WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENS TO ETRIAN ODYSSEY NOW?

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENS TO ETRIAN ODYSSEY NOW?

I'm super excited for EOV, my copy ships in a few days, i replaced my broken 3DS and shits gonna be tippy toppers.
But this is the end of the 3DS. Nintendos dropping it after Pokemon US/UM and its basically on Atlus support till Stranger Journey. With shit already starting to move onto the Switch with SMT5.

So what the fuck happens to Etrian Odyssey?

EO6 on the switch? Can't use the touch screen when docked, doesn't have two screens to keep the cartography system up and separate. So what happens? they can't take it vita because A: shits dead and B: has one screen. Xbone is a fucking joke and PS4 is flooded with weebshit and has no touch screen map drawing options.

So does it go to the switch but ONLY works in handheld like VOEZ does?
Or does it end with V and the series dies with the DS archetype along with shit like Hotel Dusk and 2D Castlevanias?

it moves to phones?

You could hypothetically make an app that works in tandem with the game for cartography, but that could be a load of ass too, especially in handheld.

Pic your poison.

This one. EO is a successful series, but it's not so big that Atlus will jump through hoops to properly adapt it to a new platform. At best it will live on as a brand name with nothing in common with its predecessors. I think they'll probably push out an EO3 Untold sometime next year, though. The New 2DS XL or whatever will buoy the market long enough for that.

I just want my 'closest to dungeon meshi or made in abyss games as i will ever get' games to still give me something in future. The trouble with EO is you map the stratums once and you've seen everything.

If they hadn't wasted time remaking good games for no reason we'd have 7 and be waiting for the 8th.

I know they would never do it because japan refuses to play on PC again but the series could easily continue the same premise as a multi-window pc game like what japs always use to do. Just have a dedicated map drawing window and you're good to go.

thank god

Someone bully this faggot, I'm too lazy to do it

JUST LET US HAVE OUR WEEBSHIT!

Millennium girl is better than vanilla one

Some people just can't get over it dropping the illusion of a medieval fantasy world in the first half hour.

Fuck this game.

It dies.
How do you even ask such a stupid question?
We have a generation where successful, easily doable franchises were killed off, where companies strive to do everything they can to alienate fans and get off on abusing their fans and still seeing them crawl back.
Why would they keep the series going? If they did, why wouldn't they just find new ways to ruin it, like amiibos. Its current year +2 user, why do you expect something that isn't terrible?
Nintendo is fucking trash. Gaming is fucked and you and I both knew when the 3DS is gone, we would have nothing left aside from the occasional PC game.

If you played the original first, it would bother you too. It wasn't even hinted at until you got to the 5th stratum, then Untold drops you in a parallel dungeon that's actually the part that irritates me more almost directly after the tutorial mission and goes "lol look at all the technology." TMG isn't a horrible game, I appreciate the fixes to the mechanics and descriptions, but it's hard to respect it as a remake when it throws away the one revelation the already barebones plot had.

Really nigger? You'd rather have a remake of a good game than a different hopefully good game?

It'll probably move to the Switch. For whatever reason folks seem to be buying the shit out of the thing so hopefully it'll have the install base to keep smaller series like EO alive.

Lets hope it survives. They might make it a button to switch from map to walking around, and maybe put the map on the corner of the screen? Atlus would have to brainstorm on that one. Though even if Etrian Odyssey is kill, at least we have 5 and the spinoffs if you like them games to enjoy. Not many franchises can say the same.

EOV was pretty good. The seiyuu and general customization were great additions, but the rest of the game felt a bit average for the series. None of the music was phenomenal, the floor bosses were meh, the classes were very standard, and portrait variation was poop. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was phoned in, but it kind of felt like it was missing a certain something that would make it mega ultra awesome and elevate it. It was very fun to play through it with everyone on the thread though.

The series has better damn continue.

Im stuck on the 6th stratum and i cannot figure out what im doing wrong. Its the top left part of the 27th floor. Entering the blue portal from the top brings me to a yellow portal that brings me back earlier and i just cannot figure out where to go.

You're seiyuufag, arent you?

I suppose a seperate map screen that you switch to could work, the trouble is that switching to it could be a pain in the ass in ceratian instances. Think of the 24th floor in EO3, you can't see where you are on the map and you keep warping through walls into all those tiny little rooms so you need to pay very close attention to the map to keep track of where you are. Not being able to have the map up constantly and draw as I go would be a nightmare.

Don't they still release those Generation Xth games on PC? I dunno, maybe they stopped that years ago.
But yeah, there's no way a handheld exclusive Atlus game is going to come to PC.

Seiyuufag pls go. I guess I don't care all that much since you can turn them off, but it just feels like a pointless addition.

The Etrian name continues as a dungeon crawler but the Odyssey moniker falls off in favour of a new subtitle (Adventure, Journey, Legend, any synonym of Odyssey really) to show it doesn't focus on the map making feature anymore.
Although to be fair the map making system could continue, it just wouldn't be as intuitive without a touch screen.

B-but i can use some of the feminine dudes with female seiyuu's to make trap characters!

Well who knows, if they end it on a high note then I will be ok with it. I am loving EOV so far, probably my favourite in the series.

Pick one and only one. If the series you like isn't fucked by current year it will be by current year + x. "x" being inversely proportional to a series popularity, but it will come.

A man can dream.

The map making gimmick is stupid anyway. I just look up the maps online every time I play it. Making your own maps is tedious as fuck.

Absolutely disgusting.

Not him, but did they learn the lesson and didn't spoil the reveal in U2 about "god" and his castle (in exchange of butchering the game balance and adding a lot of DLC)?

I've never played any Etrian Odyssey, but this song is fucking amazing.

The 5th stratum's theme will blow you away and it's something to be experienced.

I bet you hate games that don't give you quest markers too.

You should play them, they're pretty fun and every one of them has great music.

I think the Developer hinted at one more game with drawn maps, but the games may change after that.

i've never liked drawing my own maps, not since eo1 and i'm glad they ruined your tedious little timewasting excuse for a game "feature". stay salty fags.

also necromancer > everything

and the voice of wider market appeal speaks. Thank you for convincing devs niches were not worth it goyim kun.

Necro is utter trash unless you use one strat that makes them OP as all hell.

Well, it's still doable, you just need to rethink the interface.
Probably part of the screen will be taken up by the map on which you could draw.
The real question is will they bother to move it on to switch? the best answer I have for this is "I hope so".

Is EOV worth playing in spite of the localization? The memes are bad enough but after looking into who wrote this shamble of a translation and seeing that at least half the team definitely sway to the SJW male ally playerbase loathing territory, it's really hard to justify even pirating knowing that it was "jazzed up" from whatever the original delivery conveyed.

I understand skepticism about (((localization))), but you're trying a bit too hard here. The game is 100% completely fine. You shouldn't buy it regardless, because Atlus removed Seiyuu and deserve nothing, but you can not possibly lose by pirating it.

It probably is a little extreme to go that far, but looking forward to the game for so long and then seeing what actually comes out really bums me out. It just never stops popping up.

Your beloved game will die, just like all the other franchises we ever loved

Its half fine. The story is intact but the side quests and misc dialogue are questionable.

A single spooky/spoopy meme for the children does not instantaneously ruin the game. It's shit for sure, and definitely shouldn't be in there, but I hesitate to condemn the game entirely for that alone. On my playthrough, I saw no other real red flags.

What's the deal with the second screenshot?

Honestly, them stopping support for the 3ds in favor of the switch would only open up the market for Sony to release another portable to rake in. It'd be a bad move on nintendo's part to abandon 3ds, especially now.

Oh, I see. I don't watch television much. That's actually fairly subtle.

I've been playing dungeon crawlers since Wizardry and I don't understand map autism. I was happy to drop grid paper and being forced to use it doesn't give me warm fuzzies. EOV is practically fucking automapped anyway but dragging over DOOR and STAIR icons is still necessary so people can pretend that part of the franchise is still a thing, I guess. The only time I'm interested in doing it myself is for the requisite teleporter maze floor and EO has never even had a particularly devious one, even Strange Journey's was harder. An automap you can write on was good enough for Ultima Underworld and it should be good enough for you.

It would work fine on Switch, you can just keep the 3DS ratio and shove the map into a corner with the extra space then have a button to blow it up and do things with it. The problem with Switch is muh graphics budget.

Drawing a map in D&D is pretty hard, I always liked cartography in UO. They should make mapping a character skill so you can level it up to increase map quality.

This would actually fit in with the new goofed up racial skills in EOV that you have to have to not fail events. It's the first EO in which I've made two totally separate questing/mapping and FOE/boss-rape parties.

The NPC goes on about going to "flavorland". It's not subtle at all.
Also, Arken refers to the world as "Earth" in the 6th stratum but in the nip version she makes it clear you're on Mars, not Earth.

Hopefully Atlus will focus their dungeon crawling development back to SMT and Persona where it originally belongs.

There is that SJ remake if it counts.

I just want my 'closest to dungeon meshi or made in abyss games as i will ever get' games to still give me something in future. The trouble with EO is you map the stratums once and you've seen everything.

Why did you copy/paste ?

Why are there so few lolis in these games now? In the first two I could make an entire team full of lolis, EOV only has a couple besides the brounis and they're technically just midgets.
The headpat factor has been diminished greatly.

Either a suit-decision, or Himukai is betraying his roots. Either way, it's a huge problem.

This one? Doesn't sound like much compared to the one I posted.

I'll check it out, looks like they're all on 3DS and I don't have one. Looks like Citra is the only 3DS emulator around but seems tohave problems.

The first three are on the original DS and can be emulated if you don't have one, though that might make map drawing a pain in the ass.

I heard that Persona Q was similar to EO, though I played neither of them.

You can make some solid traps though.

No, this one.

If its Untold 3 on the Switch we know which way the winds blowing.

Yeah, and that's an even bigger problem. They took away almost all the lolis (the only proper loli is one of the female necromancers) and made almost every single fucking male a trap. Remove loli, gay everything up. It's happening in almost everything these days. Really common in anime too. It's the default to have at least one faggot trap in every single show, and to tone down or censor everything loli. Even seemingly dedicated loli shows like that Prisma Illya shit had its loli content toned down from the source material and added a bunch of gay shota shit.

It's just like in the West. They're slowly removing the young attractive girls and shoehorning gay boys into everything. They're just more subtle about it.

Would you say the west and east is taken over by the gay community?

WHEN THE FUCK HAPPENS TO ETRIAN ODYSSEY NOW

With this and the uncertain nature of EO's continuation after the 3DS is done, we've got the perfect opportunty for a competitor to come in. Someone just needs to make a story-light dungeon crawler with lots of lolis but without moeblob otaku pandering; a cute artstyle but a serious tone.
It can't be that hard to do.

I'm just about ready to give up on this fucking game. I've started EO2 3 separate times in my life, and due to circumstances I've either lost my save file or my will to play each time. Always around the 3rd stratum, level 30ish average party. I just want to continue one to EO3 already goddamnit.

I don't know if I'll be able to summon the autism to begin anew again.

What's the problem? EO2 is probably my favourite from the series.

No problem with the game itself, but it's just that sometime life comes at you fast and things don't line up. I can only play the same 20 hours of the same game so many times in my life. At this point, I'm beyond tired of it all, and I really don't want to wait another year or so to recharge my batteries, as it were, and restart again.

They could just make the map an overlay you can toggle and draw on while moving.
There's already an automapping feature so they can just enable that when the console is docked while allowing you to place icons using your controller.

So i finally got my physical copy of V delivered and playing on Advanced really feels like either grinding is more required, levels are going to be significant power upgrades or playing Untold 1 before this ruined me.

Early on im using Dragoon, Warloc, Masuro, Botanist and Harbinger. So far Botanist and Harbinger seem kind of shitty. Should i swap out for something like a Shaman and Necromancer?

Learn Japanese.

You're going to want to fill every guild slot with every class and wear the Memory Conch to share exp to them. This way you can swap things out when you feel like you can't go on otherwise. Also, don't neglect Pugilist. You may want two later.
So far I only had to do this for two of the later stratum bosses, and you have access to Heavenly Gift which you can use on certain FOEs to get 2+ levels in less than 10 rounds of combat, so it was trivial. If you're ever actually doing any time consuming 'grinding' you're doing it wrong.

I haven't played a shaman yet but from what I've heard it doesnt pick up until after the 2nd stratum which is when you unlock legendary titles.

Harbinger is incredibly strong but all his skills seem to require miasma armor to set up.

Botanist is one of the better healing classes with the ability to heal lines and party, and even the ability to overheal your guys and give them bonus hp for a while. If you want to land status instead you could also go poisoner to cause aoe status effects or single target status. Shaman will always be great for party/line buffs

So how does the bunker function exactly? is it a random chance it takes a hit, a taunting object in the fight or do two form a wall the enemy must attack first?

I'm on the 4th stratum and I had no idea this item existed.

It basically acts as a taunt decoy that draws enemy fire to it, its also affected by defense buffs which make them much more durable despite them having 10 hp. I hear leveling up bunker actually isn't such a bad idea, especially with some of the attacking bunkers you get later on, but the skill which allows you to fire your cannon while also using a defense skill from a previous turn is pretty good as well.

I use Necro Wraiths to tank bosses/FOEs because they add attacks for Masurao/Blade Dancer Hell Slash to proc from. I pretty much just use Dragoon for Full Guards for my underleveled (by the post game) mapping party, so they don't fall over on the first turn before the trash mobs do. They just don't offer enough offense.

Advanced is the standard difficulty. It always has been since they introduced multiple difficulty levels. They just added easy modes for casual while pretending that it's the default difficulty level.

Bunkers aren't affected by any buffs, but they get huge stat increases as you level them and only take a percentage of the damage. At level 10 they have 255 defense and only take 1% of damage, which is why they're durable. They also draw more aggro with higher level. Overall they're incredibly useful, though slightly less as you progress due to party-wide and piercing attacks. You also get a free one most of the time with auto-bunker so the TP cost is largely irrelevant. Not that it's very high in the first place.

Nigger they (shield bearers at least) are tanks, not a fucking DPS class. Their job is to let your damage dealer classes go full glass cannon without a care for survival. That said, they aren't as good at it as the tanks in previous games, since they lack some sort of party guard/bravery's gift/hit taker equivalent.

EO players in general like to shit on tanks, but the fact is that a well built tank allows your party to take on enemies far above what your level would otherwise allow. The only exception is hyper offence gimmick parties, but those rely on shutting down an enemy and burning them down before they get to act again. And while parties like that can be a lot of fun, they hinge on RNG procs and RNG in general. If the FOE or boss battle doesn't go the way you want right from the start there is almost no way to make a recovery.

I miss the Untold protector and its absurdly powerful bravery's gift. That thing allowed me to take down some enemies long before I would otherwise have been able to. The other classes could completely abandon survivability and just do what they do best.

I found them pretty good. They just need massive level investment so they can actually keep up their miasma armor. Max level on auto-miasma, and/or miasma-on-debuff. You gotta go hard on both of those skills or you're wasting turns and a huge chunk of HP inefficiently casting the main skill itself. After that, you're all golden. I went with the offensively orientated master title, Deathbringer or whatever, and it was pretty groovy. Gave them two more options for inflecting ailments, so in total they were capable of paralyze, curse, poison, panic, and instant-death, all on line-hit for relatively cheap TP cost, while also buffing themselves each time they successfully hit someone with an ailment.

Overall, they were great for clearing a wide variety of trash mobs, not so great at fighting FOE/boss. For that, I unfortunately found their main role relegated to trying to inflict an ailment, inflicting debuffs for someone else to take advantage of, and generally just using items as a support (since they were fast and I had a Shaman and couldn't heal binds/ailments.) Still a pretty fun and useful class.

Yes, and I'd agree with you for the other EOs, but they're weak in V. Wraiths can attack, proc paralyze, proc Hell Slash, tank 100% of a rounds attacks (and eat the ensuing Hell Slash), then fucking respawn immediately and do it again. Meanwhile Dragoons suck up TP like a motherfucker and can't even taunt good.
I can see having to use one on whatever the level 99 post-game boss is (not there yet), but only because they can be effective as Brounis and Hygeia's/Aegis are good racials for bosses. Maybe I'm missing something because I stopped messing with them sometime around level 30 but I don't see the point besides Mana Guard being helpful early game when your botanist/shaman isn't fully rolling yet.

it's dead jim

Would it be a good idea to swap the races of my Fencer and Masurao? A dodge-oriented guy doesn't really need defense and Therians get an extra evasion boost, and a guy getting hit on the front lines could use some extra defense.

It would certianly be more optimal for the Fencer. You'd have to think about the Masurao though, it's a purely offensive oriented class so the loss of some strength, agility and TP would hurt it quite a bit. It would become more well rounded, but that would make it less effective at its primary role.