Playstation 2 Thread

Which version of the PS2 is better? Fat or slim?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000H5,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fat for the HDD support alone, Slim is much more of a looker though. Also
HOLY SHIT, THIS GAME AGED LIKE A FINE WINE.

Fat is better for reasons stated. Also what's your guys' favorite PS2 game(s)? Mine is Tekken Tag Tournament.

Yeah that's what I thought would be the answer because I never bought the fat version, I got the slim when it came out. But I'm looking into getting a fat version for modding, but first I need to know what the modding capabilities are

Fat one is an obvious pick
The PS2 laser is fucking trash so burning back ups will only work for so long.

Modding for what exactly?

I've heard some stuff about converting the PS2 to high definition and using a huge hard drive loaded with games, that's about it. Didn't know if there was more to it than that.

Tbh don't bother with anything that will reduce the lifespan of your console.

AC04, Klonoa 2, Armored Core 2, GodHand, Everblue 2, Sakura Wars SLML, Parappa 2.

The Slim is a sexy little machine. It's hard to deny that.

Or do because they are cheap and physical games are not forever.

Slim. Fat was a giant pile of shit when it came to reliability. No point having a HDD if the fucking machine doesn't work anyway.

I prefer the slim for additional utility via HDD. That said, mine was a refurb model, so while I've heard in the past that fats were more prone to dying, I suspect any issues mine had were worked out prior to it getting put back on the market.

They never worked a god damn thing out. Sounds like you won the lottery though.

Fat because you can disk hack it easily compared to the slim and it plays dvd's unlike the slim. They both use about 110 watts per hour max load of electricty so no difference there.

I meant more that broken/faulty parts it might have had got replaced before it got sent back to the store I got it from. I want to say I've had mine since 2011 or so and it keeps on trucking just fine, with both PS1 and PS2 discs, as well as HDD loading.

Didn't the slim have some issues with certain PS1 games?

Shit according to plebbit, not only were there 20 more PS1 games that wouldn't work on slim, there were 10 PS2 games that didn't work on PS2 slim.

Playing DVDs is what killed my first PS2.

The problem wasn't faults per say. It was cheap, badly designed and completely inaccessible. The shitty lasers constantly burned out, the drive bay would always end up jammed and it was impossible to clean too thanks how the overly complex design.

The Slim was basically a PS1 in terms of simplicity, thank christ..

There's some slight compatibility issues across a number of models, not just the slims:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
It gets a bit odd though when you see that there's some PS2 games the 75001 PS2 couldn't play.

Those fucking retards. Is it any fucking wonder this country became Xbox territory.

Have a phat with an HDD and got freemcboot on my slim using the HDD.
What the fuck is with xenosagas cut scenes, holy shit. They are like 20 minutes long. I just got to the cyborg guy. I'm also trying to beat .hack but I have to grind for virus cores, and I'm at the magical level where I'm getting some truly bullshit monsters spawning. Phys immune with health regen, wew.

I have a slim, and it died today. RIP SCPH-700x
The slims can internally damage, and good luck getting inside the slimline PS2 models to fix that crap.

I bought a fat used in 2002. Still using it. They last, or at least this one has.

Robot Alchemic Drive is obviously the best game on the PS2.

I bought a Slim a few days ago for less than 30 dollars from ebay. It was all scribbled by a kid but still works and came with a copy of MGS3 (the version with crappy camera)

Virus cores aren't too annoying in my experiences, provided you know how to make fields/dungeons that are prone to having the right size/level of enemy for what generic cores you need to progress. Admittedly you might need to look up some keywords though to save time. I will say though that G.U.'s Data Seeds are much less of a hassle, though still require setting the plot aside a few times just to get one last fucker (though Yata or Pi will usually tell you exactly where to find it).

Σ Generous Bemused Virgin?

Episode III says right on the back cover that it has over eight hours of movie on it.

I bought a used fat a few weeks ago with Tekken Tag. It's working fine, but there's some dust in the vents in the front that I want to get rid of, but don't know how I should go about doing it.

RAD is awesome, when the fuck is Sandlot going to make a sequel? They are making TWO freaking EDF games at once but no RAD 2. Also it's a game literally impossible to play with KB+M as is so any possible PC release would be iffy.

Fat for HDD modding, though I also think it looks better. The Slim is a nice console but it doesn't have the imposing "mother fucker we're going to play video games!" look that the original PS2 has.

I just got a working fat PS2 today (console only) for less than that. I already have a decades old gaming library with my last additions to it being used copies of Katamari Damacy, We Love Katamari, and Ace Combat 04 (I also have a used copy of the PSX original that I got from a local thrift shop).

The slimline PS2 also had some really bad ventilation, which caused my Graphics processor in my slimline PS2 to take a crap. Also, the later (post-launch) fat PS2 systems were built like tanks, and the slimline PS2s had some compatibility issues if you were talking about the Japanese library of PS2 titles (one of the Initial D games was more dark than on a fat PS2 because of the shading engine, as an example).
YOU ARE GONNA PLAY SOME VIDEOGAMES, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

And the price for my used phat PS2: US$28.76, no shipping (USPS ground) from Ebay.
I've also picked up a memory card with FreeMcBoot on it since I don't have any games that are exploitable (which is why I usually looked in videogames sections of thrift stores on occasion looking for a copy of "Agent Under Fire"). The only game I have that I thought might be able to be exploited was "Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3", but then turns out that my copy was a recent reprint that introduced integrity checks.

Let's not forget that the ventilation on the slimline PS2 was shitty.

Both are flat as fuck pedo bait. I like a mature girl with with curves and Demon Souls.

Who is this cowtits hag

Make a PS3 thread if you love the Playstation 3 so much.

No. Nice dubs though. Go make a Dreamcast thread.

Also, if you're gonna say "the phat PS2's crap", remember that the launch models were the worst, and the later ones were built like tanks.

Also, in embed related, focus on the first story.

oni-chan?

Try air.

I picture the two games merging. They kind of already do. Piloting the mechs in EDF maintains a lot of the absurdity from RAD. Still would love a sequel. VS is some of the most fun I've had in a game, despite being dumb as hell.

I have a fat one but I have to admit that the slim model was more reliable and much better of a looker. The fat model had a ton of hardware issues.

As I said before, the slim models had shitty ventilation, meaning things can break from overheating. However, the fat one only ever had hardware issues in the launch models. Get a SCPH-50000 if the hardware issues of the phat black PS2 worry you.

I have an SCPH-39000 PS2 model. It hasn't crapped out on me, but was it one of the PS2 launch models with hardware issues?

I feel pretty good about my collection.

I get envious of other people's collections every time people post them. It makes me wish I had more space in my room for shit like this.

Correction, it was the 4th on that list.

Launch models usually tend to vary. Some may last, some may break as soon as you look at them funny. Also, no, your PS2 isn't a launch model as your BIOS is a Japanese v7, seemingly. the launch model for the United States was SCPH-30001 running Bios v2, Japan's launch was running on v1 of the bios with SCPH-10000 (because guess where Sony's based out of) being the first model, and SCPH-30003 for the launch in the UK, along with SCPH-30004 Europe running Bios v3.

The fact that shit is unalphabetized irks me. Pretty decent set of games though. How's Genji?

I used to keep up-to-date photos of mine, but stopped doing so as buyfag/shelf threads have become less welcome (and recurring people posting the same shelves, even if the contents of them change, can be seen as identityfagging). How much room are you lacking that you can't manage a small/medium shelving unit though? Especially one that is more vertical than horizontal/ is modular with other units (letting you use 2+ ground level or stacked)?

How does that tie stay on

It's crappy CG, now let's stop talkin gabout CG cartoons and get back to Play-Stay-Shaun.

I have 4 more shelves of console games about that size that I had with me when I lived in an 8x10 camper. How small a place are living in?

I don't know, my backlog has exceeded my desire to play games, so I'm less and less likely to ever get through any of these; especially as the real world becomes more interesting to me. They're there if I want 'em, though. Feels alright.

Well, I suppose regardless, Genji's pretty damn cheap, both the PS2 original and PS3 sequel, from what I've seen where I live. Not sure if that speaks simply to how common/low demand they are, or their quality.

Not as easy finding a list of specific release dates for the PS2 as it is the PS3 from what I've seen. Apparently the original three fat models (SCPH-10000/150000/18000) were Japan only and lacked the expansion bay, and the slim debuted in autumn 2004 (starting with the SCPH-700XX). I'm not sure if they kept making fats after that, but I'd wager if you have one, it was made between 2000 and 2004.

Neither.

I never would have known there were reliability issues with the fat. Got one on launch for Mega Man X7 and it worked for over ten years before it stopped reading discs. It's probably still fixable with a laser swap or something.

I got Genji because I heard good things, so it's probably a safe bet. I just decided to grab any decent (according to my research) ps2 exclusives while they were available, and have 'em if'/when I want to play them. Did the same with other consoles.

Fat for modding and slim for trips

Be aware that fat drives are prone to failure. Get the HDD set up quickly.

No it wasn't. They used the same shitty lasers in the slims.

Bruh, I've got a SCPH-50001 with a laser that crapped out after a couple years. Got it for free from a friend and it sat in my closet for 10 years until I put a HDD in it this spring. Might buy one of the China lasers off ebay to repair it so I can play my PS1 games. They can't be less reliable than the god-awful ones the Sonyniggers put in it.

The only thing that breaks on the fats are the lasers you disgenic, anorexic-loving pedonigger. Slims have the same problems plus no HDD compatibility.

I put a 320GB drive in my PS2 phat, but it's a pain in the ass getting games onto it if you don't have a computer dedicated to the task. PATA IDE hates hot swapping, though I admittedly have not tested PATA/SATA adapters to see if that works better or not. I ripped most of what I have from the PS2's DVD drive itself. The loading speed improvement is very nice. I should perhaps get a SATA HDD connector for the system, and use something bigger.

I use a Sabrent IDE to USB (+sata/laptop ide) adapter and it works very well. Just have to keep in mind windows has its own issues with USB caching that if you are constantly swapping USB ports you'll have to restart your PC to reset USB cache.

I use an IDE to USB cable for mine. Just have to remember to plug the drive into the wall and let it spin up first before connecting it to the computer (the other way around can cause connection drops).

I need a spooky ps2 game for halloween. I got the haunting grounds but is it good and spooky?

Play Forbidden Siren 2.

yes

I have a slim with freemcboot which i only use ESR(for burned games) and OPL(to use SMB with my Computer directly connected to the ps2) which works really well

Need something like newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000H5, but for IDE. I've seen them before but since IDE is dinosaur tech it might take some time searching for it.

Both have their issues, but modding is definitely better on the Fat.

I finished Maximo last weekend.
What a game, my brothers!

The sequel is better

I hope so. Already on my backlog.

Maximo gameplay looks similar to Kaan.

Didn't knew this game existed, looks cool. Just how many great obscure games did the PS2 had?

Don't know, but I feel awesome when I find one.

Games today is too much pretentious, confuses and try too hard to looks attractive. They don't look like a "videogame", if you know I a mean.

This. SMB is the way to go, I just throw ISOs on my server and play. You can even configure it to save on the SMB too.

mein nigger

This fucking game I've looked for fucking ages.
I saw it and played it, and I forgot the name.
I knew it fucking existed.
Thanks lad, it was boggling my mind for so long.

i used to buy it

The system being as big as it was, there's plenty of games that got overshadowed/poorly reviewed despite being rather good. PAL also got a number of Japanese games that North America never did. Granted, I can't speak much on how good some of those are, as they don't show up in discussion too much and people in North America aren't as apt to have played them anyhow, so perhaps there was a reason no NA companies deigned them worth the effort.

I finished it almost three times this year.

is there any difference from the usa version?

Swords of Destiny? There is no NA version.

It's one of the top 5 best selling consoles in history, so it lends itself to an ocean of forgotten games.

Here's a few more notable PAL only releases.
PS2 port of Maken X on the Dreamcast. Interestingly, the voices in the PAL PS2 version were left in Japanese and subtitled instead of dubbed like on Dreamcast.
Hack and slash from Konami. What's odd about this one is that the protagonist sounds like he's voiced by Johnny Young Basch, who works out of LA. Meaning this game may have been slated for a US release at point before Konami settled for a Euro only one.
First game in the EDF series. Only Europe got an English version.
Infamously shitty edgy reboot of the arcade game. Supposedly the US release was cancelled because it was so shit.

Speaking of shit, there's also PAL only shovelware like White Van Racer and Home Alone.>Just how many great obscure games did the PS2 had?

My mistake; GDF was actually the 2nd EDF game. The first was actually Monster Attack, also a PAL only release.

Looking at credits listing on MG, either they only have the credits from the Japanese release or no one from the western release was credited. Wouldn't surprise me if voice actors used, even big name ones, might have gone uncredited with it.

That has to be one of the most bland western game title changes I've heard of.

Must've been a non union project then.
That about sums up many PAL only releases

Here some examples of PAL games given really bland western presentations.

Here's another, the PS2 version of Mahou no Pumpkin, aka Castleween. Interestingly the PAL version came out first.

I've always wondered why publishers for most media don't simply trawl the Internet when looking for cover art and case designs, then fire off a commission request to whosoever looks like they have the right stuff. Nope, it's always "IT CAME FROM THE DEVIANTART" on display. I hear tell this is normally because of (((nepotism))) and such.

Just a quick silly question, if I install HDD into my FAT PS2, is it safe to have it stand like in the OP picture? Or will that mess up my HDD?

They usually have to get permission to use certain art or get someone to make new art

I'm talking about when they completely redo the package art, not simply replace the text layer, and do it in the shittiest manner possible. See the recent flood of DVDs with just the bare-ass title and a shot of one of the characters on the box. Hell, look at most package designs, entirely. They intentionally hire some two-digit IQ mong to fuck around in whatever the image editing application du jour is.

What's your favorite PS2 game? This is mine.

I have to ask, what style does the actual game use? I mean, considering it came out in the PAL first, does the JP cover art look that way simply to market it better and the game itself looks like the PAL cover art, or did the PAL one opt for that western-3D look and the game's actual art better resembles the Japanese render?

PAL

pls no bully

Also, throw out the PS2 version of Max Payne 2. It's trash.

If I wanted to not use the original kit I'd just play on an emulator.

I'm just being a nostalgiafag/collector

You also could trim some fat from your collection. Again, the ports of MP2 and Pandora are shit on PS2.

disc rot really won't affect DVD. They'll outlast you.

I do hope then that you're picking up games you're actually interested in playing (as opposed to just buying to buy), and trying to avoid paying (and thus justifying) scalper prices where possible. Though, you don't seem to have anything that would really cost too much anyhow from the looks of it.

>That Zia tag on MGS2
You Arizona or Nevada?

I'm not a Tekken player, I just picked it up because I wanted to see why the series has such a hardcore following when most 3D fighting games are garbo. (like the 3D Mortal Kombat, which I just have for the laughs.)

Like it or not it was one of the era's big sellers

Mainly have it because I'm a huge Quake fan but I've played it 4 player deathmatch with some mates and it's good fun. Like a wonky PS2 version of Halo with the added glory of bhopping and railguns

Found it in a warehouse, didn't pay a dime

Except that PS2 emulation is shit.

All of my pickups have been dirt cheap. Only things I've payed more than $20 for out of my old games collection are the consoles themselves and Nintendo games. I usually only get games that I played back in the day, which means I'll enjoy them at the least for their nostalgic significance. Anything new I get is either highly recommended or bargain bin/free.

Arizona

Then you should've picked a better Tekken than 4.
What a surprise, the PS2 had the best 3D fighter of that gen.
Mortal Kombat is a shit series regardless of dimension. You don't play 3D fighters much.
That doesn't make it good.

VF4 is kind of boring.

Digital one.

Yes, boring to casuals. If you want flash and less depth, you have Tekken and Soul Caliber.

(You)

so good

You don't make many friends, do you?

thicc

Nice argument and spacing >>>/reddit/
Where do you think you are?

>Arizona
To be fair, I can't speak for how the stores in Nevada are, but I thought as much. The local stores here have an assload of copies of Sons of Liberty that no one wants to buy, even at low prices, though that might be the same for any game store that stocks at least as far back as PS2. Honestly surprised they don't seem to have taken to turning down trade ins for it. Anyhow, with luck you might be able to find some otherwise pricy PS2 games cheap there (assuming the games prone to that are of actual interest to you to play). I've found a lot in the past few years and still continue to manage the occasional half or cheaper pickup there.

Good lord, I can't believe some people experienced Max Payne 2 that way. Disgusting.

I picked up maken shao at an op shop for $2, pretty great purchase

this is the life

not too bad user
wish I'd had a gamecube growing up, as much as I loved my PS2, I loved going to my friend's place and playing Super Mario Sunshine or Pokemon Coliseum

also not pictured there is GrimGrimoire; it's stuck in the case with Disgaea.

Do you mean now, or in the past? Because between the likes of emuparadise, Nicoblog, and The ISOzone you should be able to find plenty these days.

Well no wonder you can't find the PS2 games, you were looking inside iPhone OS installs for some reason

On second though, I'm not I'm not sure if he typoed "ISOs", or "BIOS".