Why read books?

What is the point in wasting time reading an entire book when you can find out all the key points and important pieces of information from it by finding essays, studies, articles on it, etc?

Is it not more stupid and meaningless to waste such a large amount of time reading a book which is filled with generally quite useless information besides the key points?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x4e523w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

can I get the sauce on that?

can't remember fam sorry

Because I like reading and feel I have a better grasp on the concepts than when I read a summary by someone other than the author.

don't worry I found it

share it

Here you go, fam.
dailymotion.com/video/x4e523w

K I L L YO U R S E L F
K I L L YO U R S E L F
K I L L YO U R S E L F
K I L L YO U R S E L F
K I L L YO U R S E L F

Because only by reading the entire thing by yourself, you can be sure that (reasonably, publishers and translators notwithstanding), the material hasn't been tampered with and the person conveying you the message of the book isn't presenting it's content in a certain way, to push his agenda and ensure that you only get -his- interpretation of the material.

You're a weeb, let's put this into weeb terms.

Let's say you want to see that one K-On movie where they go to england, because you're retarded.
Let's say i come to you and tell you "yeah, the gang goes to england and cute and interesting shenanigans happen all over the place, it's hilarious".
Except nothing interesting happens in that movie, and i'm straight up lying to you with MY PERSONAL INTERPRETATION of the events because it's my agenda to brainwash you into being a brainless moe loving waste of flesh (i mean, even more than you are right now).

That's why you should read and understand shit by yourself.

It depends, sometimes the source material explains things in bigger detail. It's fully understandable if you don't feel like reading Bakunin's fedora-tipping or Kropotkin studies over ants vomiting into each others' mouths, but from my personal experience it's better to read some the source material in case of advanced stuff like political economy, or at least the source material and shit that explains it at the same time

Oh god, when did he write about that?

Kropotkin?

Gabriel Dropout

nothing wrong with Boku no Pico tho

I would agree you don't have to read the whole book if you know how to get to the important parts of information, but it's entirely possible if you skip anything you're going to miss something that could have been damn useful. Been through college. Read when I can. That's just my theory. The reality everyone's time is limited and reading one thing instead of another is an information opportunity cost you have to deal with.

when you read a fully developed argument, you're venturing through the whole argumentative process, learning how the author develops it, enabling you to see homologous situations and apply the same process.

you will never get that from summaries or cliff notes.

Read books. Don't be a dumb ass.

I would do that for free

READ,NIGGA.READ

Vignette is Lenin
Satania is Hitler
Raphiel is Britain
I don't know who Gabriel would be

Oh my oh my

Is that Mao Zedong on the right?

tbh Mutual Aid is the reason why I now believe ants are the perfect species.

I liked the K-On! movie :(

You have no idea, they could very well become the dominant specy on earth after we nuke ourselves.

What about novels, though?

Because the essays, studies, articles on it, etc, might be something like

And so on, and so on.