Fun shit to do with a C64

Finally got around to getting a new tape deck, what's some of the must plays for the C64? Any mods for the computer that are decent? Modems, OS's, etc?

I will get a SD loader eventually, but since have at least 40 copied cassettes, may as well fuck with these to begin with.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Blue-OVP-64-Over-Voltage-Protector-for-the-Commodore-64/322841432528?hash=item4b2ad951d0:g:wRkAAOSwrQRZs7Wc
pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[]=Commodore 64&page=1
pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[0]=Commodore 64&page=1&order=thumbup
pouet.net/party.php?which=1526&when=2017
pouet.net/party.php?which=1816
pouet.net/party.php?which=50&when=2016
csdb.dk/
archive.is/lpo6D
web.archive.org/web/20120606052317/http://jeremyreimer.com/postman/node/329
c64-wiki.com/wiki/PET_64
realmsofquest.blogspot.com/
haddewig.de/nogames64/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_productivity_software
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulation_on_the_Amiga#MS-DOS_on_Amiga_via_Sidecar_or_Bridgeboard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One thing about those C64s, they came from an age where hardware was physically sturdy.

I'll blame OBS for that one.

That's an infinite loop, right? Won't it run out of memory eventually?

it's outputting to screen, not storing the string multiple times

The demoscene is magical.

That's cool, it just reminded me of the bash rabbit bomb so I thought of that.

more than we can imagine
proper technowizards

saved as C=1488.webm

Get an SD card 1541 replacement thing, and CHECK THE VOLTAGES ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY, THEN BUILD A NEW ONE ANYWAY. When they fail, they fail at the level that will fry your system more often than not.

F

NES has a couple of playable games like castlevania and mario while the rest of the games are shit. For C64 everything is shit. The shitty joysticks they tend to have don't ease the pain much either. Playing Gianna Sisters with a joystick just makes you want to kill yourself.

Games for C64 feel really experimental and are interesting in that way but they're still shit to play. Like I find the stacking screens in Batman The Caped Crusader really nice and it makes the game look really comic book'ish but the game itself is just horrible.

When you don't have an overlord of a corporation saying who can make games for a system, you do tend to get more chaff than wheat, but eh. On the joystick woes, use a Genesis controller. Anyone who wasn't a retard in the eighties and nineties tried to use Atari and Sega controllers with everything that they would plug into, and whaddya know? They work perfectly. Still, one button may as well be absolutely nuttin'.

Post your favorite Demoscene music, i kinda wanna just buy a C64 just to learn how to get into the demoscene.

Is the 64NIC+ worth picking up, or are there improved ones?

Found a surge protector for it, so that'll do for the time being.

Joysticks feel fine so far. Have a fuck ton laying around for Amiga and shit as well.

The problem is the power supply shitting itself and overvolting the console, not so much external surges.

Wrong choice of wording.
ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Blue-OVP-64-Over-Voltage-Protector-for-the-Commodore-64/322841432528?hash=item4b2ad951d0:g:wRkAAOSwrQRZs7Wc

C64 has a lot of demos and there's a ton of great SID music from the scene but I know little about it because I'm an Amiga Autist and never cared much about C64. I'd say just go to pouet.net and check for the highest rated C64 demos and try them out randomly.

Just poke around and see if you can make something happen. And obviously go to hvsc.c64.org and play some of the best tracker music with original hardware.
Tape decks. They just don't work (tm). Good times

(((good seller)))

Dead C64 owner here, this shit is why I finally bought a multimeter instead of playing fast and loose with old power supplies.

Play this masterpiece

You need a laser keyboard

Run some demos
pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[]=Commodore 64&page=1
pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[0]=Commodore 64&page=1&order=thumbup
pouet.net/party.php?which=1526&when=2017
pouet.net/party.php?which=1816
pouet.net/party.php?which=50&when=2016
^ You've got year selector at the top to display demo entries from different years
csdb.dk/
Enjoy user

How is this even possible?

You will be surprised how much you can get out of that 1mhz, 64kbyte ram machine

Check this, especially the part onward from 11:58, need to crank up volume for it

This shit is insane, to think that such a puny device can output this stuff.

This is the difference in quality of code produced between shit coders and gud coders, on all platforms, PC 64k demoscene produces impressive limit breaking shit as well.
Check Amstrad CPC 3D demo at 10:51 and Sega Megadrive Titan Overdrive 2 demo at 38:44 @ dis jewtube vid.

C64 games I had as a kid: Fort Apocalypse, Mail Order Monsters, BC Quest for Tires, Pole Position, Forbidden Forest

Wonder if its possible to use one of those car cassette things and then run bootleg programs.

Are there any all-in-one torrents for demoscene collections?

Play Heart of Africa. It's huge!

Anyone have any experience with the C64Net Wifi card?

Holy moly

Oh, the days before Electronic Arts became the shit show it is now. Late 40s fag here. I remember sitting in front of my C64 waiting forever for the games to load with the ECA loading screen with the gray background and watching it change colors, waiting for it to go berserk with the color changes signifying that the loading process was almost done…

That's better than most indie gamemaker turds can do nowadays.

40 year oldfag here who loved his C64. My recommended Must Play list off the top of my head:
I'd caution you that C64 games were way harder than modern games as only well-educated, successful white people could afford personal computers. So much so that I doubt you'll even make it off the boat in Swiss Family Robinson without a guide, which is pretty embarrassing as it's the tutorial.
If you're into vidya history, you might want to play Telengard also. You'll be surprised how modern the core mechanics are. It's essentially what you call a "roguelike" in 1982 and could probably be refreshed and sold today.

Oh, and I forgot,

Throw it out a window and buy a TI-99/4A.

Gariott plays the blame game. In projects Origin had full control over and infinite time they still fucked everything up, like Ultima Online.

Never played it. Looks more weird than fun. In that vein, I did play Ghettoblaster.

I guess things were different in 1985. It all went downhill once they threw the "C" out of the logo.

"About our company: We're an association of electronic artists who share a common goal. We want to fulfill the potential of personal computing. That's a tall order. But with enough imagination and enthusiasm we think there's a good chance for success. Our products, like this program, are evidence of our intent."

It sucks when the game companies of my youth like ECA and Activision still survive, but have become the leeches of the videogame industry, sucking players dry.

I'm happy at least Epyx didn't survive to become this, they're still golden in my memory like first place in Summer games.

1: UO turned out great for the time
2: U8 had a mere 3 months development time because EA just had to have something out for Christmas
3: U9 suffered ridiculously at the hands of the higher ups. It's fair to blame Ed Del Castillo for the ending (I had a chance to talk with him. According to him, he had only played up through U6 and didn't really get that the Guardian was an anthropomorphized EA) but when he left the project it still had party members. Toward the end he was pleading with the EA higherups to give the game another 2 years development time to get the kinks out of the early 3D engine

I suppose there's no accounting for where Wing Commander went though

UO only turned out great by mistake. Absolutely everything that worked in that game was not by design. Entire systems were actually just bugs, like "rares". And at a tech level the whole thing barely ran and would delete several hours of gameplay every single day. Entire months went by on some shards where the game would fail to save anything.
Gariott is a credit thief and plays the blame game much like Molyneux.

Man, I was like 13 or 14 when that came out. I remember getting a copy from my friend around the corner from my house. Back then there was no internet or anything so you'd copy these weird games with no manual.

I spent hours wandering around that game because I'd get lost all the time and never find my way back to interdisc. I didn't even know what was the real point of the game - I used to just collect tapes and listen to the songs, which in all honesty, at the time was a big enough innovation to hold my interest. That there was a collection of songs and you could choose to listen to them if you got the tapes. I thought that was the coolest. I never had so much fun not having any idea what to do.

This applies to most video game 'celebrities' really.

Yeah, I had little idea on that one, too. Mine had a cracktro which I was really impressed with though.

Sadly, it does seem to be the path to success. Example: everyone knows Elon Musk from SpaceX, but who knows the lead engineer?

It's literally one of the only ways to be successful in a kike-run society. You don't know how many men these parasites have stomped on. Fuck em.

Remember goyim, C64 is for the masses, not the classes.

Was he a real jew tho? Other jews kicked him out from Commodore after all.
Stupid kikes, you were supposed to cooperate together to destroy us goyim, not fight each other over shekels!

Tramiel was a retarded kike who had no fucking idea what he even had. He started making computers because some engineers told him he should instead of going into calculators which was his original plan. The C64 had superior sound and graphical capabilities compared to the IBM PC while being significantly cheaper do to Commodore owning their chip source. But Tramiel, like all kikes, only saw things from a business perspective, he was disconnected from the actual PC userbase, he probably never even knew how to use computers. And by the time he decided to get off his ass and move his company along it was already too late.

The only good thing he did was Jewing Bill Gates out of a potentially costly licensing deal with Microsoft BASIC. The entirety of the Home Computer market would've been very different otherwise

Super kike. Was is the hall of costs.

The problem was that sound & graphics were not what the PC market wanted at that time, so the C64 and Amiga were of no value to the kikes. I also had an IBM XT with a 20MiB HD and it was incredibly shit but could run all sorts of things like.. I forget what I used back then, wordstar and dBase? Jesus that was a long time ago. But they were actually useful to businesses who were the ones buying all the computers.

Explain then why C64 was best selling computer of all time, with production that lasted 12 years, waaaay past the date it became obsolete.
Amigas sold good as well, but not in USA, because american Commodore International HQ was retarded, Amigas sold like hot cakes in europe, so well that when Commodore International went bankrupt the britbong Commodore UK division wanted to buy them out but they got jewed out of the deal by german kikes from ESCOM at the last second

Maybe contracts with the educational market, I know my grade school at the time still had a few chugging along even when they started to buy IBM clone PCs. It was almost bizarre how long the C64 was around in retail shelves even after it clearly became obsolete.

That's going to be a funny definition of "of all time" seeing how many PCs exist today.

Nope, CBM had C64 rebrand called PET 64 for edu market only, it's sales were not included nor combined within C64 official sales numbers.
The reason is quite different, because C64 had huge early adoption it did cement it's software base, and since there was no real backward compatible successor [C128 was rubbish, C65 didn't happen, Amiga didn't support C64 software despite that they could technically write emulator for it, as they did with DOS emu].
That was the factor that drove C64 sales into eternity.

It is the actual definition, sales of the exact model of one brand. You don't buy a prebuilt "modern x86 PC" off one and the only company. The closest one to take on C64 sales status is… Raspberry Pi archive.is/lpo6D
…but they inflate their numbers by combining all Pi models sales together, you don't combine sales of VIC-20, C16, C16+4, C64, C128, C-MAX, so I wouldn't take Raspberry Pi Foundation claim seriously. especially when they took on the lowest confirmable number of C64 sales, thats 12.5 millions, with highest confirmable being 17 millions [and between 22~30 millions as unconfirmable sales numbers].
web.archive.org/web/20120606052317/http://jeremyreimer.com/postman/node/329

Hmm, I think the gradeschool I went had both the monochrome display PET and the C64 where it was separate monitor and keyboard and floppy drive. No one really used the monochrome PET at the school, not even the teachers and not all the kids back then was into tech. And the ones that were, we were more interested in the IBM clones or C64 gaming during breaks.

Original PET and PET 64 are completely different machines, one is rebranded C64 and one is not.
PET 64 was basically C64 with integrated monitor unibody for education market.
c64-wiki.com/wiki/PET_64

checked
Well sheeeit, I had never seen that unibody model. All the C64s I've seen in my area was usually some variation of the non unibody ones.

It's a pretty autistic definition since it didn't matter to anyone but you if sales were of an "exact model of one brand" or not. What mattered was an avalanche of PCs being bought by businesses and their employees because of their business utility sealed the fate of any non-PC architecture in the marketplace. The C64 was so tiny in comparison it was like it never existed.

Just to add, a graph from your own link. Great sound and graphics didn't matter. They weren't what the market wanted.

Amiga didn't succeed because of Commodore failure in marketing it at North America, and lack of investment in developing software for the launch/lack of "Amiga+Games+Productivity Programs" 2in1/3in1 packs, that were proven to be successful strategy for Commodore UK and DE divisions.
Don't believe me? Get NTSC Amiga and see how little compatible games/software you have since almost everything written for them was for PAL Amiga models.

If you had VIC-20 you could play these games.

realmsofquest.blogspot.com/

Guy is still working on them and had made some really awesome stuff.

You don't seem to understand. Games and "packs" didn't fucking matter, people wanted compatibility with the IBM software their business was running, especially since businesses would often chip in for the very expensive home PCs. C64/Amiga focused instead on the type of consumer we have today that just wants to screw around with a computer. Problem was, there weren't many of them back then, so the better sound and graphics didn't matter at all. Monochrome and a beep that could load their work database and their techs could code for blew them away.

That's just your opinion man
haddewig.de/nogames64/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_productivity_software
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulation_on_the_Amiga#MS-DOS_on_Amiga_via_Sidecar_or_Bridgeboard [presented at Amiga's launch]
C64 was a commercial success but lacked proper successor.
Amiga was failure in USA but enough successful in Europe, that is, again, due to USA Commodore International being fucktards, that lead them to bankruptcy. If you want your platform to sell you need a good promotion for it, and USA Commodore lacked it, at all, they failed to explain their potential customers what this computer was good for.
Proof of it is you thinking it's grafix musix visuals n shieeet-only machine that didn't have any software for business purposes. On top of it they were screwing up their own distributors/business partners in USA, like dumb jews they were. If you want to experience some head lobotomy you can read up on their commercially suicidal bullshit.

Imagine if developers worked as hard in coding and improving their skills as they did for using better tech. We would be so much further along now.

If only devs were as dedicated as the coders, graphicians and musicians of the demoscene. Maybe videogames wouldn't be as shit.

That's what I was trying to say. Thanks user.

Didn't Nintendo copied/stole the CPU or whatever from the C64?

Fuck it, since it's the same company still. Are there any additions to the Amiga 500+ that allow it to do fuck all else than just games nowadays? Any way to use Sidecar or so on it, or other upgrades to allow for basic web browsing or shit?

Or is it easier just getting a 1200 and saying fuck it?

My memory's a bit fuzzy on the details, but I remember that a Commodore subsidiary bought the company producing the chip, who provided a license to produce it or some derivatives on the design, who in turn supplied Nintendo.
The 6502 and its kin were very widespread and used in a large variety of systems and I'm guessing there was some legal knotwork involved that kept Commodore from shutting the door on Nintendo.
In any case, the design itself was very common back in the day and found itself in a lot of different systems.

I didn't have many must plays for the C64 in my own roms collection, because the definitive Version of everything was on the Amiga. Besides these, some good ones on top of my head are Turrican1 and 2, Wizball, Ultima IV, Defender of the Crown, Giana Sisters, R-Type and International Karate.

Check if Vampire 2 accelerator board is compatible for it, A600 got it