Visualizing Capital

Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=83Yx6RBvoFc

I thought it was a fantastic overview of the totality of capital, while explaining where each of the volumes of Capital (1, 2 & 3) fit in the system. It's visual, and simply explained so that any layperson could understand. Also, worked out are how political struggles fit into the system of capital reproduction.

This really should be the go-to introductory video on Capital.

Other urls found in this thread:

colestia.itch.io/crisis-theory
repository.cam.ac.uk/bitstream/id/534127/0935.pdf/;jsessionid=93FDDBDC85E5080DE30CE4404C7955F0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

one final bump

I'll check it out OP

will check out too, OP. 'ave a bumpo.

I will bump so comrades will see.

bumperino

Bump. I'll come back after I watch it.

webm or gifs plz

Anyone got the slides?

Wasn't David Harvey the guy who did "the companion to capital" or something?
And wasn't there this one article of someone accusing him of not understanding it?

The entire talk was about one slide.

Is there a bigger version I can't read it

Just pause the video at the image mark and switch to 1080p, then snap a screenshot.

Fuck, I just don't get this shit. I've watched a ton of videos and tried to read it but it just doesn't stick.

That's weird, what specifically do you not understand? Ask questions if you want

found it

Okay, finished the talk. Very good, although a bit incomplete, but to make it complete would probably take significantly longer. Would recommend it nonetheless.

It just feels like it leaves my mind the moment it comes in. I'll watch the video and kinda get it as he's explaining it but then still find myself completely incapable of actually explaining anything about capitalism when it's over. Like, I can follow along when other people explain it but I can't master the knowledge and make it my own or explain it to other people.

Maybe try playing it instead of just listening to it colestia.itch.io/crisis-theory

Try rewatching it a few times, or taking notes, that usually helps. Most people need repetition to really make it stick

The guy has a 13 hour lecture series on Capital if you want something longer.

take notes

Nice, I will watch it. I hope he does go into the other "sources of energy" a bit more, like for example the exploitation of natural resources or the creation of effective demand through the state being potential downfalls for capitalism. That was what a bit missing for me, a final summary of why capitalism is ultimately not sustainable and cannot indefinitely continue, no matter how well balanced it is.

dankon kamarado

Take notes while studying, they are super useful. Try explaining to yourself, and when you get stuck, check your notes. If it's not helping, restudy. It takes time but explaining it to yourself is a great way to find out how much you actually remember and understand, it will help you fill in the missing parts and each time you recall it the memory gets stronger.

What does it mean. Like I sort of get it, the metaphor of the man who understands himself in another man is helpful for something, but its still floating slightly out of my reach.

The word value is a bit of a pain in the ass I think. It has all of these connotations and the mind tries to connect them with what is being said. Random people see it and think of mudpies, they think "how does labor make value?" In one of the conventional senses of the word. Mark says that labor doesn't create value. I get that. But when you get to the "value is seen during exchange" and that it is social, it's so abstract but I'm still clinging to this notion of value as "valuable". Or I even scramble between notions like mathematical value, or value as in "values". It's probably just because I haven't got the notion of the thing properly yet, but I feel so wishy washy about it.

Also, it doesn't help that his guy sounds like his challenging zizek and Harvey on their understanding of Marx because then I'm like "are they really both wrong? Does this guy know more about Marx than David Harvey?" And I don't know if I want to really take David Harvey that seriously until I even understand what this critique is trying to get at.

Why don't you read the original stuff?

I'm in the same boat. I'm about to read Harvey's tomb limits of capital. but what if he's wrongngggg

I read maybe a quarter to a third of capital vol. 1 like, 2 years ago and watched some David harvey supplemental stuff, but that other dude is right. I always thought took Harvey's stance that value was being considered something within the commodity outside of exchange. I always thought of exchange value as basically price, and this was somehow related to value but not totally representative of it. But this guy is saying value = exchange value.

I also don't remember it well, but he has a quote from Harvey pretty explicitly showing that he thinks value is something aside from exchange value. So I'm then curious what Mark is trying to get it, how it relates to what Harvey thinks, and what the consequences of Harvey's and Mark's interpretation of Marx is.

But I do plan on reading Capital fully at some point, I've just been busy with school.

iktf

I like to make for myself a big glossary of definitions. every time a speech or an author gives their definition of something i circle and underline it than copy it out.

then i memorize the definitions, they'll often have 3-5 things that make them up.

Then if I'm struggling with smoething, I can fake it by just repeating a definition, and if i want to stretch myself I start connecting two or more definitions

it is like a language, if you don't use it everyday you're just going to forget it.

So,

work is the placing the potential value within a material thing, which then becomes value in the process of social exchange in the market?

How does this work for the service industry?

I like how the Production of Human nature is included, I had always assumed Harvey wasn;t antihumanist

Critical thinking is a socially given capacity; find someone you can talk to about what you've read and don't just regurgitate it. Express it in a relevant form. Do this enough and you'll be able to elaborate on whatever you are reading with the degree of complexity necessary for independent studying.

he's saying people are only rich inasmuch as others will buy what they're selling

Can someone explain what the realization of value is?

You don't need any companions to capital, it's not that hard.

when you use something i think you are realizing (experiencing) the use-value, when you exchange it, you are (making real) realizing the exchange-value (which may or may not be price)

Use-value and exchange-value are two different things.

Also, take a look at this for an analysis of the service industry.
repository.cam.ac.uk/bitstream/id/534127/0935.pdf/;jsessionid=93FDDBDC85E5080DE30CE4404C7955F0

well of course, those two values are a contradiction within every commodity

Value is realized through exchange.

I have mixed feelings on David Harvey. I disagree with his interpretation of labour theory. I don't agree with Jehu on much anymore but I think his critique of Harvey is spot on. Honestly, he's probably my least favourite "Marxian". Anwar Shaikh has the most comprehensive economics. I'm saying all before watching the video but I've watched some of his other lectures.

bump