Nu Horror Games Pls

Recommend modern spooky games that your average Holla Forums poster hasn't played

Yes, I realize full well I can get a PS2/Wii emulator and marathon the translated/undubbed Fatal Frame games or replay F.E.A.R. but I want to experience a new thing I haven't played before. And yes, I know the future is bad and the past is better and silent hill 2 is the scariest game of all time and nothing else can ever possibly top it, I just want to try something new.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/nlujzb91wjl0bu7/IrisuSyndromeENv2.03.zip
ftp.vector.co.jp/50/43/3490/irisu203.zip
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I only did one playthrough of Tokyo Dark, and I'm pretty sure I got the worst ending. I don't remember much, but I was actively trying to go insane. I felt fucking horrible when I fucked over that cat cafe for the yakuza.

Also, play "The Cat Lady" if you haven't already.

Evil Within 2 is okay

I only just barely got past the prologue in the first, and it had a very RE4-esque vibe but it was just so dreadfully boring.

Sequel any better?

How many endings are there? I just grabbed it and am on my first run through having a meeting with the police chief after the partner got killed by the redhead

I'd imagine there's several early bad endings for making poor decisions, a "neutral" ending, a "good" ending, and a "true" ending.

But I don't know and the steam forum for it is as dead as a doornail.

Pic related.

Evil Within 2 is such an improvement over the first it's almost suspicious. It's up front about being a sci-fi matrix rather than trying to mishmash all horror tropes and then revealing its actual premise halfway. The enemies are cooler, the protagonist has an actual personality and goal instead of just being some dude at the wrong place at the wrong time with a barebones backstory revealed through files.
Also the stealth is actually viable and has upgrades.

Gotta love the cognitive dissonance and zero self awareness.

1. You were memed by goons and ended up hating on a legit good game. But up to this day you are convinced those haters were ebin leet kids like yourself because… because… you have no idea.
2. Your fatty hands are already writing a reply to this, without realizing you are now in the same exact position as lovers of TEW1 who had to suffer your retarded memes.

ok ill bite what game?

Betrayer.

You'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to think that pile of shit was good.

I guess this means I'm honor-bound to stay silent and let your autism run free, but please do point out which of the following propositions are incorrect.
1's writing is basically all about being mysterious and cryptic, playing the basic premise of STEM as a plot twist, thus in effect making everything before it a carnival ride, or indeed, a dream all along !

Corpse Party can be positively nerve-wracking despite that you're not in danger most of the time. I recommend the 3ds version. pic related is actually fairly accurately translated

Evil Within 1 is fucking schizo on what type of game it wants to be. The first 3 chapters basically don't fill you in on how the game will be played. Even when I was 3/4 of the way through the game I was still confused as to whether this game was RE4 with gunning down waves of enemies, running away or fail stealth.

2 is much more consistent. And ironically the boss fights for EW1 bosses in 2 are much, much better than they were in the first game

Is she implying she's into anal?

Tokyo Dark, bud.

I think she was just butthurt, if I remember right.
no, seriously, that's what happens ingame

Disappointing.

Also, I may be massively wrong about this, but I think she kills herself if you don't ease her asspain.

Hemorrhoids

I remember her dying after the lotion scene, so I don't think that's what causes it.

Holla Forums never fails to disappoint

Too bad, i was intending to increase it, if you know what I mean

Thats more of a gays thing.

EW1's not terrible, just clumsy in execution. It earned the right of getting a sequel that fully realized its potential.

It was deeply flawed but still enjoyable, and Corpse Party is a series of shitty RPGMaker games

you mean where it threw all horror out the window and became a shitty RE4 remake that missed what made RE4 decent?

How are DreadOut games?

Kind of mediocre with huge design flaws like obtuse puzzles that don't work properly as intended due to bugs or glitches. It seems interesting on paper.

Anyone got any good space horror games that aren't Alien: Isolation?

Dead Space and Dead Space 2

Already played and loved them.

Well, she dies no matter what you do.

Space Beast Terror Fright

It's like that joke image where the screen is cluttered with shit.

It adds to the claustrophobia of the levels

do the enemies only come from certain directions though?

Chaos;Child just came out in English. It’s supposed to be spooky right? Sucks Chaos;Head is still Jap locked for anons who don’t know moon.

they come from everywhere

the floors, the ceilings, every door way and every wall?

That gun does not need to be that big, it covers up a quarter of the screen.
Also why does it have a rear fold up sight but no front sight?

Alien Isolation.

Observer is creepy as hell and don't fall for the walking-simulator meme, it opens up as the game goes on and has several endings.

First one is a budget copy of Fatal Frame. Keeper of the Dark is complete garbage with recycled levels and other bullshit. At least the original scratches your need for camera-based horror.

I honestly thought it was a solid 7/10 at least.

I'm looking forward to the rest of it and the sequel.

Too bad it's NISA localized.

Yeah, you can tell because they use "sis" where it should clearly be onee-chan.

You can tell because of their tumor of a logo on the box, but I guess that’d be obvious when their equally as cancerous parent is the one who made it.

It was fun but no v

But that's not English

What? I am 2 hours into it now and there is little that makes me turn it on again, the controls and visuals are shit, the "horror" is just loud noises and every trope ever and if you get actually an enemy instead of "2 deep 4 u" scenes you have "gameplay" that is outdone by Penumbra and more tellingly SOMA.

a true horror game.

DOOM 3 and it's expansion are legitimately great games. The flashlight was an excellent way to make you feel vulnerable in a game where you have rocket launchers, chainguns, BFGs and shit. I don't care that it lacks DOOM 2s lazy 50 enemies in one room design, everyone hated that game anyway yet DOOM 3 gets shit on for not emulating that garbage.

I was reminded of it as soon as I laid my eyes on that shit, before seeing your post. Seems to have been an inspiration.

A quick and dirty one in that vein is Irisu Syndrome. Don't google it, and go in blind. Your main concern is beating your high score, but pay careful attention. To the game files. It's not GOTY or anything, but you should find it interesting.

Download: mediafire.com/file/nlujzb91wjl0bu7/IrisuSyndromeENv2.03.zip

Duskers is ok

STOP

People shat on Doom 3 because it tried to woo people with graphics, while all other FPS that came out at that time had interactive physics, better controls and better character movements as features.
It basically ignored the whole decade of video game evolution that had taken place since the release of Doom 2 and they thought they could hide it by implementing the jumpscare flashlight.

Itou is cute!
CUTE!

I played it recently and even with the mood set for a slow-paced, horror-themed FPS I just found it okay. As far as atmosphere goes it works, but it's too bogged down by ''machinery you can interact with with your mouse OMG!!", unsatisfying weapons, obtuse level design, and enough audio logs to make system shock 2 look like doom 1.

This is how retarded you sound

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Nigger people complain about Doom 2's level design and the dominance of the super shotgun but to say that people hated the game is just pure retardation on your part.
That said, Doom 3 is ok. Despite it's many flaws it's still good for a playthrough or three, and mods allow it to be better in both gameplay and graphics than it was at release.

Since we're mentioning Doom, there's plenty of mods for Doom 2 that are spooky as hell.

You looked at that post, saw it called EW1 inconsistent and EW2 consistent, and decided to interpret it as varied/monotonous.
Evil Within 2 is a vast improvement and legit good, dude, how about we just agree on that ?

thats a big forehead

Fragile Dreams, though it's light on the horror aspect

What the fuck happened to her hairline?

The levels are RNG generated maze like rooms, they'll spawn from vents and shit all over the map.

Nani!?

do it

Turns out I was just a retard. I thought the link in was the game itself.

Did they ever end up translating the other corpse party games?

This has to be one of the best series on the PS2/PSP. I just got the two games from the new series so really looking forward to playing them.

I'm guessing you can read jap?

Actually, it turns out I was the retard who thought I was giving you a link to the game itself.

Game Download: ftp.vector.co.jp/50/43/3490/irisu203.zip

I always thought I was the only here who liked that game. Definitely isn't for everyone though.

For you

Thanks user. Grabbed it from there last night. I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing in the game though. Seeing items added to the game folder is nice but I'm not really grasping what's going on, probably because I'm shit at the puzzle aspect.

You have to git gud at the puzzle aspect to learn more, for reasons that won't be self-evident until you do so. The first significant event occurs at 20,000 points.

I don't even understand the puzzle to git gud at it kek.

Yeah it's actually kinda of hard I passed JLPT N2 and I still needed a dictionary and the net because there are a lot of scientific, forensic and occult/religion related vocabulary. It's really well written though and the graphics and music work perfectly with the story to make an intense atmosphere.

That being said I would love for people to try these games but judging from some of the NISA localizations that I've seen I wouldn't want to ruin them by changing too much. I translated a few scenarios for my old Japanese class as well as for an article I'm doing so maybe if I come across someone worth programming ability and interest we can do a translation.

I haven't seen a really great modern horror game recently though. The few ones I liked are only in Japanese and the rest were kind of mediocre.