Fate of Gameboy/DS

Is Nintendo not going to make another genuinely portable machine again. The Switch isnt exactly portable anywhere and everywhere and suffers from being able to break extremely easy. 3DS clamshell design was perfect and fit right in your pocket or a small bag pocket, without worry of the screen or buttons breaking. On top of that it had some of my favorite JRPGs and the games only had an original MSRP of $40.

You think Nintendo is going to make another "Gameboy" or can we say goodbye to two screens forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games
support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802167?hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Portable consoles are pointless, why not just make a mobile game?

Because 'mobile' games are complete shit.

they'll probably have to because the switch is a bit too big to be a portable and Sony or a different company will be able to take some of the vacuum that will arise.

Unless full button schemes come back to phones you will never see me playing a game on a phone. On top of that "mobile" games are fucking trash because they appeal to normalfags because of short bursts of success design to all their games.

Does't the Switch technically fill that vacuum? I know people that have never used the dock and only play it portable.

The cost, size and small library doesn't make it fill the entire handheld void, especially when the games selling on it sell for full console price.
Plus its sales are pretty low if it expects to be both a console and a handheld.

sauce

Also
kek

But it's okay when Sony does it.

There’s already an EO thread asking these same questions, user.

Why do people care so much about BC? If you've got the old games themselves, then you still have the old console right? If you want to play old games play it on the console it was meant for.

Wait, don't tell me… you didn't… trade in the old one? To help pay for the new one? You fucking good goy poorfag?

Sony hasn't innovated in 2 generations and they've basically lost the handheld market
Sonyggers are just as bad as nintendrones. I personally hope a new player entirely besides Microsoft enters the handhelds. Ideally Sega but I'd be happy with almost anyone.

Sony lost too much on the Vita to ever make another portable console.

Opposed to that… 3 hour battery life of the 3DS and Vita?

It's about as big as one of the larger sized phones people use for work.

I was always a handheld + PC guy. Sad to see handhelds die. Hopefully they stop fucking around with the Switch and start porting over all the Wii U games nobody got to play and we start to see sequels to 3DS games on the thing. So far it isn't worth owning anymore than a Wii U or Wii was.

A shame the Switch has such garbage battery life or it could have been an awesome handheld.

Who the fuck has room for 34543543646 different consoles, their accessories and games? You need to cut down somewhere. Having a console that can utilize multiple game libraries is nice. That's why the old grill PS3 is one of the few home consoles I own right now.

They'll push it hard, under the belief everyone will use their product in public. Truth is, the older generation plays it only at home, and the younger uses iPhones or iPads (which then gives them the internet as a whole). And public interaction games are dying since no one interacts with anyone if they can help it (outside of a con) and if you want to meet someone for those features, you'll find a forum for it or just use it's online features which do the same.
We'll see the "death" of handheld gaming for a while, or the consoles becoming more "portable".
PSVita still does well in Japan (somehow), so handheld gaming in the west might live via some very dedicated fans of Vita titles, but even then the small market size means it'll only be hardcore weeb titles from Japan.

Any chance for 3rd party battery packs that trick the system into thinking it's being charged?
Or because it charges when docked- does that make it try to output to a non-existant TV?

My XL gets about 5-6 hours on a full charge usually.

More like why is it a problem now when it wasn't before?

The Switch IS a handheld, after all

Because it would be gachashit game and infested with ads.

Probably not.

It's also reason why emulation exist.

The battery on the Switch is largely dependant on the games it runs on. 3 hours on Zelda at max brightness, Wifi and rumble on, around four if you turn the brightness down a bit and disable rumble. Haven't tried with Airplane mode but I'm sure you'll gain at least 20 minutes of play.

Other games are more power-efficient. I've gotten at least 5 to 6 hours on Sonic Mania with mid-brightness. Mario Odyssey lasts around 4 hours at max apparently but I haven't tried it myself.

3 hours of battery is the absolute worst case scenario for the console. Not quite acceptable, but you can work with it.

Even better, Switch uses USB-C so you can use any battery pack provided it outputs the right voltage to charge it on the go. No need to pay out the ass for overpriced Nyko/Hori accesories.

I expect a mini-Switch unit to be announced within a couple of years to fill the void. Not sure how Nintendo will get around the fragmentation issue if they don't have removable joycons though. Maybe they will have to make a Joycon S line of teeny tiny removable controllers instead of leaving them bolted on to the system.
Or a tiny Switch that's just a phone size version, basically, and with a Joycon grip + phone grip attachment where you dock it in when playing portable.

The battery life is shit, but you can get one of those external USB battery packs to charge it on the go. It's not a perfect solution, and it is fucking stupid that you can't replace the battery with a better one, but it's better than nothing.
There are some third-party cases that have battery packs built in too.
I don't understand people saying it's not portable. It doesn't fit in a pocket, but that doesn't mean it's not portable. A laptop is "portable" despite not fitting in a pocket. I understand if that makes it inconvenient or kills it for you, but you can't just redefine a word like that. "Portable" doesn't mean "fits in my pocket", it just means that it's made to be carried around and used anywhere, and the word says nothing about quality either way. The Switch is portable; whether it's good or convenient is a different discussion.

You can charge it while you're using it, but it won't run in full power mode unless it's outputting to a TV and being charged. If you're charging it while using it in handheld mode, it still runs at the handheld CPU clock, unfortunately.

I can fit the switch in my pocket, just take the controllers off. Besides, how often do you really bring the thing on the go anyway. I can only think of when you go to a friends house, oh wait online. Well I guess there are still those LAN parties but if you're going to one of those Im pretty sure you can just hold it since if you are you'll want to bring the dock as well so that you can play it for long periods of time. The only time i've had a need for the switch is when I fly over to Korea and thats it. Any other time a portable is not really that necessary and is just a gimmick that kids will want so that they can play them during class.

2 screens is also a pointless gimick, but it did save space on the handheld, its pointless on anything else.

The only time I've brought my Switch out is when I had to do registration for a new car, and knew I'd be waiting at the DMV for hours. I do use it in handheld mode all the time though, when one of my kids wants to watch something on the TV.
It being a gimmick or not shouldn't have any bearing, though. If it's a supported feature and it's done badly, it should be criticized. I think it's executed fine, but "it's not important because I don't use it" is fucking stupid.

It was a problem, the fact that they haven't fixed it yet is retarded.

user, I sincerely hope you weren't serious. I was hoping this place lost most of its Nintendrones after Breath of the Skyrim and the Am2R shutdown.
Do you honestly consider 'online' to be an actual substitute for going to a friend's house? Do you value your time with them that little?
And your first statement… doesn't lacking controllers make carrying the whole goddamn thing around in the first place pointless?
At this point it would've been better if they just made a "Switch case" similar to a laptop case and just made the screen bigger.

Fucking faggot.

I think he meant taking them off and carrying them in a different pocket. At that rate, you're really better off with just a messenger bag or something.

I move around constantly so its not like I can go to there hhouse and have a bear fucking accross the sea. Maybe if I'm close by I will, but honestly if I'm at a friends house we're not going to play on the switch. We will most likely play the PS2 or OG Xbox.

I was just stating my opinion. Im not denying that other people im sure use it. I've just not seen how and wanted to know how others utilize the feature.

Have you never played an RPG or dungeon crawler on the DS/3DS?

Portables are the last bastion of actual creativity in dedicated game systems. When they stop being made it really will be over. Nothing but mobage and AAA multiplatform trash from there on out. I want to hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to abandon the market they've dominated for a quarter century, but their attempt to consolidate hardware by making the Switch the worst of home and portable in one is not encouraging. They paid lip service to the portable market saying the Switch isn't the 3DS successor, but it's telling that several very high profile portable series, both first and third party, are going to the Switch.
Sony isn't interested since the Vita flopped hard outside Japan, and no one else is going to challenge Nintendo as long as the Switch is """portable."""
I wish Sega could save us.

It sounded like you were just arguing against the concept of portable consoles in general. Plenty of people have to take public transit a lot, which is a good use. I know people who take the bus to and from work every day, and it can also be useful for lunch breaks when you get more time than you really need to eat and don't feel like working for free by cutting your lunch short. I know people who fly a lot for work too (at least 5 hours a week on a plane).
The portable mode does allow some unique playstyles too, like Pac Man Vs (which would be worth it if Namco Museum wasn't thirty fucking US dollars), but nothing else has really used the LAN play in a unique and interesting way (and even that is just rehashing what was done like 15 years ago at a retarded price tag). If that SFANS adapter (or some other third-party one) takes off, it'll be far better for LAN play too. Just take it somewhere, jack it into any TV, and you're ready to go.

Pretty much think of any reason somebody would use a portable console, and that also applies to the Switch when used in handheld mode.

Nigger nothing has an ample library in it's first year. Not even the DS had so many games in it's first year that you absolutely HAD to buy one.

Vita sells in Japan purely on VN garbage. It's a dumping ground for VNs and that's the only reason why it's still going at all. Vita survives on beta cucks looking for shitty fapping material.

Nigger the Switch isn't backwards compatible with anything, it costs 300 and it has a smaller library. user was asking if the Switch will lead to handheld death and I don't think so because it will have a small library, likely for the next year and a half to 2 years.

It does have about 200 games out now. They aren't all good, but at least 15 of them are very good and worth having. The Switch has had the steadiest flow of decent content I've ever seen for a game system, other than maybe the DS.

Excluding multiplats what are they and what are their prices?

The problem with discussing the Switch on Holla Forums is that it does have games and has a fair number of good games. But Holla Forums will always discredit multiplatform titles especially if available on PC(Like Doom, LA Noire, Cave Story, etc).
They are failing to see that they're missing the point(The point being that Switch lets you play these games without being tethered to your desk). You'll get those faggots and the "exclusives are the cancer killing this industry" faggots both sperging out and then discussion collapses.
Anons hating on exclusivity are right though. But when coupled with faggots discrediting multiplatform titles all they do is hinder discussion.
And like fucking clockwork

If the majority of your value proposition is ports of old multiplatform titles, your console has very little value, especially to the majority of Holla Forums who game on PC. If you actually believe that having the 20th release of Skyrim is a selling point rather than obvious Jewry because "you can play it on the toilet now goy!", you should hang yourself.

I'm not playing this game again. I've played "You list off good games so I can say they're not good or otherwise say they don't count until you get bored and I declare that I win" too many times.
I also don't see the point in excluding multiplats. If a system has a good game it has a good game. You shouldn't get too absorbed in the fact that other people who haven't bought the same thing that you did can also enjoy it.

If you really want a list of exclusives, go to the Wikipedia page and hit the "Exclusive" column: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

Alright, listen here. The point I'm trying to communicate to you isn't that everyone should be happy about year(s) old games being ported to a handheld. The thing is that even when it starts to get simultaneous releases of multiplatform games you're still gonna get the same retards thinking the portability factor doesn't matter because there is a PC version.
The problem is that even if every major release had a Switch version you'd still get the same bunch of retards discrediting it as a part of the Switch's library because PC/PS4 version. Retards who pretend like portability isn't a valid selling point just so they can continue spouting their insipid "NO GAEMS XD" meme.

I use a DS lite
it plays gba games
it has a card loaded with snes roms
it can also play ds roms
I would buy a 3ds if it can be made to play n64 roms

I agree that this is a problem to an extent, but the fact of the matter is, the majority of this board is primarily PC gamers. That's the platform they're most familiar with, and the platform they use the most often. If a game releases on both the PC and Switch, why would they buy the game twice? Why wouldn't they just buy the game on the system they prefer? And when you further consider that Microsoft bends over backwards for backwards compatibility, while Nintendo threw backwards compatibility out the window with the Switch, the choice to go with the platform that won't turn your purchase obsolete becomes obvious. This goes double for games like DOOM that are performance-intensive, use high-fidelity graphics, and/or are FPS games, where the PC/K&M is obviously superior (compare e.g. 2d platformers/twinsticks like Axiom Verge or BoI: Afterbirth, or cartoonish 3D games like Snake Pass).
Now once you've basically eliminated 90% of the library as being an inferior product to the PC version, your value proposition becomes the exclusives (or at least, games unreleased on PC, of which most are exclusives). There's some merit to talking about portability and the Joycons too, but for most people here those are secondary details to the games themselves.
tl;dr The reason people spout the NO GAEMS XD meme is not because there are literally no games, but because there are no games they would be willing to buy on the Switch.
I'll probably end up buying the thing for the new Pokemon, but I really don't want to because paying for online is the devil.

user if you give up preemptively you lose by default. All I did was ask for proof of your claims.
More importantly, I feel its fine to criticize multiplats if they're inferior, and Ninty refuses to give backwards compatibility. If they had BC with a single fucking platform I'd be willing to forgive them, but I'll scrutinize multiplats especially harshly from Nintendo if they're unwilling to do this.

If its objectively better on another platform, it shouldn't count towards the Switch's benefit unless the benefit for portability is so great that its worth considering. For something like Hollow Knight it might be able to get away with it because its a game that would be very nice to play on a portable platform.

There's a lot of N64 remasters on the 3DS you can get from the freeshop; not the same I know but if you're emulating its also not the same either tbh

Literally kill yourself.

I don't care if you love cute, sexy 2D lesbians and delicious 2D brown. Your sheer faggotry and retardation must be purged.

I bet you have shit opinions.

Here's a stupid crazy idea. What if we try pooling together autism and autismbux to make our own gloriously unlicensed and unregulated handheld?

Anons already make little projects from time to time. Why not try and make something that more than says "Fuck you" to AAAshit and consoles in general? We already know mobileshit isn't an option for playing anything serious.

As soon as money starts getting involved, so too do the scams
It'd be nice but we've been burned by cucks on just regular games alone, like Yandev and mongirl island dev
Imagine the risk that would come with a handheld, and more importantly, what would be the point of such a handheld if nobody develops games for it, outside of maybe /adgd/ if we beg them to?

Your opinion is literally beneath mine.

You've just proven how much even more of a raging faggot you are.

If it was such a problem the 3DS wouldn't be the best selling console this gen.
The Switch CAN and WILL replace traditional handhelds. Get over it.

Cobbled together emulator machines running GNU+Linux has been around for years now. The pyra looks neat.

it's over

I think you fags missed his point completely:
Why make another handheld console when every fag and their mom has a smart device that is easy to develop for and rakes in more money than developing hardware to sell and software to sell? You all know Nintendo is already going down that path that every other developer has practically already gone down. Why deny it?

Says the manchild who plays nintendo games in public and faps to niggers.

Go back to drinking semitic semen or whatever it is you do when you're not fagging up Holla Forums.

When will you retards be gassed?

Please kill yourselves.

Tanned is the same thing as a nigger you fucking cucks, kill yourself

Shut the fuck up and guzzle some antifreeze.

Guzzle down a shotgun and kill yourself, nigger loving cuck

Chips are only cost-effective to manufacture when there is a large and sustained demand for them. Even then, the vast majority of chips on a new die are going to have defects (case-in-point: the NVIDIA 970 were just defective 980s that they sold at a lower price point because they were still mostly functional except for 0.5GB of VRAM). If you want the per-unit manufacturing cost to be ~$300 to compare with the Switch, you're probably going to end up spending at least $150 on the CPU and GPU alone, and probably closer to $200. Even then, if you want it to be a handheld, your setup is going to be throttled into the ground because high-end cards have ridiculous power consumption and emit tons of heat that you don't have space to add cooling to handle.
And that's only one direction where you'll inevitably fail to make something decent. I could think of 10 more ways such an initiative could screw up and kill the entire damn thing, but an idea so stupid doesn't deserve that kind of writeup.

NO U

The switch doesn't even have a function to message friends, what the fuck makes you think they'd even begin to consider attempting to sort the battery out?

I remember a time when handheld consoles was for kids hence a reasonable price that the average family could afford having the kid running around with the thing not worrying about the kid breaking it.

You have it backwards. The Switch is their new portable machine. The real question is if they're ever going to make a console again.

Time to die lads.

Couldn't we try shoving something strong enough to run at least GBA to DS level emulation into a stupid looking amateur tablet with buttons and try basically making romhacks from the ground up that are actual games?

I know I'd need something beefy to make a good 60fps 3D game, but what about much weaker graphics and processing like the best and most simple handhelds?

Okay, then why isn't there more of a community effort around this kind of thing if anons are willing to spend on retarded shit like Kickstarter they're not even involved with?

I'd much rather try working with anons to make something, the ones that actual understand what they want and are trying to make.

No, the retarded faggot edgily called portables entirely pointless then went on to spew retarded false flag tier shit.

There's already 2 ways we've seen an obnoxious lack of credibility whatsoever.

user even the cheapest smartphones can do that with no problems, my 60$ smartphone from over 4 years ago can emulate GBA and DS games fine

I don't know what I'm asking, I just want good anons to fucking work together to solve our deficiencies.

That was known as the NVIDIA Shield, and it flopped pretty hard. The Switch is essentially the NVIDIA Shield 2.
Then why would you use it? What advantage does this hypothetical product have over the Switch or phones, considering that homebrew and rooting/jailbreaking/emulation exist?
Also:

Reddit, is that you?

Don't try and force presumptuous bullshit like that bottom part into my mouth. I single reply a lot and I just space because it looks right. I've never had anything to do with leddit.

Seriously, what do you actually want out of this portable dream machine? If you just want battery life, there are plenty of phones with emulators that could provide that without requiring building a supply chain and designing a new system.
I was pretty sure you weren't a ledditor, but I would appreciate if you'd stop the triple-posting and put more than one sentence in a paragraph. It kills the thread faster when you do that.

Ew.

The last bastion of good video games falls. There's no use crying about it or dreaming about some heroic comeback. All you can do is accept it.

It's because touch controls are fucking uncomfortable imprecise dogshit that also hover half your goddamn screen
Touchscreens were a mistake that needs to be rectified with nuclear fire

How the fuck did i mistype cover
Smartphones were a mistake

Yeah, I'm really going to miss those tiny screens and underpowered hardware. Not to mention the compromised, hand cramp-inducing controls due to the clamshell design.
Let's just forget that BotW and Odyssey are the two top contenders for GOTY and are on the same system.

Portable gaming is dead, guys!

As an owner of both hacked New 3DS XL and a FAT Vita, I fear for AA gaming now that handhelds are dying. Even if Sony actually pulls a PSVita 2, they still need to get their head out of their asses and stop with the propietary memory card bullshit. I just need a handheld that has full range of buttons, it's confortable to hold, and has decent battery life. Even specs aren't that much of an issue, as the Vita was quite capable on it's own.

Try holding that shit in your hands for extended periods of time you asshole. My friend got it and holding that abortion in my hands was really fucking uncomfortable.

Swords are portable, doesn't mean they fill the same niche pocket knifes do.

When I got odyssey I played it in portable mode until my battery died and it felt fine. Git gud at having hands, faggot.

I do. Regularly.
The corners and shoulder buttons are far more rounded, making it much easier to hold for extended periods. It's a lot like the Vita so while it's not perfect, it's still much better than the hand-rapingly dreadful ergonomics of any of the DS systems. Excluding the original Phat.

Yes, they have openly said that the Switch is NOT the successor to the 3DS. They will make a proper thing to be the next Nintendo Portable Console.

They said the same thing about the DS and the Gameboy, retard.

But the next Pokemon game will come out on the Switch. That means the Switch is the next-gen portable Nintendo console.

I'll believe it when I see it. The 3DS is at the end of its lifespan and they're not gonna have two portables with different game libraries going at once. There will just be Switch revisions.

When I said I don't know what I'm asking, I wasn't saying I want someone to do all the work for me, I was saying I literally don't know what I need to somehow make to fill the comfy, portable niche and diversity of handhelds and not fucking overheat constantly and it pisses me off.

Ignorance isn't retardation.

The only games for mobile are emulators for portable consoles, gachashit and old mobile phone games which didn't changed since Nokia brick.
Also don't forget about little problem called compatibility.
Why make it possible for ~1000 smartphones, when you can just make it possible for 1.

Now you're just being retarded.

No you don't understand. It wasn't the last bastion BECAUSE it was a handheld. It simply was the last bastion. The last hold out after all other hold outs fell to the hordes. The games weren't good because it was a handheld, they were good because the horde just hasn't fucking gotten around to it yet.

No, they were good because they couldn't try to imitate shitty movies and had to actually focus on being good games in order to get attention and sell.

You are cancer.

Meanwhile this asshole that you've not turned on in years is still holding a charge.

I don't know what the hall happened to Nintendo's hardware team but whatever it was, was a mistake.

jesus fucking christ this is like sonyfags defending PSN+

I’d imagine increased power consumption due to better specs

Except the app market place sucks and the average expected price is zero. Seriously, if Valve made an app store, it would be less shit. However, I doubt Apple would let them.

This.
The improvement that can be made in battery technology is incredibly small while most specs for systems even nowadays are still improving rapidly. One simple outpaces the other.

this

Seconded. Mobile game consoles were good because they couldn't even attempt to be movies.

It also helped that they were all Nintendo consoles as well, considering that they don't really care about being cinematic over gameplay, and when they do it almost always goes badly for them financially.

I own one of the things and I can tell you easily that it's only painful in your hands if those "extended periods of time" are 5+ hours. If you're playing video games for longer than 5 hours at a time without special ocassion, then controller ergonomics is probably the least of your problems.

Kill yourself

Once the 3DS is fully done I bet Nintendo will release a more portable focused and cheaper switch variant for children. They've already started right now the 3DS is their entry level product. This stitch variation will probably release alongside a more powerful switch similar to the current one. Like the new 3DS.

I hope so. it'd be nice to get a Nintendo console with some actual power.

Man I found my original GBA SP that was in a box since 2010 the battery still went 3 hours before I had to charge it.

The Joycons are already tiny enough, there would practically be no point. They'd probably would just sell it like the original 2DS. Just all one plank. Honestly, knowing Nintendo, I wouldn't doubt it if they DO make a Mini-Switch, with its own line of Mini-Switch only games.

It's a shame too since the Wii U could've continued this, but now it's dead in the water due to how Nintendo handled the Wii U.

Etrian Odyssey is confirmed to have one final game on the 3DS before ending, and I imagine Kirby Canvas Curse games are out of the question. It's really sad, has there been instances of this before where a console created unique gameplay options that weren't carried on, killing any series that built itself around them?

Research on the matter shows that technical constraints actually lead to more creativity, not less. An artist or engineer is going to produce what he wants no matter what tools he has at his disposal, but having shitty tools will lead to him more thoroughly evaluating what and how, rather than just jumping to the first thing that he thinks of as "cool" and churning it out mechanically. This is likely because the technical constraints require you to stay in a creative mindset in order to be able to use them at all.

This shows strongly in modern video games. Game development has literally never been easier, yet there's more generic games than ever before. You have endless hordes of kids making games, easily, that are the exact same "cool" that inspired them to make games in the first place, rather than the "cool" as expressed by autistic engineers and computer scientists from the 80s who were inspired by all kinds of things that weren't video games, and the result is that there are more games that are homogeneously inspired and unbearably the same. There are technically less games that are outright shit, but they all blur together so much that it doesn't matter.

tl;dr, "MUH 80s/90s GAMES" were interesting partly because of technical constraints, not in spite of them. It was the sweetspot meeting point of technical aptitude requirements being high, despite the technology being relatively powerful, and devs truly enjoying what they did and experimenting with it.

Good riddance, to be honest. I never take my consoles out of the home. A handheld game is just a game I have to play on a shitty tiny screen.

Agreed, I feel like a manchild playing video games in public.

Do you also feel like a Basic when you pretend to be doing something on your phone to kill time?

ditto for handhelds, but playing emulators on smartphone is just normal, i just wish there existed and android gamepad that didn't suck for when i can take it out and play without fucking everything up, i ve had 3 different ones and i resold them because the dpad is always shit tier, and they are on the upper price tier, i rather not try my luck with the $20 tier ones

Their president just hinted that there will be more ways to enjoy switch. I think it will be a handheld version of switch.

user please

With wifi on and brightness nearly set to max, the Vita still lasts longer than 4 hours. And that's just the 1000 version. The 2000 version can go above 6 hours while downloading games and playing some. If you were to cut the brightness down and play with no sound on airplane mode, you could go above 7 hours. Why is it people who use ellipses like that never actually know what they're talking about?

Because it was the only way for many to play Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and some of the newer Zelda games. Those alone are system sellers. The 3DS doesn't even have a high install base because it's not even that good and besides those system sellers there's not much else.

It can when you refuse to make other handhelds and force the system sellers to the Switch. The Vita is nearly better in every way as a handheld. The Switch only has a slightly larger PPI than the Vita, otherwise it's completely inferior until it gets a ton of games. Even then it's still too massive and the battery life is trash. It's a "handheld" that's really only good inside your home. Don't expect to constantly play it on a long plane/train ride.

Handheld provide that nice area of creative freedom combined with the expectation that you're more likely going to get something niche that you usually won't see on consoles and maybe PC. The PS4's library was mainly ported Vita games for the longest and that's why there's so much more variety than usual. Saying that, unless it's PC, we barely get any dungeon crawlers. They're non existent on consoles (besides the Demon Gaze 2 port) and are great for handhelds since they don't rely much on graphics.

It was bound to happen eventually…

Never understood this. Especially now of all times. Nearly everyone is doing something on their phone when waiting for something. Many realize video games are socially acceptable now and everyone and their moms have played something like Angry Birds or Candy Crush. However, a device dedicated to playing games is socially unacceptable.

Why is this? Are playing games something shameful that you need to hide it? Is it the thought that people who can't wait till they're home to play games are simply "addicts"? Or is it the thought that you could be doing something better with your time, like talking to the guy next to you? No one will bat an eye if you're on your phone playing games but using a device made for playing games makes you cringe? What do you guys see that's so bad about playing games in public?

it's because I can't let people see me playing Animal Crossing user, jesus christ they'd think I was a pansy.

N
D
E
R
P
O
W
E
R
E
D
H
A
R
D
W
A
R
E

Friendly reminder that a tegra chip is pretty much what was used in the Ouja.

How so? Because you're not playing a game where you're murdering someone? Or do you think it would be more acceptable to play a game where you're dating girls because that's something a straight male would do right? I don't see why anyone would give a shit and some might actually think what you're playing looked interesting.

I've played Senran Kagura in public before but usually have my back to a wall just so children won't see. If someone asks what I'm playing I just show them. Many thought it looked fun. What guy doesn't want to see a woman beat the shit out of another woman to the point of her clothes being torn off? Some would think playing something like that is shameful but it's more how you react to it. If someone asked me what I was playing and acted like I was guilty of something, then people would think I was watching porn in public or something. But having a natural reaction as if you're playing any other game would make someone think it wasn't that bad. Though you may get someone petty who thinks you have no shame for playing something like that but I don't think anyone would want to make friends with someone like that anyway.

POST YFW WHEN U DIDNT FALL FOR NINTENDO MEME

Is that a blue-eyed, black viking?

I believe we call these a blacking

That actually exists
Capcha: sinrer

They don't use gerund form anymore these days, they just say "blacked."

Having two fucking screens didn't help either. The biggest single draw has always the screen.

support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802167?hl=en

That would mean whoever reviewed that video actually found the content erotic themselves. How deep does this rabbit hole go?

The 3DS' specs are much lower than smartphones that are both smaller and last far longer playing demanding 3D games. The 3DS' battery will even drain at an alarming rate in sleep-mode with wireless off.

I really don't like portable consoles tbh. I'm always happy when emulators are able to play their games so I can play them on a big screen with a controller. Still no easy solution for stylus DS games like Twewy though, that was a good portable game.

I got the point exactly. Because then every game will be mind numbing dog shit made to pander to every fag and his mom with a smart device. It's good from a business perspective, maybe. But from a true gamer's perspective, it's the ultimate heresy.

It's not. Quentin is just a massive faggot.

Your solution is a $500 art tablet… Are you literally retarded?

The Switch is technically portable though
It's a confused bugger and in all honesty I'd say we're not going to see any more Nintendo home systems with more certainty than Nintendo handheld as the Switch is a confused bastard

I agree that I don't feel comfortable by sticking a Tablet in my pocket.
Meanwhile, even the biggest DS (the regular XL 3DS, I guess) has proper dimensions to fit in a regular jeans pocket. And when falling to the ground, at most it will get some scratches while the tablet will be obliterated.

Apart from that issue, which can be solved through cases, there is no reason to continue the portable line. The smartest course of action (and the most viable one) is converging the portables and home consoles with the switch. This goes along their Blue Ocean philosophy and avoids doing weird stuff like "New Smash Brothers for the 3DS/WiiU", which was an obvious nod into the convergence.

Also, daily reminder that when the original Nintendo DS was announed, Nintendo said that this was a completely different product line in comparison to the Gameboy Advance, and that Nintendo would keep three company lines. Lies.

say good bye to genuine handhelds this is the future nintendo fans chose.

After all the nips look at the switch as the next handheld if Sony does not have any plans(which they don't have because of the vita's failure). Now we only have this tablet thingy, sure we get Pokemon and the usual suspects of JRPGs but I'm afraid there is not going to be a pure dedicated handheld.

good riddance. the DS was the stupidest gimmick in handhelds, up until they managed to shoehorn an even worse one into it with 3D.

The sleep function may as well not exist. The only thing thats shut off is the screen, the hardware still drains everything within at least 24 hours. Though the battery does hold its charge fairly well when its completely shut off. Had over half a charge on mine when I let it stay off for a few weeks.

WE

The death of handhelds isn't a big deal. I mainly use handhelds to move around the house while I play. If I bring one somewhere, it's to play games with friends at a coordinated time, because otherwise I'm not going to walk around staring at a DS like a child. The Switch is good for both of these; the only thing the DS was good for that it's not is carrying around on your person to take out and play whenever. But no self-respecting person actually does that.

kys

What do you use the DS for that you can't do with the Switch? Do you actually take it places and just play children's games in front of other people? Mobile games might be mostly bad, but a few aren't, and as a bonus people won't look at you like you have autism.

One of the few situations where (((it's current year!))) is actually true. I swear people who say stuff like this haven't actually talked to people themselves about what they think about people playing handhelds in public or have done so themselves. Video games are more popular than ever and if you actually talked to people about games you would know that no one really has a problem with Pokemon. I've seen plenty of normalfags play Pokemon and Monster Hunter in the military. You might as well say people who play video games are basement dwelling fat nobodies. The same bullshit the media was pushing until video games became the norm.

DS lasts longer than the Switch while also having a much larger library. The DS actually fits in your pocket while the Switch struggles to do so. The DS is also more durable than the Switch besides the hinges. It's an actual portable device as opposed to a tablet that takes up 2 pockets because you have to carry both the screen and the controllers. And if you have a flashcart, you can play a ton of games on the DS. Now the 3DS isn't as good when it comes to the library but its still better than the Switch's.

There's also the fact that many games that aren't big enough to go on consoles go to handhelds. Less demanding games like Layton, Phoenix Wright, Etrian Odyssey, and most Dragon Quest games. They're cheaper and actually get the light of day on a handheld because people don't expect them to have groundbreaking graphics and devs usually get more creative freedom because they're not so costly to make. Even if the Switch was actually a good portable console (which it isn't due to its size and battery life), it still wouldn't get the kind of games you would see on the 3DS and Vita unless everything starts getting ported over.

That's a decent senran.

WUZ

I'm still hoping that Sony does *something*. Vita survives in Japan because most JP players play during the commute. Some are satisfied with mobage """"games"""" (more like colorful casinos with cutscenes and "gameplay"), but others prefer actual 'classic' videogames, and remote play coupled with their solid internet makes for decent ways of playing 'console games on the go'.

The switch is *nowhere* near that level of adoption. It's too small to be a fully fledged big console and it's too big to be a decent portable. It's basically in a middle state, just like 'phablets', which are too small to be a decent laptop but too big to be a smartphone you can actually put in a pocket.
Battery life doesn't help either, and the system software design itself is still shitty. Recent update allows transferring savedata but it's one-way and requires transferring *everything*. There is still no way to properly back up your own save data. Lose or get your Switch destroyed? Say goodbye to all that data - there isn't even a PS+ cloud save equivalent.

Sony, or Sega, whoever it has to be, needs to step up and make a proper competitor. Otherwise Nintendo will monopolize non-mobage portable gaming with the not-so-portable Switch.

KANGZ

I hope you die a slow and painful death

In order to use wacoms patent you pay out the ass as a 3rd part user of its patent, so unless you want to pay an extra 200-300 for a nintendo handheld, forget it.

Nintendos problem is gating its software, sonys is that it gates its hardware. With custom firmware, which the switch will get, the gated software problem will probably be somewhat fixed, gated hardware fixes like with the vita are nowheres near as nice. Both suck. and I hope that with switch cfw someone hacks and makes custom servers free of nintendo pay to play online tyranny.

Never get into ASMR. You will sleep too comfortably.

Katsuragi is nice but I like Ryouna and Mirai.

I really hope someone makes a handheld for everyone to move to. The Switch is less of a hybrid and more like its own impractical niche that doesn't really satisfy both needs of consoles or handhelds. Most people will use it as a console but it's well known to be inferior to every console. It can almost be used as a handheld but it's knowingly inferior to every handheld. If SEGA does go back into the market, a handheld might be a great idea. They just need to avoid everything wrong that the Vita did and get Monster Hunter.

It's over Nintendo is finished

Where/How did the Vita fail? It always seemed to be the better choice, spec wise, but I've always been weirded out that it never got the same amount of care as the 3DS. Was it the lack of titles?

Lack of noteworthy "must-haves" on it, and they lack system sellers as well
The proprietary SD card thing is a bit of a nuisance as well, and it definitely shouldn't have been done when their more well-known competitors were allowing the 3DS to use microSDs and SD cards.
3DS kills it with first party games and
general "must-haves' on their system.
The Vita has a pretty good library but the marketing for it is all but nonexistent as well; ask most gamers (who don't own a Vita or aren't full-on Sonyggers) if they can think of a game worth having on the Vita and they likely won't be able to do it.
I considered getting a Vita too just from hearing so many good things about it on Holla Forums as an emulation machine among other things, but I've rarely heard any titles that would really drive me towards it to begin with.
Plus it didn't really have any impressive gimmicks to go with it either; that's kind of lame but the 3DS catches your eyes with its dual-screens. Design appeal is a thing, believe it or not, and it becomes very recognizable with the way Nintendo brands and markets their product.

Sega has a distinct advantage over most competitors by already having one of the most recognizable and strongest mascots in gaming; they can provide some decent first party support on it if they were to truly try. Plus they have a reputation and ability to get away with stuff Ninty wouldn't be able to, like uncensored games and whatnot. They could market themselves towards a more "hardcore" audience.

They pushed it too hard as a portable console imo. There should never have been Vita/PS3/PS4 multiplatforms, that just led the Vita to get inferior versions of games.

What I wanna know is why you'd want to merge your home and handhelds if your goal is ever profit? Sure there's costs on two fronts but don't you also reap that much more profit? I feel like the issue might be that Nintendo (alongside it's competitors) just struggles to develop a good enough library of games altogether and focusing on one platform is seen as a remedy and also an excuse to not have too much raw power behind their product. -so there goes all the eggs in one basket but what the hell happens if that doesn't do well enough? Well if nothing else Nintendo does better using their dedicated store space efficiently with the small game cases and extra room for amiibo bullshit.

Its idiotic as well because the Switch is at a static price point, and most of its games will be at console prices
That won't make the handheld crowd eager to buy it at all; its the most expensive handheld I've seen in a long time if its considered that, with the most expensive games too.

Could be something to do with the Wii U eating into profit made by 3DS, though that is just conjecture on my part.

the Wii U was an objective failure by every measure; if anything the 3DS took all the money from the Wii U market

I don't know about that. When the DS first came out, I remember thinking "Two screens? Why?" and for some games, "Why?" was a good question. The idea of the 3D in the 3DS did interest me at first, but when I first heard that you had to basically cross your eyes, I also asked "Why? Did we really need this?" Honestly, the best part about the DS and 3DS design was the fact that it could fold into itself so it could fit into your pocket and protect its screens.

The 3D was a pointless gimmick, but the two screens (with one being a touch screen) was a great feature.

sega is staying out of the console market because r&d costs of hardware areactually quite expensive.

that hurt it the most, at this point my vita gets most of its use from remote play.

no disagreement with it basically being a bloody expensive handheld, but nintendo moving to basically a handheld console and eventually just the handheld console is probably a smart move software development wise. its a gamble, and I have no clue on how it will play out until I see the 1 year sales numbers, since I am not the faggot patcher who trys to talk through his ass and acts like a broken clock. they do need better pricing for the games though or they will kill sales first and third party, or end up having flash sales like sony.

Considering Nintendo can't into /security, it'll happen eventually.
First thing to come out will probably be a savedata manager. But that won't fix the shitty battery life and build of the system - things that will be inevitably addressed with the upcoming new! Switch +XL HDR Turbo VR edition

I also don't go outside.

Nintendo's idea of VR is going to be a cardboard box that you put the Switch in and tie the box to your head with shoestring.

Proprietary memory helped the system stay hack-free and piracy-free for a long time, second only to the PS3 once the lv0 keys got leaked.
Sony can into /security a bit better than Ninty, since PS3 is only fully blown up with up to 2011 systems and for the Vita only on 3.60 system software, whereas the 3DS is basically at the endgame now that the bootrom has been blown to bits.

The lack of true system seller titles later on also killed the 'mainstream' appeal of the system. True, JP fans are happy as fuck with the Vita, but it's a niche part of the market, regardless. Vita started strong with great system tech-spectacular titles such as Killzone and Uncharted (this one being made by the Syphon Filter guys) but then it just flatlined. The true system seller for many was actually Persona 4 Golden.

Even the big gimmick of the system, the dual touch, was heavily unused. A Trauma Center game could've worked greatly on the system, but Atlus seems to have forgotten about this series now.

All things against it, though - the Vita is a solidly built system. Battery is good, if you run out of power the system actually goes into deep sleep and you can resume where you left off once you charge it back. The buttons are clicky and comfortable, dual sticks beat the shit out of the 3DS circle pad and 'nipple'.
A 3.60 Vita with SD card board can turn into a very versatile emulation + PS1 classics + PSP games + up to 3.60 Vita games machine. Then there's Remote play, which also makes the system work as an extra DS4 controller for your PS4.

Sony went all out with it but sadly cut the lifeline short (outside of Japan). I'm still hoping for a Vita2, newPSP, whatever the fuck so that Nintendo has *something* to go against to…

Probably. And it'll include the VirtualBoy library for free only if you're a 'Switch Ambassador' that bought the system on launch. In short, it'll be Nintendo Cardboard.

You're just a faggot.

Considering Google Cardboard is a thing and the motion controls can detect head motion, this actually isn't completely implausible.

but user that would be the literal final death knell for it unless they came out with some really, really good and hyped up titles for it. More of the same is Sony's biggest problem right now. I despise them as a company, but I despise Nintendo having a chance of holding a monopoly over any part of the video game market even more. Think about what they've been doing with their consoles. They haven't innovated at all, relying on exclusives to keep their platform afloat.
If it wasn't for Microsoft failing so utterly at everything they would be in much worse straits than they are (and in fact every other part of Sony has near-collapsed at this point. Vidya is their last hope).
They're probably going to come out with a "PS5" for their new console instead of doing anything new at all. It will have more power and better specs and that will literally be it. They're clinging to exclusives, which is helpign them out against a flailing microsoft but they're gonna get killed soon unless they start actually doing something. This will be reflected in their handheld market as well if they try what you're suggesting. They need to do something different.

Pretty much. I absolutely loathe Sony's shit customer support and shitty store (in the console especially) but at the very least they got the big titles and varied games. They got Kojima after Konami fucked him over. Meanwhile, Microsoft almost kills Platinum thanks to the Scalebound mess, but thankfully Yoko Taro and Square saved their asses.

If the Vita is fully dead, the JP games will start jumping to the Switch, which is something I most definitely *do not* want (and is already happening). Censorship, not being able to save backups of progress, shitty ass system? No thanks.

And yeah, vidya is what kept Sony alive. Thanks to MS fucking up beyond belief before even launching the system (Sony's 'used game instructional video' says hi), PS4 pretty much steamrolled the generation and even PSVR and other services such as Vue are being profitable, according to their recent reports.

The new handheld (if they do it) will most likely be something like the "Sony Convert" or "Sony Flip" as a callout to the Switch. The PSP already had TV out, hell - the Nomad had TV out and an extra controller port for your friend. If they make the portable have full PS2 support it'd be a great addition, but most importantly it should *not* use shitty proprietary expensive memory.
Being something too gimmicky or different might be bad, though. It'll be novelty for a while and then just die again.

There's still a part of the market that just wants a portable system to play regular-ass games. No wagglan or motion controlling stuff. Just some god damn games. The Switch does not exactly fill that niche, and that's where they should strike at, I'd hope.

I really want Sony to stay in the handheld market (because current gen consoles are trash). All they have to do is drop the proprietary memory bullshit and make nice exclusives. We know Microsoft will continue to do nothing. Nintendo has the young/casual crowd. The older/niche crowd is up for grabs.

this is what cancerous consolefags actually believe.
Anyone whose sole reason for purchasing shit like this isn't to immediately put CFW on it and pirate all available games deserves a ride on the auschwitz rollercoaster

At least they're getting Bloodstained while none of Ninty's systems do; though that's a multiplat and also doesn't really apply to next-gen either. SMT V is going to be on the Switch though which I have strong misgivings for considering how Ninty likes to censor anything mature.
But yes, they do need something with a gimmick and a different enough design from the PS Vita and PSP, something sleek, sexy. They need to do something similar to what the genesis did in the 90s if they wanna take on Nintendo again. Problem is they're acting like scared rats clinging to the remaining scraps of their food instead of taking the risk to go out into the open and nab some big cheese. They'll eventually starve at this rate.
Hopefully they do add in a gimmick that adds a possible new mechanic for game devs to work on, while still being a stronger system than Nintendo's, and they need to market it as such.

One part of the problem is they haven't marketed at all towards that crowd. The older/niche games is harder to get attention for, and harder to make games for because the market for them tends to be a bit more discerning. You simply cannot just ignore the young/casual market either unless you go all the way with your shit, no going back. And even then its still unlikely. In terms of "nice exclusives" they have an okay amount, but they have way too many console ports, and they have next to no universally recognizable titles on the damn thing. Another huge problem with this as well is that niche/hardcore markets aren't easily marketed to with traditional advertising. The best way to reel them in is organically by talking with people, interacting with communities, putting out competent games and showing results. Basically what a game company should do.
I dunno if they're willing to put in the work at this point. They're a fattened rat who thinks the food will just naturally come to it at this point. Either way we'll see what happens at the end of the day. Hopefully they won't fuck things up.

why is 3ds having production halted when it's made them billions of dollars and is still so popular?

Because Nintendo is retarded

why yes, i'd love to be given a handful of dollars for a working system i have a library for, that's definitely a good decision.
you fucking mank.

Are you Brazilian?

I am

I have the same cintiq I would rather have gone for the more expensive ones since they got a better pressure sensitivity then the 13 hd.

it works fine for me, but I wish I had a touch ring, I had an intuos pro before this and that had really good touch controls.

How to make a portable sony console that will win the gen:
1)Round up all the IPs you still have from the PS2 gen, that don't have licensing problems
2)Make a good ps2 emu for the console
3)Make the games free(*)
* You actually have to pay PSPlus if you want to play them
Here, sony is saved

fuckoff

pretty sure there are probably a lot of patents on this, but I still think this would be cool

the display is not that useful because gotta have your neck not break, but then again your wrist is going to be more tired than your neck

Not really. Lack of a stylus kills any precision touch games.

fake and gay. you can watch youtube videos on the switch

The switch is a handheld that pretends to be a home console. A glorified tablet that mirrors to the tv through a cable.

the buttons on my n3dsxl feel pretty fucking fragile to me. I don't even want to play on it because I know that the buttons are going to break very soon. I've played less than 300 hours on it. The buttons on my ndsl are also kinda poop, but at least they're soft instead of clicky. I've had to repair them twice on my ndsl.

2 screens was a stupid gimmick . The switch is turning out to be the best Handel's released in a long time.

Doesn't mean its automatically bad, the two screens was a clever idea because it effectively gave you a bigger area to play on while being space efficient thanks to its folding design.

Trauma Center/Team would have been perfect on the WiiU. Shit was essentially made for a Trauma game.

And barely anyone would have a problem with them if they were priced nearly the same as other SD cards and had much faster transferring speeds.

Actually Sony barely even tried. They immediately gave up on it when the Uncharted game didn't sell so well. They then refused to lower the memory card prices despite being a huge reason why people wouldn't buy it. And then they didn't bother making bundles for it outside of maybe Borderlands. Meanwhile in Japan it was getting a whole bunch of bundles. Even Fate Extella got a Vita bundle. With the west, they didn't even try with the Vita.

The main problem was many games didn't even bother designing around the 2 screens. Most of the time it was just one screen did everything and the bottom screen might as well be a start menu. Not only that but the resolution of the games were terrible.

DS Lite owner here. 12 hours battery tbh fam. That's stock, not an upgrade or anything.

I could see making something with a few AVR microcontrollers, because those are dirt cheap. You won't get anything like current handhelds though, because those chips aren't at the same level as ARMs. But you could do gameboy color stuff easily enough, and maybe a bit more. Battery life would be pretty good too, unless you insist on a big screen.

Fuck off Quentin.

Forceful adoption of new devices

i just found out there were like 3 medabots games on the gbc, nothing translated i think

They also said the NX wasn't going to be the successor to the Wii U.

Yeah, that's true. The benefit of piracy prevention was moot when the system didn't sell much thanks to the stupid-ass memory cards. To add to insult, that 'extra 1GB' internal available in the 2000 model could easily be added to the 1000 model via an update, since there's a ~2.5 GB free space in the NAND that HENkaku allows you to mount.

I was never interested in the Wii U but if a Trauma game came out for it I would've gotten one used at the very least. Too bad Atlus doesn't care about it anymore…

They already slightly did that with the New 3DS shit. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did intend to compete with its current "handheld"

The companies that dedicate time solely to making mobile games, and have a good amount of cash, make pieces of shit that get popular then die just as quickly. No one is making mobile good, even those invested in it, because they know how to make a quick buck.

Fuck off normalfag

To add even more to insult. Sony did nothing with the Vita updates besides add more security measures. The PS4 was getting new features (or old ones from the PS3) while the Vita got nothing. The Vita's "failure" was due to Sony's stubbornness. They refused to listen to their audience about the memory cards, was stupid enough to let Nintendo get a hold on Monster Hunter because they let it go over fucking trophies, and then they refused to make new games for it while doing nothing with the UI or software. Like making it so there's AA when taking screenshots.

It's almost like the SEGA Saturn. How SEGA of Japan was so pissed that SoA was doing well that they decided to not localize nearly 90% of the library just to spite them. Figuratively shooting themselves in the foot just to spite them.

If you actually disable Streetpass in the options, the 3DS actually has a decent battery life in sleep mode.

That's not entirely true. They removed a few features as well.

I think you're overexaggerating how many people here play games on their PC. Personally I much prefer playing on a console just because it feels more authentic. When I play on PC I feel like I'm being cucked by people who can and will just pirate everything that I've had to pay money for.

That's not an advantage to anyone but Sony, and not even them because The 3DS was not hampered by being a leaky bucket security-wise. Also now that people have come up with SD card adapters it just makes them look like idiots and gives people even more incentive to hack it.

I want them to do one thing the Switch is doing that is nice: True region-free. Specifically, the ability to use multiple region stores without any issues. Also no proprietary storage yes.

It's pretty commonly agreed that Sony is the biggest problem with the system. Despite that it got its share of love from certain facets of games and it's my favourite handhold. at the moment.

Same but only because I like my computer to be libre. No proprietary games there.

Because it will make weaboos go full REEEEE MUH normalfagS.

I find funny how often people claim the Switch to be the "successor" of the Vita, especially when they're the same fags that would shit on the Vita for "not having games" or "having only pantsu games" (whenever their narrative worked) and often saying the memory cards were the problem when

Not saying I'm defending the expensive memory cards of the Vita (Sony should have lowered down the prices on them at least), but people seems more willing to ignore or defend the expensive accessories for the Switch on the other hand.

I like the Switch, I just wish it had a better battery life and more games.
I preferred the Vita over the 3DS/DS, and I prefer the Switch over the DS family too.

I'm not a graphicsfag or anything, but the DS's line of graphics was so bad that they gave me eye cancer. At least the Switch is bearable in handheld mode.

DS(Lite) was fine, I can actually play japanese games in moonrunes since the devs paid attention in choosing proper fonts adequate to the screens. Cant say the same about the 3DS tho, the XL model also made everything worse by increasing the screens size but keeping the same resolution.

I'll still keep my DS lite and Vita preciously as the last genuine handhelds.

At the very least the Switch is compatible with almost any portable smarphone batteries, so theoretically you could easily double it's battery life, but you would also have to carry an extra battery with you.
The problem is that hardware technology has advanced much faster than battery technology, so you can't have a portable console with advanced graphics, small device and long-lasting batteries. It's only two out of the three.

Couldn't the solution be a peripheral that'd give the switch a top-screen? Better yet one with a slot to play physical copies of ds/3ds games.

the switch is dogshit in every way imaginable. i hope to god nintendo kills the 3ds because it will make them die that much faster. who am i kidding, retards and normalfags implying there's a difference will keep buying whatever shitty mario game they pump out each year

fuck off shill

being able to see two screens at once was handy for some games. etrian odyssey comes to mind. the touchscreen is hardly ever useful though.

i can live without those if i'm on the go.

If the Switch wasn't such a sales success 7 million sold as of Sept 30, half of what the Wii U in total sold over 4.5 years, I would've expect a 3DS successor. What I would expect now is that Nintendo would probably be willing make some sort of new separate quirky gaming hardware gimmick (like an augmented reality tabletop board gaming TV-less device?) with it's own games that would be sold alongside the Switch (and retro hardware like the Nintendo Classic Mini NES/SNES)

It's like how Perfect Dark pushed the N64 to it's limits graphically while putting in as much other innovative gameplay features (body feature shooting, shooting out lights to darken a room, Counter Ops mode, bots with different AI in multiplayer). What seemed like was going to be the future and possible standard of (console) FPS games never came to pass.

Every time I think about getting a new 3DS I get to the checkout cart and have a powerful feeling of "I don't really care" wash over me. I've already played it all before. Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, chibi JRPGs, titty ninjas. What's the point of it all?

The 3DS is literally rehash the console, even the name is a rehash. There's barely anything unique except for some of the 3DS shop games.

Same with the whole current gen. I've thought of picking up a PS4 for a couple of years now but still don't really feel I need to have one.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a portable only "Switch GO" in the future.