate my team after the spring break because they're not gonna feel like working on the project, i won't as well but… GRFSFSDLJKAFLKJ MUH GAME MUST FINISH

That's why you should commission pajeets to work on your game than paying for an employees.

nigger why do you think it's so hard to keep them motivated? good think i'll get my hands on some money soon

Attached: Qualityhaha.png (794x874, 441.93K)

That sounds illegal

That's odd, i could swear when i looked into maximo nothing was free, maybe they changed it after they got bought by Adobe. Anyways thanks for the info.

I've been wondering if there is any framework for rpg maker alike games
folks wanted to make a vh remake, and godot would be a good fit

its good to see some of us have money at least
I've been wondering about putting a bitcoin donation wallet on my project
I can't stand for patreon shit or similar, but I could do with some tips

that nice, I'm always surprised at how trump is actually much smarter than he lets off
or just really good at speech

That's how it usually goes. Even Obama was incredibly intelligent, most likely thanks to his European blood.

Nvidia RTX just kind of makes me want to die.
Why do anything technical when large corporations have near-infinite R&D budgets and then everything you work on becomes entirely deprecated by the presence of raytracing accelerators? While I'm excited for the accelerator itself(300 Mray/s with 100k polys on non-coherent workloads would be a dream), I'm stuck waiting for APIs that simply don't exist (cross-platform raytracing)for hardware that ultimately probably will enable more vendor lock-in for NVIDIA, even further killing the non-existent competition from AMD(I use a 980 Ti, so it's not like I have anything to complain about here(oh yeah I'll have to buy a new card)). Here's to hoping we get an OpenGL-like API on Linux for this sometime soon, and I'm not stuck behind CUDA bullshit.
Innovation is surprisingly demotivating.

we're a decade off consoles even considering ray tracing

I really don't do anything for monetary reasons, so why develop for consoles. My work is simply of an academic(pardon my pretentiousness) nature.

consoles are fun to work with because you can hack the shit out of one specific piece of hardware, rather than spending thousands of hours making sure it runs on every operating system, along with every single possible hardware configuration imaginable. It's just nice to be able to know that what you have will run like this for everyone. no one here is in it for the money, everyone here expects to fail but tries anyway

Jormungand?

I think it'd be interesting to get to mess around with the unique features of the Switch. Sadly, you need to have a game to actually even get the chance, but the Joycons have a lot of neato features that could be used in curious ways, even if it's small touches or easter eggs.

In Kirby Star Allies, the last stage, there's a moment where they use the HD rumble at different speeds to play the Green Greens theme

Attached: Kirby Star Allies Secret Final Level 2 Player Co-Op Joy-Con Easter Egg_2.mp4 (1280x720, 14.5M)

I've rewritten the news/meta thread over /agdg/

>>>/agdg/29079
Feel free to chime in and apply.
I'd really love to reanimate our board, though the threads are where my heart will always be.

I laffed.

y thou?

Attached: ytho.gif (500x281, 1.36M)

I'm interested in that, but there's no process for it outlined. Just send an email?

Play them, faggot. Blinx is also worth trying if you can find an OG Xbox and Psychonauts is a good reference on mixing adventure game elements with a 3D platformer. if you pirate it, of course.

It's from Ansatsu Kyoushitsu

Sasha's hair almost done, need to make adjustments

I wonder what could i use for head ornaments, she will be kind of a tomboy, so no bows/tiaras

Attached: sasha face.png (1000x770 83.92 KB, 241.42K)

A simple hair clip should do, just have it be with an emblem or symbol of something she's into.

Give us an email to apply for vol positions. What were the rules behind the claim system again, anyway? If the board owner doesn't log in for a month or no one including the vols for X weeks or something like that, right?

What the fuck

Disregard, missed the email in the edited welcome thread.

flat cap

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (400x247, 131.63K)

huuuummm could work

Writing up the game design document for animu stalkan game is going well. I'm not doing any coding or asset production right now because my day job shortchanged my hours earlier this month. So I have to cram in overtime on this end of the month to pay my bills.
Should I take a page from Stalker's book and have multiple open areas linked together, or should I just go for a small scale open world? The comparison in my head is Shadow of Chernobyl's version of The Zone or a shrunk version of PU's Memegrounds Erangel map.

Attached: Memegrounds-Erangel.jpg (800x1000 208.53 KB, 471.12K)

That thing isn't flat at all.
polite sage

whatever you do make sure the anomalies are dynamic

The former is infinitely less work. If your game is a sandbox, make it open world. If your game has a somewhat linear progression of set pieces, don't. You'll waste a lot of time on parts of the world the player might not even see. There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but you'll already have your hands full with the game itself. Focus on the things that matter.

cos pretty cool anons are over there and I personally can't imagine how my anonymous dev-only account can be used to sell me shit.

yeah, just send some proof that you are an actual dev I'd know

agdg@Holla Forums.co,[email protected] or a private message on the botnet channel

from 8ch.net/claim.html:

sys.8ch.net/log.php?board=agdg
The board didn't have proper moderation in months

I won't delete a shitty opinion just because it's shit. also it's like a year old, ignore it

cool, I might apply, not really to moderate anything, but the ability to take care of your own threads,
and of course keep the board clean of blatant spam

hum that's kinda short time considering how slow some boards are, but granted several months is another case

glad you won't, maybe un-sticky it

I mean the voice actor is Dio

Attached: How to make ramen.webm (1920x1080, 1.46M)

Maybe next time, then. I haven't posted about my game because I wanted a working demo to be the first showing. Hopefully this coming demo day will be that time.

the 3rd image got me micronostalgic for rust Legacy

well, try me. if you are a frequent poster, a bell might ring.

While some people may call the game shit, the gunsmith system in GRFS was almost as detailed and seemed to have actual impact on weapon stats. Their level of autism actually had them model each screw and I'd discourage that but unless an attachment makes a difference to the way a gun handles, I wouldn't do it. Check my on-hiatus project on the wiki for some inspiration, if you care. 8agdg.wikidot.com/dxrs

My negro. I read Blindsight the other week and really enjoyed it.

So I'm aiming for a low poly style, similar to a lot of DS games where most of the detail is stored in texture work. However, modern hardware can obviously render far more detail than hardware like that. My question is, should I implement optimization techniques (mainly using lower poly models and sprites at a distance) in a similar way to those games? Or should I aim to keep the game looking better and instead use these techniques only in more demanding areas and at great distances? In other words, should I emulate the performance limitations of that time as well, or should I take more advantage of modern hardware?

Attached: 88a47011e27d2623555f85c69aa95d1f080ab2f5e652084fab6a8a823affb998.png (1000x1000, 531.22K)

You should be using lower poly models at a distance anyway, not just to emulate that style.
I'd say don't use sprites unless you need to for real performance reasons. The DS had a much smaller screen size and screen resolution than a TV or computer monitor, so it could more easily get away with that.

Imitating things just for the sake of it is not a good idea. Ideally you should do a small test to determine whether those optimization techniques are necessary or irrelevant.to achieve the style and feel you're aiming for.

What engine? If you're using something like Unity, trying to imitate DS-tier hardware limitations is ridiculous and insulting when the engine's overhead is so high.

Emulating old school limitations is good when it helps to set a style. Something like aggressive LOD probably wont work towards that.

I've played music for 16 years and here's my advice: join a band. You're probably not gonna find the discipline to practice by yourself and even if you do, you'll probably develop all sorts of weird quirks that will make you sound bad. Having other ears to tell you when you're doing it wrong is indispensible, but more important is having a routine. If you're in a band, you'll probably have weekly rehearsals during the evening for 2-3 hours. Being accountable to other people will stop you from slacking. This is the only way to actually learn music in my experience. Make sure you're playing with people who know they're amateurs and are content with that. You don't want to have to put up with tryhards that think the can "make it" if you all just pull toghether. They'll demand you sacrifice all your spare time and maybe even quitting your day job (assuming you have one). Go with people who are simply content making music for the sake of it and perform every now and then for free. Also, don't restrict yourself when it comes to genre. Guitarr and keyboard usually leans heavily towards rock/metal, but you could also join a big band that plays a lot of funk. Maybe there's a gospel choir that could use someone playing electric pipe organ (i.e. keyboard with a pipe organ sound font). Best way to find out is to look around at places where people gather. Pubs, churches, theatres, any sort of culture-related building. Then, just put your heart into it.

I'm pretty autistic about saving performance, so it was certainly a plan, just wondering at one point it becomes redundant and unnecessary.

I suppose. That's mainly what I'm wondering about. How faithful is too faithful?

My own.

Make sure to implement a good LOD system and culling (at least frustum culling). That'll make your game faster.

If it's your own engine you can definitely pull it off. I would go for the proper authentic optimization techniques, instead of trying to add twists onto it which in the end make the game waste performance and still have the lower graphics without a totally authentic scene.

I don't think that a lot of people understand that the engine's rendering techniques were why certain old games have their aesthetic, and try and put the old assets into a modern renderer, where it looks like shit when it comes out.

Hard to foresee. That's something you can really only tell by making a visual prototype. But generally, if it makes the game look shitty, hurts the gameplay, or takes too much effort without a good enough payoff, it is too faithful.

Certainly on the list, thank you.

I suppose I'll have to work and see. I know that, at the very least, that lighting is a big part of it, though I can't say I know yet what good lighting would look like, per se.

Yes, it's as I thought. That's moreso the answer I was going for, certainly don't want it to look like crap. It's why I asked in the first place. Well, I'll see as I go along, and ask again once I have something to show for it.

Thank you all kindly.

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I happen know a few people who always talk about getting together to play instruments just for fun, and then never plan anything, so maybe I'll try to actually make it happen.

Here is a tip for the LOD system: don't make it distance based, as it was in old games. If you use the same distances for LOD switching, you will have either pop-in on big objects, or render unnecessarily high LODs on small ones. Fixing that will require per object adjustments, which is a huge waste of time.
UE4 uses a nifty trick to give you really reliable default values. The LOD switching isn't distance based, but uses what they call "Screen Size". So the LOD is chosen based on how big the object will be on your screen. This obviously results in far away objects being reduced in LOD, but it has the added bonus of ensuring that small objects have their details reduced earlier, while big ones maintain them at a distance.
A fast heuristic for that would be to use the angular diameter (or even better, the angular radius). To make that work, you'll need the bounding sphere of your object (obviously precomputed and stored along with the AABB), the distance to the camera and a simple formula.
Good luck with your game.

Attached: 607e14af136a42a887c252fc0f6af96185d552d651edd09e434a63e1f97b3584.jpg (875x700, 58.26K)

If you make the guns modifiable then try to make the modifications count. Basically make sure they affect the gameplay. If they don't then don't bother adding them in.

That really depends on how big of an area you want to cover. If you're looking at an area that would only be technically a few miles or kilometers, break it up into a bunch of smaller areas like they did in Stalker. That way it will seem bigger than it is. But don't do the bullshit like, "Here is a region that is the size of a back yard, enjoy."

If you want to cover a lot of space, then make it one open world. That way you can shrink down the size of places and only have the really important stuff left over. Cram it all together and there you have a "seemless open world." The drawbacks, aside from the amount of shit you have to do in order to get that to work, is just how big the open world will be? Then you will run into the issue of "Where does the game world end?" Then you gotta make barriers that aren't stupid shit like a fence or invisible wall. You ill want to work out how the game setting is different than irl Then you gotta find a "plausible," excuse to keep the game world confined to the area that the player is in. In Stalker it was the Zone and going in a straight line on the map through the Zone was not easy by any normal means. Hence the isolation of the setting resulting in a lot of cool shit being "plausible." In a game like WoW, where the world is technically open, you get things that don't make sense. Little things like the geography of a region and the contrast it makes with the region next-door. Ideally, they all make sense on a individual level, but when its all together, you get a cluster fuck.

Attached: Kalimdor Pan.jpg (1920x1080, 579.32K)

I'll do my best

I want it to be a sandbox but the drawback to that is then I have to figure out how to motivate the player to do anything. I'm sure self-contained areas could work for this but I think being able to make a small and focused open world would be better for a sandbox gameplay style.

If I did do it I'd make sure every attachment quite noticeably changes the way the gun handles or what you can do with it.I'm not gonna bother with things that minutely change stats like some barrel that's 2 inches longer than the default that gives you slightly more range but slightly worse recoil. I want every attachment to make it feel like a new weapon and for a fully modded weapon to feel like fucking Excalibur.

Attached: DYxKAjIUQAEPy4g.jpg (2451x1080 107.64 KB, 2.55M)

I remember a Blender plugin that let you apply textures like in valve hammer editor. An user posted about it in /agdg/, but I can't remember what is was called.

Attached: help me nigger.webm (1280x720, 10.98M)

picosong.com/wYA5B/
Made a song.

I would also be interested in this.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1280x1078, 748.89K)

I was wondering why the kid was getting political then I realized there was somebody in the game named "Trump"

So I haven't kill myself yet, still trying to improve minecraft's code. I only JUST figured out how blocks can be registered on the same id using metadata to differentiate.
I also figured I should probably document things as I figure them out, for when I inevitably forget what I figured out.
I still don't totally understand it but to register multiple blocks under the same ID, the constructor needs to have a switch case to get the texture from metadata (or this might be superfluous i don't know), and it needs to be added to an item list array like planks/logs/leaves/etc are (since those things use metadata to differentiate between types), then to be in the creative menu the block needs to be added to the block list array as many times as it has variants (this is done for planks/logs/leaves/etc), then an arbitrarily named int valued at 0 added for it, and an else if case that increments for every instance of that block in the block list array.
Why does it work that way? Who fucking knows. I tried adding textures to the existing texture map but there must be something else that had to be changed or I just didn't get have the right index.

Why are you working on Minecraft's code instead of cloning it?

Sounds like shit and repetitive.

Smart phones and tablets

neat

That would have been me. I first thought that the plugin "Magic UV" would do that, but it a) doesn't and b) kind of sucks.
I set off to write my own, because texturing architecture in a way that creates no seams is far too time consuming using regular unwrapping techniques. Blender's data structures don't really work for a Hammer-like workflow, as it would require you to store the settings (texture, scale, rotation, offset) per face, which would be a pain to manage while editing. However, I did write a plugin to automate some of the steps to speed up the unwrapping process. You can find it here:
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/FastFace/tags (releasaes)
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/FastFace/wikis/home (documentation)
You have a variety of operators you can use. "Project from normal" would probably be of particular interest to you guys.

Have to agree with the other user. The noise is irritating as hell, the melody is boring and the beat is just a run-of-the-mill rhythm (and far too silent for that matter).

I can't really help you out, here, but it's terrible and I hate it

yay a level

Attached: port town.png (1280x720 669.14 KB, 243.96K)

Looks pretty comfy, user. The only thing that bothers me is the pier. Assuming that's open sea, your small little boats are going to get fucked by waves. Make a wave breaker my friend. Also maybe consider shifting the pier a bit to the left and dredge a channel for arriving ships.

its because he doesn't look like it, with his Jersey shore color and ridiculous toupee
intelligent

of course he is, intelligence comes from culture+education,
don't be an actual retard thinking race has anything to do with it

White eniuses are about one in ten thousand, nigger geniuses are about one in a million. Mulatto would be somewhere in between. You have to be extremely well trained to deny this.

This is not the thread to have that argument in.

Because it's hard enough just trying to understand it, it's a puzzle wrapped in a mystery hidden in a labyrinth, but now I understand why tools like modloader and forge became so popular, without having simplified hooks for adding or changing things, modders would be stuck trawling through an ocean of classes to find fractions of a needle in a haystack.
I still think it easier to fix a version of it than to try recreating the entirety of it.
One objective I have is to condense blocks and items into less IDs, and reduce constructor classes, to reduce constructor classes is tricky because practically every block uses different code in the constructor, and to reduce constructor classes requires using metadata, but how metadata is defined is still a mystery even though I could replicate it, this shouldn't matter too much for static blocks like stone/netherrack/dirt, but now I'm considering at least having a different constructor class for types of block, like rock/ore/dirt/grass but this is going to leave a lot of constructor classes anyway because hardly any block shares a type. Oh and I forgot that I haven't even figured out how to name items that use metadata, following the conventions used by every other block seems to have failed, so the block I added to test this shows up without a name, not that it does much good because there's only one block that is named for every variant, and that's dyed wool, which implements a class for storing an array of color values and simple text names, then combine them in a third array and uses black magic to apply that to the item.

Attached: 1408515221019.jpg (400x400, 74.02K)

we already know how it goes when a good goy forces himself into a group he's not wanted

sounds a lot like youtu.be/0sgQOBJrPnI to me
consider making the piano a hell of a lot quieter

What's up with these lines between my tiles? Is it because the tile edges are shit?

forgot the image, pls no bully

Attached: lines.jpg (423x248, 9.43K)

Did you use transparency and expect things to "just werk"?

I think it's more likely that he's drawing the tiles at float positions and they're being anti-aliased, and drawing them a bit too far apart.

My bet would be on either texture filtering or anti-aliasing.

How do you fix this in SFML?

Well it's hard to tell without knowing what the actual issue is eh?

I think the texture or image has a setSmoothing() function.

Yeah, already tried it but nothing changed.
Can't be helped.

In your draw call for the tiles, draw at round(x) and round(y) instead of x and y, that should mke the lines clear background. Then just change the algorithm you use for drawing them, because you're drawing them in the wrong positions.

yeah, my man. Really good stuff. I recommend reading his other works as well. The Rifters trilogy is really great and even the Crysis novelization was really well done, hell of a lot better than the game. Reading snippets and science-related posts on his blog is always fun too. You just gotta skip the liberal whining

I'd keep it relatively realistic, though. adding barrel length will increase range somewhat but it will more likely lower recoil. There might be some other drawback to that, of course. The added weight might increase ADS time or make it unwieldy in CQC that's what i'd do

Anybody have any GOOD Godot 3.0 example projects I can download and start trying to make sense of? I'm having a hard time just finding accurate god damn documentation for this engine that isn't pre-3.0, even for simple shit like:
source: github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/14926
But fuck me if I can find that documented anywhere else on the entire internet except for one random as forum post. Not to mention that the fucking auto-complete doesn't even show get_position and suggests get_global_position instead. Which, you know, who the fuck needs relative positions of their sprites n shit?
Also, just curious how one goes about learning "how shit is done specifically in this engine"? Digging through someone's working, successful code is all I could come up with. When should I use a kinematicBody2D instead of a collisionPolygon2D and vice versa?

Yeah but that's all small numbers work, not to mention if I do something like interchangeable barrels for one gun, then as a sandbox experience I'd have to do that for all of them which could be very work intensive.We'll see once I get to actual coding, but I think this list for weapon modding would give enough variety while being reasonable from a workload standpoint:
There would only be one of these per weapon. It's just the base piece for my aforementioned idea of assembling weapons from their parts. I think the idea of some weapons in the game only able to be obtained by assembling them would be fun. So there wouldn't be any variance in receivers, it's just the foundation in which this metaphorical house is built on.

Attached: 1681841.jpg (315x565, 75.99K)

you can always go the unrealistic but fun way of doing things. Blacklight had a fun weapon attachment/building system that was pretty cool

my game has a help file that's in pdf format. is there any way i can render pdfs in godot to display directly in game?

Hey guys, I'm a corporate program developpers and I want to try to make some light vidya in Unity so I can do what all the cool kids are doing too. Back in the days I did a chess game and a missile command game for fun so I'm not starting from nothing. I want to try to do an dynamic economy system since it doesn't require much graphics and I am not an artist. I haven't started programming yet but I'm curious if you guys have any idea of where I should start. Right now I have outlined the 4 economic sector and started reading on supply and demand, but I want the first iteration to be simple and I will implement the complexities of population and government types later.

Attached: 2f1821a3c97ae08f63654312444d8ebbc526116b371dbb026ce26a8fba784a85.jpg (1012x1324, 221.84K)

If you really want C# gamedev, go for something like Monogame or FNA instead.

A good idea where to tart would be writing a GDD (game design document). Develop your goal first, so you have something to work towards. Here is the GDD for an unreleased Saint's Row game for the PSP: dsvolition.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SR_Undercover_GDD.pdf
As you see, it's quite detailed. That's the point of a GDD.
Depending on how long you think that's going to take, you could make something like Pong in Unity at the same time. To get used to the tools and API.

Those are frameworks, user. Those aren't engines, which are better suited to someone who wants to work on a project on the side.

i have working off mesh links with animations
i'm kind of irritated with the way it works though
you can only move on the link if you're specifically trying to reach it's end point (or further), which is perfectly fine for NPCs since i'm directly telling them in which location to go, but the player is only told in which direction to go
so if i go near a ladder and want to climb it, i have to make sure that the area in the direction i want to go is unwalkable, so that the navmesh kicks in and searches for the closes edge which happens to be above/below the direction i want to go in
so now every time i want a working ladder, i have to add unwalkable space behind it, just so the player doesn't accidentally walk under the desired location
and i'm not even sure if it's possible to get more than one agent to traverse the path at the same time

Attached: Unity 2018-03-21 23-43-00-21_VP8.webm (848x370, 6.95M)

Is that TES music?

Make sure bump stocks boost deadliness by at least 50%.

Ladders and NPCs are always fucky in games.

of course not, i would never commit such a heinous crime

Attached: c609d05a22672fcea8fb75b6faa526288524a88f238f451168891f71f242b782.png (338x398, 263.22K)

I want to keep it simple and all the cool kids use it.

Yeah I approach it like I would a project at work. Programming is done in the end and I already started my design document. I like your idea of doing a small game on the side to get used to Unity and it's APIs. I was just wondering what kind of pattern I should look into, the economy would be done mostly in the background. It would not be a game itself but part of one.

A framework will help you keep your game simple instead of having to redesign it to suit the engine better.

Unity is the opposite of what you use if you don't want much graphics. If you're a corporate developer you should just be able to write it from scratch using C with heavy use of the MSDN.

Say what you will about Oblivion, but the OST is comfy as fuck.

Tomorrow im going to add the hair armature

Attached: sasha hair front side.png (1456x728, 301.82K)

Just like at work. I wanted to use Unity but you're right, I should be able to do it in any language.

Attached: 1360189442812.gif (400x226, 1.65M)

This thread has been exceptionally slow. Anyone know why that could be?

It's not the weekend?

Most of us are American, and it's less than two hours after 5:00 PM.

No one has brought up waifus yet.

I'm busy trying to make sense of Godot, no time to shit post.

I am a video game journalist. I am saving and cataloging all of the webms and pictures that you post ITT, and waiting for your games to come out. When they do, I will publish an expose on all of the gamedevs who are trying to insinuate themselves into the gaming community, yet they post here on a racist pedophile board. Have fun getting blacklisted!! You deserve it!!

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1040x585, 126.63K)

I wasted 20 minutes trying to figure out a cryptic compiler error in haskell. the problem was that floats use (**) for exponents instead of ^ like any sane, rational person would expect.

import Data.Ord (comparing)import Data.List (sortBy)import Data.List.Splitdata Line = Line { num :: Integer, base :: Integer, exp' :: Integer} deriving (Show)sortGT :: Line -> Line -> OrderingsortGT a b = compare valA valB where valA = fromIntegral $ base a -- base a valB = (fromIntegral $ base b) ** ((fromIntegral $ exp' b) / (fromIntegral $ exp' a))process x = zipWith (\x y -> affix y x) before [1..] where before = map lineToLine xlineToLine :: String -> LinelineToLine x = pre where num = 0 base = read $ temp !! 0 exp' = read $ temp !! 1 temp = splitOn "," x pre = Line num base exp'affix x xs = Line x (base xs) (exp' xs)main :: IO ()main = do file

Don't use floats in haskell
use the superior floatse

I just want to raise one small fraction to the power of another and I don't care who dies in the process

Is there actually any (non-meme, well-respected) language which uses that notation for exponents? I haven't seen it in code before.

Lua

just about every programming language that has any relation to mathematics lets you write x^y for power

Man, I'd almost wish you weren't shitposting.

No, because a lot of them are inspired by C++ and that uses ^ for XOR.

Haskell uses ^ for Integers, and can infer the meaning for other types, they just made a conscience decision to have a different exponent operator for each data type

Yes, but user asked specifically for non-meme, well respected languages. There aren't many of those. And you didn't mention one.

are you having a hard time understanding why someone would expect 2.0^2.0 to work similarly to 2^2?

No, I'm having a hard time understanding why you use a language that does both 2.0^2.0 and 2^2 wrong.

oh, because I want to suffer

why would you want to read anything from left to right?

goals = [2,3,5,7,11,13,17]isValid number = head $ sort $ (zipWith (\x y -> (x `mod` y) == 0) numberSet goals) where worldSet = map (mapSet) [1 .. 7] mapSet n = map (\s -> number !! s) [n, n+1, n+2] numberSet = map (\c -> read c :: Int) worldSetpandigitalNumbers = sum $ map (\x -> read x :: Integer) $ filter isValid $ map (concat) $ (map . map) (show) $ filter (\x -> x !! 0 /= 0) $ permutations [0..9]

Any UE4 wizards around here? Any idea how to create a C++ event in a pawn that would show up for override in the GameMode class, like picrelated? Trying to figure out client->server communication in UE4, and I'm just not quite sure how to do this properly. I'm retarded. I just want a way to respond to the pawn requesting an update to a variable, or sending a value to the gamemode. You know, communication.

wow im retarded and i forgot to post the screenshot

Attached: Screenshot_195.png (447x759, 54.88K)

In the UFUNCTION() put "BlueprintNativeEvent" or "BlueprintImplementableEvent".

Thanks!

You're welcome.

…do you think I want to work for some kike video game corporation? You don't understand why I AGDG…

I've rebuilt the collision tree for my game because the old one refused to work above 10 objects and I couldn't figure out why. It's working pretty decently so far, except that it has 75 nodes for ~6 objects and crashes with a stack overflow as soon as I press an attack button.

Attached: 375cdb3852c72853526a2d86a8c9f6efcb58a58dae96b2724f52a9371ef62634.jpg (640x640, 420.82K)

you've posted three times and used "…" three times. stop brooding.

I hope one day I'm famous enough for one of the big name faggots in game journalism to request an interview so I can tell them to eat a dick

I'll lock bump stocks behind a cheat code

After about a month and a half of procrastination, I finally rewrote all my Godot 2.1 code in C# for Godot 3. It feels really great to know that I can finally start adding new features instead of piecing back together everything I'd already done.

Attached: JusticeLeagueEurope21p04.jpg (873x623, 273.38K)

I thought I figured out why names weren't being displayed for new blocks, I remembered there's a language file so I tried modifying it, and it caused an error because of the SHA sum being different. I remembered that deleting META-INF was a thing, and that allowed the client to start with a modified language file, but the names still are not displayed.
Finally just figured it out, whatever setBlockName(str) is set as needs to match exactly what is in the language file. Next I have to figure out how to go about apply a different name for blocks with metadata, but this whole language file thing makes things more complicated because to have blocks added through a config file means the language file needs to be modified every time unless I do away with the language file entirely but fuck knows what that would break.

Attached: names.png (703x832, 193.53K)

Jesus, it must've been bad then; thanks for the truth.
I've encountered a massive block with my music as of late which has made it increasingly hard to make anything of worth.
picosong.com/wYBSh/
And
picosong.com/wYAUA/
Are in progress songs, any better? I realize the first one is somewhat repetitive, as it's in progress.

Attached: huh.png (470x492, 56.69K)

I really like the aesthetic youre going for, consider youtu.be/6oxBfKi2dS8 which is loosely in the same vein
I listened to 2 first, its literally just ambient sound
1 is better but I lowkey skimmed through pretty quick

I like the first one, the second one has too little going on and the first one is good but repetitive, needs to be fleshed out more but is solid to listen too.

So, is there anything cool I can do with sqrt(2) or sqrt(2)/2 ?

Every time I see it, I feel like I should be able to shortcut a sin/cos calculation with it, but I can't. Either way, it looks like sqrt is half the cost of trig functions so I can abuse it instead.
latkin.org/blog/2014/11/09/a-simple-benchmark-of-various-math-operations/

Eg, instead of using sin/cos to calculate a point inside a circle, I'm generating a random XY value, normalizing it, and then multiplying it by the sqrt of a random value between 0 and 1. It gives a perfectly round distribution, and scales to 2D and 3D, and avoids trig, but I feel like 2 root calls (one for normalization, one for scaling the unit size) is too much

if you want to speed this up further just use explicit SIMD in your code and use the less precise rsqrtps. Also use floating-point versions of these operations, do not use double-precision functions like that blog post is doing.

stackoverflow.com/questions/1528727/why-is-sse-scalar-sqrtx-slower-than-rsqrtx-x

Wait, after I create the function in the pawn and mark it as a BlueprintNativeEvent, how do I set up a situation where I can set up a response for every time this event fires off on every pawn in the world? I guess I naively assumed that marking the function as such and setting the pawn as the default pawn in the GameMode would provide me with an option to then override the function but that has not happened, so… What do I do, senpai?

Attached: please-be-patient-i-have-autism-19490720.png (500x651, 187.99K)

Setting the default pawn sets the pawn that is spawned at the beginning of the game that the player has control over. That shouldn't have any effect on whether or not you can override a function, and it doesn't set the "pawn" globally.
If you want this function to be accessible by all pawns, you have to change the parent of existing pawns (or all objects who's parent is "pawn") to have this new child of the pawn class you created be their parent. You can do this in blueprints by clicking "file>Reparent Blueprint" and selecting your desired parent. You have to do this one by one for all children of the pawn class, so I hope you don't have a lot of those. For future pawns remember to use either your class, or a child of your class.
I'm sorry if this isn't the solution you're looking for, I'm having trouble deciphering what you want to have happen and what stuff you already know.

Oh, sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I'm trying to set up communication between my player pawn and the GameMode blueprint, to allow for the player to actually request, or send bits of data from the server when needed. In my particular example I'm just trying to send a string from player pawn class to the server to figure out how it works, and so I was under the impression that I'm meant to implement an event in my pawn, set the GameMode blueprint to listen for that event and respond with a particular function, and then just call that event from my pawn whenever I need to access that functionality.

And I know that I can bind an event on an individual basis, but I'm trying to get a situation where the event is handled from every single pawn in the world, in the GameMode, without having to bind it deliberately.

I think that what I've said should still be able to apply in this situation. I'll admit I'm a pretty bad person to be asking as far as networking help goes. I've done a lot of things in UE4 C++ but networking is not one of them.
I'm off to bed. I'll try to help if you are still experiencing problems when I get up.

Well, I've implemented the function as a native event but I'm still having difficulties with this. Maybe I'm missing a crucial step. I'm not by any means asking to get spoonfed but the documentation out there is surprisingly sparse when looking into actually implementing this sort of stuff beyond just declaring the relevant functions.

You only need one.
(X, Y) * (1 / sqrt(X^2 + Y^2)) * sqrt(rand(0, 1))
=
(X, Y) * (sqrt(rand(0, 1)) / sqrt(X^2 + Y^2))
=
(X, Y) * sqrt(rand(0, 1) / (X^2 + Y^2))

Attached: monitor crashes windows.jpg (506x561, 51.98K)

have you checked valgrind output yet?

Nah, I found it. I had basically changed
if(Ptrs[i]){ OminousFunction(); for(P = Ptrs[i]; (*P & SomeBit); ++P) DoStuff();}

to

P = Ptrs[i];if(P){ OminousFunction(); for(; (*P & SomeBit); ++P) DoStuff();}
which left P dangling since the call ended up reallocating some stuff, causing P to scan forward until it hit the next allocated block, where it cheerfully overwrote the block info.

feeling a little bit smug right now

Attached: 1435375835.jpg (665x720, 35.71K)

So I wanted a thing that calculates your chance to hit, then the location you hit the baddie, then the damage done. It would all be random but based on your player skills which would provide modifiers. But then I realised I don't know how. The logic of it I mean. I don't know what the actual variables and numbers would be or how they'd interact with each other and I really don't know what to do. Guess I'll just make a pixel art platformer.

Attached: 1497056959612.jpg (874x684, 79K)

whenever you don't understand anything or can't imagine anything, try to write it on paper

This.

Train your brainlet with graphite and paper.

Well, I picture that you should have a portion of the damage be random, and each weapon could have a "randomizer" stat, and then the rest of it could be based on your attack, your weapon's attack and your enemy's defense.

So it would be something like
ATK +
Weapon_ATK +
Weapon_ATK x Weapon_randomizer -
Enemy_DEF =
Final Damage.

And hey, that's only one way to calculate it. You can do it in literally any way you wish, all that matters is that you keep it consistent.

Oh, and I noticed that you mentioned
And this could basically be glorified critical hits.

Generate a random number between 1 and 100. If it's 95-100, you hit him in an extremely vulnerable part and you do double damage. If it's 85-95, you do 1.75 damage, and so on, and so fourth. Seems overpowered, and it would be if you didn't balance it right. It's all about balance and consistency.

Break it up into steps.

* Chance to hit: Generate a random number between A and B (usually between 0 and 1). Set a threshold based on your user's modifier, putting it on the same scale (so if you have an "accuracy" score of 1-10, divide it by 10). If the random number is below your accuracy threshold, you hit. Optionally, tweak the threshold based on enemy modifiers as well, or use a more complex formula. The important thing is that the randomly generated number end up on the same scale as your threshold. You can also mix it up by using non-uniform number generation (such as to simulate a dice roll, where numbers are biased toward the middle of the range). You should be able to do a sample test of this rather easily even separately from your game.
* Location to hit: This depends heavily on your game. The easiest approach is to apply a "weight" to each body part based on its probability to be hit. For instance, arms and legs might be a 2 (each), head might be a 1, and torso might be a 4, meaning that your torso is 4 times as likely to be hit as your head. Your torso is twice as likely to hit as each arm and leg, but you are twice as likely to hit an arm or leg than the torso. The easiest way to do this is with a list selection, where you put a token into a list for each weight number of the body part (so there are 4 torso tokens), and select randomly from that list. There are better ways that don't involve allocating an entire list (or at least allocating a much smaller list), but this one is the easiest naive solution. A more general solution that doesn't rely on integers involves calculating the total weights in a way that they add up to 1, generating a random number from 0 to 1, and then subtracting each in turn from the random number, selecting the body part that makes it go negative (the best solution is to use your language's library to do weighted selection the standard way. C++ has the std::piecewise_constant_distribution for it; most languages have some sort of facilities for weighted random selection). This is easier to modify based on accuracy.
* Damage is the same way. You usually want to present a bit of variation, so don't assign a single damage, assign damage that varies around a set point by a bit. The easiest solution is to calculate the "real" damage, and take 10% of that. Generate a random number from -0.5 to 0.5, multiply that by the 10%, and add it to your damage number, so your damage can vary by 10%. This variance modifier can be tweaked based on skill and weapon if you'd like. You might also make certain things "critical hits" or "glancing blows" at a 1/100 chance (modified if you'd like), so if the number is greater than 0.475 for instance, you don't use the modifier, but just deal 50% more damage, and below the negative inverse, you deal half damage. Something like that.

Either way, break it up into steps:

1. Get damage working. No accuracy calculation, no variance. Just get damage working. If you already have body-specific damage, just choose the torso every time.
2. Get accuracy and missing working.
3. Work in random body part selection.
4. Add damage variance, if needed.

Don't take a big view of the whole system you want and try to think about everything you need to do to get there at once. Break it down, and tackle the smallest possible chunk that you can at a time, and make sure your program works with partial functionality between each step. You can do it.

On the other hand, a pixel art platformer isn't a bad idea, depending on your progress and experience. If you haven't made a game yet and have minimal programming experience, pixel art platformer is a very good place to start, and will have you tackling more difficult problems than you might assume.

That's because randomness is just things that we don't understand. It's impossible to create true randomness within a contained system where every variable is accounted for. It just has to be complicated enough that a person wouldn't be able to understand how it works without the source code or some tool.

Attached: randbitmap_computer.png (512x512, 67.68K)

It needs to be so complicated that even the dev is surprised by the results

That'd be difficult if not impossible unless the variable used is something uncontrolled like temperature. There's some random number generation tools that go as far as to us atmospheric noise as their variable, so the only person who wouldn't be surprised by results is Dr. Manhattan.

Every modern OS has a way to generate true randomness from the hardware itself (or at least sufficiently close to true, using environmental noise and hardware things like disk use to generate entropy). Some machines have a specific true random device that generates a stream of entropy based on data collected from quantum phenomena.
You can have randomness without complication. Most decent PRNG (pseudorandom number generators) are also far less predictable than the image you've provided, and take at least several million or billion iterations to start cycling.

Friendly reminder this exists
github.com/imneme/pcg-cpp

Most OSes have a secure random number generator that pulls from a dedicated OS entropy pool, which is populated by keyboard and mouse inputs, hard drive latency and use, and various other things (such as hardware temperature sensors). It's not random in a literal sense, but it's good enough to be cryptographically secure in most cases. It's not difficult, because every modern OS already does it, and any random number access that hits the entropy pool will utilize those techniques. On POSIX OSes, it's as easy as pulling from /dev/random (or /dev/urandom to use the entropy pool until it's empty and then using a PRNG seeded from the entropy afterward), in windows, you can just hit CryptGenRandom.

Yeah, but for a video game, I'd just stick to language standard. You don't really need statistical randomness for a video game, all you need is good enough that it's not detectable or predictable.

apartment buildan

Attached: Unity 2018-03-22 18-51-53-75_VP8.webm (848x364, 7.04M)

I really wanted you to jump from that balcony onto the roof and keep exploring for funny out of bounds errors

it's nav mesh
you can't jump across a gap unless you specifically made that one location jumpable beforehand via an off mesh link
and i only made ladders yesterday
i could make the player able to jump via physics and disabling the nav mesh, but then the AI would never have any reason to do that

Does anyone have a good read on the technicalities of fighting games like tekken or combat like DMC HackNSlash? Or a tutorial? Or a quick rundown of how it works if you know it? In my opinion it should be something like:
Is this the right way to do it? Are there more complex things i am forgetting here? I am not looking for realistic stuff like simulations, just basic arcade-level stuff.

Attached: 51204c906c8276b08c471a8f560eaf0938e08eebcc82b908b42a97397371fabd.jpeg (600x449, 37.7K)

way to curb my exploration spirit

Attached: 15420236114.jpg (1920x1080, 107K)

Attached: o rly.png (331x384, 244.14K)

not saying that it's not possible, but it's gonna require doing different things for the player and npcs because of the design flaw i had in here
what i COULD probably won't do is disable player nav and activate rididbody, while the AI sticks to off mesh links
BUT
automatically generated off mesh links only work for jumping down
i'd be willing to put jumping in the game if i can find a script that actually generates usable off mesh links without me having to do anything

i'm not an artist and i only have exterior images for reference

Attached: 441a7f5f4903591676491e65f9352ce867dffd8613758eb0a26baa2041fb57bb.png (600x337, 209.56K)

go away aragorn you don't know shit about game dev

Attached: .jpg (1296x968, 528.73K)

True randomness gets in the way of reproducing bugs, anyway. Just using it to seed a PRNG should be good enough for games.

I'm more concerned about the staircase (and the rest of the insides) feeling so cramped. I remember hearing the max payne devs (IIRC) talking about how they made everything 30% wider than it should be in order to make it feel right. 3rd person is a twat.

i made my corridors bigger than they should be because of the hole in the roof
as a result the rooms got smaller
and i probably fucked up the size of the building as a whole, which makes the rooms even smaller

happy?

Attached: fuckingstairs.png (1366x768, 819.46K)

Generally it's a good idea to use true randomness as a seed for a PRNG (though usually just using the current system time is good enough). Some developers use a single set seed in development and have the release build use a true random source for the seed.

That's the basic gist of how it works as far as I know.

As long as its unit tested sure, but that seems like a great way to take a certain eg map rng for granted and get weird results you hadnt seen before

That's how most fighting games do it. Vid related covers this in pretty good detail in the context of what makes moves in a fighting game over powered.

What is it with every jewtube thumbnail looking like this nowadays?

Retard detected

Computers simply aren't random. If they are they would fail the turing test. Specialized analog computers come close to true randomness because they have more variability in their data representation, but it's still deterministic.

You can make a RNG seed based on time. Sure. But then it's a very predictable algorithm. Yes you can use local temperature. But that fails too: it relies on an outside system, and thus must be converted to a set of bits (say 128) to respresent it. No matter how much accuracy you give it, it's still finite and predictable.

Then we get into the notion of schodingers paradox and quantum mechanics, and thats not even pointing out that randomness is also a function of time and every CPU instruction works via ticks

Despite that, it's still the best one. All of the songs that you've posted so far are pretty repetitive. I'll explain song structure as I've come to understand it as best as I can, which may help with fighting repetitiveness. Even if you don't need it, someone else might.

Music is a series of ideas (called motifs) which are introduced and then varied upon in patterns that repeat. The variation on those ideas is what keeps the listener's interest after the initial idea has been introduced and is already familiar, as the variation is identified by the brain as anomalous, and is therefore interesting. However, it's important to keep a certain amount of the song unvaried and familiar. If the song isn't varied enough, it becomes perceived as a repetitive drone, and is categorized as something to be ignored. If it's too varied, then no order can be discerned, and it just sounds like noise. In a sense, the goal is to balance between order and chaos.

>picosong.com/wYBSh/
For instance, this song only has one melodic idea, which is introduced immediately, and then never varied upon aside from which instrument is playing it. The use of percussion does break it up some, but it's still quite noticeable that it's just the same four notes being repeated in the exact same order with the exact same rhythm for two and a half minutes. You essentially just have looping chords with no melody. Consider adding recurring motifs, and changing how they play out each time they repeat.

The individual ideas and their variations are the base building blocks of the song, but they must be built into an ordered hierarchical structure. I consider Galaxy Man's theme from Mega Man 9 to be a good example of what I'm talking about, though there are likely better ones out there. (youtube.com/watch?v=AdDbbzuq1vY) Notice the way in which each idea is introduced, and then immediately varied upon. But those variations aren't just random chaos, either. They're all integrated into the song's overall order over time. For example, let's compare the 12-second intro of the song to the 12-second section that comes immediately after it. See Pic 2. This is a graph of the structure of those segments. It's the same as the playlist in any DAW, but focused only on the ideas present. If you were to import a MIDI of the song and zoom out, you would see this same structure in a less abstract form. It's timestamped with the times in the linked video, to compare to.

Start at the bottom left, at Level 1. The intro segment first introduces two musical ideas, 1A and 1B. Those particular idea's relationship, being played together in that particular order, although tenuous, can also be considered to be an idea in itself, which is above them hierarchically on Level 2, as 2A. Now, immediately after 2A has finished playing, instead of repeating 2A over and over, the song returns to Level 1 to try and vary itself. This time, it plays 1A again, which keeps things familiar (order), but then instead of playing 1B again, it varies (chaos) and introduces a new idea, 1C. Obviously, this combination isn't the same as 2A, so it's a new idea, called 2B. Because both 2A and 2B contain similar component ideas, specifically 1A, your brain understands that they're related, and that they have a relationship within the hierarchy. This relationship is 3A.

Attached: Galaxy-Fantasy-2.png (849x867 23.75 KB, 105.63K)

You should notice that once 3A is completed at 0:06, the song repeats itself for the next six seconds. The whole 12-second intro is just 3A played twice, and we'll call it 4A. It's at this point that the hierarchy starts to break down, because there's no variation between the 3As, meaning 4A is also not noticeably varied from them. This expressed in the graph by 4A being the same color as 3A, brown, despite being in the same idea chain. The longer you play the same thing repeatedly, the more you risk boring the listener, though you may find a reason to do so. In this particular case, it does get away with it, because it's the opening of the song and is trying to set the tone, and it's both fast and still varied enough up to Level 3 that it doesn't get annoying within the short 6 seconds in which it does so. If it was just 1A played for all 12 seconds, it would be unacceptable.

Now take a look at the next part, which starts at 0:12. This segment has its own 1A, 1B, 2A, etc, that are all different and unrelated to the last segment's set. However, this segment is different in that it does not repeat its 3A, and this happens because of a single change in Level 1. At the end of the segment, instead of a second playing of 1C, it introduces another new idea, 1D. This has a trickle-up effect on variation, because it also means that, instead of there being a second playing of 2B like in the first segment, there's now a new idea in its place called 2C, which in turn also means that there is not a second 3A, but a new idea called 3B. This small change makes its structure significantly more varied than the intro. This whole segment is called 4B.

See Pic 3. This is the same graph, zoomed out. It shows that the song actually has two additional Levels, and that the song has two more Level 4 segments, for a total of four. They last almost as long as A and B, but for brevity's sake, I didn't expand it to their full size, or mark out the exact times of their component ideas, only the time span in which they occur. Their structure is identical to 4B's. 4C is what could be considered the bridge of the song. It sounds very different from the rest of it, but still conforms to the same structure.

4D is the finale, so rather than doing its own thing like 4C, it instead uses the opportunity to tie together the structure of the entire song. 4D is actually based around the same 1A from back in 4B, which makes them related. Prior to this, 4A and 4B had no direct relationship aside from being adjacent and having a similar rhythm. However, now there are two sets of coupled Level 4 segments where the final segment is based on 4B's 1A. Until this point, it was always the final item in any coupling that would be the variation, but the inverse is also acceptable. 4C's seemingly non-sequitur uniqueness was acually the variation in the 4C and 4D coupling. We'll call the first of these new sets 5A, and the second 5B. In this way, 4B's 1A acts as a cornerstone that ties the whole song together. Now, we know that 5A and 5B are related, and the song is all one completed concept on its own Level, as 6A.

You see the patterns you see in pop music, such as the common placement orders of verses, choruses, and bridges, because they follow this concept. I don't know how strictly songs have to adhere to this concept, but it's definitely the norm to do so in non-experimental music, and I've never encountered a song that's worse off for doing it. That's the basic idea, so I'm cutting it here. I didn't expect this to turn into an autistic essay so fast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In practice computers never use a single source of entropy for generating random numbers. There's the time between key-presses, noise from drivers, mouse movements, input from a microphone or camera, and in some cases people may even use a hardware random number generator. Random.org uses atmospheric noise. We can then use math to "smooth out" the entropy and get a more uniform distribution of numbers. That way a computer can have access to randomness even though an algorithm isn't capable of generating it.

It doesn't mater if the algorithm is predictable if it's one way and the seed is random.

Do you mean "they wouldn't be turing complete"? I can see how the Turing test relates tangentially do this, but I don't know why you brought it up.

Alright thanks for the input, the video was pretty useful and the visual hitbox examples of streetfighter basically answered what i wanted to know about how to handle hitboxes. I made the mistake to search for dev examples but completely forgot that autistic players probably will have much more indepth information on the functionality of these games among their pro community.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (622x226, 19.79K)

This is why you should go to school, kids.

Incidentally, I found that because I was trying to fiddle with my RNG stuff still.

So I can generate a point in/on a circle no problem. If I want negative values, I have to do [n * 2 - 1], which I guess is the standard way of doing it, but because of how floats are represented, it means I'll potentially get numbers in the range of [-1..0..0.9999]

I was trying to find an elegant way to solve that. Inversion [1-n] might work, but it would mean I could generate points inside a circle AND on the edge of it (which might not necessarily be what I want), and never at (0,0).

Alternatively, I can roll another value and mirror it across the XY axis, depending on the result. This seems to be the most satisfactory way, but I feel it's still flawed because it's another RNG call, and also it can "double up" on 0

Alright, actually bothered to shit out a SFML window and plot shit

Looks like the [(x,y) * sqrt(n / (x^2+y^2)] approach (top right) has very slight clustering towards near pi/4, whereas bottom left (generate xy, reroll if >= 1) doesn't

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (608x627, 70.38K)

That should be obvious. A diagonal line from bottom left to top right is *√2 longer than a line from bottom left to top left, so on that line there are *√2 more samples. If you scale it to be in a circle, then the density there will naturally increase to be *√2 greater than other areas.

alright, with a nav mesh link instead of an off mesh link, doing jumps across gaps is a little bit more feasible since i can change the width and not have to entirely rely on auto link generation to save time
i still have to fuck with it to get the player to actually realize where he wants to go though
at this rate i'll be adding shitty features to a framework that i'll never get around to using

Attached: Unity 2018-03-22 23-53-33-01_VP8.webm (816x364, 884.61K)

Somewhat shitty defense, but I think that's the point? Their game is one of those weird oppressive atmosphere games, so the music drones on. Kinda like Drakengard's music, which also doesn't really follow music theory.
But what you gave is probably still rather good advice, I wouldn't know. I'm half tone deaf. The only reason I know Drakengard's music is supposedly weird aside from structure is because people told me. It sounds "strong" to me but not unpleasant and I listen to it often.

Do all struct instances have the same pointer/referene? C++.

No. Please clarify your question as it is vague, but the answer is probably no.

That doesn't even make any sense. If they had the same pointer, then all the instance and their values would be identical.

im sorry, im just so fucked by OOP that i don't know what's real

you're not real

No. The pointer is the literal memory address where that data lives. So if you have this struct:

struct Foo { char a; char b;}

And do something like this code:

Foo *x = new Foo();Foo *y = new Foo();

it might create structures in memory like this:

Address Data0x1230 {possible metadata, like vtable and such}0x1231 {data of a}0x1232 {data of b}...0x1240 {possible metadata, like vtable and such}0x1241 {data of a}0x1242 {data of b}

and what x gets is 0x1230, and y gets 0x1240. The pointer is exactly what it sounds like: it points to the memory where the data actually lives. If you have two pointers with the same address, they'd be using the exact same data and modifying it:

Foo *x = new Foo();x->a = 7;Foo *y = x;y->a = 20;// x->a is now 20, because they were pointing to the same memory

When you use `new` on a class, it reserves that chunk of memory somewhere, and returns the address in pointer form, so that you can work with it. Note that there is nothing inherently special about memory that belongs to a specific class. You can theoretically allocate memory for one class and use it through a different class, but that's undefined behavior and compilers will often not do what you expect them to, especially when optimization is enabled. A "type" in C isn't something that survives to runtime. In C, all a struct is is a description of where the compiler can expect to find certain fields in an owned block of memory. This is largely true in C++ as well, but it gets more complicated due to vtable and RTTI. For the most part, though, you can think of it the same way.

If you're confused, play with it. Build dummy structs, try different things, actually compile and run it, and see what happens. If you have a specific question about a specific behavior (why does changing this also change this? Why doesn't this work the way I expect it), come back and we'll explain it.

It sounds like you need to do some more low-level exploration. I'd suggest learning a simple assembly language if you can (not modern x86. Targeting DOS through DOSBox is a great learning experience), or just playing a little more with plain C memory management to see exactly what C++ is abstracting away for you.

Nice reading comprehension nigger. I was not arguing computers are capable of being random, I was pointing out the fact that the randogram posted by 3462da was generated by an insecure generator. Maybe your pretentious ass doesn't know, but there are in fact cryptographically secure deterministic generators (if and only if one-way functions exist)

the other moral is don't be born indian

Gotta make sure people can't game my lootboxes :^)

They came from money though, I come from debt, there's a big difference, I am working on a game, the C programming language is hard, I wish I had 2 of me so one could do art and level design and the other could learn programming and get that done.

Just wanted to share this if anyone hasn't seen it already, basically a few people are creating an all new fourth world for Spyro 2 in unity and it looks fantastic. A&CP devs better step up their game, these boys are working with less people and resources and have gotten 10x more done in half the time.

If it's in Unity, it's not for Spyro 2. Stop shilling your stolen assets here.

Guess linking something instantly makes someone the source and a shill, kill yourself nigger

So as I see it, there's two approaches

Are these the only ways you can pick a point inside a circle? Neither seems good

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (608x627, 49.47K)

Use explicit SIMD and floats to compute the points using the trig functions method. This should eliminate the speed problems as vectorization of such a problem will allow for the greatest possible speed gain that vectorization can provide.

I don't think C# supports SIMD stuff. Or if it does I don't know how to work with it. Even so, it probably falls into the "its an implementation detail!" scope

Though since I am using SFML 3d isnt explicitly required. Though I guess it's not a bad thing to use trig when absolutely necessary

Maybe instil.co/2016/03/21/parallelism-on-a-single-core-simd-with-c/ is what you are looking for?

In general I do think that it's not the kind of thing that needs to be optimized much, yes a trig function takes longer than multiplication, but how many times are you calling those trig functions per frame?

how do we get more indigenous people into game development? I was thinking of designing a programming language that has no need for any numbers past 5.
cats = 3*3;read cats; //outputs "Many"

We already have a language perfectly suited for them.
javaworld.com/article/2150208/java-language/a-case-for-keeping-primitives-in-java.html

This is looking oppressive already, we need to make the language composed entirely out of drawings

I've figured out how to combine the best parts of everything

Attached: image.png (277x95, 7.12K)

I can generate 50,000 points on startup without a noticeable hiccup. So I think using trig is fine and I was fretting over a non-issue.

On a related topic, I'm basically making a few extension methods for Random that creates unit shapes. For shapes, I'm making functions that picks a point on or in the bounds (again, for particle generators, mostly)

Anyways, if I wanted to pick a point on a triangle edge, this is what I have. It feels inelegant, but it works

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (621x185, 12.77K)

Whoops that's an old picture. I meant this one.
Anyways, it feels clunky to use a switch statement, and just to generate a value

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (622x189, 13.11K)

unleash your inner autism and write that section in assembly, without using any branches

It's like you hate your eyes

Attached: 75eda5e213e6d4544fae48903dcdd7c11fe748a2068c2a105eba20b8a5bf2187.jpg (400x250, 40.74K)

I hate YOUR eyes

rate my theme

Attached: image.png (997x668, 170.93K)

it's custom

What the flying fuck? That honestly sounds like someone who doesn't know how computers work.

What do you mean? The article doesn't demonstrate a lack of knowledge.

goddamn these filthy pajeets make me sick
we might live in a future where an integer containing your health is actually a separate class with a private (boxed) integer value so you don't get it mixed up with other integers

Attached: image.png (834x422, 34.37K)

Performance should be a non-issue with something like this. I have no idea what you're using it for, but if it's for graphics you can just shove that workload to the GPU.

Install flux and turn on a light when it gets dark you fucking idiot

That sounds pretty complex. Maybe we can abstract it to simplify it?

Attached: OOP.png (299x249, 63.5K)

Attached: indan_programmer_school_2.webm (640x360, 11.72M)

something like this could work
Vector3 v[4] = {a, b, c, a};unsigned i = obj.Next(0,3);if(i > 2) return Vector3.Zero;return v[i] + (v[i+1] - v[i]) * obj.NextFloat();
However since you're using C#, you are relying on your compiler to not be retarded and incur extra heap allocations with this solution.

I'm not sure what you wrote makes any sense

why are you doing it like that? Are you retarded?

You wanted the switch case gone, so I removed it.

that's a different user
I'm confused because you return a Vector3.zero in the case that a number from [0,3) equals 3

I know so little about C# that I assumed the obj.Next(0,3) could return 3. After all, the original code handles that case.
If it's guaranteed that obj.Next(0,3) returns 2 or lower, then yes, you can chuck that line out.

yeah, the original code was retarded, it turns out

Post your PointOnTriangle code, I want to see what the C# compiler does to it

You see that building? You can climb it.

I fucked with the nav mesh link component, now it adds box colliders at the start/end to tell the player to move to the opposite end
nothing has changed for the npcs, they work fine
now i just need to get it to work with waypoints or a curve or something, otherwise it keeps clipping when you climb and it looks like you're floating when you're jumping

Attached: Unity 2018-03-23 13-41-26-60_VP8.webm (800x364 374.32 KB, 452.11K)

what's going on here?

Attached: a0e0351d426283ac0cb6c2822706f8b81525e0ec218e977a0f2041643afa620a.jpg (495x495, 44.08K)

it's a really bad habbit though
if this keeps up you never finish anything

It might be, but it'll be a general purpose helper. Also, for something this simple, it'll probably cost more to move it to the GPU than to just do it on the spot, unless I'm doing it millions of times.

No, C#'s random is upper bound exclusive, so it will be [0,3). Or rather, 0, 1, or 2. The extra last bit with return Vector.Zero is because it would bitch that it wouldn't guarantee a return value, so I'd either have to rewrite the switch into pic related, or else use a default case that would never happen.

Anyways, code is here
hastebin.com/owenoxevoc.cs
hastebin.com/etipekesiq.cs

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (623x151, 11.49K)

So now is it Banterlord or Ass Creed? personally, I lean towards physics-based movement

but are you planning on finishing it or just having fun?

it's not asscreed because climbing isn't the focus, it's just a tool to get around
plus i'm not crazy enough to waste time on ledges that you can hang from especially when i can't even figure out how to auto generate them

just for fun, let's molest the generated IL

.method public hidebysig static valuetype Vector3 PointOnTriangle ( class [mscorlib]System.Random obj, valuetype Vector3 a, valuetype Vector3 b, valuetype Vector3 c ) cil managed { .custom instance void [mscorlib]System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute::.ctor() = ( 01 00 00 00 ) // Method begins at RVA 0x344c // Code size 121 (0x79) .maxstack 3 .locals init ( [0] int32, [1] valuetype Vector3 ) // (no C# code) IL_0000: nop // switch (obj.Next(0, 3)) IL_0001: ldarg.0 IL_0002: ldc.i4.0 IL_0003: ldc.i4.3 IL_0004: callvirt instance int32 [mscorlib]System.Random::Next(int32, int32) IL_0009: stloc.0 // (no C# code) IL_000a: ldloc.0 IL_000b: switch (IL_001e, IL_0039, IL_0054) IL_001c: br.s IL_006f // return a + (b - a) * obj.NextFloat(); IL_001e: ldarg.1 IL_001f: ldarg.2 IL_0020: ldarg.1 IL_0021: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Subtraction(valuetype Vector3, valuetype Vector3) IL_0026: ldarg.0 IL_0027: call float32 TestClass::NextFloat(class [mscorlib]System.Random) IL_002c: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Multiply(valuetype Vector3, float32) IL_0031: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Addition(valuetype Vector3, valuetype Vector3) IL_0036: stloc.1 // (no C# code) IL_0037: br.s IL_0077 // return b + (c - b) * obj.NextFloat(); IL_0039: ldarg.2 IL_003a: ldarg.3 IL_003b: ldarg.2 IL_003c: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Subtraction(valuetype Vector3, valuetype Vector3) IL_0041: ldarg.0 IL_0042: call float32 TestClass::NextFloat(class [mscorlib]System.Random) IL_0047: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Multiply(valuetype Vector3, float32) IL_004c: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Addition(valuetype Vector3, valuetype Vector3) IL_0051: stloc.1 // (no C# code) IL_0052: br.s IL_0077 // return c + (a - c) * obj.NextFloat(); IL_0054: ldarg.3 IL_0055: ldarg.1 IL_0056: ldarg.3 IL_0057: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Subtraction(valuetype Vector3, valuetype Vector3) IL_005c: ldarg.0 IL_005d: call float32 TestClass::NextFloat(class [mscorlib]System.Random) IL_0062: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Multiply(valuetype Vector3, float32) IL_0067: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::op_Addition(valuetype Vector3, valuetype Vector3) IL_006c: stloc.1 // (no C# code) IL_006d: br.s IL_0077 // return Vector3.Zero; IL_006f: call valuetype Vector3 Vector3::get_Zero() IL_0074: stloc.1 // (no C# code) IL_0075: br.s IL_0077 IL_0077: ldloc.1 IL_0078: ret } // end of method TestClass::PointOnTriangle

I added a mock random float function. For anyone who's curious, this is what a jump table looks like in C#. The switch didn't get converted to a bunch of if statements, but stays as a switch op code. This either becomes machine code or is ran by a virtual machine.

I meant what it looks like in IL, not C#.

Start by learning a song you like. The song that actually got me into playing guitar was Gene's Rock-a-Bye from Kami no Ken. Or, as someone I know calls it, Hawaii Five-O-Negative.

Attached: the weak should fear the hand.jpg (1679x903, 146.73K)

we have waypoints for the links
no more clipping while climbing
no more floating while jumping

Attached: Unity 2018-03-23 16-22-14-16.png (800x364 475.28 KB, 6.17M)

its a good system but need some limits
one cannot simply climb a sheer face without grip, so there there should be some parameters there, like grip, equipment, weight, skill

one thing I have yet to see work properly though terrain climbing, like for example Kingdom Come
you can jump over some fences and climb small step, but doesn't cover everything, so you get stuck in a slight taller fence or some hay stack

but what your goal for anyway? making these system is incredibly complicated even for triple A games

Now add a rope that can be used to traverse from roof to roof

I have a fun idea for a game, but my problem is I don't know programming, I'm a shitty artist, and I overthink things too much and make them more complicated than they should be.
I installed UE4 and have been going through some tutorials online, but man, it's so fucking much that even starting is just like "where do you start?"
Programming? Modeling? Textures?
Just gonna try to wing it to get used to UE4 and clicking around with market place assets and stuff and see what I can do and just gradually build off that.

Post your idea here so somone can steal it

Attached: THOT HOWARD.jpg (808x753, 50.13K)

Programming. Nothing else can happen until you have the basics of programming down. Even if you were a great artist, what are you going to do with your art assets if you can't program? You can make shitty placeholder assets without being skilled, or use someone else's, but the program either runs or it doesn't.

The right answer is to not start with an idea. There's a 0% chance that your idea becomes anything until you have years of practice.

Attached: 1010235.png (328x355, 64.74K)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. At least I have a comfy job where I can dick around all day and try to learn.

I know the chances are slim that I'll ever actually produce or finish it, but I figured if that disgusting meat-creature that made revolution 60 could do it, why can't I?

Thanks anons, except you Toddposter.

Oh boy, welcome to this fucking journey.
This advice is from a beginner who also started with 0 knowledge:

Start easy.
Don't.Overwork.Yourself.
This is like learning how to draw, you can't pretend to start drawing bodies if you don't know shit about proportions and shapes first.

Starting with 3D is heavy work, i suggest 2D first so you can start working through the basics while being able to see some progress.
I burned myself because i was expecting being able to do a lot in a short amount of time.
That won't happen, believe me, and will only get yourself burned too, which means stopping work and losing time.

So go and try a 2D engine first, i suggest Gamemaker (No bully, this is his first approach to code), it has a free version.

I did an exercise of "progression through game history":
Start trying to do Pong. Then try Asteroids. Then maybe space invaders, Pac-Man.
I know it might not seem as exciting, but this is beginner level, and you will also be able to see different aspects of game-dev without expending too much time working on assets.

Also, like anons before me have said: This is a discipline that groups a lot of different arts, like drawing/spriting, music, coding.
This means time, this means frustration and dedication.

Don't give up, because even if it feels stupid at first, you will smile like an idiot when you finish your first Pong and look at it go.

Godspeed user.

i did mine in a day or so, it's not that complicated
i'm not aiming for asscreed quality anyways
and i'm not using physics at all, so it should be impossible to get stuck
and this is literally only meant for buildings since i don't have any way of automatically placing the links. you're not gonna be climbin any mountains unless i say so

i don't actually have any rope models though nor do i intend to add links during runtime
do you mean like a zip line or something?

because his parents gave him 250000$ ?
anyone can make a shitty game if they actually have a budget. making one with 0$ is the hard part

Attached: Unity 2018-03-23 17-35-34-47_VP8.webm (800x364, 5M)

It's ok to work towards the game you want to make because it's good for motivation and direction, but you shouldn't expect to actually accomplish it anytime soon, especially if it's a 3D game like you implied. You'll hit your skill ceiling very fast and it'll just frustrate you when you can't make the game you wanted to make.

As long as you're patient and aren't expecting to make money out of it any year soon, then basically what said.

That had the help of about $200,000 to burn

Holla Forums pls. Control yourself.

>you're going to use them to hang niggers

Fixed everything, the main issue was in the algorithm instead of the implementation. I don't feel like I should explain the details since it's likely nobody cares about it, but the problem was that when character hit/hurtboxes change during an animation, the old find object algorithm would get confused since it'd search for something with the new box, but the tree would still have the old box stored. Still need to implement tree rotations but I'm really not feeling that.

BACK TO WORK

Attached: 1465151476907.jpg (640x930, 104.18K)

Look at this code here, there are several blocks that can use the same constructor class but don't, I have at least 9 using the same constructor now where they all had their own constructor (barring iron/gold/coal which shared one already) So I still condensed 6 plus those 3 ores into sharing a constructor. There's definitely more that could share a flexible constructor class too.
This isn't far off really.
public class EntityPlayerSP extends public abstract class EntityPlayer extends public abstract class EntityLiving extends public abstract class Entity
Entity creates >public int heartslife = 0
EntityLiving creates >public int heartsHalvesLife = 20
EntityPlayer set's the heatlh of the player by calling getMaxHealth() implemented in EntityLiving and setting the public int to 20, this is the player's starting health.
EntityPlayerSP updates health locally with public void setHealth(int par1)
using inherited getHealth(), setEntityHealth(par1) and integers inherited from the various classes it extends.

Attached: POOP.png (1531x711, 282.78K)

Attached: scott meyers.jpg (215x176, 22.95K)

but why are you spending time improving minecraft? Odds are it'd just break any existing mods, and you're not getting much out of the work you put into it

I've been trying to figure out how to name items based on metadata as is done with dyed wool, the ItemBlock class is extended by ItemCloth which creates the public string with getItemNameIS(ItemStack par1Itemstack) that returns a new StringBuilder that appends getItemName with a period and then appends again with the dye color obtained by using the getBlockFromDye function in BlockCloth to retrieve the dye name from an array of dye names which is then converted to a String
then every name that is created by this has to be manually added to the language file inside the jarfile in order to be displayed in the game

The goal is to eliminate the need for modloader and forge, making it mod-able through config files alone.
At some point there should no longer be any hard-coded items or blocks, and they will be loaded from configs like everything else. Although I'm sure this wouldn't be the end all solution to modding, but it's a step in the right direction.

Right now there is no lua error but it doesn't work either. Thank you based developers for this decision. It's not like I would like to polish my mission or anything.

Attached: 208ef1563ba0167bf6ed176ad24fde041da3877f5df08abed099bedd65fd2eb9.png (261x248, 48.91K)

RPGdev,

So I now have player rotation relative to position to the camera working. Vector3() is interesting, I still can't get over how UEngine 1 uses Y as a side to side coord and Z as up and down. I'm learning though. I thought I'd share a screen shot out of context, think of it as a possible template for scene building.

Attached: Untitled.png (1280x720, 156.67K)

I like Java and I like Object Orientation but goddamn to people take it too far.

Yeah no kidding, I don't know how the fuck notch could work like this, how can anyone THINK like this?
I need to read more through those entity classes, but I can't understand why there needs to be so much abstraction between the Entity base class and EntityPlayerSP or any mob entity class.

God forbid you have to remember how to deal with different types of data that serve different purposes. The software industry is lobotomizing itself more and more every day.

Attached: casual charls mde.png (425x728, 382.12K)

I have a question in Godot 3: is there a way to just grab the location of a node? I get the idea behind origin, but can I just grab the grid coordinates of the location of a node? Like if the node is at Vector3(2,2,0), how can I get this location instead of the origin which is (0,0,0)?

Attached: 1480495594136.jpg (300x300, 26.75K)

if a mountain of shit gets too high, eventually it crumbles and then you're forced to deal with it
at some point you're not really gonna have much of a choice and will have to fix your code because it's impossible to make it work with more recent stuff
happens to me all the time

Before and after watching Yuru Camp△

Attached: Sasha before and after Yuru Camp.png (1603x1721, 658.27K)

has anybody recently made a successful transition between Godot versions?
I seeing the need for it now, but I'm trying to drag as long as I can

Attached: cold.jpg (850x471, 64.82K)

Anyone got an example of JRPG movement? I've got some Godot tutorials with nice KinematicBody2D movement, which is nice, but I don't want that kind of constant movement, I want the player to gracefully slide from one grid-box to the next.
How would I go about that? I was thinking maybe a timer, but I do want the player to be able to hold down right, for example, and continually walk right without a hiccup (like Dragon Quest or Pokemon).

What you are looking for is called "Grid Based Movement".
youtube.com/watch?v=A7xcmDeIoLY
I apologize for the video tutorial.

No, this is perfect, thank you user.

Attached: 577a8b50ae0bcd4c58d28dad2a463fa6422611d641a8d1f6bf9d077d74c109f2.png (1100x1700, 438.19K)

did, but he's a (1) and done it seems so good luck asking questions.

This is why I have a hard time creating stories. I'd like to create an interesting story to go along with my game, but whatever narrative or plot I think of just seems formulaic and stale. I've come to the conclusion that the shape of the story doesn't mean much, and that most of the things that people will enjoy from them come from the setting and its characters. When talking about games, it's all about how gameplay helps the player explore and understand the setting and characters. But even knowing this I still kinda hit a wall because characters themselves have limits just like stories do. You're always inevitably going to have character archetypes crop up in your stories, and it takes a considerable amount of effort to make these obvious archetypes believable enough so people don't write them off as "friendly protagonist rival who also functions as comic relief character #7432".

Basically, how in the hell do you write a story?

At least now I know. This is the problem with Godot, it's got tons of great features that are barely documented.

I did, before the official release. A lot of function names had to be changed, it wasn't super easy. The other thing is that the format for materials has completely changed, since Godot now uses a physical based rendering technique now.
There's a 2.1 to 3.0 converter in the works, but who knows when it will be done:
github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/9656

t. (1)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1087x587 42.95 KB, 1.13M)

A lot of it is practice. You write a lot and share what you write with other people who know better. At first it will be garbage but eventually you'll become competent.
You've got the core of it down though, people like characters. Good story are defined by good characters. If you understand your characters well enough you should be able to just "set them loose" in the world and they will write themselves. Give them strengths and flaws, then take them out of their comfort zone and put them into situations where they struggle.
Make sure you know what their overarching goal in life is, not just their immediate goal. For example,

Holy jesus fuck on a stick networking sucks so fucking bad

Attached: eaugh.jpg (594x600, 28.42K)

I see. I guess I'll start doing some writing exercises or something then, like short stories or something. Maybe I'll check /lit/ or /tg/ or something, I'm actually not sure where on the internet people share writing besides tumblrs and deviantarts, and I'd rather not go to those places.

Is this that (((Kurt Vonnegut)))?

Enlighten me on why he's jewy

Some of you may know that I am neither Christian nor Jewish nor Buddhist, nor a conventionally religious person of any sort.
It's just your standard jewry; stealing a German name to blend in better, and then going out of his way to pretend that he's not Jewish

Attached: image.png (800x1186, 927.06K)

shit, I meant "it is your standard jewry". This is 100% standard, and makes it a lot more annoying to find jews.

So you don't actually have a reason and you're just going off his appearance?

I just gave you several reasons

I wish you idiots would just stay on your containment board. You sound like a reverse-SJW.

And I wish you'd stop crossposting from reddit.

You faggots have a copout answer for everything, just like SJW.

You can't even stop yourself from constantly using reddit vernacular.

What the fuck are you on about, autist?

I know you're from reddit, you know you're from reddit. Why not just go back?

It's a habit. You're pathetic, and I hope you kill yourself eventually, when your retarded delusions get to you too much.

your post is an oxymoron, user
though I don't know if your claim is true, as i'm not a reddit user, unlike what you've exalted yourself as (a reddit user, who knows the "reddit vernacular").

both of u can fuck off afaic, we're almost on page 13
go suck a cuteboy dick or dev until the new bread is ready to be put in the oven, faggots

Attached: c74eb5125944b6037dcd87cafc8892d1bb300dc1fb4ffff3e2f8d22b51a0be9a.jpg (1280x720, 370.87K)

that's a good goy, racist delusions have absolutely no place over here on /r/agdg

It's pretty obvious where someone is from when they start whining about "reverse-SJWs"

More like identity politics should stay in political echochambers, like Reddit, Tumblr or Holla Forums because they poison everything they fucking touch.

There's a huge overlap between Holla Forums and Holla Forums, which is fantastic, because it keeps reddit users like you out.

I think you mean politics in general

He probably means identity politics. The guy you're responding to is out on a crusade against the fact that different races are different.

Politics in general, sure, but identity politics is something that has been driving me nuts lately. For Holla Forumstards it's the kikes, for SJW's its white males, and wherever you fucking look there's a camp of either of these kinds of tards making normal discussion impossible.

I'm not on a crusade. I'm annoyed by the fact that it's always about the fucking jews for you faggots. It's like talking to a fucking parrot.

You, specifically, are reddit. You're the only person here I've called reddit. Do you know why? It's because you stick out and need to go back

i get what u mean, but it's a pretty shitty analogy.
honestly though, now that I think about it, I'd rather have sporadic Holla Forums shitposting than an invasion of reddit users
thou im going to back to dev'ing now as this feels like a waste of my time tbh

It's a decent analogy. I don't want them here, they talk in a very distinct way, and yet they're here anyway.

Saying someone lied about being a Jew while using their appearance as evidence that they are a Jew isn't adding extra evidence, it's using their appearance as evidence while saying based on that evidence they are a liar.
If I were to say that you are a Jew and you denied that, I couldn't use that as proof that you are Jewish based on the idea that Jews lie and seek to subvert because you could be telling the truth. If I had previously proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you were Jewish and you denied it, then I could use the denial to say "see how the Jew lies and subverts" but not as further evidence that you are Jewish.

As for how this applies to Kurt Vonnegut he didn't change his name once in his life. If you look at his ancestry on his fathers line he's the 4th generation of his family to be living in America, and his Great Grandfather, Clemens Vonnegut Sr., was raised Roman-Catholic but didn't like organized religion and became an Atheist. You could say he fell for the Jewish meme of Atheism if you want, but not that he was Jewish.
Please keep in mind I'm not saying he is or isn't a member of the Hebrew Race there isn't much information out there on his maternal lineage so he could be Jewish from that line just that using the two reasons "he lied about being Jewish" and "he stole a German name" as evidence towards that point is extraordinarily weak.

and its RottenRedditor again

Attached: 375600.jpg (756x268, 49.15K)

Damn it all

Go back, you don't belong and you won't

People are really, really good at recognizing faces. It only takes a little bit of awareness to recognize when you're looking at a European, a negro, or a mulatto. He's certainly not German. You can look at him and know, instantly, "that is not German". With some extra information, the second picture is almost as easy to identify as the first. His words and actions are consistent with being a kike. If it looks like Jew, and it acts like a Jew, it's obvious what it is.

every time

Attached: image.png (480x360 927.06 KB, 138.57K)

Actually, the damage you do by acting out like you do is worse. Imagine the other anons that agree that politics don't belong on imageboards, like myself. I now see that they offend people like you, who also do not belong on imageboards. Guess who is the lesser evil, faggot? If paranoid ranting about jews is what outs you people, then more power to the paranoid anti-semites. Fuck off and stay gone.

#either of these should return the global Vector3 coordinate of any node derived from SpatialNode.global_transform.originNode.to_global(Node.translation)

I'm not saying you can't use someone's appearance as evidence of their linage, because you absolutely can, I'm saying you can't use a denial as evidence that someone is something. My goal is not to disprove you my goal is to help you form better arguments.
Here's an illustration. If someone says "This is a wooden table because it looks wooden and it was bought in Russia" I'm going to say "being bought in Russia has nothing to do with whether or not the table is wooden". That doesn't mean I don't think the table is wooden, or that I don't think the table looks wooden, or that I don't think you can tell whether or not a table is wooden based on how it looks. I would be saying that a table being bought in Russia is a weak measure of whether or not said table is made from wood. That part of the argument is extraneous because it doesn't do anything to prove the point that the table is wooden.

gonna be one of these threads, huh?

Attached: tony sigh.png (961x845, 1.07M)

It's not the denial of the evidence, it's the way he presents it. It's characteristically Jewish. We've generally been more tolerant of religion than race. Jews look to exploit that by presenting themselves as just a religion. This is has some other benefits; A religion is something anyone can convert to or from. You can't leave a race. If you manage to convince people you're just a religion, you can "leave" it. It's a pattern of Jewish behavior that all comes together.
I understand what you're saying. Maybe I should have elaborated more. A table being from russia is useful information if, say, they sell virtually only wooden tables in Russia.

I'm only doing this because the thread has one foot in the grave.

That's fair enough.

For some reason those noticeable repeating textures and 6th gen polycounts give me a nostalgia boner

Should I make or play a game?

Attached: kot question.jpg (250x202, 8.47K)

make a gun and shoot yourself

What, you thought netcode was gonna be easy?

play games with blin tbh

Attached: kot i blin i smetma.jpg (1124x1024, 177.05K)

Attached: blin cat.mp4 (640x360, 6.6M)

Page 13, lads.

But can I play games with birb instead?

Attached: 20160104_105754.jpg (3264x2448, 1.58M)

Da, why not both? Game with birb i kot i blin, best of tow world

Attached: 3d60f5486daa06f5b87370cf6c2066b8df89b7306211a032c159f247e875a782.png (499x499, 21.69K)

Short game.

A-at least I have smietana

New thread
fucked it up a bit, no bully

I've read many of his books, and their shit. Well, that's not quite true. They are well written in terms of writing mechanics and design. However, the themes, and the world view they are written from is shit. Masturbatory, self-indulgent, naive. Just annoying shit to read.

Do the following:

30 minutes physical activity, pushups and whatnot
15 minutes personal hygiene
45 minutes working on a small, defined task for coding or your game
45 minutes playing a single game

Then start your weekend.