COMPYOOTAH edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR MAY 5TH
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/
randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/timegettime-versus-gettickcount/
github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse
8agdg.wikidot.com/vr-manslaughter-simulator
hooktube.com/watch?v=YMI5F9oprI0
unitygamedemosarchive.blogspot.bg/
bl.uk/collection-items/first-use-of-the-word-nunnery-to-mean-brothel-1593
gimp.org/docs/python/index.html
docs.python.org/3/tutorial/
khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/EXT/WGL_EXT_swap_control.txt
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Repository_Access
forum.heroesworld.ru/showpost.php?p=564869&postcount=57
dropbox.com/s/pcq5sc3rlsvdjnw/Aseprite-v1.2.3-Portable.zip?dl=0
blog.wolfire.com/2009/07/linear-algebra-for-game-developers-part-1/
desmos.com/calculator/0gh4snawdx
helixsoft.nl/articles/circle/sincos.htm
steemit.com/gamedev/@superjustin5000/the-incredibly-useful-sine-waves-part-1-using-the-sin-function-trigonometry-game-dev-primer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiling_(computer_programming)
catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/curves-and-splines/
bellard.org/tcc/
pellesc.de/
my.mixtape.moe/tmxckz.webm
nuwen.net/mingw.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unironically kys yourself with kindness because nobody else will take care of you, so make sure you look out for yourself, anons. We're all gonna make it

/agdg/ seems slower than usual, wonder what's going on. and don't fucking say Valentine's day, you know that doesn't apply to most people here

I'm working on a big update video of what I've done since the move to Löve, will probably post on 2/22 (and the trips are just a coincidence)

Poast more updates faggots

I always look forward to seeing your progress

Especially if there is a webm

What the fuck?

So here's a question that's on the more theoretical side of things. Quite a few articles and posts online seem to think that manually invoking Thread.Sleep() is the devil's work and the sign of a poorly designed program. Yet, games run at 60 fps (give or take).

That's a lot of downtime and even if you use a timer to estimate the tick to perform logic on, you're going to max out your CPUs with checking the timer. Surely using Sleep() in this context is acceptable? Doesn't seem to matter how long I sleep either - 1ms or 16ms, and the cpu usage drops to

Nothing about that context or manually calling sleep in it seems acceptable

Then how am I supposed to avoid killing the CPU when my game doesn't do a single thing?

JQuery

made a shotgun now i can shoot police cars with it

oh my!

it was valentine's day, not really though because we don't celebrate that shit here, however it was carnival, kinda orgy valentine's day
but still didn't apply to me, I was just on holiday and officiated the relationship with my girlfriend, sorry for bragging

Do they give a reason? I can't say I've ever had problems sleeping.

It mostly boils down to nitpicky best practices shit, that has no appreciable impact on gamedev

So since Unity is available on Ubuntu, it is possible to install and dev on Xubuntu right? Is Unity 2018 also available on Ubuntu?

but I don't wanna get targeted by SJWs for posting on 8ch :(

Valentine's day suicide

hasn't it been proven that they literally don't matter?

I suppose the "proper" way to do it is to either use a Present function that blocks on vsync or figure out what timing primitives you can use to wait for vsync. I am not positive but it might be possible to roughly synchronize this way even with vsync disabled, since obviously your monitor (unless you have a gsync or freesync display) is still receiving a constant refresh rate.

Otherwise I see no problem with using Sleep to do the same, provided that you understand that Sleep waits for a minimum amount of time and not the exact amount of time you tell it. Therefore you should enable the high precision interrupt timer (so that processes switch 1000 times a second instead of 64) to minimize the chance that you will sleep "past" a frame, especially if you want to target framerates above 60 FPS.

i have a bit of a problem that is bugging me. im trying to make a town somewhat large area if i would guess without opening it up, 700x300 meters. now a friend who know more about unreal 4 then i tells me that i should us a spline blueprint instead of using modular models. so what are the advantage and disadvantage of the two? i really dont want to redo most of my map and learn that the work i put into making the modular models were for nothing, even though they are simple.

If you're game isn't SJW propaganda they're going to target you once you reach a threshold of popularity. It doesn't matter if you posted on Holla Forums.

also here is an article about the interrupt timer
randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/
He is against general programs raising the frequency but says it's fine for games and has personally used it in games he has worked on. Of note,
>There are two reasons for raising the timer frequency. One is that it improves the resolution of Sleep(n) and of timeouts on WaitForSingleObject. For instance, some games have a power saving mode that throttles the game to 30 fps and this can only be done accurately if Sleep(1) returns in one millisecond, rather than 15-16 milliseconds. By enabling a lower frame rate without requiring busy waiting the higher timer frequency actually saves energy, in this case. For details on Sleep(n) and timer frequency read Sleep Variation Investigated. Multi-media playback often raises the timer frequency for variants of this reason, but these programs should reset the frequency when they are no longer animating.
>Raising the timer frequency isn’t (despite everything I’ve said) universally bad. It can be necessary. Many games (including those that I work on) raise the timer frequency in order to allow high frame rates (100+ fps). Having a high timer frequency means we can call Sleep(1) while waiting for the next frame, which means that we save power compared to busy waiting for the next frame! My complaint is with programs that raise the timer frequency and then leave it raised for days at a time, even when the program is just sitting idle in the background. That is what bothers me.
Yeah I think you're good to go.

You know when I said faggot, I didn't think actual faggots were going to come out of the woodwork and snivel.

I hope your game fails because you don't have the balls you reprobate. Best of luck to everyone but this guy.

So… if my game is simple and doesn't need more than 60 fps, I can just leave that alone and go with the classic sleep? High resolution timers seem like a bad idea unless I'm making a very specific application

by hand ends more personal and full of soul but will take more time, unless you can't use your time on something with better ROI i can't recommend the manual method
just try it by yourself, since you are probably going to use both the only wrong choice here is to not try.

Lastly, since I assume you are the Pelles C guy rolling all of his own platform code, make sure you are using timeGetTime or something better like QueryPerformanceCounter to time your game loop instead of GetTickCount, because that apparently does not make use of the high precision timer and gives you results with 15.6ms resolution no matter what.
randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/timegettime-versus-gettickcount/

I guess but people who have monitors that go above 60hz are going to hate you.

Good, I hate anyone who needs a refresh rate higher than 60hz.

My monitor's 60hz, for reference, but in the move to Love, I've bumped the default tickrate to 120, and while I can't see the full extent of it, when testing Vsync, the camera movement especially looks jerky as hell in comparison to 120. It's probably a bigger difference for me, personally, that 30 versus 60.

Quick question: What's a good solution for enabling contextual button press when the player is near an object? For example, I'm making an RPG and I want the player to be able to interact with an npc within a certain radius. My current solution is to give the npc a collision area, and once the player is in that area it allow the npc to receive input events from the player, triggering dialogue or whatever. I feel like this is some kind of classic, and probably easy, problem that pops up in many games; are there any better/more efficient ways of doing this?

Stable > high frame rate

Even so, my little game is tile based with like 32x32 tiles so even 30 fps would suffice

In Unity, I added an "interactable" component to every object that the player has to interact with. Objects can inherit from it, and can be queried for a list of current actions they can draw from it; A beehive, for example, can be examined, or "harvested" after being examined. Each interactable maintains its internal state. After these are all gathered, they're ordered based on the priority given, and a UI polls it and changes its button presses based on that.

Not great for speed, but very simple to maintain and add to.

Do you even know what the word "need" means you triple faggot nigger

>wow, I can't play games under 120 fps! I need a high framerate!

Good thing nobody actually needs high refresh rates, and only wants them because of personal preference you righteous cunt

wew

You're either a sour grapes retard that doesn't understand what he is missing with high refresh rate monitors, or a lazy faggot dev that is unwilling to put in the work to make his game run as best as possible, which fits the indie Unity dev stereotype to a T.

the type of autist who runs games at 120 fps is guaranteed to only buy AAA games, I'm not missing out on anything

you do realize high refresh rate monitors can run games locked at 30hz and 60hz right?
Are you okay? Do you need help?
**If you do, I got you the number for the nsph
1-800-273-8255**
Please call

You do realize this is literally the same attitude and justification journos and shit devs use when they complain that gamers are "entitled" for wanting PC ports to not have 30 FPS locks?

This is simply not true, multiple refresh rate support has been a part of PC gaming going back to the 90s, but not to worry. Nobody will miss another shitty Unity game that the dev was too lazy to optimize enough to run above 60 FPS, and they certainly won't miss it when inevitably someone with a weaker computer than you tries your game and it starts chugging.

>>>/ResetEra/

The vast majority of people are going to see "60 fps" as a positive thing. Why would I go out of my way to accommodate the 1%? You might as well be screeching about my country not devoting all of our resources to making trannies comfortable.

Nigger, unless you're tying shit to the framerate like a retard you don't need to go out of your way to support higher refresh rates, it just werks.

People like you are why modern software sucks. You're using Unity, you don't even have an excuse.

You're complaining about hugely successful games and telling me not to do what they did.

I agree with you otherwise, in theory, and while I would like to do things "properly" there's just no market for that.

Does your roguelike use quantum mechanical world generation, user?
github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse

No because quantum mechanics are a lie, the world isn't chaotic, and everything is deterministic.

Did some more facial animations for patootie. This is for the chopsticks game part of her behavior. Animations are slightly faster real time because OBS was a tiny bit laggy and her new hair isn't textured yet. Body texture is outdated.

>try making an RPG Maker game go ahead, laugh as a babby's first vidya
How do you people do it? I can't begin to imagine making a game in a good engine.

Activity comes and goes, I don't think there's any significant reason for it.

Hmmmm

Stop the presses.
You can't measure quality by popularity. A lot of success comes from name recognition and marketing. This is taking advantage of the mere-exposure effect. You use marketing to make people familiar with your product and then they prefer it over things they aren't as familiar with. Quality can only go so far in selling a product, familiarity does a lot more. If you want a successful product, you market it. You don't have to make it good, only good enough. This is marketing 101.
If you want unfiltered criticism that holds your game to a certain measure of quality, we can help you with that. If you have specific programming questions, we can help you with that. If you want feedback on game-play, art, music, or writing, we can help you with that. If you want sources on how to do 3d modeling topology or pixel art, we can help you with that. But if you want your game to be successful you would be better off going somewhere else.

If you're making games based on what there is and isn't a market for /agdg/ really can't help you. If we ever make games that sell it's by accident. Mostly the people here make games for themselves.

you are probably trying to make the game as you go, you don't do that, you first do the design of the game elements and story, do some concept and place holder stuff, then make a monthly road map and then finally start working on it.

I have a math test that I am preparing for, so no updates from me until that is over

you cant because sleep only guarantees a minimum amount of sleep, not a maximum. Your game will have a lot of bad platform specific bugs if you do this. It also has terrible precision and once sleep() inevitably sleeps for a time longer than you gave it, you have no way of knowing this if you are only calling sleep. You're supposed to call sleep(1) though because this tells the scheduler that it can put another process ahead of you once a frame though, that prevents your game from eating up all of the CPU. The thing is that even with high resolution timestamps you still have to call sleep regardless because of the side effects it has on the scheduler. This is true on both linux and windows.

If there is a better function that has the same side effect I want to hear it, because I don't really like being at the mercy of sleep(). But, right now that is what works.

Actually making /a/'s Valentine's Collage is eating my dev time for a few days.

are you this guy?
8agdg.wikidot.com/vr-manslaughter-simulator
Or are you just using the same assets?

The future of video game development is Photogrammetry AKA 3D scanning real space and mapping real photographs to the 3D point maps

We already have the technology, but modern gaming rigs aren't powerful enough to handle the number of polygons coupled with the resolution of the textures applied. These have to be downscaled for consumer hardware, for now anyways.

I want to get back into game dev and learn Godot 3, so I'm making a breakout clone.

Nah.

So people will start building live action movie sets and scanning them for games?

Also, for people who want it.
hooktube.com/watch?v=YMI5F9oprI0

/agdg/ can't help anyone if they're not dealing with very basic concepts or the simplest "how to I program??" questions. Most of our more experienced programmers, or yesdevs, leave because they get no response at all the moment they want to talk about anything moderately complicated. That's not an indictment against agdg specifically, just all communities that don't have a significantly high skill-floor. In the past, whenever I'd try to talk about anything that wasn't cookie cutter or hurt someone's pride, I'd get absolutely no responses. I lived off making mobile shitware for a few years, and while that doesn't make me an actual programmer, I know what I need to do to churn out marketable shit at a reasonable pace
I'm just here because I enjoy it.

Try watching the video user, I know its hard to follow that nuMale Jap asking questions but it's some interesting shit and they're able to render complete 3D spaces this way with real world data.

I could see this happening as well. In the same way that MoCap (ie. recording the movement of real actors into 3D space) is used to aid game developers in building character animations, they could create real sets to help build 3D enviorments

It's not just that, but also because anything complex is either:
a. Hacked together to hell and back in every game. Just look at video game physics. Once you get to the little details, everything is awful.
b. Not necessary to understand. Much of math, like matrices or quaternions, is just copypasted among gamedevs everywhere because you don't really need to know how it works. It "just werks", and everything else doesn't matter.
c. Implemented in engines for you.

Those reasons represent the mindset that will never help you when you are actually solving those problems. And so, there is not a point in asking questions about those problems to such an audience.

exactly why I don't bother to post about the problems I am working on aside from showing the result after I have fixed them.

I've been perusing agdg archives and was able to snatch some .webms for games that have been discontinued long ago and whose creators have disappeared

A moment of silence for what could have been.

I already added "Waifu souls" to the wiki. Now I wonder if I should indiscriminately add even the shittiest projects or the ones that were posted only once during the first exodus

I'd add a separate page for projects that were abandoned very quickly. I don't like to see information disappear forever because it looked ugly.

I wholeheartedly disagree. but I have a CRT so I kinda need refresh rates like that to have a comfortable experience without flickering

and now

WEW

I've been trying to fix the mess that is the wiki but it is a pain. It seems most projects "on hiatus" are actually abandoned and half of the "active projects" haven't been updated in months…

To make things neater, I think it would be wise to merge Active and Mod projects as well as Hiatus and Graveyard.
Be more strict with "active" projects. Throw the ones that haven't been updated in months into the graveyard. Worst case scenario, the dev comes back and you put it back in active.

just letting you know that every time you post progress another earthquake hits mexico
have you though of selling your powers to the cia or something?

this might be a good idea. We seem to have gotten diluted.

and thanks for the good work, Archeobro. This game sure brings back good memories.
and I really appreciate you putting things in alphabetical order as I couldn't be bothered

thanks. I have some time on my hands and need to channel my autism

alright, although I just moved the numerous Doom mods to the mod page.

And what should the limit be to treat a project as "abandoned/inactive"? 4 months? 6 months? DROKdev hasn't appeared in 5 and it feels like ages. Should there be a "last date of progress posted" section in an article?

you're probably the only autist who maintains that shit, just do whatever you want

that I'll do.

well, I still add things from time to time and I'm very much behind but Archeodude really picked up the pace. I don't have any objections against him doing his own thing. Those lists were started by Eschabro anyway. I miss him.

and devs still update their project pages and I keep seeing people update and say they use the archive
also thread and demo day templates are a thing

good luck

makes perfect sense, but still disappointing

Made a start on the map editor over the weekend. Pretty rough still but has basics like creating and selecting sectors and entities, undo/redo, save/load, panning, snap to variable grid size. Next to let you edit the properties of selections and having UI for things. Probably tackle redoing resolutions and fullscreen after the editor.

I should update mine. It's super out of date.

It's not even about updatig the wiki page, more about the devs not posting progress and essentially disappearing, which you always do

now that was a mistake

rendering depends on vsync, you just need to tie main loop with the rendering speed, no?
I would think graphical languages would do vsync on their own?

guys, anyone ever wrote any sort of plugins for gimp?
I need to do some automating for batch processing of images, I kinda can work it out, python and etc
but I've never written anything in it, so I'm clueless, can you point me out some resources?

that was last week you dumbfuck

I try to post a few bits of progress per thread but it depends if what I'm working on is visual or even interesting.

I wouldn't even recommend doing it that way, I suggest not even attempting to make your 'dream game' until you've first learned how to make a game, get the basics of development down before overloading yourself with how you want it done. Otherwise you'll get frustrated when one thing doesn't work the way it should and lose motivation.

you niggahs, coming for this user is help
he was only trying to justify against retards with autism that screech about game not playing over 100fr, and we know very well it superfluous
mostly it will only matters for fast paced first person 3d shooters, and retards will claim they can't play with low frame rates,
which is a statement to how moronic they are and the type of games they do play

to be quite honest, most people won't need it, the 144hz monitors themselves are quite expensive and from what I've heard suffer from other stuff as well
and the hardware to keep up those framerates its non-trivial as well, my reasonably modern toaster can barely keep up 60fr with average quality

Since the other thread went to shit I'll spam it here too. I'm looking for a programmer more info here:
>>>/agdg/30744

How did you guys get into 3D modeling ?
Im seriously struggling to wrap my head around 3dsmax.

i got the npcs to talk to each other
too lazy to add working subtitles right now

someone make a video game where you have to build a tree house

I got into modeling after learning maya

question: is this based on the dismemberment project or 100% new?

it's been the same thing off and on for like 4 years now, i just make no progress because every year or so i get bored of the thing and the next time i usually start from scratch because the last time everything was spaghetti
don't worry, this time i'm already failing university with a very low chance of saving myself so there's no way i'll get distracted
unitygamedemosarchive.blogspot.bg/

Nice to see that half of /agdg/ is still Slavs.

literally the same thing I always do user, oh well
but your game is looking pretty fucking good, from the last webm

Haven't done much lately, but made a colored test sprite today to see whether the main character design is too detailed for my sprite size. I don't feel like it looks good and I think the shading may not be vivid/contrasting enough, but aside from the hands I have enough pixels to depict the level of detail I want. Might want to reference how SF3 did it later.

wow, that's quite an improvement!

Hey, can you share all of the stuff about raycasting you've used to make this engine ?

That's a BSP engine

Just use Doom/Build faggot

Are you the femrobot drawer?

She reminds me of one of the best waifus

And the hair reminded me of a certain tweet

I grew up around nuns, I can confirm what she said.

I gave a bunch of links to things I referenced in a previous thread. If you check the archives from the wiki you should be able to find them.

Nah I've not used BSP trees since November or something.

Be careful that you don't give yourself years of spritework to get done.

3DPD nuns are shit and usually dykes. There's absolutely nothing in the Bible about monks or nuns anyways and they're pretty much some bullshit Catholics made up that happen to have nice outfits.

God damn, people just say, "oh, just use the connect button and point it to the script where you want shit to trigger", but it doesn't work. Maybe there's some step I was fucking up?

What the fuck are you talking about? Of all the nuns I've met, they either felt indifferent towards homosexuality or actively disliked it.

she is right tho

burn yourself heretic

Which femrobot are you even thinking of?

But it makes no sense to put a cute girl in clothes that don't accentuate her cuteness or femininity, and it makes no sense to have a girl protagonist if she isn't cute.

Years of spritework is pretty much what it's going to become. I just hope I'll have fun with it.

Surely if real life nuns had been moral throughout history, nunnery wouldn't have become a synonym for whorehouse.

now with subtitles, works without audio too
i am definitely not doing the entire scene

Reminder that Martin Luther married a nun after smuggling her and some friends out of a nunhouse and Thomas More was so butthurt he declared fucking nuns was basically the same as incest.

I didn't say I don't like it. If you subscribe to the "games are art" approach, such freedoms are perfectly acceptable imo. Nun Catherine just stated a truism about IRL nuns.

and I'm not gonna take the bait, 1b1a58 thanks for the interesting trivia, though pax vobiscum

Since you know python, would PIL be enough for what you want to do?

This guy.

chek'ed
plus, their nice outfits are only robes realistically speaking,

but it isn't, where have you got that idea?
its just that they're good fap material when turned into a slut nun, something of the like

ahhh glorious, at least one user to the rescue
but I don't, never wrote it before, can barely read it, am already having a hard time with this "tuple" bullshit

what I want is to batch process them on gimp, since there is where my images already are, with ordered layering and positioning
the name of the layers are tagged with info, what I want is to show/hide/delete these layers based on their tag

bl.uk/collection-items/first-use-of-the-word-nunnery-to-mean-brothel-1593

too bad there ain't more about the etymology other than "ironic use of the word"
it must have interesting sociological reasons behind it, though

That's hot

What?

you'd probably have an easier time writing a script with imagemagick to do your processing

I would say "lurk more" but I think it's something that you'd have to search for in the archives.

Sorry to disappoint man, I don't know enough about gimp (I didn't know you could actually tag layers names, for a start) to do more than guessing.
I'd thus try to export the layers as pictures, only to then process the ones you want outside of gimp. It should be possible to export a bunch of layers while keeping their individual info, as their filename for instance.

No, that's not me.

someone make a game where you play as a crab who snibbs things

I thought I recognized the feet.

That image is wrong in many ways

"The half sphere that makes the front of the shoe."

you can post a blogspot link or whatever

maybe contact monitor was set to 0

What's the best language to use with Godot? Anyone use any of the bindings like Nim?

Oh user. Oh, poor, naive user.
You are correct in that A FUCKING VSYNC SHOULD BE SUPPLIED AND RELIABLE. But, no. Not on PCs. Shit platform. Always was, always will be.

Vertical sync does not actually change the amount of frames that the game renders or how much CPU the game uses. The only thing it does is display one image for every one period of the monitor. So, if there are three frames being drawn over each other during one period of the monitor this will cause tearing. An implementation of Vsync will just discard two of those frames, eliminating tearing. It does not slow down the program's execution.

Also a Vsync is supplied and reliable, it is implemented in your graphics drivers so as long as you have good drivers you are OK.

This whole thing about timing by using Sleep() to limit framerate instead of timers is also ridiculous and not how any working game limits framerate.

not really, primarily I don't really to do batch imaging processing on them, I want to run a batch process on the layers themselves, their position, their depth, that kinda stuff, that would otherwise be useless outside of gimp itself

its just the name and running a regular expression on them, I didn't know shit as well, I just had the luck of another dev helping me with this some eons ago
but with this I think I can make do with what I have, some links for reference
gimp.org/docs/python/index.html
docs.python.org/3/tutorial/

double dubs of truth, but I think this is false
take openGL for example, I don't know how it ties into main loop, but plenty if not most of game engines tie rendering speed with mainloop,
so given their pace/speed from something else, like you've said the gfx card, and even just constant step
most likely its render call being within each iteration of its mainloop
I know for a fact most games engines *should* work like that, for example godot does that, if it wasn't for frame limiting, it just ramps up to your PC capacity in rendering
consoles are also a big example of this, when faster rendering in emulators can cause issues with physics/audio and everything else related
but pretty much all game engines should have a time step control mechanism of some sort

why not gdscript? I been using godot since 2 began development and I have to say its a pretty good language

I'm having trouble understanding your English, since it's so broken, so I might not have the best answer for you. A lot of the sentences you are writing don't make any sense.

This is how OpenGL specifies Vsync:
khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/EXT/WGL_EXT_swap_control.txt

It explicitly says that the only thing this is required to do to be compliant is to display only one image per X video frame periods on the monitor. The game program itself is not effected by this and it is purely a change made in the OpenGL driver. This is how in your graphics drivers you can do things like force vsync on all of your games- which don't even have to be aware that vsync is on.

How can you grow up around so many talented people, have so much help available to you, and yet still turn out to be the worst agdg cancer on the market?

baffling

They are always the most incompetent fuck ups that refuse to learn anything, accept any information, or do work
With the hard on Gabe has for VR, you would think his son would of added that into it, or be pushed that way by his father.

Because he didn't have that, he had Valve.

yeah because valve never did anything original smug.gif

pretty much what other user said, I'm amazed he didn't just turn out to be a stoner and give up all material possessions to live up in the wilds

At least he has the staff to backup his crazy goals. I find myself often amazed at what just one person can do in these threads. If we actually could co-ordinate into a small team like Gray has done, probably be able to make some serious shit.

color me SHOCKED

nah thats not me, i don't have any VR kit to develop with
that asset pack was like 20 bucks on sale so you may see it around a bit

Coordination is easy. The hard part is everything else.

It's theoretically possible, but not likely at all.

Maybe that's precisely the problem? He sees all these talented people working on big games and thinks he can do the same.

Unreal Gold dev here, made it so the player is now arbitrary class that exists on the map and passes player input to 'hero' ScriptedPawns. Problem is the fuckers just slide forward and don't rotate any direction or play their walking animations. So uh, progress. Will post a video soon.

i have a feeling that getting /agdg/ to work cohesively together would be like stuffing 20 stray cats into a garbage bag, lighting it on fire and kicking it down a hill
there's also the issue of where the money is coming from to keep the devs paid because we all broke as shit

lol no,pro bono or go bust

Basically this.
I've worked remotely with people doing stuff pro-bono before. I know the statement is cliché, but without strong leadership and a clear vision things eventually fall apart.
If anyone wants to take charge they have to understand that saying some version of "do whatever you want" kills projects like a virus. People are looking for leadership and direction. If there isn't a list of work to do people will end up doing nothing. You need goals and rules.

What I want to know is how would one even start recruiting into something like this? Would it be best to have a design document ready before hand or just an outline of the project? Recruiting people using only an atheistic and/or genre obviously isn't going to work out long term, but how much is enough to get people on board and working towards a common goal?

Like all business plans you need goals first.
Goals need to be reasonable and written down. How do you want to achieve those goals? Write down things you want to use.
Create a spec for everything. Design things before you get to work (UML etc.)
Adopt a model like scrum so you can make sure you stay on track.

All of this is very unlikely to happen without a rigid organization forcing you to do it.

now that I finally watched the video, some notes:

I like this guy

go away gabe jr, you're not foolin anyone

Sure thing Todd, you make the best games anyway, amirite?

Forming a team here would be neat, though there’s a huge but, and that’s that each dev has their own style to developing (so workflow, expertise, writing style, planning methods, procedural v. Design paradigm focus programming; or more experienced ones do); which is their own toolset of approaches that they leverage to get done, what they get done.
Personally, i find that being “tied down” by a team really limits what I actively want to contribute to, as its then not a game for “me”, it’s a game for “us” (I.e. you need to account for their approach to an idea/mechanic/etc). This is less of a concern if it’s say someone with the same “vision”, but this is rare except for maybe childhood friends or people with long histories of disussing this (like the cooking-user and his grass-bro).
Now this isn’t a big deal if they’re willing to have true arguments, and settle it based on what would really be the best approach without hard feelings; though this is difficult with the current social climate in most cases (average person can’t argue without leaving out emotion, and arguing in a Socratic sense to derive the best approach is totally foreign to them).
So, in essence, some anons work better alone, and deliberately as to not having their “vision” tainted by another (except in special cases). This line of thinking is mostly projection, but I’m sure a few anons relate.

Using unity, can someone explain this? Why does it access base?
Save New Duplicate & Edit Just Text Twitter12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455565758// StayInPlaceusing UnityEngine;public class StayInPlace : MonoBehaviour{ public bool ModifyXPos; public bool ModifyYPos; public bool ModifyZPos; public bool UseLocalXPos; public bool UseLocalYPos; public bool UseLocalZPos; public Vector3 Position; private void LateUpdate() { Vector3 position = base.transform.position; if (this.ModifyXPos) { if (this.UseLocalXPos) { position.x = base.transform.TransformPoint(this.Position).x; } else { position.x = this.Position.x; } } if (this.ModifyYPos) { if (this.UseLocalYPos) { position.y = base.transform.TransformPoint(this.Position).y; } else { position.y = this.Position.y; } } if (this.ModifyZPos) { if (this.UseLocalZPos) { position.z = base.transform.TransformPoint(this.Position).z; } else { position.z = this.Position.z; } } base.transform.position = position; }}

Absolutely. I think the biggest thing dragging down chances of a successful collaboration of /agdg/ posters are as follows:
>Lack of clear direction when assembling a team Never do this. You should assemble a team because you know exactly what you're doing, but merely lack the manpower to achieve it solo
For Gray and his team, he's actually got all (or at least most) of his staff together in person and in an office. While his game seems like it could easily be prone to feature creep he at least has a clear direction. Open-World Sci-Fi FPS-RPG with an emphasis on providing tools to the community so that it can have community driven content(The way Valve did things before hat economies made their noses go crooked). In short, while his project is ambitious, he at least seems to have a good team together (both in terms of skills and the literal sense of working in-person), keeps everyone working on relevant features and a strong creative direction for the game Even has investors interested and waiting on their gameplay prototype. Basically everything past /agdg/ collaborations didn't have.

If you look at open source development, they're also mostly 100% online and structureless. For example Xonotic development.
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Repository_Access
It could either be a main developer or by consensus. The hurdle would be to get a finalized idea and stick with it.

It would have to be something conceptually simple for the lot of retards here to actually be able to get any work done agdg roguelike when?

It could work for a game engine, with a level creator and all that. Think Mario Maker but on a far bigger scale, and open source of course. But you couldn't really make a game like that. Software usually has main features, and then the rest is fixes and quality of life additions. But a game needs a very specific list of features. Any weapon/move that you would make would unbalance the rest of the game.

oh no!

I dunno about you, mate, but I wouldn't want the final product to be comparable to Mugen.

well loved, thousands of user-created characters, and still being streamed decades after being released?

A lot of custom maps aren't balanced for the reason that not ever user is a good level designer. The Xonotic devs don't add every custom map to their repo as an official map either- they mainly have a mapping team and a set of maps to consider official.

on that note, nothing pissed me off more than trying to have some fun playing mario maker
HAHAHAHAH HOLY SHIT I LOVE THAT

The fuck is wrong with you? Mugen is the pinnacle of community driven content. Practically infinite content, content still being produced as we speak, standalone games have been made using Mugen as a base. If you want the content to be balanced, modify it yourself or only install content that plays well together Pretty sure there is also a mod that normalizes stat values automatically that Salty Bet uses.

I did not admit you were right you 60hz loving subhuman I hope you get raped by a billion nigger cocks

redoing animations for my game, the skeletons now slump down so they look directly at you, before and after

I'm not 100% sure but I think that C# passes a reference to the class instead of the class values, so when you make "position=base" you are directly changing base. To get past that you need to manually assign every value you want to use (position.x=base.x and etc.)

I've just been doing a whole bunch of under-the-hood stuff lately. Maintenance is boring but improves things down the line.
I've also been taking a bit of time off to play vidya and remind myself why I love vidya so much. Been going through the Megaman X series. Man, X and X4 is good shit. X5 is okay-ish.

Maybe my next project will be something Megaman-styled. Lord knows Capcom isn't gonna do anything with X anymore.

>agdg roguelike when?
After I'm done with my text adventure.

Fugg

forum.heroesworld.ru/showpost.php?p=564869&postcount=57
Anyways, here's a picture of how its map generation works, I thought it was neat stuff for /agdg/. Basically each node on that map is a zone, full of treasures, maps, collectables and so one, and the edges between them are guarded by monster packs of various levels.

So if you looked at the 2sm2c template (pic related), you'd be the red player and it would be designed so that it's much easier to flow into zone 4 from the start than from the other areas.

How suitable is GIMP for creating pixelshit?

It's usable, but there are better programs like aseprite and pyxel edit and probably more.

The only thing GIMP is suitable for is editing images. For any other purpose you'll find a better program for free.

Strongly recommend Aseprite I actually bought it but you can compile it for free

dropbox.com/s/pcq5sc3rlsvdjnw/Aseprite-v1.2.3-Portable.zip?dl=0

Should I stick with the GUI/button that Godot offers by default, or should I implement my own? It seems that the default Control node contains just about everything I'd need to make GUI and menus and such, but I don't know if there are any inherent drawbacks for using it.

he also doesn't seem like a lizardmen when giving a interview (insert Zukenberg webm here)

speaking of which, where can I find mugen stuff again, I could do with some lewd fights
I remember that shit in the turn of the century, and how wonderful it was, also cool music tho

evidence 1

user's statement

you did though, evidence 1 agrees with the statement user made, which is
> cunts need high framerates
I rest my case your honor

you should make use of them, and most of the godot objects are pretty useful on their own scope
if you need additional behavior you can pretty much just extend it via scripts
and of course you should see GUI skinning to make themes and such

And in the worst case scenario, Godot is open source so you can even change the backend implementation of the buttons.

Cool, that's kinda what I was worried about. As long as I can extend the base functionality of them if I need to.

Are there any tutorials for automatically placing tiles in Godot? Or am I better off just reading the docs?

Are you guys still arguing about that?

There's only so much minor writefaggy characterization tweaks can do: as it stands Uncommon Time would work much better as a film, book, or comic rather than trying to shoehorn Alto in as the player character.

save me, sigamdev

this looks right

it's SHIT just like YOU an your SHIT little ms SHITTY

that isn't nice

Today is some fucking shit. I just want to work on my game. I CAN work on my game, and I would be, if EVERYTHING wasn't draining my energy.
I'm just going to bed.

have you tried earphones and white noise?

My artist sent me a level that he clearly spent a lot of time modeling. He unfortunately spent absolutely zero time testing it out with the character so it's absolutely terrible.

How do I tell him I can't use this?
fuck

its in my pic related user….

send him the character and let him see for him self

Hi new devfag here, still in college and learning shit would like to create sound for games and already have an idea on how unreal works. Any tips to not get cucked?

That's easy
I'm not paying you

I did he's just kind of against fucking around with unity, I don't know why

probably because
and he doesn't really know much

I'm not paying him. We're doing this for fun

highlight parts of it that need to be reworked. depending on the issues it might be an easy fix.
communicate more earlier on tho. it's always easier to move around cubes and shit than finished models.

He just did it without telling me anything, I couldn't even fucking stop him

What you should do is identify what aspects of the level you both like aesthetically, and then work those aspects into a level that's navigable for the character. If he spent a lot of time on it you should at least make an attempt to use his work somehow; if he's serious as someone who takes pride in their work I'm sure he'd understand that all artistic endeavors require iteration and improvement. If he gets pissy about it then all that means is that he isn't serious about the craft he's working on.

Post progress.
Try not to be too disheartened by people calling it terrible.
Try not to be too disheartened by being ignored.

I literally used those shitty equations for particle motion that they teach you in physics class in high school, the ones newton invented or something. This can explain why the movement felt so weird in the engine…

Since I saw your posts about game loops, assuming you are also ba619e, I can tell you that, the foundation of having physics that actually work is to have a high precision timer. Millisecond-precision time is not good enough. You also can't use Sleep to limit frame-rate (but you do have to call Sleep(1) every frame to avoid killing the CPU).
Vertical sync is something that people don't get , they think that it will limit their program to 60fps for them, when really all it does is eliminate tearing and nothing more. I had to write a bunch of programs and see their flaws for me to abandon each of these misconceptions of how it all worked.

Anyway cause it looks like you are using unity I assume that it has a timer that works fine, so guess you shouldn't need to worry about it. You should look up stuff about physics, because a lot of the equations they explain you can copy into your code, and if you don't like how something works you can just change it to get the result you want. I dont know how much you know about physics, maybe you are really good at it and I don't need to tell you that, but that's how I did it.

Hey sorry for not seeing this post, don;t worry I am using QueryPerformanceCounter and have been for the entire project. My timers are doing good now

How do I learn math.
every resource I go to feels like I'm trying to pass a test rather than to learn and create your own functions and formulas.
I tried searching for 'for games' and stand alone math. Games were really confusing because I didn't understand the basic shit of math formulas, therefore I would be lost on why a certain example would work. The other stand alone was like I said, didn't do any explaining but just tells me what to do and what patterns to look for.

blog.wolfire.com/2009/07/linear-algebra-for-game-developers-part-1/

this looks something more related to positions in games

what I want to make is an rpg, so I need to know status and damage formulas and functions etc.
or I'm a brainlet and I'm missing something from the source.

What level of math education do you have? You should understand calculus if you're going to be programming games. Most of the "hard" math has to do with rates of change over time, whether it's damage formulas or player movement. You should either take a class or watch khan academy videos and work through math textbooks while working through the problems in them.

the best thing I have is graduating an amerifat high school, I never went to college.

Khan academy sounds promising so I'll try that.

The problem is having a project you can believe in, for something like that retarded unreal 4 resident evil clone it looked well shit, and poorly defined, I believe in my ideas, wew, but who doesn't, still have yet to find an idea someone else is working on to believe in, I'd be fine trading workloads with people though.

Hey my stupid nigger ass is back at it with making gaem. Today I'm working on viewmodel sway/bobbing. Swaying was easy enough, it was just a single lerp considering the velocity of the model, but the bobbing is a little more involved it seems.

I've boiled it down to the idea that I need to find an equation that I can plug into a function that will give me a lemniscate pattern when I feed it a float progressing from 0 - 1. The rest is a single lerp.

Now the problem is that I didn't study good in school so I don't know how to achieve picrelated. Please help me, wizards.

he is raping the cubes, so instead of mindless killing we got mindless raping, i would call that progress

Isn't that just a sine wave on the X axis and a sine wave on the Y axis but at half speed?

oh look, it sorta is! I hope it won't look snappy on the sides when I implement it. Thank you, user

this gif puts all the earlier posts of you shitting on tech-savvy people into perspective. You will see the light, though. Just as you will learn making your dream game.

Nevertheless, what Ika said: first read what mathematical equations that virgin savant Newton used to describe the movement of objects. Contrast and compare that to the physics Unity uses.
If you want physics-based movement in Unity the first law of motion will be very important.

If that physics-based method makes the jumping too floaty and erratic, you'll have to hard-code a nice parabolic arch. Hell, maybe you can even use trigonometric functions for that, that should be easy.

this applies to you

I can implement this as a viewmodel animation, but since I'm working on my game alone, I'd like to keep as much as possible abstracted, and either procedural or programmatic.

what

meaning that I'd rather implement a function to bob shit based on a few parameters than have to fuck with an animation for every single viewmodel in the game. Work smart, not hard and all that.

I don't understand if you mean this to say that it's easy or hard to do trig. I remember doing it in school, and if I kinda more or less got it how hard can it be?

it isn't, that's why you should use it. That bob you want to achieve can be done with three lines of code using sin()

You can write it down if you want, user. The way I was thinking to do it would be more than 3 lines, I think. But I did tell to the other guy above that I would use sine wave, so I'm not sure what you were trying to say?

Sorry, I'm just a dumb nigger redundantly repeating what that other dude said, missing his post. Gimme a sec, I'll write write it down.

I wanted to write the code but I don't know what language you're writing in and this was far easier
desmos.com/calculator/0gh4snawdx

Whoa, thanks! This is great! Did you come up with this just by thinking about how trig would work, or did you look it up and figure out from there? I could never think in trig intuitively, so that's why im asking.

I knew what to expect somewhat because I knew how Sin and Cos worked. But I had to do some tweaking to achieve the effect you asked for. Hope I didn't take too long.

And sorry for being harsh before but by saying it's easy, I meant it. Once you start imagining what the waves generated by those functions look like, you'll be able to use them for things you can't be bothered to animate- breathing, wind, heartbeat, radar screens etc.

I once found a really cool article that proposed the use of trig for many other things and gave examples of ways to mix them up in inventive ways. Can't find it now, unfortunately, I'll try to look for it.

Thanks, man. Hearing about these things from people who are on good terms with then always seems to help me understand much better.

At this point, I'm just trying to give the player momentum, and then smoothly stop them from entering geometry. Should I understand all of that about physics to do that?

If sigmadev is lurking here, you should consider dropping support for webp since it suffers badly from generation loss and since you support FLIF already which is doing better then png and jpg anyway.

You might want to check out helixsoft.nl/articles/circle/sincos.htm which has a bunch of examples of where sin and cos are useful if you're not familiar with their applications.

yeah there's this as well
steemit.com/gamedev/@superjustin5000/the-incredibly-useful-sine-waves-part-1-using-the-sin-function-trigonometry-game-dev-primer

These aren't what I remember reading. That one was really cool, with a nice sense of humor to it.

webm related

no, just newtonian physics. And that only at only at a level that will make you comfortable with vectors
And only if you want to use a physics-based character controller. You could just use the built-in CharacterController.

Thank you, both!

it isn't, but it could be, being two proper circles instead, but then you have to switch the function when it reaches the edge to complete for other half of the graph

or do this one, pretty fucking cool tho

yeah I too find it hard to visualize that stuff, specially when you have a combination of waves like that (basically 3d graph)
make sure to hit us up if you find the article

Didn't realize side swaying was a lemniscate shape. Is there ever a situation where you change the camera's Z-up normal?

Also isn't this just a function of scaling the x axis so its twice as frequent as the y axis?

how about you try this

Doesn't really matter if you unrotate the vector by the actor's rotation.

That's one way to refer to your wife I guess.

Have you tried not being such a fucking downer and relax a little? You're irritable as fuck, that much is clear. You need to learn to make your body relax somehow. Hot baths, meditation, jogging, etc.

Your pets are your responsibility. They do what they do. You having these pets has a direct consequence of them doing things that they're doing. If you don't like them doing these things, give them away. Ignore the neighbor, put on headphones. And this last thing gets me:

Depression is a valid mental illness that kills people. My girlfriend has depression. I also have depression. We both help each other - talk about what's on our mind. Help separate good thoughts from bad. We make each other feel better. We take care of each other - make comfort food or watch a good movie together. This I do because a relationship is a responsibility wherein the both of you put in equal effort to get a net positive out.

I don't want to be unproductive here but you sound incredibly immature, like your emotional intelligence is in the gutter. Learn how to handle your feelings and act like an adult. Own up to your responsibilities and stop blaming minor distractions and "annoyances" (in reality your own responsibilities brought on by your own choices) for your lack of progress.

Lol

Lewd, don't teach your pets to masturbate.

i think this is the wrong demo

SAD

Fuck off, Biggs

What should I look out for in terms of performance hits?

Are raycasts and spherecasts the biggest problems in that regard? How many can I use at the same time?

If I install QtCreator on Windows does it come with compiler?

And no I don't want to install Visual Studio.

been posting in this thread a bit, here is an image

I am not using lossy WebP images anywhere, I am only using lossless images. Right now all of my textures are stores as FLIF and FLIF seems to beat WebP 100% of the time on larger images, however on a lot of my smaller images (think 128x128 and lower) it is kind of a toss up between WebP and FLIF where they manage to beat each other on an image-per-image basis. So, that's my rationale for continuing to support WebP. Generation loss is only an issue with lossy images that I don't use.

Congrats, I suppose, user.
Enjoy your nonexistent sales.

You mean my millions of sales and my indie goty award?

From Buzzfeed.

The only SJW indie games that did well are Life is Strange, Gone Homo and Undertale, the last of which did well because of jewtubers and furries and the first two are comparatively mild in their liberalisms.

It's bullying time!

Those games are literally SJW propaganda walking simulators. They're are nowhere near mild.

Compared to other indieshit, that exists only to say "fuck Drumpf"? They at the very least attempt to be games, even if they fail at it desperately.
Gone Home is just a boring walking simulator where you walk around a house, and there's some lesbians.
Life is Strange takes place in a fairly liberal school, and the protagonists are definitely leftists, and they're dykes, of course, but again, it's "I have time travel powers, let me do nothing interesting with them".

If just having lesbians and characters with leftist views in your game is enough to warrant such a reaction, then I'd have to put Overwatch in that basket as well. And while few will argue that Overwatch is a good game, it's not exactly SJW propaganda.
I'm not arguing that these are quality games, quite the fucking opposite, they're amazingly shit, and by no means are they pushing pure Christian values. It's simply that there are so many worse examples, 'games' that are actual propaganda, where the villain is quite literally Donald Trump and the protagonists are illegals, or BLM, or something of the sort, that compared to that, especially in the eyes of the average normalfag, Life is Strange might look comparatively normal.

The worst crime these two games committed was having shit writing, shit characters, shit stories and no gameplay - being bad games with no fun, in other words. But at the very least they resemble actual games.
Never in my life would I have thought that the industry would become so shite that I'd have to defend these piles of drivel.

A lot of people think overwatch is a good game.

Few people on this site, I meant.

Also

remaking female model

At first I thought it was a colorful gondola with some kind of warrior helm. Most of the topology looks good, although I think the calves look a bit too thicc and somethings up with the waist but I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Nice lv. 0 chest :^)

Undargayle is actually good
retro is style and got a original concept for the history, its still gay but whatever
the other two are shit indeed

I don't like the game, but…. just to clarify
its about how you can't change the past and coming to terms with it
I thought that much was clear to most people, no?

Feels fucking GOOD

there is no such thing as "too thicc"
unless we are talking about 3dpd or actually obese characters

If feel like that's a very overused message in a lot of stories, and it's even dumber in one that involves a mechanic in where it's very existence makes immutable past event mutable. Granted, I haven't played Life is Strange, but how is this set up? Is the whole point that even with the literal ability to change the past, people still can't get over it?

Then you haven't looked hard enough.

That is very interesting actually

You don't need fucking calculus to shit out an RPG

An RPG can be as simple or unnecessarily complex as you want it to. There are hundreds of ways to get the same final result, the only thing you need to do is to keep it consistent.

I threw this together in an evening for you, and it's very simple.
Every attack has a type - weapon or regular. The regular attack power would go up with every level, but the weapon's attack would depend on what you have equipped, most likely. Each attack has that type. So in this example, Moon Man's shot uses a weapon, but his stomp uses just his physical strength.

Each attack has a likelihood of hitting or missing. So in this example, Moon Man shooting might miss occasionally, but him stomping a nigger in the face wouldn't make sense to miss, so it hits every time.

Each attack has an element of randomness to it. The stomp in this example does generally the same amount of damage, whereas the shot varies more (we can pretend that it depends on what body part Moon Man hits).

Lastly, there's dubs, which in this case, is just critical hits, which double your damage.

The damage calculation is simple. First, it counts whether the attack hits. If it does, then:
Damage (uses weapon atk or regular atk depending on attack) * randomness element ( depends on attack) * 2 if he got dubs - enemy's DEFENSE.

Or to simplify it, it calculates how much you hit for, takes away the enemy's defense from that.

I'm sure there's criticisms to be made for this system, and you certainly have to experiment and see what works, but this is a basic example.

As for leveling up, pick a base level, pick what you'd expect the average level to be by the time you got to the final boss, figure out the stats you'd have at those two spots and raise the stats accordingly.

(checked)
Ah good to know.

If you want anything besides brainlet tier RPGmaker trash you do.
This is basic shit you would do in the first week or two of a calculus class. Linear algebra is a terrible meme and 99% of the shit you need from it can be learned from multivariable calculus.

What would you use a derivative in an RPG for exactly?

give me one example in which you actually need derivatives
you can pretty much do anything with curves

Use a profiler instead of asking questions that have no answer.

character acceleration
literally anything that uses delta time

why though
there's simpler ways of doing that

Why would you bother doing advanced calculus when there's dozens of libraries for curves already written?

Also that has nothing to do with rpgs

can you elaborate on this?

Just a reminder

A search engine can. It's entirely dependent on your language or engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiling_(computer_programming)

just poo in the loo pajeet

there's literally no reason to use derivatives when you can use a curve though
you're the one being retarded

You have to know physics to implement a physics system for your game. And you need to understand derivatives to know how physics works.

It's easy to see how math can help you once you already know it; but if you don't know the math, you can't understand until you know it.

If I am throwing a ball and it's position over time can be represented by the curve -x^2, how fast is it going at any given time?

You're acting like using "curves" somehow means that you don't need to take derivatives to use them.

but we're talking about rpgs
where the fuck do you need complicated physics in an rpg
again what for, there's libraries for this shit
magnitude of current position-last position?

Uh, you're talking like a curve (some plotted function x over y) isn't related to derivatives at all. Even if you use a library for a "curve", you'd still be using derivatives.

What do you mean by curve? Are you talking about a polynomial expression?

i'm talking about this

i'm 99% sure it wasn't related to derivatives

what the fuck is that tyreese

no wait, i'm wrong, apparently we do need derivatives for fancier things
catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/curves-and-splines/
i always thought you just lerp the points+tangents

it's a curve you dingaling

I can tell what it is
the ass/tight/calve ratio is pretty good, but they're a bit too thick for that torso size
usually the small ass to waist ratio is good, but they also should get normal at the chest size
pics for reference

I was about to say that uses calculus under the surface but it looks like you found that out for yourself

have you ever seen Donnie Darko? is kinda the same thing

I haven't actually played the game, I've watched it no bully, its better then playing the shit
but the gist of it is that, she watches a random girl get killed in the bathroom (I think because of drugs as well)
and discover a new found ability to go back in time to save her, but no matter what shit keeps happening and her getting killed
until culminating into a shitstorm apocalypse event, so in a sense she could have really had that ability,
or just some crazy imaginative metaphor for watching a strange being killed and coming to terms with it….

there where its similar to Donnie Dark (and Butterfly Effect coming to think of it),
but the main difference in the movie is that, the protagonist is the one that escapes death and sees the shit happening
so it could be interpreted with just he experiencing death, the meta crap is not (and doesn't need to be) explained

Basic physics is not complicated physics.
What if you want to do something the library doesn't let you do? Where do you think those libraries come from? How do you know the implications of what you are doing with the library?

That's an approximation and takes more calculations than the actual answer, which is to take the derivative (-2x), giving you the instantaneous velocity of the ball.

Again what is being explained is that you should have an understanding of how this stuff works, because it is the kind of thing that will limit you to being at the mercy of everyone else to do absolutely everything for you. And when it doesn't do what you want you won't even be able to see how to change it because everything you use is a black box, even the most basic, simple things like moving your character about.

I'm not saying you don't need calculus and physics to build an engine or game from the ground up, I'm just doubting your claim you need them for rpg gameplay

Christ even the really basic stuff you're talking about is so simple it can be implemented without actually losing your mind studying algebra

That's because it is simple. I'm not talking about some kind of advanced topic. Also see

I can relate to that

Is possible to make a living off composing music for videogames?

Or am I fucked for spending time learning a useless skill?

You're a dumb frogposter, so your music is probably shit.

You probably can if you're good enough, but you need to actually put your name out there. It'd be good to have a fairly successful game under your belt, and until then, just post stuff on jewtube or wherever and send people emails with links.

it depends if you make music for something which actually gets popular enough to spread awareness for you

the torso will look better once it has shoulders, but if it still looks too absurd i will make adjustments

Should I not be subdividing my faces like this?

You shouldn't have that many n-gons in the first place. One of the reasons quads are important because they can be continually subdivided. When you subdivide if you are creating n-gons something is wrong, unless you have a good reason for doing that.

That's what I suspected, thanks user

The issue here is that you follow a different development philosophy to that of /agdg/, and that mantra being "just like make game".
You, "just like make an engine, maybe a low-effort tech demo game" (bit harsh, but true), and differ here quite a bit from the tried and true philosophy of agdg.
Thus, you see here that there's a significant difference in perspective for the mental components that interlink as to cognate the meaning of "making rpg formulas".
The former has a sentiment of wanting to cut through the bullshit, using what works, and making games; learning all you need on the way (be it low to high lvl mathematics, 3d modeling, and the many other skills) while most importantly… just like making an actual game.
Imo the /agdg/ philosophy is pragmatic, as it encourages one to fail quickly, and to therefor learn quickly.
Although, that's not to say one shouldn't learn calculus (or the branches of mathematics thereof that are directly gamedev related), but one shouldn't put gamedev on hold to "get to that level" of math.
On the contrary, one should try what works, experiment, explore what they're curious about, and learn what they need. Furthermore, there will be an intrinsic process of learning calculus (& branches thereof), and that's supported by the point that a lot of the core concepts of calculus (esp. branches of calculus) are directly gamedev related; so they'll be learned by most here who finish a game (due to being curious about the camera f.e.).

Luckily for most here, a lot of the most useful calculus concepts are really intuitive if one has experience with game dev related programming, and I bet some will say "oh shit I was using calculus there, kek".

I agree with you about the fundamental difference between what i'm doing and "just like make game", but, I see the difference in philosophy as a tangent since we aren't in the scope of game engine code when talking about physics. Since, how it feels to move your character around is a huge part of any game. So, if you don't understand the math behind that, you wont understand how to define the gameplay in the way you want. That's really all I am trying to say, not to drop everything and learn calculus but do a little reading on the topic and try and apply it to your game.

I hope my next game is actually good

The real problem is that the neon haired girl is too retarded and cunty to live. And so is the writer.

The real world Butterfly Effect refers to weather pattern simulations. Adding the force of even a single beat of a butterfly's wings at any point in the simulation results in radically different weather patterns a few months down the line, which is why forecasts stop at one week and are constantly revised. The movie is shit because the plot contradicts the title.

Haven't seen it, but the synopsis makes it seem shitty.

it's worth it, specially if you hated life is drinks as you liked the time travel aspect but was disgusted in how it was handled

Seen both movies. Conceptually they're pretty interesting, but they just seemed pretentious to me at the time. Have to give them a watch again to make sure. The whole jist of "I'll rewrite time to save someone's life at whatever the cost" was best handled in Stein's;Gate imo. If you haven't watched/read it the MC goes through something similar. He ends up creating a shit ton of diverging timelines in an attempt to save the life of one person, succeeds, loses the love of his life in the process, and ultimately decides that time travel is insanely dangerous and a huge drain on one's sanity. Idk, the idea of having time travel where outcomes can't change is really boring and just doesn't appeal to me, not to mention illogical. The existential dread of leaving a timeline to never return, or being surrounded by people you knew in one timeline only to be a complete stranger in the next offers a much more interesting story.

Forgot pic.

I'll give it a pirate, I guess.

Baby steps into a text adventure. I'm using natural language processing to generate a parse tree for input sentences. For reference
VP: Verb Phrase
VB: Verb
NP: Noun Phrase
NNP: Noun
ADVP: Adverb Phrase
RB: Adverb
CC: Conjunction
DT: Determiner
One problem is it doesn't work as fast as I would like it to, but that appears to be a problem unrelated to the parser.
Next on the docket is common replacements so that things like "n" register as "north".

Didn't mean to post the uncropped screenshot.

now code the fuck self command

That comes later.

Long time ago someone posted someone's GCC compiler (MingW?) that was really easy to download/install.

Anyone know what it was? It was on a really small and simple website.

Not sure what that would be exactly but these are some very easy to set up C compilers, maybe that is one of those:
bellard.org/tcc/
pellesc.de/

The website made it sound like it might have been by an user. TCC sounds interesting though, I'll give it a go, thanks

thanks, I will
that's more or less the idea, but time travel in that sense is practically impossible since the main factor (you) would have completely different memories
btw, somewhat related, but watch Predestination

You dumdum, that is exactly what the movie is about, from changing some little thing way far in the past can drastically change the path it took on the future
never the less the movie is kinda shitty yes (Adam Sandler) but its alright for a first watch

On regards with Donnie Darko though, its brilliantly made, it doesn't make any sense at all which is why people dislike it (mostly normies)
but it has a great production, awesome soundtrack, and constant eerie feeling of "wtf" to it, and that kind of ending that makes you question life

Is there a difference in normals between the editor and when working with shaders? Maybe it's flipped or something.

pls rate.

so you rigged that "Azuka" model from December? Show it animated. It has a charm to it, but I'd prefer her to have less of a jew nose.

Kinda hard to critique when she's covered by bones, señor Cristian.

Indeed
Although, philosophy is useful in this case as it helped us arrive to a satisfying conclusion to the discussion.

Look at the plethora of CG docs and tuts.
U can also use glsl or hlsl

Yeah depending on the current matrix used for the model normal. Like view, model, etc (so projecting in different relative spaces/orientations).
Look at the OpenGL docs for how these work, and what they’re for; in addition to Unity/CG docs for funcs

First meant for

A couple people seem to enjoy watching these, so I might as well post it.
promised to do it on trips day but forgot
Here's a long-winded update on why I moved over to Love2d, and stuff I've done so far.

Remember me when you start giving interviews. and swimming in money.

if I can't into gayme dev then no one will be!

Oh sweet baby jesus
Unity beta finally allows you to zoom in and out of the animator

FINALLY
AFTER A YEAR OF COMPLAINING ABOUT IT ON THE FORUMS

THEY LISTEN

please use state machines

I've used them where needed, a lot of these are completely separate states that can't use state machines

wut
how
you just drag and drop them into a state machine
look at what a fucking clusterfuck it is right now

Make a hi-res screenshot so we can read the labels and laugh at how you could've used state machines.

Wait you mean sub state machines or state machine blend trees?
Sub state machines are just folders, I'd rather have everything on one layer so I can check everything at once

i am talking about sub state machines
looking at that maes me want to scream

It literally wouldn't be any different, the mess would just be in a sub state.

All of these are just go from X to Y and then back X

What's the deal with the nodes that aren't connected to the rest of the graph? Or are they just treated as a state machine with one node and are used separately?

The grey ones?
They're stuff I'm working on or changing and aren't used for anything at the moment

BIG TIDDIES

Looking good though you still got that torpedo tits look. Glad you spaced them out. Make them closer to the chest and you can keep the size. Also the thing that looks off for your butt is the spine shape. But don't worry about that right now. You'll be pushing and pulling vertices when you finish the retopo. Would fuck.

Am I too retarded for gamedev?

No that's what gamedevving is. Welcome to the club.

This will be the max breast size by the way i will use a shape key to make a breast slider, so i can make petanko characters with this same model

you will suffer to do basic shit its never as simple as it looks until you git gud, you gotta learn new stuff every day

A while ago, I talked about a shitty chink SNES-style controller I got to test out, and at the time, I just thought it's implementation was weird. Now I'm thoroughly convinced that it's just fucked.

Windows detects it perfectly normally in the "configure Gamepad" menu, though it thinks that the D-pad is an analogue stick.
GMS detected a non-existent analogue stick that always held up.
Now fucking Love2D assigns the X-axis to all axes, so holding left goes up-left and going right goes down-right.
What niggers made this and how the fuck did they manage to fuck it up this bad?

Well, figuring this shit out is kind of like a puzzle game, and I do like puzzle games.

I hope the messages in my upcoming game aren't too subtle for game journos: my.mixtape.moe/tmxckz.webm

Nope, this is what dev is: development, building your way up by creating solutions to the problems you encounter. It's a process of eternal learning.

you should pretend to be full sjw and shit and troll the fuck out of them

are you ready for the new generation of horror games?
not mine

I'm HYPE tbh

An original idea on my agdg?
This ain't right

If this is the Mario 64 Unity demo, you should know the original version doesn't work great with current day unity

Just my two cents but cliches, standard genres and conventions exist because they work extremely well. Original isn't always good.

I fixed my map editor so that you can delete textures from the texture browser, and I also made it so that the undo-redo system works on the application of textures to brushes. I also fixed the bug that makes the editor crash when you try and make a map with too many polygons.

Oh yeah so one thing that scares me about editors and toolsets is registering mouse input. I know you have the relative mouse XY coordinates, but even in 2D games, the projection/offset matrix to figure out "what" you clicked always seemed difficult to use for some reason.

Granted, it's better than how they did it in some old isometric games (eg AOE2 had a separate draw texture that was never seen, which had a diamond shape divided into red, green, blue, or pink triangles, and depending on what pixelget color it was, it would shift into the adjacent tile appropriately)

My file for processing input is 1200 lines long and is the largest file in the project. It takes a stupid amount of code to translate between all of the coordinate systems. The most important part of it is this 200 line function called "mouse_coords_to_game_coords_aux" that actually converts the coordinates.

Damn dude. I just used electron

Right but couldn't you just store a transform matrix or two and be done with it?

It wouldn't work as a matrix, and even if you could that wouldn't make it any simpler. You still have to do and understand all of the conversions and it being a matrix would just be a formatting choice.

Using electron would just turn the program into something written in a bad language with a stupid amount of memory usage. It would only really amplify any problems because of how poor JavaScript is at expressing the things that I need to be able to express.

True but it gets the job done for me.

But how is that not the case when literally tons of games from 2000 onwards do this? You have an XY coordinate from the mouse/screen, you transform it via a matrix, to get the game/world coordinates, and then maybe transform it again to get a specific tile

Let me explain again: A matrix is just a way of formatting numbers. It does nothing to simplify or change what I am doing in this case, which is the transformation of one 2D point on the screen to one 3D point in my editor's grid. You're thinking that the difficult part is because it's not formatted as a matrix. The difficult part is the transformation itself.

This is some of the code that I use to transform the view:

const float center_x = (float)(((g->center_y + 1.0f) / 2.0f) * (float)width); const float center_y = (float)(((g->center_x + 1.0f) / 2.0f) * (float)height); const float mouse_x = (float)m->x; const float mouse_y = (float)m->y; /*a little later in my file...*/ case VP_SIDE:{ float rel_x = (float)mouse_x - center_x; float rel_y = (float)mouse_y; float norm_x = rel_x / g->side_frame.width; float norm_y = rel_y / g->side_frame.height; float vp_w = roundf((g->side_frame.width / (float)g->side_frame.scale) / 2.0f); float vp_h = roundf((g->side_frame.height / (float)g->side_frame.scale) / 2.0f); float real_x = (norm_x * (vp_w * 2.0f)) - vp_w; float real_y = (norm_y * (vp_h * 2.0f)) - vp_h; real_x += g->side_frame.center_x; real_y += g->side_frame.center_y; g->pointer_x = g->front_frame.center_x; g->pointer_z = real_x; g->pointer_y = real_y; } break;

Formatting this as a matrix operation has no benefit here. It's more straightforward to just literally apply all of the operations algebraically. It looks so hairy but that's because it has to be able to convert the mouse coordinates into a viewport of my editor that takes up some arbitrary rectangle on the window, and this viewport can be zoomed in and out, as well as offset by some arbitrary offset.

I do use matrices for any operations on the 3D brushes in my editor, since it makes sense to do that. Matrices are nice but they aren't something that you have to use for everything.

Hey sweet, we can upload .pdf on Holla Forums. I guess it never really happens much, huh?

Anyways, I looked into the HoMM3 map generation algorithm, and this is a pretty cool powerpoint presentation by one of the lead programmers. Though, it's about 15 years old now.

Oh wait I don't think it converted right
www.heroes-iii.com/files/smedstad.ppt

wow, I don't even have to add in the teleportation ability myself

how are you fucking up the physics so much

nuwen.net/mingw.html

The good news is that I think it's completely unusable

what's in the hole?

would fuck/10
what are you doing user?

Are you using the super character controller?

No, I was trying to handle the collisions using math and Unity's built in colliders.

well there's your first mistake

The SCC has built in collisions without rigidbodies, if you need some help to figure out how to make it work

Comfy Farm sim with plenty waifus 90% of the village will be female

But can you turn said 90% of the village into a harem?

No Satan, they are pure girls except for the elf and the milf and they expect a loyal husband

Are there any other fantasy creatures?

Every girl except for the geomancer, the slav girl and Vivian James will be some sort of monster girl, but no furries

Body topology mostly done, maybe im going to reuse the hands from the previous version, i also added a bit of detail on the elbow to have it deform better

You must be one of those guys who get a new waifu every fucking 6 months

can you promise us that there will be no girls with a benis :DD so you can break that promise later

All i can promise is that all girls will be very cute

Can you make potions to adjust their body sliders?
will there be separate nipple and areola sliders?

Anyone have experience with game jams? Are they total trash or is it worth cheating a bit to have people play something you made?

They're not total thrash, but you are if you cheat on them.

check'zd

oh shit, you're that dev, I like what you're doing
but I sure hope there will some sort of lewd mode,
I'm into pretty vanilla stuff, like corruption and cum dripping gangbangs

If you don't cheat then you finish last and are literal trash. Nobody will touch your shit and you get the retard trophy for being both crap and too dumb to cheat.

Sorry to disappoint, but lewd stuff won't be on vanilla i will make sure mods will support that, also modding the girls to accept harems will be possible

There will be all types of sizes, if i add key shapes for the nipples they will be hidden in game, but available for mods

Here the old female model, the new one will have improved physics

Can someone give me a quick rundown on how batch drawing works in SFML?
There are several projects that claim to do it but all are outdated spaghetti code.

aw yeah, thanks user, indeed the newer model looks way better

on another topic I think I've finally nailed the gimpfu scripting
I can easily filter through layers on gimp, rename/delete them, and proper exporting
there is still a lot to be done, but I can move on to start implementing the paperdoll class in game

lol ok user you git gud and I'll cheat let's see who makes a game first.

Thread's on page 13, but basically

Now of course the one in SFML doesn't sort or anything, that's up to you to implement. Looking at its source code, the Sprite and Quad classes both generate a set of 4 vertices when you invoke Draw() and immediately push those to the graphics device. So a better approach is to make an extension method or your own implementation that takes a sprite/quad, and pushes the same transforms to a Vertex[], then batch it that way. That's what I did at least and it was very fast

new thread here