Japanese shooters

Jayden Edwards
Jayden Edwards

When it comes to third-person/first-person shooters, it seems like there's a grasping at straws for titles coming out of Japan. So, I'm curious as to what other ones exist aside from the titles pictured above.

Kevin Cruz
Kevin Cruz

Is Devil's Third actually good? I have been told is shite.

Ryan Richardson
Ryan Richardson

Starting off with one that's popular over there.

Aiden Williams
Aiden Williams

apparently it's pretty fun, but suffers from underpowered hardware issues (Wii U). It really needed released on another console/PC

Robert Ross
Robert Ross

Just remembered these three.

Ian Myers
Ian Myers

Rosuto Puranetto Ekusutoriimu Kondittsyuon
Enemi Zero
Vankisshu
Debiruzu Saado
Furiidamu Waozu
Why do the Japs spell out English names in their own characters, rather than name their game something intelligible to their own people, and then translate it to something intelligible in English? Is it just a case of them thinking that English sounds cool, or a are they trying to keep consistency in international markets or something?

Angel Fisher
Angel Fisher

Isn't Gungrave Sega? I remember that game being breddy fun.

Dylan Perez
Dylan Perez

E.X. Troopers
Time Crisis 4 (Extra Mission)
Time Crisis: Razing Storm. (Story Mission)
Dino Stalker
Resident Evil Survivor Serie
Shadow of the damned
Ghost in the Shell (PSX)
WinBack Series

It really needed released on another console/PC
Sucks really hard, the online multiplayer portion is gone forever even the PC one.

Lucas Watson
Lucas Watson

Would really like to see a Japanese take on FPS. Also despite cover based third person shooters being primarily a western thing, the Japanese basically invented the genre with Winback and Kill.Switch, unless there are games released before then that I am not aware of.

Jack Bell
Jack Bell

Binary Domain was pretty neato

Jack Flores
Jack Flores

Would really like to see a Japanese take on FPS
See

Breakdown is one of the coolest FPS games ever.

Jack Sanchez
Jack Sanchez

My guess is that they get terms from western media because they think that we're using it formally. Tactics Ogre was named after a Queen song and a lot of Jojo Stands were named after other songs.

Wyatt Robinson
Wyatt Robinson

Is it just a case of them thinking that English sounds cool
yes

Benjamin Martin
Benjamin Martin

I enjoyed it, has a solid PC port to.

Michael Rogers
Michael Rogers

Yes. It runs buttery smooth.

Aiden Watson
Aiden Watson

Japs cant into gameplay unless its some casual bullshit with at leat one gimmick you can exploit to break the game and easily avoid the real challenge

Chase Reyes
Chase Reyes

it just a case of them thinking that English sounds cool
Bingo

David Morris
David Morris

resident evil 4 and 5

Daniel Gomez
Daniel Gomez

Just turn off the voice control gimmick.

Bentley Wilson
Bentley Wilson

has a solid PC port to.
Actually it was a bit shit on release but it's since been patched.

Charles Morgan
Charles Morgan

crippled with DRM
solid port

Eli Hernandez
Eli Hernandez

Precise Dwarf Bravery

Wyatt Sanchez
Wyatt Sanchez

Enemy Zero is survival horror you dumb nigger.

Jason Davis
Jason Davis

It's the best naming convention honestly
You avoid the perils of localization changing shit entirely, and you get a name that sounds good and not retarded in both languages

Jordan Rodriguez
Jordan Rodriguez

Tactics Ogre was named after a Queen song
Pretty sure that's because Matsuno is a Queen fan.
and a lot of Jojo Stands were named after other songs.
Same concept; Araki is westaboo who listens to American and British music.

Wyatt Robinson
Wyatt Robinson

I think you may have replied to the wrong user.

Adam Bennett
Adam Bennett

So is F.E.A.R..

Samuel Reyes
Samuel Reyes

Nope, Binary Domain is crippled with Steam DRM.

Jose Young
Jose Young

If I had to guess I'd say they are poor translations of the titles they come up with in Japanese. A lot of them have broken grammar for no reason, to me it sounds like they are using their grammar but with English words.

Oliver Lewis
Oliver Lewis

ctrl-f metal gear
no results

This thread and OP is fucking retarded.

William King
William King

shooting in mgs

Dominic Davis
Dominic Davis

Fear is survival horror in name only. Trying to survive in fear is easy unless faceless stormtrooper types scare you into a paralysis.

Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks

I found vanquish boring as fuck when it came out for PC. I don't understand the hype at all.

Camden Reyes
Camden Reyes

MGS is a stealth game though.

Oliver Price
Oliver Price

might be because you're boring

Jose Price
Jose Price

its just a generic gears of war clone with slow motion and sliding

James Cooper
James Cooper

Do rail shooters count? If so, Sin and Punishment for the N64 and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor for the Wii.

Aaron Moore
Aaron Moore

Enemy Zero
Kenji Eno RIP.

PS3/Xbox 360/PC developed game funded by THQ, sadly THQ died and then Nintendo needed some boost in third-party games, so they picked it up.

Bentley Sullivan
Bentley Sullivan

No, it isn't. It's an FPS with horror aesthetics.

Evan Allen
Evan Allen

has there ever been a western rail shooter?

Jonathan Flores
Jonathan Flores

That one Dead Space game on the Wii.

Mason Stewart
Mason Stewart

Western as in "Developed in the West" or Western as in "The Wild West" (Of these games pictured, only Wild Guns was developed in Japan)?

Mason Wilson
Mason Wilson

Seung-Hui Cho is my favorite jap shooter.

Brandon Wilson
Brandon Wilson

He is gook, not jap

Angel Hernandez
Angel Hernandez

Depends what you mean. I'm a US Citizen, born in the US, and my first language is English. On the other hand, I didn't drop out of high school, I can read without moving my lips, I wear glasses, I have a passport, and I'm brown. So by one standard I am American, and by another I'm an illegal voter terrorist foreigner migrant who is literally destroying this country just by existing.

Also, I've been playing shooters in 7 different states for the last 36 years with people of all races, including Illinois, and I've never heard anyone suggest that Japanese shooters are just "titles".

That being said, I have never played a Japanese Shooter with a black family, unless you count a black chick I lived with in college and she never mentioned anything like this. I'm guessing it might be an archaic term from the Great Migration, maybe localized to some communities in the South Side of Chicago and outside of the Chicago area? Regardless, you're talking in the wrong place, friendo.

Jose Nguyen
Jose Nguyen

hi /leftypol/

Elijah Hernandez
Elijah Hernandez

Enemy Zero
Shooter

Benjamin Thompson
Benjamin Thompson

Did the japanase ever made a Doom clone in the 90's?

Thomas Gomez
Thomas Gomez

Half-Life 2 Survivor

Jaxon Hernandez
Jaxon Hernandez

the amount of tutorials

japan why

Parker Cox
Parker Cox

Those are cabal shooters dummy, not rail shooters. Note the difference, it's pretty obvious.

Wyatt Howard
Wyatt Howard

best robots damage system also loved the weapons upgrades.

Josiah Sanchez
Josiah Sanchez

freedom wars
I remember playing that on vita. It wasnt actually half bad. Missions sort of got boring but the core combat was pretty good actually, and the bosses and larger enemies were pretty fun to take down. Shame pvp was a tire fire and it never caught on, if the game got a PC release I would totally give it another go. And apparently the team responsible for it was working on something afterwords.

Kevin Rivera
Kevin Rivera

You have been tricked again.

Chase Sanders
Chase Sanders

Would Killer7 count as a shooter?

Caleb Edwards
Caleb Edwards

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are standard TPS. They have vestigial remnants of survival horror but are without a doubt first and foremost shooters.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit