Vagrant Story thread

Holy shit this game is hard as balls. I forgot that RPGs could actually kill you back in the day.

So this is what FF12 would've been like if they'd let the original developer do his thing. I kept expecting Vaan to show up and ruin the whole game again.

Nah you're just bad at video games.
And if you use affinity system properly it becomes even easier.

I'm going in blind. I have no idea what I am doing.

Well there is two ways to play this game
1 - infinite combos
2 - "proper" way where you spend like 30 hours in fucking menus
Second one is much easier, but obviously much longer.

I can't seem to be able to get more than 1 chain no matter how accurately I time the second hit, I figured chain length increases as you level up.

I vaguely remember that you can assign specific attack to the face buttons.
As a kid I just assigned attacks with the most generous follow up windows and kept whacking everything with square and circle or something.
I only died a few times and though that game is boring as shit with only twist at the end being very cool.
Years later I tried it again now paying attention to affinities and shit and boy it ended up being even more boring, so I dropped it after 10 hours.

It's just because you're winging it. The game expects you to really use the weapon forge system. You need specialized weapons for at least every enemy race in the game. A dragon spear is especially needed since the weak point of those bosses is usually the tail and you need the reach. A silver-undead weapon is also a must.
Don't even attempt the final boss unless you have a weapon with a shit-ton of reach.

I fucking beat the entire game with iron rapier or something similar.
I guess I could be pretty gud at rhythm games if I played them.

Not saying you're lying, but that isn't a statement that makes any sense to me. It's kind of like saying you beat a resident evil game with only the knife.
Even if you abuse the shit out of combos and make the entire game not fun, the final boss very specifically punishes the shit out of you for having short reach. You must have played extremely autistically.

It's possible if he kept using reflect damage. That's how I had to beat the golem boss since all of my weapons dealt about 1-6 damage to him.

It was 20 or so years ago I don't remember the specifics.
I had no idea what I was doing and just kept ramming up at enemies until my 1 dmg hits started to deal real damage. Basically I was killing everyone in one single combo consisting of two hits.

Shit takes way too fucking long.

Problem is fucking around with menus and crafting takes even longer, especially if you want to min max it.

I love VS, but I've always felt maybe I played it wrong. I only used regular swords in every playthrough and risk combos to win anything. I never used magic, Break Arts or anything like that because they seemed to do shit damage, just the hit-> Crimson Blood-> hit→ Crimson Blood until anything died, then I waited two minutes for the Risk to go down to zero.

Same as user here, beat the game four times or so always the same way, with a sword, didn't use any workshop forging shit either.

Yeah and the problem is that if you actually learn damage system and commit to it, you feel punished instead of rewarded because you constantly need to tinker with your equipment, disassemble and reassemble it regularly, and switch out weapon every room or two, sometimes even in one room, all with terribly designed menus with long ass animations and loading times.
I understand that game was very experimental and made in the era of experiments, but it just didn't age well.
It would really benefit from modern quality of life improvements like fast well organised mouse driven menus and weapons quick slots.

I still love this game and all it's flaws. The tinkering the combat, the weird story…beautiful as well, as the art direction is amazing.
So Sad we'll never get more Ivalice stuff.

Wasn't there some ivalice updated in ff14?

You can infinite chain him too

Yeah all you need is Ward anyway if you happen to miss his quick attack which user is talking about here about short reach.

MMORPG weekly cameos don't count.

really makes you think

What would this game look like if Square decided this was a fantastic franchise to exploit and dump yearly sequels to instead of leaving it to rest?

it's not as easy as that. the timing in combos becomes semi-randomized the higher you go, which can force you to break a combo.
also, damage is determined by affinity and weapon type so enjoy doing combos of 1 dmg per hit.

Some advice, you have to use magic, not attack magic, but buffs. Buffs and debuffs are essential. Otherwise you will almost always deal 0 to 1 damage to bosses. Never delved too deep into the weapon assembling and fusing but it's worth looking into it.
Enjoy, it's a great fucking game and I wish that team had made more dark games like that, besides Tactics.

lmao

Not really, just harsher overall. As long as you had it down to muscle memory, you should at least get to 50 or so chains each attack before breaking the combo, when the requirement becomes split second precise timing.
Only on the initial attack. Each successful chain added a point of damage. So theoretically, you could be running around shit gear/full risk/no prostasia or buffs, and still progress if you were autistic enough and didn't have the reflexes of a geriatrics ward patient.

Nigger just use Crimson Pain and Phantom Pain as chain abilities as the game is done. Even if you start with 1 DMG, it builds up to 25+ as you keep chaining.

Once you know what you're doing with the weapon types it's a very reasonably challenged game. Also buffs.
Absolutely one of a kind and we will never see anything like it again :(

This is nothing like any other JRPG in existence.

IIRC there's an in-game manual in the menu.
You should at least read it to get a good understanding of the mechanics.

Anyway, in gist form:
There's a bunch of enemy types namely: human, beast, dragon, undead, …
Everytime you hit a human, you train your weapon to be stronger against humans, but at the same time it gets weaker against the 2 types below 'human'.
There's also 3 different weapon and element types which different enemies are weak against.
Usually, you'll be training 3 types of weapons to cover all enemy types. It won't cover all, but it will be good enough to progress.
Learn their QTEs.

As you progress even further you'' need to use combos to: max weapon's HP and Phantom Points
When you have a bunch of weapons with both HP and PP maxed out, then you could pretty much just use the PP to deal damage to all bosses.
ALSO: learning about the crafting system makes the game easy.

or you could just do what i did as a kid: master the QTE of the crossbow and pretty much combo everything until they die
dealing miniscule, but ascending damage, eg: miss, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 … per sequence

I wanted to play both

The game is unfun either way.
Story is ok and aesthetics are god-tier so it's just better to watch it on youtube these days and just skip combat sequences.

said like a true jrpgfag