Post games with worlds that are actually interesting to explore, regardless of other considerations (gameplay, story...

Post games with worlds that are actually interesting to explore, regardless of other considerations (gameplay, story, etc.).

Attached: yumenikki.png (640x606, 47.35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ACEmulator/ACE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If Rockstar added slogan to shop names like how Simpsons did, it would've been perfection.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1600x900 2.42 MB, 2.2M)

Hekseville and Jirga Para Lhao were relaxing to run around in and explore. I had lots of comfy nights exploring the cities looking for good spots to take photos in.

Attached: Kat_Kali_126.jpeg (1024x1024, 52.52K)

lmao

Deadly Premonitions had a pretty cool open world where you could follow characters around. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I feel like there were usually time constraints or I had somewhere to be going. It helped to make the world feel larger to be constrained in that manner. The game's flaws are really obvious.

go back to cuck-
Oh wait.

Jokes on you cuckchan absolutely loves nongames.

Being able to interact with the environment is a big thing for me, so I always liked pics related.
For its approach of making smaller worlds packed with stuff to interact with (shops to enter, objects to pick up and use as weapons, 6/Kiwami 2 adding the ability to vault over stuff and break windows, etc).
Mostly for being able to climb and/or destroy most of what you can see, but also for being full of unique stuff that you can do with certain objects. One of my favourite things to do in Just Cause 2 was attach myself to one of those gas canisters and then shoot it to fly up into the air. Ditto for Ultimate Destruction letting you crush a bus to use it as a skateboard or crush a car to using it as a pair of giant boxing gloves.

This as well. Gravity Rush's worlds feel like massive playgrounds.

Attached: 220px-The_Incredible_Hulk_-_Ultimate_Destruction_(game_box_art).jpg (640x414 33.76 KB, 18.18K)

I miss that map design. GTA V's map may have been technically bigger, but both the city and the countryside were bland. SA's map had three cities and was highly diverse with the space well mapped out (yeah some places were not really used in missions but there were still fun to traverse and VC was much worse in that regard having huge plots of wasted space like that fucking beach or the airport).

I sincerely doubt that's even the case.

It is, most of the space is just used for random mountains.
Pure map space doesn't mean shit if it isn't interesting.

FFIX

Legend of Mana

Attached: airshipCity.png (645x481 505.76 KB, 370.79K)

It is bigger. Its just that most of that extra space is just fucking nothing.
The PS2 GTA games were densely packed which is what made exploration fun.

Say what you want about this game but the map in XenobladeX is fucking amazing and would have been even better if nintendo didnt neuter the game.

Attached: u9rzWiT.jpg (1810x1851 232.21 KB, 3.03M)

Asheron's Call was probably the best truly open world MMO. Every single other MMO that claimed it was open world had invisible walls blocking you off from various visible landmarks.

The only invisible walls in AC1 were out in the ocean and merely a means to prevent players from spending hours running around in a barren water wasteland. Otherwise if you saw a place in AC1 you could actually run there.

People have made the claims other games have bigger worlds, but the vast majority of those fall flat on their faces when you take their invisible barriers into consideration.

Attached: dereth.png (1536x1536, 3.64M)

oops shit pic, here's a better version

Attached: dereth-2012-05-detail-2012-06-04-test2.png (6123x6123, 5.45M)

That reminds me, I forgot to mention that there arent any invisible walls in XenobladeX either and once you get the flying mechs you can go and fly to literally ANYWHERE on the map.
You even get rewared to flying to seemingly retarded areas by finding a superboss or treasure.
You see that hole in the giant sphere thing in the second picture? You can fly inside of there and find a superboss hiding inside of there
I played the game for about 248 hours and during that time I was still discovering new areas around 200+ hours into the game that I somehow missed because the map is so large.

Is there any way to play that game today as it was in its heyday?

Nice, one time we calculated the approximate maximum run speed with buffs in AC1 at something like ~120mph. With those buffs and without using portal shortcuts it took us close to two hours to run from the north shore to the south shore!

Currently there is the open source ACE emulator project:
github.com/ACEmulator/ACE
It's making GREAT progress, but still lacks combat. You can fully explore the map though!

I recently revisited FFVII and was genuinely impressed with just how much there is to explore. Looking at the world map, there doesn't seem to be that much, but it's actually packed with shit to find and do.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1190x904, 1.61M)

Attached: SoulReaver12.jpg (2214x964 2.66 MB, 368.75K)

Myst/Riven

Attached: Exile - Escape from the Pit.jpg (534x434, 79.71K)

What games actually did randomized exploration well?

Attached: 1455756724737.jpg (500x500, 87.59K)

Excited for Firmament?

Attached: Obduction.jpg (1920x1080, 537.37K)

Except there are in fact literal invisible walls in Xenoblade X, that prevent you from going off square world map.
In fact one of the post game super bosses floats near such wall.

Attached: Cemu 2018-03-18 16-59-09-99.jpg (1920x1080 1005.51 KB, 973.12K)

This and the not-gears are literally the only reason to play this game. The censorship was a non-issue that didn't deserve to blow up and overshadow the game's actual flaws as much as it did.

Strangely enough, Shadow of the Colossus. The reigning champ of empty open worlds. It was fun to just explore around and take in the beautiful landscapes. So much artistic effort, so little to do.

That looks really pretty for a wii-u game.

It would look better than any western AAA trash released since the last Bamham if it wasn't wiiu game.

Attached: Cemu 2017-11-23 02-05-24-68.jpg (1920x1080 896.52 KB, 754.39K)

Who knew?

None. Procedural is always shallow.

Speaking of the xeno games, I thought xenosaga and xenogears had interesting areas. Both were limited by the hardware but were nice to look at.

The igavania titles at least had pretty environmental design. SOTN and POR especially. HoD should get points for the trippiest castle

You mean like this one?

Attached: formerly cucks.jpg (600x461, 30.66K)

Yeah, Xenogears has Shevat, the Babel Tower, Solaris and Sunken Zeboim. XS1 has burning miltia and the Kukai foundation, 2 had Sunken Miltia, the omega system, 3's got a ton, Fifth Jerusalem, Rennes Le Chateua, old Miltia again and on fire, Abel's ark, Michtam, Zarathustra. XS3 was a very pretty game.

Go home Holla Forums.

Civ, I guess? The beginning is sort of a exploration stage. I always found it pretty exciting, though it only lasts a few minutes.

Is this the cost of being "noncucked"?

Nah, fuck you, mate. The game was already a mess with decisions made in development by the publisher, one of the blandest party members I've seen even ignoring that she was supposed to be the protagonist, Elma was just boring, and some incredibly questionable decisions by the developers themselves. The game's world is beautiful, but the world undercuts its' central premise all the fucking time. Then there is the bullshit that the (((localizers))) added like "SMH" being character dialog.

Ah fuck you. I bet you like trundere lolis too, faggot.

Attached: 1501482107300.png (600x528, 593.83K)

Sleepng Dogs has a nice city to drive around in. Especially when blasted some Vaporwave, fits it well.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 113.33K)