furaffinity.net/user/gloryworm
paypal.me/gloryworm
pixiv.me/maximumpingas
ics.com/blog/render-texture-fixed-function-vs-modern-opengl
store.steampowered.com/app/793620/Hellbreaker/
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/
anynowhere.com/bb/layout/html/doors/local/frameset_linoleum.html
isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines
software.intel.com/en-us/articles/get-ready-get-noticed-get-big-a-practical-guide-to-marketing-your-indie-game
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20080627-00/?p=21823
kicked-in-teeth.itch.io/pico-8-tiles
store.steampowered.com/app/405710/Staxel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you can't do it

Made myself a little Love2D splash screen.
Thought it was appropriate for the occasion.
Happy Valentine's day, and a reminder that your vidya will never leave you.

Okay, deleting thread.

Anyways, back on topic

I got most of my boilerplate sorted out and now I'm working on implementing game objects and stuff. I don't want to have a class for every game object type, and I think I could very feasibly handle everything with an enum type (either as a flag or as a labelled type ID)

Anyways, my main character consists of 5 separate draw calls and I don't know how to structure it so he has all the stuff he needs. I mean I can hardcode it, but then it becomes harder to work with or change, right? I also need to factor in animation timers and composited sprites, and also probably keep it separate from tiles, but maybe not.

Also every object needs to be transformable into other objects

That umlaut makes it pronounced "luuve", doesn't it?

Gramatically, most likely, but everyone says and most often writes it as just Love.

Finally the opportunity I've been waiting for is here. Gonna be a productive 5 days for sure.

I had the same attitude when I ended up with 2 shifts a week and basically had a month and a half off. Even if you put your nose to the grindstone, expect to only have say, a third of it be productive time.

I watched a Godot tutorial and I feel like such an idiot for not having used a more robust solution. Watching someone use a simple little function for things I slaved for hours to figure out solutions to in Love2D makes me want to cry. I guess you can say I learned more doing it manually, but that experience doesn't really amount to anything practical.

No gameplay yet, but the slimes look fun

where's the devanon who was making that Hack the FBI game? how's the progress coming?

Christ, this is ridiculous

>XNA FNA

Why does this random bullshit happen

You'll have to go deeper than those API's, if you want to see the truth

Do you mind if i lewd your slimes

I mean, it's technically one pink slime named Presto, which has changed color, but do whatever

Gimme a high res of her if you dont mind.

I mean, this is the highest resolution that exists

That'll do,i'll let you know if i manage to get anything made out of it.

Looks like I am closer to solving the mystery… as I thought it's not my program that is slowing down, its just that windows is making it idle for some reason.

I dunno, if I tell the main thread to sleep for 16ms regardless of timings, then that means there is a hard limit of 60-ish frames, not this 1800+ shit it keeps hitting.

Ok, so it is definitely my calls to Sleep as I was kind of thinking.

Posting """""inspiration""""" for jazzj2
hooktube.com/watch?v=KlexGBhOWB0

I know you. You made that Asuka model.

yeah I deleted the last post deal with it

i thought pretty much everyone was in agreement that my buildings were too linearly spaced, hence why i made it look more like a slum from gothic

Is this one of those "advertisements disguised as an interview" things?

what?

Is this one of those "advertisements disguised as an interview" things?

i don't follow

user is asking if the article, which claims to be an interview, is actually a legitimate article or a thinly veiled click bait to shill the game

well how would i know, why's he replying to me in the first place, i thought he was somehow talking about my shit

I'm just looking through gamasutra's programming and design sections to make fun of indieshit.
That many buzzwords can't possibly have any meaning, can it?

There's probably a bug in your timing system somewhere. A wrong argument in a call to sleep, multiple accidental sleep calls per frame, or something like that. Replace your timing code with something like this and remove access to sleep from the rest of your engine.

FRAMERATE: 60hzFRAMETIME: 1 / FRAMERATE msNextFrameTime = LastFrameTime + FRAMETIMEsleep for NextFrameTime - CurrentTime ms

Remember that you need greater than millisecond precision to hit 60 FPS with this method, as 60 FPS = 16.6666~ ms. Rounding up or down gives you 58.8 or 62.5 FPS.

i know agile and scrum meant something, but cross-disciplined means nothing to me

I think that this whole thing was literally just a precision error. Recently I rewrote my timer code so that it used floats for everything, previously it would internally handle 64 bit integers that had to time in nanoseconds, and then convert those into less precise floats, I think that the issue here is that internally the timer was not precise enough because of 32 bit floats and just broke down because of that. I was getting all kinds of weird values and I think that the reason is because I rewrote my timer functions about a month ago. It wasn't the structure of the code that caused my issues.

I've reverted my code back to the old stuff and it is working like a charm.

Doubt it. In my SFML case, whether I use the built in frame limiter or my own sleep calls (with a rolling average of 300 frames measured in ticks), it messes up only when I unplug it from the VS process

I guess it depends on what you'd like to create, the good old debate over realism in games rears its ugly head.

This is your typical fantasy dog crap. If it's a slum, you don't build walls around it. If it's behind walls, you don't want to waste space by placing the buildings irreguralry.
Yes, the street layout may be irregular (that's what happens when you let cities grow naturally) but the buildings themselves will be packed. You might have a space behind them, tough. A "backyard", I guess.

The engine recently implemented spotlights as a new type of dynamic light, which is ultimately a muuuch better way to handle doing a flashlight as opposed to an entire row of dynamic lights one after the other.
A couple people have already put out some sample flashlights, and I've kind of cobbled one together along with some bad code of my own…

…Huh. At this point there's not really a lot of reason to have darkness at all, is there? You can see a lot with the flashlight.
But at the same time, it's kind of a pain in the ass to have a flashlight that only illuminates a small section, or needs constant maintenance with batteries or repairs or whatever.

Well, whatever, I'm probably overthinking this. It's kind of jittery in action and tends to get stuck on solid objects, I need to figure out how to fix that.

Why? You should use some kind of integer counter. If you have to accept floats (eg as an argument for delta time), then convert it to ticks internally.

C#'s TimeSpan object behaves this way

Holla Forums never agrees on anything, it's just sometimes the people who disagree aren't available at the time.
If you look at the long stretches of small shacks in Gothic, they're all one model that doesn't leave any gap between buildings and offers a bit of variation between dwellings. The copy pasted buildings are the large, two story dwellings and they're still mirrored and/or separated to keep you from really noticing.
You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot by wanting to have both run down shacks in an organically grown slums and an over abundance of copy pasted buildings. You can have one or the other, but both together doesn't work as well.
Also what said. If you want realism slums aren't placed behind walls, especially in a town as small as yours.

I use floats externally. And the code is cleaner if you use floats internally as well. The way that high resolution timers work is that they will only give you 64 bit integers, this is how both win32 and POSIX do it. What I have to do then is convert those giant integers into actual usable floating point numbers for physics calculations, so I decided to just convert immediately instead of storing and doing operations on the 64-bit ints, and then converting them to floating point at the very last moment, which is what the working timers do. I also upped the precision to long double, just to make sure that it all works out.

Interestingly enough the rendering takes such a tiny amount of time that the only reason it even shows up on the profiler's radar is because of fraps injecting the FPS counter info the framebuffer.

so larger houses in a linear fashion inside the walls, or shacks somewhat randomly spaced outside the walls?

I meant "instead of"

But didn't you just say above that the timing problem likely stemmed from precision errors? Eg because of floats? Although it would be faster because you have less comversions to do if you use them all internally (barring some bit fiddling magic)

How are you able to get your base rendering so fast? Does using C (?) really make that much of a difference?

yes, exactly that. The shacks/slum you made looks pretty cool and you shouldn't waste it.

The houses behind the city walls should either have the model texture changed to stone/brick or made from scratch to mesh with the environment

But user, if you do that, then the slums would be completely destroyed in an invasion and the only people surviving would be the royalty, wealthy, and tradesmen!

Yeah that makes sense. This might be relevant.
randomascii.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/dont-store-that-in-a-float/
Remember that float precision lessens the higher the value, so even something that works for short periods of time can start fucking up the longer you go on.

What's your point? He's spending 45% of his time in sleep, clearly there is a sleep bug and simplifying his timing code was a reasonable suggestion to find or eliminate it.

well i kind of imagined that the bourgeois were living near the castle and everything else was a slum

I posted that originally because you replied to me in the first place.

Yes, and?

perhaps he should use the design from the second pic here
Notice that village to the top left? The buildings on the outskirts make for a rudimentary fortification

What universe did you come from to think that was a good idea?

It means they made teams consisting of at least two disciplines, so a programmer and an artist or designer. Although most likely both artist and designer and probably more than one person of each discipline.
It's pretty much a useless term meaning "we didn't make useless one man teams"

It still makes it spookier than no flashlight. plus you can limit the time you can have the flashlight out or take it away for an extra spooky section.

If floats fuck shit up and you have a relatively set amount of numbers before your floating point (such as always being under one second, you should put a maximum on your step size anyways) you can also try using fixed point math. It guarantees you the maximum amount of precision you could keep for that size of number, instead of unpredictable rounding.

Yeah, I am still not that sure what the issue was exactly, but the precision problem was that to calculate the time each frame takes, to get my timestep, I have to subtract a timestamp taken at the beginning of the frame from a timestamp taken at the end of the frame, what I was doing that failed was storing those in floats. It makes more sense when you think about it- I am essentially storing 64 bits of information into a 32 bit float, so if the time diffrence is too small to be represented, it can easily be lost when converting. At least, that's what I think went wrong.

The rendering is capped at 60fps, if I uncap it then fraps can render it a bit faster. I have a fast enough graphics card and my scene is so tiny that, it's just stupidly easy for the card to render it. It's not really C since C is not doing a ton of number crunching or anything, but it's that the rendering engine right now is just incredibly lightweight on the merit of not actually doing anything. OpenGL is just fast if you ask it to render such a tiny scene.

I am not really measuring my Vulkan framerate because fraps doesn't work on it when it's in Vulkan mode. It may or may not be faster, I don't know. The scene lags on my Radeon Mobility 9000 if I have too high of a resolution. I think that when I finally have occlusion culling working it will be fast enough to be good. I think that my current frame rates are actually not very good for what it is since once I have proper culling the engine will get a lot faster.

It should be OK for now, I don't think that any new problems are going to come up.

It's a longer version that's only gonna play the first time you boot up the game.

Turns out I was being a dummy and misread GLSL 1.30 as OpenGL 1.3. I guess I could bypass Löve's shader preprocessing stuff to use GLSL 1.30 instead but I'm not sure if it's worth any potential pain doing that just yet.

Speaking of Löve, I found this the other day.

Are you planning on using PVS or just runtime occlusion culling stuff?

anyone know how to create a godot desktop entry on ubuntu?

yeah, it will have PVS culling and frustum culling

I'm just so busy this month that I don't think I will make much progress at all, maybe I will make more then I think, I don't know

How to webm for retards

ffmpeg -i input_file.mp4 -ss [time-in] -to [time-out] -c:v libvpx-vp9 -crf [quality rate] -b:v [video bitrate] -threads [duh] -c:a libopus -b:a [audio bitrate] output_file.webm

notes:

posting it again, just cus

do you mean for the program? or for your own game?
hint: you could just manually make one like everything else

>upload to gfycat
>download it again
There we go, ez webms

Alternatively you can use the original "webm for retards" program:

gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Which is basically like a GUI that lets you pick all of those options and convert a webm, so it's that command line but even more retard-proof.

obs tends to fuck with my framerate, so i end up using fraps, but that records like a gigabyte per minute, so i still need to convert afterwards

ew lad

you need to go back

it does if one has a 40mb filesize while the other has 4

wew nigga

It literally has a field with the command line arguments as well as a check box for VP9/Opus. Any way if you know ffmpeg you don't need to use it, it's designed for people who don't know how to use ffmpeg and dont care to learn.

I know ffmpeg a small amount but I use it since I can't be bothered to learn all the commands

fair enough, I guess I was referencing an archaic version of it back then,
still could be a good solution for dumb plebs developing in Faggot OS (tm), amirite?

webm is optimized for web streaming

we're talking max 20 second videos
This isn't complex webdev

Whatever works for you.

alright, how's this? trying from the 2nd pic
bigger houses, only using the shacks where the ground is too angular for the big ones
i can still bring back the shacks if need be

Will you sell anti-aliasing as DLC?

Unity has AA, but why would he turn it on it at this point?

While that's better, I'd still consider finding a way of placing the houses without alleys between them (marked in red) and maybe even narrowing the streets more.

doesn't really add enough space for anything, not sure if there's a point to it

just a suggestion, as with all my other posts. You're doing good.

ALL interviews are advertisements. ALL of them.

how many games are there where hand holding is a central mechanic? I can only think of one

There's also the lost in blue series, but that game was dogshit

Crash Twinsanity
indirectly anyway

elevated the castle since i can't figure out what to put infront of it

Do you plan on merging the edges of your walls on the spline?

i probably should

Illiterate nigger.

ffmpeg -y -i [input] -map 0:v:0 -map_chapters -1 -map_metadata -1 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -threads 3 -deadline best -cpu-used 0 -aq-mode 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -frame-parallel 0 -g 9999 -lag-in-frames 25 -tile-columns 0 -crf [0 - 63] -b:v 0 -f webm /dev/null && \ffmpeg -i [input] -map 0:v:0 -map_chapters -1 -map_metadata -1 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -threads 3 -deadline best -cpu-used 0 -aq-mode 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -frame-parallel 0 -g 9999 -lag-in-frames 25 -tile-columns 0 -crf [0 - 63] -b:v 0 -f webm [output]

Dating sims.

n-not in a way that lewd, user

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.mp4

Almost done

so how's the gameplay coming along?

My bro is remaking the terrain system, until he finishes that i will be only modeling characters
Once it is finished we will have automatic generation of biomes and shit, making huge maps will be easy

Oh wait you're the cut grass guy?
I had no idea

My brother is doing the grass, i made the faerie+cooking demo and im currently making the characters
Everything will eventually be merged into one whole game

Is there a single good book on game design? every one I've seen was shit out rapidly by some leftist hack who was more interested in publishing a book than sharing useful information

No, however there are plenty of great youtube channels.

I want out of this timeline

You're not the brightest are you

My mistake, you're just a proper retard

youtube videos are the least productive form of teaching known to man, whether you like it or not, megafag64

exaggeration, hyperbole, extrapolation

still true. YouTube tutorials are shit
most books as well

documentation and reading others' code is where it's at

Sure user, you sound like a very respectable person and your opinions are definitely worth listening to.

Here's a few quality youtube channels that talk about game design, maybe they'll be able to help you get that sand out of your ass that's making you act like a little bitch.

youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy
youtube.com/user/McBacon1337
youtube.com/user/Matthewmatosis
youtube.com/user/2kliksphilip
youtube.com/channel/UC55OV4HSSKJEthG4ulsKkyw
youtube.com/channel/UCfVFSjHQ57zyxajhhRc7i0g

I don't think that anyone can teach "game design". You can only listen to successful people talk about what they did, every thing else is going to inevitably be extra-credits tier trash.

watching videos is awalys going to be inferior to reading for learning

thanks user

Great subjective opinion.

goddamn you're a faggot
____
THE VIEWS PRESENTED IN THIS POST REPRESENT user'S PERSONAL, SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS AND NOT NECESSARILY THE TRUE AND HONEST(TM) OPINIONS

I know and like most of these channels,I'm glad Matthew is back, too bad Ahoy is dead. Adding EL(OG), the shandification guy and (((Chairman George))) to the list would be appropriate

Their ramblings are pleasant but it's just that: ramblings of overthinkers, most of whom wouldn't be able to make a game if their life depended on it. Post mortems, design documents, fucking CODE,even singular GDC conferences from industry veterans (not nudev cucks) will teach you way more about game design than youtubers who pretend to know their shit, while in reality being like your typical humanitiesd student asking the question "WHAT DID THE AUTHOR MEAN BY THIS" while in reality said author would shit on their interpretation.

What kind of game are you playing here.

Sometimes has good stuff but takes way too long to say anything useful.
Parrots shit you'll easily pick up while lurking Holla Forums mixed with his own retarded opinions and bad gameplay.
Decent enough.
Dunno why you listed him, he doesn't do much except talk about CSGO and graphics settings.
No idea who this faggot is.
Easily the best thing you listed because the guy has real experience with gamedev and shows off a lot of neat tricks.

Of everything listed, only GameHut and Matthewmatosis are really worthwhile and even then Matt is skippable. I can't really recommend anyone else aside from Turbo Button and maybe TGBS to a lesser extent, but it helps that they aren't completely full of themselves and have good gameplay footage.

Ahoy posts once in a while, but he does 2 hour videos so it takes him ages.

Forgot about Bunnyhop, as you said
youtube.com/user/bunnyhopshow

and Raycevick
youtube.com/channel/UC1JTQBa5QxZCpXrFSkMxmPw

I don't know the other two you mentioned, feel free to post them.
Also I don't think being able to speak about what makes a game good and being able to make a game have much connection.

Game design and knowing or having the time and interest to program a complex game is not in everybody's range. I also doubt many people that would be to write a book could actually make good games. Sometimes even the better programmers are absolutely shit game designers.

He's said some stupid shit but 90% of his videos are very informative.

Great level designer, goes deep into how the mechanics in CSGO works which can easily help while making an FPS.

forgot to quote

Ideaguys help

What's a nice term for someone who helps other people, or the act of helping?

Think "bounty hunter" or "bounty hunting", I want something similar except it shouldn't sound like it's related to combat. The only thing I can think of is "helper" or "servicing", but those sound gay.

Ah, I haven't seen much of his CSGO stuff so I wouldn't know.
Honestly, I believe most game developers either don't know what they're doing and sometimes stumble across good ideas, or they have a good understanding of how to make very specific kinds of games but stumble when working outside their small comfort zone.

yay splat maps, no more per-polygon texturing

samaritan

Handyman, hired hand, laborer.

Handyman is a good word. If you've ever read Desert Punk, the protagonist calls himself a handyman; he will do any job for payment, but he's usually a mercenary.

I kinda wanna work on a Hack and slash that plays like Kingdom Hearts as a learning experience, I have no coding knowledge though, is it still plausible?

Okay so I think I found my biggest issues when I'm programming.

Firstly, is graphics. I'm not sure how to make an elegant way to change the drawn image of a character or whatever. For example, some characters flip their sprite horizontally between left/right, while some things, such as platforms and tiles, can face any direction. It needs to be a consistent thing between both actors and tiles. Also is sprite compositing.

Not sure the best way to accomplish that because I don't want to have every tile with a Sprite[] attached to it, but at the same time, giving it an index number from the sprite library feels weird because lookups would take time, and also it doesn't allow for individual sprites based on state.

Secondly, is the behavior of objects. I can create the individual systems just fine, but "gluing" them together with actors feels very weird

Actually, you mean handy'person. It's 2018, folks!
Hurry up, we won't nuke ourselves.

looking better

Standard third person controls are harder than first person controls, mostly because of the number of animations that you need, having to make a proper third person camera and making sure everything isn't clunky as fuck.

It's definitely doable, but it'll take a while and might be shit unless you're a good animator.

and roads via the splat map
only downside is that every time i want to paint a road, i have to fuck with the vertices to get them in a line
even in a flat terrain, i'd still need to subdivide it in order to paint the splat map

Absolutely not plausible and definitely not advisable. Start small, move your way up. Pong first, then some simple platformer (just make a Mario clone), some small RPG, and so on and so forth. Your first few projects should take days to finish making, no more than two weeks, and should take a couple dozen minutes at most to play.
You're talking about your very first coding experience being jumping into a multi-year 3D game project with hundreds of facets to consider. Don't do this shit.
This is the most common beginner game development mistake. Beginning programmers don't jump in and start developing a web browser, an OS, or a filesystem as their first projects; they make a calculator, or a tic-tac-toe game, or a phonebook. For some reason, beginning game developers all want to jump in with no experience and make a game that would take a professional studio with a staff of several dozen over a year to complete, and they think they can do it because game engines like Unity make common things simple.

Even a hand-holding engine won't let you prop up a game like that with no experience. Start with the kind of game you'd expect on the Atari 2600, and move up like that, making at least one game that would be appropriate for each console generation before moving on:

* Some simple beep boop block game (like pong); no graphics
* Some simple large-pixel game (like an NES game); simple graphics, simple sounds and music
* Some simple smaller-pixel game, like on the 16-bit systems (SNES/Genesis); more complex graphics. Maybe start using external art at this point, because making your own starts getting really time-consuming
* Simple 3D game. Try a Mario 64 clone or something, with only a few levels at first.

Increase complexity iteratively, and always start with 2D and no real graphics as your first project. I can absolutely not emphasize this enough. If you jump into a massive project from the get-go, you're going to get maybe a fast start, and it will quickly become an unmaintainable mess that you can't manage or maintain, and you're going to spend all your time figuring out concepts you should have learned progressively and fighting bugs you don't understand because the code is more complex than you know how to handle.

Am I allowed to use the Unity Coding Documentary thing or do i need to learn C# by heart first

This is true. Hooray for options!

I think I recognize that art.
That's VectorByte, isn't it?
Man, I haven't talked to that guy in forever, I wonder if his game is still in dev.

I'd really suggest getting a solid programming foundation first. Unity is shit, game development is shit, and you want to be able to understand unity's logic flow (only possible with a good understanding of programming). That way you can separate your bedshits from Unity's bedshits.

For BC27E9
I have managed to lewd your slime,enjoy

I've never understood the point of heavy dusters

That sure is something

WHY THE FUCK do sites disable youtube fullscreen in embedded videos, holy shit, that pisses me off more than anything else

was hoping for more of a response honestly.

Learn whatever language you are using well enough to use it. You don't need to be an expert, and you won't be for a long time (I've been a professional programmer for 10 years and a senior developer for the last 3 and most times I still feel like a kid in a sandbox). What you do need to be is comfortable with testing ideas in a small setting. That is, you need to be able to spin up a little console application to test things out in a small and isolated setting. The difference between knowing how to do this and not knowing how to do this can be the difference between 30 minutes of tinkering and refining something useful and 5 hours of trying to do it for the first time in the middle of your existing codebase.

Essentially, it means that you don't have to be an expert, you don't even have to really be particularly good, but you do have to become very good at testing and exploring. Once you get comfortable enough that you can think of a problem and know how you'd get started trying to solve it, you're good to go. The only thing I'm advising against is getting too big for your britches. Knowing how to program is a massive difference from knowing how to manage a large project. You only learn how to manage a large project by failing to do it a few times first, and those failures are best done in order of increasing scale, that way you have a few small failures that you learn how to fix each time, rather than having a massive clusterfuck on your hands that even a programming genius couldn't untangle.

That said, as long as you feel comfortable and generally know what you're doing, you can't really go too fast. Jump in, fuck around, figure things out, and keep in mind that it's okay to suck at first. The best way to learn is to enjoy what you're doing.

S-sorry
I appreciate the gesture, but it's just a week long one-off project, so I'm not even that attached to the game and I've been trying to get one thing working right for a few days

Well look at it this way,you're probably the first person in these threads to have lewds made of their game that isn't even done yet.

I just want to point out a few pointless things:
pointless waste of time with little reward, show me otherwise
you don't fucking need to input the default parameters
practically pointless if you don't slice the frame
again pointless parameters, redundant mapping and webm doesn't take metadata anyway

But it's so hard and frustrating

It's happened twice now, and I'm baffled

Oh? it's happened before?

hastily closes blender

show me your work,user

I'll keep holding out hope that someone does lewds of mine one of these days.

Gimme your game character or whatever and i'll see what i can do.

It is!
That's what makes it worth it.

Yes, it has.

Oh that's nice,did the creator ever finish that game? or still in progress

I'm actually more interested in what you could do with my take on Löve-tan from and pic related.

I just checked his twitter, and apparently it's the same dude you just drew slimelewds for, so he's taking a break from it for a 1 week jam.
I think this guy has some magical attract-lewds ability.

I'll see what i can do

This guy needs to stop being a faggot and just finish a project.

can I send my character too?

Yeah go for it.

cool, seems like you're doing something worth it, planning on putting it up steam?
and btw, have you seen that new stardew valley + voxel blocky style merger game?

have you seen this one?
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html

its alright, mostly on theory about programming patterns instead of direct shit
so its more aimed are core development stuff and for people who are have some sort of programming experience

oh boy

Here you go, the anatomy is kinda fucked at parts like the thighs etc. It's because I draw over a virtual mannequin since I have no artistic talent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In case something is weirdly drawn:
She's wearing a jacket over a sports bra
leather boots, no heels.
she has an untied armband tied to her wrist, you can remove this entirely, doesn't really matter.
same with the 4 armbands

feel free to make her tits bigger

also spats

I'll see what i can do.

The critics opinion can be equally as valid as the chef.

fuck off retard

no they aren't, just to go over this, they could if the critic has proper criteria and knows what they're talking about with expertise on the subject
otherwise you would have any retard thinking they're critics going over:
same as a gamer:

I'm looking to make a fighting game, can anyone recommend a good engine?

Mugen

Food critics almost universally have a degree in journalism, years of experience as a journalist, a minor or something in cooking, and have to pay a yearly fee and adhere to a code of ethics to be part of the AoFJ.
The random customer's opinion may be important since he's supposed to pay for the product, but it is in 99.999% of all cases irrelevant aside from if they like it or not, they have no idea what they're talking about.

Either Mugen if you want a fighting game engine, or literally any engine you want if you actually want to make something yourself. Fighting games require a lot of work to make, but they're not so technically specialized that you need a specific engine for them.

These are all positive things in your book? That's basically "kike, kike, food kike, paying money to kike organization"

I just realized that I haven't actually written the needed Vulkan code for mipmaps.. so, i'm still stuck on working on texture filtering. This is pretty fuckin complicated because you have to manage all of the memory and there is this whole thing going on about memory layouts and formats

Critic was a bad choice of word.
My point was that if you aim to make a game that people will enjoy, you have to gauge their opinion too. The dev will always see their game in a different light. The benefit of youtube is that its not too difficult for a coherent and logical opinion from a regular consumer to rise in attention. Someone like matthewmatosis might ramble like a madman, but whether or not he enjoyed a game can be equally or more helpful as a post mortem than a devs opinion.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm not arguing against trusting devs, just in favor of taking all criticism indiscriminately.

I don't think I'm going to make it in time.

I keep having issues keeping my logic and drawing separate but "together". I can make objects that exist in a vacuum, great, but then I can't think of a way to render them without jumping through a million hoops, unless I just couple them together and do it that way

And then the other issue is that I have a 16x12 playing field, which can have tiles and actors per space, but the mechanic involves transforming between the two object types temporarily, so I somehow have to manage changing from an object with no fixed location into a tile object

Starting to add some debug related stuff, like a proper map select, for builds and stuff. Also got proper async loading screens to work, which is pretty cool. I should make more debug tools.

I'm reading Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design by Joris Dormans and Ernest Adams. It has some concrete examples of designing mechanics and economies. They use a system by the the former author which tries to graph out mechanics and systems, called Machinations. It looks promising for seeing a game at a high level, but pretty autistic and you shouldn't drop making sure the game is Not Bad in favor of doing lots of graphs. Just another tool.

looks cool :^)

Will become a beautiful simulator!

The autism simulator is already on steam, search "Everyday Lite"
The final game will be there for 15 bucks, but i will see what do i need to put it on GOG too
You mean harvest life? looks shallow as fuck, i gonna blow it out of the water

Weird question,but for those who want the lewds,you got anything against em being posted elsewhere? just wanna make sure.

I don't mind, user, it'd be cool if my Love-tan design caught on.

how to make online game?

dick in ethernet port

Kill yourself and once you're in hell you can talk with the inventor of netcode. When you're done we'll preform a ritual to bring you back.
Triple A studios just have a direct line to Satan so they don't have to do this, but if you're an indie it's the only way.

Well, Unity has a ritual killing service, but

For what purpose? you forgot to mention hair and eye color and just colors in general you dingaling how am i supposed to draw her without those

Oh hey somebody else is stepping up to the plate,nice

I'm still up at 7am, I see interesting shit in agdg, I draw, it's 8am and i'm not in the bed yet but I at least drew a thing for people.
That's just how it happens.
Or rather I got pointed to the thread and liked what I saw.

no, i started with that dream and have downsized my autism like six times now. the good news is that i finally just like made a game my level and i've been upping the complexity ever since

what'd you do to learn

Here you go
and if you maybe wanna support an artist you know

furaffinity.net/user/gloryworm

paypal.me/gloryworm

Disgusting.

I should do the same, actually.
pixiv.me/maximumpingas

okay, thanks, I'm going to get started on making a multiplayer shooter with AI and an authoritative server

Ey,somebody took yer request,give some feedback.

That's actually pretty bloody good, user! Thank you! certainly worth a wank
I'm a poorfag now but I'll bookmark it and keep it in mind for the future.
>furaffinity

if this nigger isn't bullied into submission this place is beyond repair

Actually kill yourself, holy fuck.

>furaffinity
filled with MLP

Looks great user, I didn't mention colors so I could get ideas if people did end up making a colored drawing

Thank you,it's good to hear that.

You can't just expect people to solve this stuff for you.
Still, glad you enjoyed it.
follow me on pixiv etc etc shilling pixiv.me/maximumpingas i literally need memes to exist

haha,be glad you're not getting hit in the dick for your tastes at least.

What the fuck did you expect after linking FA?

If it's all ya got,it's all ya got.

I sort of half-assed fixed the proportions more or less

I probably shouldn't judge but something seems off, like she looks fatter to me

I liked the Red hair so I went with it
Probably last OC post, thought i'd update the few people that were interested, I don't know if I'll ever be able to put her in a game, meaning I should be posting on art threads instead of agdg.

You're just a slut for being bullied, aren't you?

How would I make a glcontext target a texture instead of rendering to a window? Where do I start?

Great… now my Vulkan code produces no errors, but also displays nothing in my window. I'm sure there is some stupid subtle error in my code, I just won't find that error today…

ics.com/blog/render-texture-fixed-function-vs-modern-opengl

How about rather than giving that dinkwad (you)s you get back to posting progress

I don't have progress to share, sorry. I would talk about something that's non-existent, but I'd be idea guying.

sorry, was outside celebrating normalfag shit
make directional accelerations that don-t feel like shit, and use the pad velocity to apply to the ball
>make standard jrpg but still use animations for the state machine that will eventually be used for the arpg, for the ai expand on priorities by distance and areas, and start using character based stats and progresion

Don't worry, i'm about to post something soon!

-Fred

good news

huh neat
now i don't have to feel guilty for pirating it a few days ago

Well this was unexpected.

shilling here?

Explain? What was supposed to be the way of the future, according to the shills?

I couldn't find a nice video on programming, but I did find a GDC kang

hmm

can 1800s flintlock guns be made fun in vidya?

Yes, provided all the players have them and bayonets are available.

there'll be no bayonets and also maybe revolvers, the context is convict filled Australia

anyone got unity 2018.1 beta working?
for some reason only the file/edit…/help stuff is visible and working, and nothing else is showing up

Brace of pistols + henchman to reload them. Fire and throw gives you the rate and reload time nearly equaling a revolver

Sea of Thieves already did it

is that shit out? I actually thought it was pretty fucking good but then I saw it was a microsoft spybox exclusive

There was a closed beta last week.
It seems pretty fun, but it doesn't seem to have much actual content

At this point it's basically elite dangerous in the sea

best IDE + compiler for 486 running DOS still Borland C?

I figured out a solution to my tile/actor problem at 6 am when i was trying to sleep for work

I think the best approach is to make a struct type to hold the state data, and pop it into an array when it needs to be a tile, or into a class instance when it needs to be an actor

This is heavily dependent on your gameplay, but from what I gather of what you want to make, I'd personally just have the class instances and an array, and add a reference to the actor into the new location in the array when it begins moving there, and only remove the reference at the old position when it finishes moving.

The jacket still needs the cloth physics colliders so it doesn't enter into the body

how do i into godot hit detection?
i managed to shoot a projectile rigidbody in first person by copying the code in the 3d demo, but i cant get it to execute any code when hitting either a staticbody or another rigidbody.

have you looked into signals?
basically, that node type with collision should have appropriate signals for when stuff happens
then all you need is to connect signals to what functions you want to trigger

I actually read one of his books ages ago, and it was the most pointless thing i'v ever read

Right so my topdown puzzle game and my current jam project both had a similar set up, a grid of tile types which may contain zero or one objects. Basically it had the same state data (type, state, direction, behavior flags) but actors had addition stuff like movement timers and positions (prev current and next, for movement canceling and ice sliding)

Anyways it would be a waste to have all that extra data on my tiles and they should be a dense struct group, but actors need to be referenced and stuff. I even have to put actors in a sorted list as they move because they have to be updated in a very predictable manner.

But i think ive got it fixed now

yes i should have mentioned, that i tried to do that unsuccesfully.
i have tried on_body_entered an on_shape_entered.

He's right in a general sense. People are going to be polarized if you make a political statement. Best to focus your gamedev twitter on gamedev

Yes. Firing and cocking can be very fun, shotguns have the best feedback out of all staple gun types.

Oh cool, Hellbreaker got a release on Steam.

store.steampowered.com/app/793620/Hellbreaker/

Congrats on getting it out, dude.

implemented subscripts for my shitty ai node editor
it feels like it's getting more and more convoluted and i'm totally afraid what it might potentially do to the performance issue being that for every AI using a specific script, i have to duplicate that script each time so that variables don't conflic, this also includes subscripts, but for the moment everything seems like it just werks

huh, didn't know it was anywhere near completion last time i saw it
still looks too much like an inferior doom3/DOOD clone

Linux builds when?

so this is how crop circles are made!

if I'm not mistaken, for collision detect you need a specific type of node with give shapes
the two objects need that subnode, so they can properly interpret when that happens
I never done that with godot though

Shilling thread in progress.

to me it seems inspired more by the original Doom than 3 or NuDoom.

Please study how anime eyes are actually drawn if you're going to use the style.

That face is Christopher Hart tier.

almost,almost.

I think Adams is more of a side character in this book and most the weight here was from the other guy. Theory of Fun is mostly very pointless though, yeah. Especially when he goes into the games as art shit. The most valuable part of it was stuff about the interest curve. That aside, everyone in the industry should be considered pozzed until proven otherwise and that's not really avoidable right now. Give it another 10 years.

I'm not even happy that I fixed it. There was no "eureka" moment like usual, it was pure fucking luck. Fucking hell.

I never said I wasn't retarded.

im pretty new to programming as im taking computer science classes right now. I want to ask for some tips for which programming and which language to use. i heard C is the best while i heard others say that C++ is great.

gml :)

No I mean it happens to everyone, a lot more often than you'd think

There is no best language. C can be a tiny bit faster than C++ but C++ has other benefits you can use to produce things faster yourself. Writing assembler yourself would be faster than C, but is really hard so you'd take ages producing anything unless you only use it for performance critical parts. Other, easier languages (than C/C++) are usually slower by a few percent but offer other things that make your life easier, such as garbage collected memory management so you can't fuck up as easily, or being able to change code while the game is running.
Think of it like guns, what's better: an automatic rifle, a handgun, a shotgun, an anti tank rifle, or an RPG? None of the above, they all have their own uses.

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/

Actually, in most cases, C is the fastest language, unless you drop into platform-specific assembly.

Now obviously, the utility of C++ (or even C#) is worth the minor performance bump. Dynamic languages like Lua are flexible, but incredibly slow.

That's literally what I said, though?

But you said there is no "best language". There's no general purpose best language, but C is the most performant.

Most performant =/= best

There is no best language, just languages that do things different from each other. A lot of what you'll be wanting when you start out making games is libraries that do what you want, not necessarily the nitty gritty of a language. That means C, C++, C# and Java are your best best.

C++ requires that you really understand what's going on and you have to establish rules or else you're going to end up making a mess of your code. Usually if you're making a game from scratch this is the language you use. It's fast, flexible, has a good base in C, and there's a lot of information out there on it. It has great libraries for game development. There are problems with it, like bloat, but it's still widely used and it will do the job if you want to use it to make a game. It's object oriented but you can ignore that if you want to.
C is good, but while I think it's a great learning tool when you're starting out it not the kind of thing a beginner is going to use to make their dream game, unless their dream game is a very simple text adventure. Outside of learning when you absolutely positively must have a small and fast program, you use C.
Java is what you learn when you want a job. It's fine, but really really fucking verbose. If you don't like object oriented programming being forced down your throat you will hate Java with every fiber of your being. There are a lot of game related libraries for it like with C++ so if you like it when other people do work for you you'll like Java.
C# is Microsoft's c++. It's pretty good, unless you don't like Microsoft or Object Oriented languages. If you are obsessed with speed and size C# is not for you, although that's not to say that it's terrible with either of those. If you are using Unity you have to learn C#. What's that? Unity has Javascript? About that…
Javascript is for web development. Why would you use it outside of web development? Are you insane? Stop it. Please God stop it.
PHP is even worse what the fuck are you doing.
Python is great for fast prototyping when performance isn't one of the top concerns. It's used a lot in hacking and penetration testing because it's so easy to get things up and running in no time at all once you know how to program in it. Managing a large Python codebase isn't the best experience.
Ruby is in the same sort of sphere as Python, just with a smaller community. It's possible to use it to make games though it's not the "best" choice. If you do choose to use it I'll call you a hipster.
Rust is a language that seeks to be like C++ but more secure. There's a vocal section of the community that is obsessed with leftist politics so that may affect your enjoyment of the community. I don't really know a lot about the language itself because Holla Forums can't bring itself to actually talk about the language and I don't want to learn it.
Go is Google's C with more features like garbage collection and memory safety. It's fine. You can use it for gamedev if you want to. You'd be better off using Go to write the server code for your game than actually using it for writing a game.
Ada is for Feds, not for games. Sure, you could write a game using it, but it would be a lot of work as you would be reinventing wheels that already exist for things like C++.
Lua is made for extending existing programs, not writing things from scratch. You can use Lua for things like modding in your game but you don't want the engine to be written in Lua.
Mathematica is not for game dev unless your game is secretly your physics dissertation.
Lisp is for people developing state of the art AI, people who like Emacs, and not really anyone else. If you're used to other languages it will twist your brain as you learn how to use it.
Haskell is like Lisp in that they are both functional programming languages and using them is a different experience than using something like C or Java. It's possible to write a game in Haskell, it's been done before, but I don't recommend it.
Eiffel is a language that exists. It's been used for game development before so yeah, that's a thing.
Brainfuck is for golfers. You do not write a game in this unless you get off to being really fucking tedious.
Malbolge is for masochists. Don't use it to make a game.
Assembly in the modern day is for two kinds of people. Hobbyists and serious hobbyists who sometimes get paid to write drivers. Assembly is the fastest and smallest thing out there, but you really don't need to worry about unless you're making games for the Atari 2600 or Commodore 64. However it is great if you really want to learn how a computer works.

(checked)
Assembly (x86, ARM, PowerPC, or whatever the fuck you're targeting) is worth learning just to understand what your code is being compiled to. Some understanding of assembly and compilers will help a lot with optimization and debugging even though you'll rarely write assembly directly.

Wrong.

C# was designed as a direct competitor to Java, so much that Microsoft stole the syntax to poach programmers.
It actually ends up having better support in terms of tools, supported frameworks, general language feeling, and mature compilers and open source community.
The only real advantage that Java has is that it's run natively on a lot of devices (eg mobile phones/Android) and it's full of Pajeets with shitty code.

It's interesting to think how C# literally grew out of Java. Microsoft originally made its own implementation of Java, however it included a ton of nonstandard features. The implementation was called J++. Then eventually they decided to split it off into a new language, called J#. And now the current version is called C#.

Originally it was "C# is Microsoft's Java branded to be Microsoft's c++" and I should have kept it as that. Still would have been wrong, but less so.
I knew about the James Gosling quote too. Stupid mistake on my part.

Yes, provided that it has fun melee that you can switch to once you're out of guns.

I like C# a lot, I find it a fantastic language that has a great deal of portability, but without having to worry about manual memory management (a good or bad thing depending on your point of view).

I wish that certain features (eg generics) were present from the start, it had a smaller standard language out of the box, but with a .NET-compliant "extended stdlib"

Also, looks like ~48h left on the monogame jam

What's you view on Lino? It seems to be a more readable, cross-platform version of assembly.

He's right though. I'm not even close to Holla Forums, or right leaning, but I'd rather not risk shit. I know it's dumb, but I don't want to shove my political beliefs down peoples throat in my games, nor do I want people to ignore my games because of my politics.
It shouldn't be that way, but being tied to GG will leave you on an unspoken blacklist and stifle your ability to share your game with a wider audience. I know a lot of people here make games as a hobby so they don't give a shit, but I'd like to at least keep the dream alive that I can reach some form of obscure success.

GG was always a "private" thing, with all work of any value done anonymously or through pseudonyms. Anyone who stuck their neck out on Twatter got what they deserved.

I've never heard of Lino.
Looking it up it seems like a really interesting and useful idea, though I can't say much about execution. I doubt it will replace assembly on a large scale but once it's fully developed and supports more platforms I can see how it could work for people who need something within a hair's breadth of assembly but also need portability.

So basically a LOT of autists from around Holla Forums.

You do realize that by posting here, on Holla Forums, you are automatically a gamergator in these people's eyes right? So better not post any identifiable details of your game, or you'll never be able to release it with your name without being fucked.

You have successfully described high-level languages. Would you like a cookie?
Non-shitpost answer: I have never heard of the language before now, I'm turning up no documentation on it except for a word salad thesis and a wiki article that reads like a markov bot that I'm almost positive has had any links to the language's site replaced with malicious urls. On top of that:
"Assembly" isn't a language, there are different assembly languages for different processor architectures/instruction sets. Cross-platform isn't an assembly-level concept. Lino is a high-level language trying to sell itself as an assembly language.
TLDR: into the garbage bin if it's not already in there. If you want a readable, portable assembly language, use C.
Aggression not actually directed at you, I'm writing a compiler for my capstone project.

That PDF is for some other thing. The Lino I was referring to is actually L.in.oleum. To be precise, the language is extremely low level but can be ported to any target environment that has modules made for it.

anynowhere.com/bb/layout/html/doors/local/frameset_linoleum.html

They are no longer relevant.

doesn't matter in those ideologues heads. If you're going to hide the agdg logo in your game probably best not to use the 8ch exclusive one at the very least if you care about getting shit on by SJWs. They're not my audience, but I'd rather not have a very vocal community encouraging the piracy of my game like that guy with GG tweets from 2014. A bigots dollar, and all that shit.

Figures, it was just one of the few things I actually found that sounded semi-relevant.
So if I'm reading you (and the site) correctly, it's an assembly language that runs in a virtual machine. Neat, but that defeats the purpose of writing assembly in the first place. You'd really be better off just writing C. Speaking of which, Lino's forums and development seem pretty dead. I definitely wouldn't want to touch a language where I can't reasonably expect answers to questions in a day.

It cross-assembles from a theoretical VM instead of executing, with the SYS and CPU packs acting like interpreter libraries. It's all done ahead of time and the output is apparently pretty damn efficient. The creator of the language also made the Noctis game series, and intended to use it to develop a new version. And yeah, the forums are dead.

Sounds like LLVM/any other JIT language. You can embed LLVM and get JITted code in your program as well. You can also embed Clang and get JITted C/C++ code, or any other language that Clang supports.

How's everyone doing? I'm going to have to cut a few corners cos I procrastinated with Kingdom Come too much.

No idea if this is helpful to you guys but I found it on accident
isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines

adding this to the wiki would be a good idea

I finally figure how to do that "give your character name"-thing. Now I just need to figure out how I get it in the game window, instead of command prompt. Also, doing anything with the gamewindow(like keypressing) while it is waiting for you to write name makes the game not respond and you have to close the game thru task manager.I'm not very good at programming. But this is good enough for now, that I try to do some other things now, maybe.

You should probably just make it so that no prompts are being listened for unless the player character has been completed rather than doing this.

Basically you get the player to go through the creation prompts, and only set the switch to listen to in-game inputs once that creation prompt is done for.

JUST

Why am i getting a "IndexOutOfRangeExeption" on line 13

using System.Collections;using System.Collections.Generic;using UnityEngine;public class MakeAQuadFaggot : MonoBehaviour { public Vector3[] newVertices; public Vector2[] newUV; public int[] newTriangles; void Start() { newVertices[0] = new Vector3(0,0,0); //

You need to declare a size for newVertices when you initialize it.

whats the best way to get a start in amateur game developing. im thinkin of doing a pong clone just to get the feel of programming better then im gonna do a smb clone then ill progress from their. i know im doing c++ so

If you're starting fresh from nothing than that sounds pretty good to me

I'm currently using godat because of how user friendly it is, the goal i have in mind is that if i can progress form doing simple 2d projects to being able to create a medium-scoped game. most preferably a rpg game.

If you're using an engine then you can probably skip pong directly.

public Vector3[] newVertices = new Vector3[4]; public Vector2[] newUV = new Vector2[4]; public int[] newTriangles;

like this?

holy shit i found the problem the vector arrays where public and unity was setting the array size to 0 because of whatever i had their first in the unity edior.

ok thanks
i thought i twould improve my programming skills.
im also using c++ so it shopuld be easy

I make this mistake weekly. Unity overriding a public variable through the editor is a real good incentive to make things private.

Pong is great if you're doing stuff from the ground up. Teaches you how to show what's happening, register inputs, understand the basics of normals etc
Most of that is already done in the engine so it's just kind of a waste

How do I organize my source files for images, sounds and so on and keep a check on where I got everything from and who I need to attribute?

For example, I download few audio files and use them to make a jumpSound.wav. Ideally I'd like to keep info on all individual files that were used to make that sounds, so I could easily find every source file if I ever needed a particular one again. I can think of few methods.
The first one seems really bothersome. Second one is convenient but seems to be impossible for a lot of file types, from what I learned so far.And the third one is just fucking chaos. What do I do? Is there a better way?

Any way of alleviating the immense sense of dread when I open an IDE?

If you're archiving things, you could just make a readme file and toss groups of shit together in a ZIP file.

Even archive.is is not infallible, so at the end of the end you need to make sure that YOU are properly backing things up

I constantly wonder how much power the SJW cretins hold. You'll hear "none" from here and this is the only place that address the SJW question. However, I'm sceptical that takes in to account the line between a 1-man team getting a game to at least be known by autists on here, and trying to have a career making games + having enough money to fund a small studio or at least pay to commission something that you can't do on your own. The only way you can make the best game possible at your fullest potential is to do it full time and have other people fill in areas you cant. Then there's different opinions about money on here which you need if you're going to do this for a living, with shit like the retard who spams lolis and "Artists shouldn't get paid" in every thread. I also wonder how many NEETs bias the opinion.

This is important because people need to acknowledge how well SJWs can fuck with your lifeblood. Blacklisting from events might be pretty big but the only event normalfags even watch is E3, so maybe not so much. I doubt normalfags read the shitty gaming articles either. We all know word of mouth is the most effective, but where does that even start? I know streamers is one way, but I don't remember tumblrtale being streamed until after it was already popular. I feel SJW use to have a ton of control over this via neofag, since the authoritative voices on there could tell the plebs what to like, then the plebs would go to other sites or talk to friends and shill it regardless of quality. However, now that resetera is basically locked down this is gone. They still manage to get their word out somehow. Shit like "Shower with your dad simulator" caught on (probably because it was so weird to normalfags despite being "art" to SJW).

I kind of lost my train of thought while posting this, but there needs to be an indepth analysis of just how much the SJW control normalfags, and through that, control the game industry. I know it's not Hollywood or Mainstream music levels, yet.

welp

Don't use IDE.

Speaking of IDEs

How bad is it? It's a modern MS product

This is how SJWs take over. They shove their politics in everything they do and create a lynchmob over anyone who disagrees or does not bend the knee to them. Then everyone is too afraid to do/say anything since they'll be almost entirely alone against a gang of cultists. After long enough what is "normal" and what is "politics" shifts.

They do it because nothing they make can stand on it's own merit. It's a clique/cult in a pyramid of power that abuses it's connections to stay alive. Soyim at the bottom, devs ontop of them, journalists ontop of them, popular devs on them, and the ones who profit off them all at the top. Not to different from Music/Movies/Art.

When one group is trying to build a political pyramid of corruption and is bullying/blacklisting anyone near them into submission the only way you can keep the dream alive is to stay as far away from them as possible, until they eventually come to you or blacklist you out of the industry.

It's actually good. 2015 is the modern MS product you're talking about

Almost done with the set of headpat animations. I use draw.io to keep track of the shit I need to do. Blue arrows are animations and if they have red outline they are not done. Green are done.

SJWs only have as much power as you give them. Look at Kingdom Come: Deliverance, it triggered assloads of Twitterfags and press members, yet it was a huge success and has already outsold many of last year's AAA titles. The press will still cover your game even if they hate your guts because they can't resist clickbait: you just need to make a good game and market it well (read: not reddit ads disguised as tutorials).
The worst thing that can happen is retailers blacklisting your game and that takes a Hatred-tier edgefest.

Getting on the bad side of SJW's is definitely to your disadvantage, but it's hard to quantify.
When it comes to it; there's essentially two things that can happen:

I don't think what you said is really relevant. If there was massive kvetching on twitter that means the game already had the coverage it needed and SJWs couldn't do anything about it except complain. I also did a quick lookup. Their prototype was funded by a fucking billionaire and then 3 years later it took off on kickstarter. I'm not talking about hitting gold twice. Just trying to make ends meet in a industry where if you trigger a member of the media-cult they'll blacklist you from everything.

It's the same with their game show events. I saw a GDC talk which was essentially about shilling your game at these events, then at the end the dude basically goes "Oh yeah you get no boost in sales from doing this, but here's all the connections I made and what I got out of them". I'm not really worried about slander, so much as other ways they can fuck with you. Blacklisting, making it harder to find a publisher or other resource should you need one, etc. What the non-obvious effects of their fuckery being.

That's true. I have a theory on this, and it's that SJWs want to control the entire industry. Essentially their entire power structure is built on connections within their cult doing each other favors. Someone succeeding without them shits all over this, and if they can't make them bend the knee and become part of the cult they'll try to destroy them.

You said it yourself: if you're outside their clique and successful they'll try and topple you whether you're openly against them or just neutral. Don't worry about them or bend over for them and you'll be fine.

Of course that's the case, user. It's also why SJWs hate video games as a whole - it's the only medium, outside of Anime, which they haven't been able to pervert, corrupt, and rape violently with their degeneracy, their political agenda and their no-fun-allowed attitude. And it's not coincidental that Video games and Anime both are biggest in Japan - they're the sole reason why vidya still stands strong against them, even if most western devs and localization teams are beyond cucked. The people like Kamiya and other japanese devs who scoff at the notion of their games being sexist are the reason we can still make non-pozzed games. Without them, the only examples of vidya we'd have would be Western games, and the whole medium would be exactly like what you see from Hollywood. Every big 2018 release would just be Fuck Drumpf, the game.

alternatively, I wish that games crashed and became obscure again, only made and played by true hobbyists, and normalfags could fuck off back to sportsball or whatever

I'm coming around more and more to the idea of focusing on giving copies out to streamers and Youtubers and hoping they give you the time of day, with other social media being a secondary way to get your name out. At the very least it would give you an expanded pool of testers as a litmus test for any potential issues you were too involved to see or that friends were too hesitant to bring up.

If you're talking about the Move or Die guy it should be pointed out his game has like 700,000 owners on Steam Spy now. So whatever he did ended up working.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. It's not about archiving anything. I'm not sure how am I supposed to keep all the files I'll use in my game organized. And by organized I mean, when I download something I probably won't use it in it's original form - various image and audio files from various sources will be combined into new textures and sounds. Some of the stuff I downloaded won't be used at all because I'd change my mind. I want to be able to keep tabs on what exactly is being used and where did I get the files from to properly attribute their respective authors and shit.

Are there any examples of a GOOD game being ruined by this? I think the quality product can defend itself as long as you're not a political meme spewing autist.

>games became obscure again
Not gonna happen, only certain genres could become obscure at most. Meme games like DDLC are dirt cheap to make compared to AAA games and they get played by hundred of thousands and watched by millions, so no crash would kill those.

There's no need to get a publisher in this digital distribution age. Just sell on Steam, itch.io, GOG or Desura and tell corporate to fuck off. If you're trying to get funding, you're shit out of luck in the current economy anyway. A ton of learning material and libraries are freely available, engines cost potato compared to what you need to make to sustain yourself on them, and the internet is flooded with CC-BY licensed material for you to freely use commercially.
I don't really see what you'd miss out on, unless you intend to pay out of the ass for some state-of-the-art component/engine.

There were a bunch of GDC talks about how to shill your game, but it all basically comes down to "do something that's not the same shit".
Whilst anything innovative is a corporate liability, it's a requirement for ecelebs to give a fuck.

Why don't you just make your own assets
If you try, you'll come up with something mediocre, and then you don't have to credit anyone!

How many devs first game was their best game? For most, usually they where doing license work or made obscure titles before they struck gold. A lot of them went through a refinement process, building themselves up for bigger and bigger budgets before releasing their landmark games. It's likely the same for indies, except you never get to that point.

From what I can tell, yeah. It's vid related. That's kind of what I'm getting at. He probably abused his connections. I think everyone who says they have no power is looking at the shortrun where your game is already selling or has a buzz and pissing them off generates more buzz. But what about the long run? How many unseen things are effecting you.

I starting thinking about this from my days of being addicted to dota where there was so many butterfly effects and minute things that would make a huge difference later in the game, as opposed to just winning a huge teamfight and ending.

not dead

wat tunes

lemonade by nuke

hey is godot a good game engine. It has a good programming language called gdscript and i already am getting the hang of python. so should i use godot if i was making a rpg

I tried it in the beginning and it's a fool's errand. Guess it's excel for me then.

You're right. Achieving success is not only about making good enough game but mostly about finding a way to market it properly. Being disliked by some asshole could be a speed bump that makes a difference between being unnoticed or having a snow ball success (or at least making good enough sales).

So it all comes down to having friends that'll support you when the shit hits the fan, whether it's your fanbase or influential figures in the industry.
>mfw when I remember the ability to socialize is more important than anything else no matter what you do

What is the gamedev scene for Go like? The language seems like the best choice for me but I never hear about people making games with it.

Supposedly Go's garbage collector is especially unsuited for gamedev but I haven't looked into the details yet.

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/get-ready-get-noticed-get-big-a-practical-guide-to-marketing-your-indie-game

Fuck that, I'll just go into a junior programming position then at some software company.

Sounds accurate.

Or you can get people who like your game to market it for you, for free

Holy shit just make a good game. If it's a solid game it will advertise itself once a few people play it

you are clearly overestimating the power of beginners

btw is godot a good engine for making games

no, use rpgmaker

why rpgmaker and not godot

Engines are for pussies, real men thrust their throbbing dicks into the CPU fan and stitch the meaty chunks together in the form of their dream game.

Does anyone know how System.Guid works in C#? I'm trying to make a system where creating new item will assign a new guid to the item. From what I understand guid makes a new 16 byte id that's completely unique, does it store those already used guids in a database somewhere? If I'm storing the item guids on a file to be able to load the game later how do I restore this database to make sure a new id is unique?

There is no database, it just generates the GUID in such a way that it is extremely unlikely that you get a collision.
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20080627-00/?p=21823
There's 2^122 different GUIDs, which is more than 5300000000000000000000000000000000000. The only way to get the same one is to revert the clock to the same moment on the same machine, and just happen to get the same roll on a 1 in 16384 chance. And hat's with that particular algorithm, it might use algorithms as random for all I know.

How the fuck do you set up an Urho3D project? I've built it all according the instructions, but the "Using Urho3D library" is just completely confusing, the only video i can find is in russian and seemingly outdated.

I thought that number was a bit low, but you're right. Courtesy of Wolfram Alpha, the full value is 5,316,911,983,139,663,491,615,228,241,121,378,304 or 5 undecillion 316 decillion 911 nonillion 983 octillion 139 septillion 663 sextillion 491 quintillion 615 quadrillion 228 trillion 241 billion 121 million 378 thousand 304. Even assuming you end up with a trillion assets in your game, that's still a 1 in 5,316,911,983,139,663,491,615,228 chance of a collision.

Ah I see, thanks.

Hey nerds, GUIDs are not cryptographically secure. This means there is a chance of a hash collision, and more frequently than you'd expect. Despite the number of digits, many GUIDs have fixed values, based on eg hardware or repeated sections. As much as a third of the value is predictable

Learn what Dictionaries and GetHashCode does.

I'm looking through Unity's "nigger drag and drop dyke" asset pack. I'm actually pretty optimistic that I'll learn something from looking at the code.

Nevermind. I took a look at just the health pack script.

which do you pajeets prefer? mass produced vector art

or contracted mass produced korean art

drag and drop dyke part 2:
Polygon colliders are best used for objects that are almost completely box-shaped

I'm beginning to suspect that they subcontracted this out to actual pajeets.

public void EnableInvulnerability(bool ignoreTimer = false) { m_Invulnerable = true; //technically don't ignore timer, just set it to an insanly big number. Allow to avoid to add more test & special case. m_InulnerabilityTimer = ignoreTimer ? float.MaxValue : invulnerabilityDuration; }

sea of thieves is gay, I want to make a comfy bushranger sim

Remember, every animation gets its own folder

And every frame gets its own separate image

Well yeah, they're kinda intended for networking so you can create an identifier for each machine.All the fixed digits are pretty much unique to each machine.

added perspective option

I like that much better

Shouldn't that guy on the cross also be blobman?
i know that this is borderline heretical i just don't know any other way to put it

It's meant to be taken symbolically, like in a cartoon. The house has steps before the door, even though blobmen don't have feet. I just noticed that the doors don't have handles. If we were autistic about it, it could be said that's realistic because blobmen seem to be using some kind of telekinesis to manipulate objects instead of hands, therefore they wouldn't need doorknobs to open doors.

But why.

works for me
have you sinned? that usually causes

idk i like the idea of world building being consistent if nothing else and defining the world around your characters or your characters around the world rather than simply having them exist as placeholder substitute people.

please help if anyone knows, still didnt figure it out

Most likely the only person here with Urho3D experience would be the guy who just released Hellbreaker, and he doesn't post here very often and is probably busy with post-release stuff.

you faggots can't do anything right

That's what you get for working with obscure engines/frameworks, nobody to help you.

Make one then.

newfags leave

I just want a C++ 3D engine that can be used as a library, go ahead and recommend something please

unreal engine 4 is c++ and technically open source
you can download it from their launcher, or download the source files and build it yourself

really?
I didn't know that

what you want doesn't exist

VOXLAP is both of those things, but you probably aren't thinking of something like that

UE4 can't be consumed as a library though, you have to work around their class structures and use the editor for almost everything

Irrlicht and Urho3D both are C++ and can be consumed as libraries, but they are both obscure as fuck and on the verge of abandonment

No, not really

Just use a framework.

you fag, you can't do anything right

I do know one, but you need a licensing deal with Sony to get access to it. And I'm not sure it's still being updated, it's been a few years since I last used it, plus it had shit documentation as well.

Thats just a different name for what i said, can you recommend one?

PhyreEngine?

Ogre3D

Corpus on crosses painted by Chełmoński was very simple and I don't think the painter nor the people who built them had any heretical intentions. But still, I I wanted to add that Christ from the roadside cross in my vilage

yep, gotta do something about that.

It was a feature I was asked to add. Glad you like it. I'm gonna play isometric myself

thanks unity you cunts

Yeah, PhyreEngine. The actual editor was slow as fuck and crashed even more than Unreal does. We did most of the work in code because of that.

well avoiding the great schism (ima catholic myself well raised catholic not really but thats getting off topic) the borderline heretical was calling Jesus Christ our savior a "blobman" but as man was made in the image of god and his son be made manifest would not the Christ in your game take the form of your character? should not he image on the crucifix be that of the image of "blobman" not man?

I downloaded the latest Unity beta to try Probuilder and it's absolutely fucking great
I was able to make something even with my complete inability of using 3D modeling software

Also character controller is pretty much done, just need to fix some animations and add a few fixes here and there

that's a pretty neat character

yay, Drill Boy lives!

I get what you're getting at. Reminds me of Sci Fi authors asking whether intelligent life on other planets would need saving as well and had Christ come to them as well
I was considering it but it just didn't seem right. We'll have to live with the inconsistency… for now.

Did you work on a commercial game? Or did you get your hands on it via university?

Yeah i think i'll go with that for now

Which means that if you have 128 bits or whatever to each GUID, and say, 32 of them are predictable, then it's actually a 96 bit UID.

Consistency just for the sake of consistency is pointless when you're not creating some super rational world. What matters is the meaning and benefit the elements you use add into the work. This applies especially to visuals. If he'd decide to put a blobman on a cross, I believe most people wouldn't interpret this as shodanon's dedication to consistency, but rather as a parody or mockery. Leaving Christ's form as a man makes it clear, to me at least, that the game uses blobmen simply as symbols for people and that there isn't any deeper meaning behind the way they look.

yay, i can get fuse characters in here that are more or less correctly rigged
only gonna have to disable hair
guess i won't have to make a trillion blendshapes

i'm thinking of starting a new project, a diablo 2 clone with art based off of this wired polish comic i found

that's just pokemon though

University. It was right before the PS4 came out, working on a PS3 project. Can't say much more than that without breaking the NDA I had to sign, though.

Yes, but only if you create them all on the same machine. And it's 48 bits that are predictable on the same machine, and 6 bits that are always predictable. That still leaves almost 19 sextillion GUIDs per machine.
For reference, if you fill 16 GB of memory with 64 bit classes and were to create a separately stored GUID for each of them, that would be only 2 billion objects (and you'd need 32 GB of additional memory to store those GUIDs). That's almost 13 orders of magnitude less than 19 sextillion.

looks cool, where can I follow your progress? got a subreddit or a tumblr I can check out?

Those eye bones are a really frigging cool idea
I'd be adding a crown of thorns myself
Is… isn't this technically this fan art? better than lewds

bretty gud, the proportions are better than that standard Unity capsule. I never realized how easy to make and fun to pose would a simple model like this be. Pity the blobmen are already taken twice over.

…It's beautiful

Yeah well what about this then?
9000 hours in MS paint Krita. I only have a mouse with me right now.

This is such a travesty of art that I am going to have to load up blender and do a better job of it.

In my defense it's mostly shit on purpose. I can make kinda okay art, but it takes fucking ages. Even more so with just a mouse.
Anyhow, I am now looking forward to some really hot 3D blobby sis art.

Do you think I can make a few sets of these sorts of tiles (Pico-8 palette, 16x16) and sell them for $2 on itchio store? Would someone PAY for these?

Given how Unity has made money off of its asset store, yes.

No.

Unity store makes money from complex scripts, 3D models, animations, addons.
They don't make money for stuff that you can just copy with any graphic program

Even if I made it free and had a beg for donations link, I'm sure I'd get somebody to buy it here or there.

kicked-in-teeth.itch.io/pico-8-tiles

I might be able to do this

Does anybody know what the fuck this message means?

I get it has something to do with my lightmaps, but I can't seem to fix it. Unity's stopped at 5/11 Clustering for baking lightmaps and doesn't seem to be progressing whatsoever.
In the meantime my model is all fucked up.

I can't find any info on how to fix this anywhere online

Seems like a waste of time, but you do you

This might take a while because I've forgotten how to use blender.

FIRST

Alright faggot, I'm looking for programmers for a freelance paid opportunity. This is a serious offer, here's some info.

Contact keinart(at)gmail.com. I NEED to see previous portfolio or experience to consider anything. This is a paid job.

No fair!
How the fuck do I make tits and hair?

We Metroid now

I remember seeing One Thousand Lies before. Nice of you to drop by.

I can't help you but some anons over here are really talented. Wish you luck in finding a partner.
Oh, and posting this when the new thread begins would get you more exposure.

Yeah I'll probably do so since this thread is dying already. Thanks for the comment, glad you heard about it before.

I am pleased with how the sucker plants turned out

WHY

Looks it it doesn't like it being concave.

I'm so sorry

I put that exact draw code in the NanoVG example (which uses GLFW instead of SDL) and it draws fine.

renderdoc shows it just shits out 4 verts onto the perfectly fine outline drawn. I can't figure out, something maybe with DEPTH buffers or STENCILs but I've messed around with glClears and glEnables with no changes.

made me want to make a tile editor/10

for the anons that were wondering earlier
its literally that and unironically called Staxel
store.steampowered.com/app/405710/Staxel/

it does look pretty good, I like the 3d model "low pixel" style
and considering it just made early access this january, it shows promise
I for one would look forward to seeing ecchi mods for this
one of the main characters in town is a brown skin cat girl with reasonable proportions

Godot Engine 3, help needed.

What's wrong with this code?
The panels are meant to update when I press one of the buttons.

first thing, is the "print" _on_button_pressed being printed?

second, instead of manually calculating the position for the buttons you could just use a vbox

third, why are you using get_node(".")? you can just call that function from the var itself

fourth, no need to set_process or set_process_unhandled_input

fifth (actually found your error),
since you're using the same receiving functions for all buttons, you should pass the identifier as argument (for example their position index, or "i" in that case)
on the connected function you're always calling "singleton.pokemon[0]" where it should be "singleton.pokemon[arg]" instead

Cloth coliders are in, now TODO

nice, despite the fact that the scarf looks like a lasso stuck in place
did you really manage that? one of the biggest mysteries of the universe is how KISS still haven't managed to fix hair and cloth clipping

good luck user, if you manage a decent cell shading effect, you're my champion

Yes.

Yeah I know, this is just temporarily.

Fixed that, cheers.

Leftover code from something else.
Gone now, thanks for the reminder.

Sorry lad, I'm half asleep with a hangover. No clue what you mean.
I think I done what you suggested?

my brother got some stuff from the unity store to make the cloth physics

Thanks man, all working now.
I will name my firstborn a6bcb9 in your honour.

whats abbenin here

Do I need to be good at geometry to succeed in 3D modeling? like, I don't understand topology or w/e at all and I can't make shit without reference images of the front, side and back, on top of that it still looks shid

tl;dr I think my incapability with geometry is getting in my way with 3d modeling

Made a new bread right before I go to bed:

i made a 3d array and drew individual quads between 1 and 0 spots on it(and then edge faces because errors). it was an attempt to make randomly generated asteroids for game. And to leave the door open to a non height map based landscape.

Geometry is important, but if you lack art fundamentals and the ability to eg think in terms of shape and volume, your models will always suffer. Geometry is just the technical aspect of the medium.

What's nifty is that if you treat each corner as a bool flag, you can express a cube with a single byte. Just an idea.

honestly its my first not tutorial pice of code so im kinda more proud of it than i should be/ its kinda just a minecraft rip off