>Beginner's guide >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER 11TH
LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO GO
Please contribute to the wiki if you can

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/GDHeqaEY
pastebin.com/raw/4TmU2AxY
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BkrdWVDsVxRFF3amk5cGVHekk
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5JCCPBPxcOE-Ig-AdtVt049GmlqfixV1ro4kHjIPb2QjY7g/viewform?usp=sf_link
un4seen.com/petite/
hooktube.com/watch?v=w6TXaf4PD-g
hooktube.com/watch?v=tUy_zDY4e18
www78.zippyshare.com/v/PCXT5HqX/file.html
docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/date and time/delta_time.html
blog.wolfire.com/2009/07/linear-algebra-for-game-developers-part-1/
docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/development/compiling/compiling_with_mono.html
godot.readthedocs.io/en/2.1/learning/features/math/vector_math.html
enhex.itch.io/hellbreaker
joelonsoftware.com/2000/11/08/painless-bug-tracking/
github.com/PistonDevelopers/piston):
github.com/gfx-rs/gfx),
github.com/sebcrozet/kiss3d):
github.com/sebcrozet/nphysics):
github.com/slide-rs/specs):
store.steampowered.com/app/731320/Speebot/
store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=keyreal
doctard.itch.io/
enhex.itch.io/
nononick.itch.io/
ika.itch.io/
shodanon.itch.io/
dawnbreez.itch.io/
8agdg.wikidot.com/everyday-life
8agdg.wikidot.com/occultus
8agdg.wikidot.com/demo-days
8agdg.wikidot.com/moonman-doom
wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18838-ponies-ascendant-alpha-10/
wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/443-tutorials-guides/
wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22638-hyrule-conquest/
fablesoflaetus.com/110release/
itch.io/jam/ruins/rate/187403
vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/#B
github.com/aseprite/aseprite
youtube.com/channel/UCeZLO2VgbZHeDcongKzzfOw/videos
katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/bake-normal-maps.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

user WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS IS WAY TOO SPOOKY
But you wanna know something even spookier?
My lack of progress.
haha

Where as I am making a lot of progress on projects that aren't my game.

Looking for a good robust color palette that's better than an NES and has like 256 colors or less

Postan today's progress

Also after watching a bunch of streams of Odyssey while working I noticed that Mario's camera doesn't follow the character at all times, but rather seems to Lerp to Mario only when he's touching the ground.

I swear to god this took me like 5 hours to implement and the solution was incredibly simple and I feel like a fucking idiot

My progress is even worse

ITS WORKING THOUGH

I found this works btw

public bool IsInLocomotionPivotStopTransition() { transitionInfo = animator.GetAnimatorTransitionInfo(0); //Debug.Log ("StateInfo is " + stateInfo.fullPathHash + " LocomotionId is " + m_LocomotionId); return transitionInfo.IsName("Locomotion -> PivotR Stop") || transitionInfo.IsName("Locomotion -> PivotL Stop"); }

No idea what any of this means but I'm glad you got it done

Soon™

who dis

Really weird almost hacky bullshit

pastebin.com/raw/GDHeqaEY

pastebin.com/raw/4TmU2AxY

I'm unsure if using a timer was the best way to go about this tbh

It had a timer, and because reasons, I had to change into a value that is interpreted.

But yes, I did need it as a timer, because movement is strictly tile-based with no interpolation

New Teag game? Godspeed, user.

On the offchance anyone missed it, this is the current test demo for a game I'm working on. Its a simple, linear action platformer inspired by Castlevania(difficulty and all)

If you'd like to play, you can download it here. It contains the first two stages in their current forms
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BkrdWVDsVxRFF3amk5cGVHekk

There's also a feedback survey here that Id appreciate
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5JCCPBPxcOE-Ig-AdtVt049GmlqfixV1ro4kHjIPb2QjY7g/viewform?usp=sf_link

Consider this my Halloween contribution. The video I've embedded is technically from a later stage but you get the idea.

Until it all comes tumbling down.

It won't come tumbling down because the gem logic is still fucked

Why not unity?

Placeholder sprites for the melee weapon.

Actually, no, I'll call 'em voxelated 16-bit graphics and sell it as "retro-inspired" on Steam.

You could write your own engine and learn a lot in the process, the time difference between waiting for Godot 3.0 then learning how to use Godot might not be much compared to learning 3D programming and writing the engine.
It's hard. There's some things like inverse kinematics and collision detection that may really drive you crazy.
Compare that with being driven crazy by the lack of documentation for [insert pre-made engine here] and lack of understanding of exactly what is going on beneath the hood, and choose wisely.

That's a pretty strong brat.

What does it mean?

collision detecting is satanic

Those fags who were talking during the last stream never stopped working on it.

Objects should pass through each other just like God intended.

Because Sigma II isn't going to be ready for demo day, obviously, I decided to make a small game to post so that I have something to show off. I started working on this last night, it's obviously programmed in C11 and uses OpenGL 1.1. It is packed in a self contained exe and only takes 160kb of space since I run it through a compressor.

Make it like Boppin

Crowbars usually weigh only about four/five pounds, didn't think that'd be much of an issue.

No, you are driving the helicopter. There will be a part where you drop commies out of it, don't worry about that.
Did you think the game is communist? The rouge commander is the bad guy.

Run the resulting EXE through this: un4seen.com/petite/
And see what kind of results you get out of it.

Fuck, nevermind. I get 12mb RAM usage, the resulting exe is only like 60 kb to begin with

You know, honestly, after trying to write up a decent reason for why I dislike it so much, the only reason I could decently come up with is: Everyone uses it, and that bothers me. But that's pretty contrarian and ridiculous, so maybe I'll give Unity3D another go?

You need to bring it down to 96k and get into the demoscene.

Give it a shot man

it's almost like they announced it would be ready far too early intentionally as if to use "waiting for godot" as their catchphrase

As much as I gripe about Unity causing me issues in my 2D project, it's actually really robust and not bad at all. Also there are TONS of tools made by users that are available for free/low cost that can seriously help speed development along. Its not a bad engine, it just has some things about it that suck.

Polycode binaries are out

bit of a newfag here but I know some shit and this thread is interesting.
maybe Holla Forums can guess what I'm trying to recreate in BGE

Is it Linerider?

The only complaint I have about it is that the Animator has been broken for months and nobody seems to care about fixing it.

The thing crashes, freezes, sometimes it stops me from clicking on anything and gives me random errors. A few months ago I couldn't touch the animator without my camera (which is completely separate from the animator) breaking until I restarted unity.

Everything else is top notch though

I thought you meant they finally hit 1.0. Ah, man.

Sorry. It was an old shitpost from years ago

Can anyone recommend a good flowchart/diagram creator that isn't web based?

Christ, and here's me thinking the NES having 48 colors wasn't enough
Guess I need to GET GOOD

I had some decent luck with VioletUML

It's been what, two years? Is polycode worth using now anyways? I remember using one of the first linux binaries and it was pretty underwhelming, the GUI was fucking garbage.

Well I got the gems to fall the right way… sort of.
It's flipped and I have no idea how do it proper.

Things finally seem like they snap into place properly and have an order to them that is mostly infallible if you do it through the methods I made. Good shit

Made a ton of good progress tonight

Mein Neger

Got a shitty whip in the works.

That's from Das Boot? I literally ripped it out of "Anime Music For DOOM" on /idgames, it was right next to a shitty MIDI version of "what is love".

Yeah it is.
hooktube.com/watch?v=w6TXaf4PD-g
hooktube.com/watch?v=tUy_zDY4e18
KOSOVO JE SRPSKU

…This is not what I thought you meant

I-is this gamedev?

I should try and find MIDI versions of these songs to put in the game. Or something as cool as the das boot theme.

This is Linux. I asked my friend if he wanted to try running my game and he ended up having to install a huge amount of random things, for a whole hour because for some reason his thing didn't even have basic shit like OpenGL installed, even though he was running the newest Debian.

Is my mp4 corrupted? Because firefox won't play it. I can view it in mpv and it works just fine. I'd hate to upload shit that doesn't work

Nevermind, figured it out. Had to specify a certain pix_fmt for ffmpeg or else it would default to one that doesn't work.

compiling is gamedev

works in Iridium and probably other Chromium variants

LMAO

(checked)
wew fam. Here is the midi version of it, 2 versions.
www78.zippyshare.com/v/PCXT5HqX/file.html

Yes, it is.
Compiling packages is going to become something you do a lot if you start cross-compiling your game engine for various platforms.

For example, I have a proof-of-concept (AKA incomplete) game engine that builds for Linux, Windows, Gamecube, Wii, GBA, NDS, 3DS, and Android.
I run my Linux system in a hacky way where I build some (but not all) packages from source.
Then for my cross-compile environments I have to cross-compile any packages my engine is dependent on once for Windows, once for the PowerPC-based platforms (GCN/Wii), and once more for the ARM-based platforms (GBA/NDS/3DS).
I find this very fun to do btw

What's better to code on? ARM or PowerPC?

ARM. PowerPC is an outdated architecture, ARM is not.

Most of the platform-specific code for the kind of game engine I just described, however, is on the GPU side rather than CPU.
C/C++ are portable programming languages when used correctly.
On the other hand, the Gamecube, Wii, GBA, NDS, and 3DS do not really support anything portable like OpenGL or Vulkan (except in the official SDK, where for some of these platforms you can get shitty and slow GL support that isn't worth it anyways), you're best off writing low-level rendering code for these platforms.

About two weeks ago I upgraded my PC for the sole purpose of cutting down those compile times. And I didn't have a shit CPU to begin with (Xeon E3-1231v3). Cost me a lot of money, but was worth it. I almost cut the compile times of the Unreal Engine in half.

I swear C++ was invented by kikes just to sell super expensive CPUs.

Template classes and namespaces aren't exactly great for compile times when you have a gigantic coding project…

nah, sonic

Templates in general seem like a bad plan unless you are writing a library for others to use. I was reading through the Qt coding practices page and I think I like their methods quite a bit. It's a very realistic and practical attitude towards OOP, templates, and using C++ in a sane way.

tfw graduated and need to find a job but my portfolio sucks so I can't really demonstrate my knowledge well. I'm working on something at home but my productivity is pretty low unfortunately.

What's your specialty?

Programming, mainly focusing on network programming the last couple years (in my solo project) but I wouldn' t say I'm an expert at that yet at all.

Last internship I worked (I'd say pretty professionally) as general gameplay programmer in UE4 with C++ but all that work stays within that company (the game is not even announced yet). Same goes for the internship before that, but that was C++ debugging and Unity C# stuff, sounds nice but nothing I can show code of to potential employers. … and my old school projects are pretty terribly written code due to deadlines and being inexperienced.

*(network programming in games)

Maybe you should try to program some base netcode templates and sell them on the UE/Unity store.

theres your mistake. I know a guy in san franspico and he's unemployed half the time and overworked the other

Update: It's been 5 months since my last update

Even if you can't name the project, you can still put it on your resume. Just lost out your responsibilities and what you did. Include a reference (usually your boss), and you're good.

code me my dream games I half baked up while I was in college on a shitty video game design course because I couldn't figure out applied maths and also gave up on everything due to medical conditions and general depression which came about because my ex ran away from home to die some place tbh

you're hired
being an ideasguy only pays $200,000/year starting but I'm confident you'll work your way up

A thread or two ago, someone mentioned that they'd solved an issue with character movement jitter in GameMaker by making their character move every other frame. I tried that, but it made it look even worse. My "solution" involves scaling things to double size, but that's retarded. Would you mind showing me the code for your solution?

Did you try keeping your position as a float and only flooring the values you use for drawing the sprites rather than flooring the actual position?

Are you talking about upscaling? I wrote a shader for that a million years ago, but I'm banned and would have a hard time finding it.

That's a lot of work, and I doubt I'll make something that's more worthwhile then anything already out there or included in the engines. But it's a good suggestion the broad sense (developing plugins etc for those stores, might bring in some cash and good for the portfolio).

yeah of course, but a man's gotta do what he's gotta do. the actual act of working on a game is not so bad, it's just that the industry in general and most management is total shit, I'll just have to deal with that. In my experience, it can be pretty comfy but it really depends on with whom you work and what you're working on.

Yes, I'll do that. But I've noticed code samples weigh in heavily when they evaluate applicants, so I'll still have to put up some recent work to trump my old shitty student code.

I hope I didn't come across as some whiny piece of shit, just wanted to share a feel. I think as long I don't procrastinate my solo project I'll be alright.

Maybe not better but affordable, you could save some people a lot of work by just writting a template and giving some documentation at low cost.

Might have been me.
It was a very specific issue, though, where the diagonal speed was as uneven value, so it would look bad when interpolation was enabled. What I did was alternate the speed between 1 and 2 every frame, to get an average speed of 3.
Literally just "if speed = 2 speed = 1, if speed = 1 speed = 2".

Are you using the in-room Follow Object settings as the camera? Because that would make the HUD jitter when moving and I made my own camera as a result. Might be what's causing the issue as well.

That's what I did when I used GM, just add a draw event and add Draw_Sprite(sprite_index, image_index, floor(x), floor(y)); or draw_sprite_ext if you need scaling and shit.

I recommend you broaden your horizons beyond gamedev. There are plenty of other software sectors that use C# and C++ which aren't nearly as hellish. As long as you have a good handle on the language and you brush up on data structures and algorithms, you should get a position there just fine.
If you're really dead-set on working in gamedev, I recommend either writing plugins, or working on your own personal experiments. Either way, have code samples to show an employer your skills.
And don't get too down on yourself. You're doing better than 90% of the world, and you won't be automated out of a job for decades.

Wouldn't that give an average of 1.5?

Jesus, what the fuck are you doing? The actual solution for jittery movement is using delta_time to account for inconsistent timing, not whatever pseudo-frame step calculation bullshit that was.

docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/date and time/delta_time.html

Multiply your character's speed by the amount of time that has passed between the last frame, as in the example in the link:

speed = spd * (ot - delta_time);

Where spd is your desired speed, and ot is the previous delta_time that was calculated last time it was called. *That* is how you solve jittery movement, it's done the same way across every game engine like Unity and Unreal, just with a different syntax.

If I rememer correctly b5f6c7's original problem wasn't related to that at all, he wanted to only move with integers to prevent the character from turning blurry when interpolation was turned on (which he needed because there was gaps between tiles if he didn't have it), but diagonal movement speed needs to be 1.414 instead of two. Instead he should'v just done what I said in and actually move normalize(x_speed + y_speed)

So store the player's real position in floats and just set the player position to (round(player_x), round(player_y))

I don't know why you're replying to me or considering neither of us were talking about frame based movement.

th-thanks

Finally, my own clone. Now neither of us will be virgins!

What? I thought the error was due to floating point rounding errors

you feel it too?

If you're having trouble with math, David Rosen has a good article on math for games:
blog.wolfire.com/2009/07/linear-algebra-for-game-developers-part-1/

thanks although >he who consorts with beasts

I wasn't around last thread, my b. In that case I misread "jittery movement" as "something I'm moving isn't moving the same distance every frame." What I was getting at was that rounding the player's position wouldn't fix the underlying problem of movement tied to the game's frame rate.
I'm retarded, carry on

Is there still no way to speed or slow down a specific animation (not the whole layer) in Unity?
I'm finding a lot of answers from a few years ago, but I'm sure I already managed to do this a long time ago, although I can't seem to find out how.

What engine did divinity os1/2 use?

unity

This was actually pretty useful. I knew about dot and cross products, but not why they mattered and their use

when can I expect c# in Godot? I've read the news update saying it was coming in Alpha 2, but how far away is that release?

What platform? I could try and compile it for you. The instructions are here (C# support requires mono):
docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/development/compiling/compiling_with_mono.html

I'm on windows 7

32 or 64 bit?

godot.readthedocs.io/en/2.1/learning/features/math/vector_math.html
same shit with different flavor

It took 5 hours but it looks good and you got some nice digits. It was all worth it.

64 bit

Didn't even notice this post at first.
It looks really good. Camera can break or break a 3d game

Dunno about OS1, but OS2 apparently uses a self-made engine, since it's "Powered by Divinity Engine 3."

brb making my own engine

Is it done yet?

deltatime and framerate independence are a pain in the fucking ass. why does everybody on this board whine about having 120/222/9999999 FPS? 60 FPS is good enough, fuck you if you disagree

going back to school was a mistake

why is the fov so small? if the jump is fixed distance i hope you die in a fire

that is ridiculous and you are dumb
i don't use it because i can't into real coding

progress is slow..

It's one of the things that separates professionals and amateurs.

I agree honestly.
The difference between 60 and anything higher is really REALLY hard to notice.

What's the proper way to do it?

It's almost like these things are connected somehow but don't let that stop you from sharing your shit opinion, faggot.

How would I know? I'm an amateur.

any tips for things to do on release day?

A remarkable amount of work goes into a good camera. A camera pivot that lerps around a point that stays in front of the character based on motion seems to work pretty well (I'm not sure if there's a name for this method).

I've never released a game, but I'd imagine apart from actually releasing your game, you should make sure you've set up a system to handle bug reports and such. If there's any problems with your game on launch you'll want to fix that shit asap.

Mine is very similar, although the point I'm using for reference is inside the Character's gameobject.
There's also a lot of just trial and error to find just the right Lerp values which is an absolute pain in the ass

Didn't mean to post a video, that was for a question post that I was writing but I figured out myself

Rate my logo

It's a bit of a mess

It's supposed to evoke the imagery of a jackal and a pyramid. Can you see it now?

thanks as well

too simple tbh

I did et a jackal out of it but not a pyramid tbh

With the right title/name that would probably come across fine. But there's too many unique colors I think. Most effective logos usually have 1-3, 4 at most.
You could also do with an additional element, like an eye for example.

60 FPS may be good enough, but higher FPS is better.

I think the jackal is a bit of a stretch and the pyramid isn't there at all.

Jackal and a pyramid isn't at all what comes to mind. When I first saw it, I had to squint real bad because I had no damn clue what it was supposed to be.
If you didn't tell me, I'd swear it's a logo for an IT company or something otherwise generic.

It's almost there, but I think the bottom half throws it off, might be a problem with the amount of whitespace. Does something like pic related look better to you?

it's anoath shoah

The right half was triangular and tiered, that's where the "pyramid" comes from. It's not the main focus of the logo, but goes with the jackal imagery.

How's this? The name is Jackalsoft Games

think it's still 2simple, I'm just not a fan of clip art tier shit as a starting point tbh

That's definitely better, although I liked having the three shades of grey on the right side of it. Having a third grey makes it break up the amount of black you have there, and it would make another line to draw the viewer's eye to the center line in the image and balance it out.

Released Hellbreaker beta on itch.io:
enhex.itch.io/hellbreaker

Looking for some feedback and to find any issues before releasing on Steam.
Especially to test the modding support.

Alright, I'll go with then

Now that I got collision working 100% of the time I'm ready to move onto finally making the fucking pong. I just have to questions before I actually start coding it.
I'm currently using AABB. It'll work well enough depending on the frequency of collision checks and the speed of the ball hitting thing. Is it the best option though?
I'm planning on just putting a simple ai that just tries to keep the ball on it's center with customizable center area and speed. Does that sound good enough or should I just not?

So, if I use input from my keyboard with WASD for movement, the value slowly rises to 1 because I set sensitivity to 3.

BUT if I use a controller and move the joystick, the value will automatically go to 1, and if I set smaller Sensitivity Values it'll just clamp the input value.

What the fuck do I do? Lerp seems to do the exact same thing.

before any of you decides to make a needlessly complicated mess
joelonsoftware.com/2000/11/08/painless-bug-tracking/

I just use github's thing

So apparently that's just something Controllers do and there's no way to fix it, I got around this problem by lerping my movement vector instead

It's like 2 am here
I'll play this tomorrow and let you know

This looks better, but I still don't see the pyramid

There's literally no universe I don't shorten that to Jackoff Games.

Sorry, I want to establish myself before I work on a lewd game

I finally got a new harddrive so I can make progress again.

I changed how being on a wall works. Before being on a wall just meant if you are near a wall and in the air you can wall jump. Now you actually stick to the wall, and an animation plays depending on if the wall is to the left or the right. When stuck to the wall you can also slide along it even if it's uneven. This had the unintended side effect of letting you slide the whole way around a wall, which turned out pretty fun so it's a feature now.

The best mechanics are usually the unplanned ones

I'm liking where this is going but you gotta turn that gravity waaaaay up imo

How did you accomplish this?

wb m8, always a great feeling to be able to get back to dev'in again after being blocked from progress
that's actually pretty neat, and looks like fun, nice

Please don't do this. It's a really bad idea and I'll still call you Jackoff Games regardless.

I think you should probably make it so that 90-degree corners make you fall off the wall, because the camera tracking doesn't keep your character in view when that happens. Also I agree with that you need like triple the gravity.

Speed this up a bunch, move the camera closer and you've got an excellent base for a cuhrazy action game. I'm serious, a DMC style over the top action game with wall sliding as its primary mechanic actually sounds like a lot of fun. Like Vanquish but even better

Ive been liking the stuff you've been posting, I'll definitely give it a play once I get a chance.

probably the same concept as the attached .png
was written up by one of the regulars here (i think the zelda-clone user)

Good call. I doubled the gravity and if feels much nicer. Now I have to split up gravity into air gravity and ground gravity because you run down hills way too fast now.

The camera is totally manual right now but eventually I could give it a command to turn when you go around a corner, but yeah going around a 90 degree bend is a little weird.

First I do a sphere trace to his next location to find if he's still touching a wall, and what the normal is. The sphere lets me see around corners without doing a bunch of rays. Then I project his velocity onto the plane of the wall just to make sure you don't fall away from it. Finally I move him and rotate him based on the wall normal and his velocity.

Thanks.

Minor update, but I finally got my parallax and auto scrolling backgrounds to stay aligned with the pixel grid. It took a lot more effort than I thought it would but finally everything aligns.

looks like modern art fucking deep n shieet

Unpleasant to the eye, because the shapes allude to 3d planes, but the perspectives don't match up. Also not very memorable.

How should I go about creating an inventory and skill list in Godot? Should I be using autoloads?

I guess while we're talking about logos, here are some logos for the fictional gun companies in my game.

I realized just now that I messed up the kerning on the Westlake Arms logo. Fixed it now. Sage for double post.

Im struggling to find a style for my game. Every time I think of something that might be good I realize it might not be fun to play with. I always lean towards semi-realistic, only to play retro games and find their overly stylized visuals way more enjoyable. Especially with things like, fists growing 3x the size during punches, cannons expanding at the end when shooting, etc…

The electricity died again. The local power grid is rotten, any wind will cause it to go out.
I managed to archive the last thread but if any of you decided to participate in the effort, I'd very much appreciate that. I can't guarantee I'll always be able to do it.

Running on generator power and being cut off from the internet has its positives, though.
I managed to write a sensible item damage/speed generator for items. The item descriptions don't lie.
I also managed to coordinate damage dealt by characters with animation frames. Those Unity animation events are pretty cool. Especially for triggering sounds to play at the right time.
I'm glad I didn't waste that time on bullshit. Diesel is expensive

Pretty sure that's just collision handling, not wall running.

I just added a request to the thread template to archive the old thread after you make a new one. Can't guarantee people will do it, but at least it's worth asking.

thanks, my man. That's a great idea.

From the logos I'd assume BK makes tacticool shit, GC are well-established and known for reliable firearms and Westlake makes hunting/precision rifles with wood stocks.
Did I get it right?

damn, looks better and better. sorry I forgot to add you to the wiki

Jackalsoft would suffice. And unfortunately that logo isn't too pleasant to look at. I personally can't stand these modernist, minimalistic logos but if you insist on that style, I'd at least try to make the logo resemble an outline of a Jackal's head. A suggestion of two pointy ears at least.

am I being baited?
Speebot owes its tight gameplay to the super high framerate. Tetradev also kept his frames in the 200s on a toaster. The higher framerate, the more responsive the game.

Whatever happened to that one game project anons were making that was like Robots fighting DBZ style? It was a super fast beat-em-up and I remember fields of long grass where they would fight, and the engine was made from scratch.

The 'Ben Kriss Firearms' logo is a really hard to decipher

BK and Westlake are spot on. The bolt action rifle I have in the game is made by Westlake and has wood furniture. BK makes a black polymer SMG with picatinny rails and a holographic sight.
You're half right with GC. They are known for reliable firearms but they are the newest company. Checking my timeline turns out they are like 40 years old when the game takes place, so you can decide for yourself if 40 years is long enough to be "well established" as a gun company.

You're just making me want to give it lore like "Ben Kriss was a talented machinist but left the trade to brew beer, his true passion. However a war forced him back into machining and 'Ben Kriss Brewery' became 'Ben Kriss Firearms'. The logo pays homage to the companies past."

Then you don't want to make a game, you just want to be popular. Don't even think about making a game with that Yandev mentality.

yeah, okay

Well, what I'm working on is neither lewd nor a meme game, but I'm still confident. I think it's high quality enough to be impressive in its own right.

You could try being a based™ developer from Holla Forums© like keyreal instead, then people will love you even if your game isn't anything special.

I stand by my words. You'll never make a game with that attitude.

where is your game?

In development.

Not comparable. Yes, a lot of people are just ideaguys with their heads in the clouds, unable to judge their own limitations because they've never encountered them. I was there, and still am at times.
But do you see them bitching about popularity? Not often. They just wanna make a game. You come in here, like the attention starved child that you are, bitching about how you'll never be the next Toby Fox. Boo fucking hoo, mate. That's not what gamedev is about. All those people you shat on? They have their dream games, however idealistic those dreams may be, and they inquire as to how possible it is. You don't even present an idea, you just immediately fish for attention. What did you expect would happen? People would jump to coddle you and tell you that you're perfect and that anything you shit out will be gold?

And you know why you piss me off? Because I know for a fact that next to no one will give a fuck about my game. It's an RPG about talking to people, how do you make that sound interesting? Any attempts of mine end up sounding either way too boring or way too edgy. But fuck it. I love comfy games, and I love comfy worlds, so that what I'm making. And if someone likes it? Good, great, I'll be happy. But if not? I won't cry, or bitch, or beg for attention like you. I'll just make another fucking game. Because that's what I love doing. It's what makes my life worth living, frankly.

You don't want to make a game. You want to build up a 401k. You want to pay rent. That's what you want. The fucking shekels, you greedy disgusting kike. You are every single SanFran cock-sucking, Undertale-worshipping, flannel-shirt wearing, "interactive experience"-making developer to ever exist. Kindly remove yourself from this industry and go ruin something else.

You do realize Undertale is an RPG about talking to people, right? Unless the game you’re making is a parody of that, you’re the pot meeting the kettle.

life's too short to worry about those types of things.

I'm not a dev at all, but what kind of game are you trying to make? I assume action based on what you've said. This might sound stupid, but if you have any action figures, try playing with them like a kid would, and noting what level of fantasy you feel good about granting these real physical objects.

As a creator, you must create what you know, and since you can only really know yourself, that's who you need to appeal to (not other people whose thoughts on anything remain in question). But you'll only be able to if you do, in fact, know yourself. You have to have reached some definite conclusions about your taste, so that you have some baseline standards for what is acceptable in your game without having to think about it too much. The competence that you possess regarding the subject of you will transform into confidence about what your game should be, and from there you can just focus on how to make it.

I hope that makes some sense, and is useful. I don't know anything about making games, but your indecision on this matter struck me as being related to divided loyalties (yourself vs other people); wanting to impress others, but not knowing what will impress them. You do know what impresses you, and chances are someone else will have the same opinion, so just focus on you.

Has any of you goys tried modding 0 AD a bit or something? I am wondering if its possible at all to have a modern war themed mod on this game or something.

Morning lads.

sleep well lover?

so how do you handle equipping items? all the tutorials that i have found have the player walking around with each weapon equipped but invisible until you swap to it?

No, actually. Slept like arse. 2 coffees and 1 cuppa already in this morning.

If you only have a few weapons in the game, turning them just invisible no problem, but making them all invisible if you have like 100+ weapons then its a memory waste. If you have a large range of weapons and equip in the game, you can avoid that by creating/destroying unneeded weapon gameobjects.

Basically:

idk i was just playing with the idea of giving some weapons a length and girth stat that would modify the weapons reach & damage while the weight that is derived would slow the weapon speed proportionally. so i thought that the most reasonable would be to just have the weapon exist in world space until picked up/ parented to a weapon socket on the player.

pretty easy to derive wall running from the example of wall shimming as it follows the same exact approach.
doesn't take an einstein to infer this

I remember that too.
It's called "we shall wake", and their post is still on the old/forgotten video game promo board >>>/vad/

calling all nodevs
On a related note, do u anons think we should have a thread on the agdg board for posting the demos?
It's probably a pragmatic approach to have a designated -less transient- thread as to archive the demos, with a promotion in the agdg cyclical within the OP during demo day (new thread on the agdg board per new demo day).
hell, maybe even mark would do a promo in the header on the eve of demo day?
The main idea is that we should provide a more permanent place to link demos, and to have a dedicated place to report bugs/feedback/etc for demos even after the agdg cyclical "demo day" has passed.
The thread on the agdg board would then serve as the "goto" place if an user gets around to demoing a game without having to risk having their input completely thrown to the wind (i.e. a dev isn't there for a agdg cyclical, their input goes unnoticed in the agdg cyclical, etc).
It would also be handy to have a dedicated thread as we can provide useful advice, and start creating a format for those demo day events (new type of thread OP, new resources, etc).
We need to add advice/resources to the demo day page like how to do bug tracking, example demo op format (such as linking to your game's wiki page, provide a bug reporting method, etc)

morning user, hope u have another productive dev day

I do like the simple geometry myself but I think I can agree the logo isnt quite there yet. I did finalize the name, though, and bought a 2 year domain that just resolves to tumblr. Grabbed a bunch of related urls and social media sites (itchio, twitter, etc)

I think thats a great idea. For permanent archiving we have the wiki, but for more accessibility, I think what you described works fine

Having a dedicated /agdg/ thread would be nice, we'd need to make sure it was in OPs though because it gets fuck all traffic.

exactly, it needs to be accessible (that's the word I was looking for).
For permanent archiving the wiki is perfect, and if anons link their game's wiki page they can provide a better overview of their game on their game's wiki page; so anons can look at the game's premise/progress vids/etc before they invest their time into playing it.
It's also good training for actual release.
As the post in the agdg cyclical during demo day is the "elevator pitch", and your game's wiki page demo section is the "ok you're listening, here's what it's all about, u interested?"

agreed, we would definitely need to advert the dedicated agdg board's demo day thread in the cyclical (until the next demo day, would be my presumption).

I'm getting ready to just like make game.
What's the relationship between my entity component system, my 3d renderer, my game engine, my windowing system, my physics engine, my netcode system, and input system? What overlaps with what? As far as I understand, the renderer, and physics model are dispatched separately by the ECS. Is the device polling (getting mouse movement, key strokes etc) part of the physics model or does that act separately by passing messages to the physics model by manipulating entities?
This sounds like a weird question, but I'm looking at all the different tools at my disposal and trying to figure out how they all fit together because it sounds like if you want to do this right, there's a lot of moving parts and figuring out how everything fits together right from the start is really important.

I want to write it in Rust, because I really enjoy that language and it's what I'm most comfortable with. It's going to be a pretty simple first person sandbox, the scope is very narrow and I've narrowed down what I want to get out of it to something like a multiplayer programming sandbox, where the physics engine is exposed to players who can make scripts which interact with it by creating and manipulating basic physics entities. Trying to see if I can recreate and extend what I enjoyed the most from playing garrysmod back in 2007-2010.

So far I'm looking at:
piston (github.com/PistonDevelopers/piston): to provide the windowing, network, events, and scripting,
gfx-rs (github.com/gfx-rs/gfx), or kiss3d (github.com/sebcrozet/kiss3d): to provide the graphics. I don't know how powerful of a graphics API I will need, having something as easy as kiss3d sounds nice for getting something off the ground, but I'm going to shoot myself when I get used to using something so basic and then have to rip it out and replace it with something more complex like gfx, then discover I don't have a powerful enough framework to support it.
nphysics (github.com/sebcrozet/nphysics): to provide physics, seems to be best in class.
specs (github.com/slide-rs/specs): for my ECS, seems to be best in class.

I've never used an ECS before but it sounds like it solves a lot of the issues I usually have when I try to separate out my gameplay logic, render code, and end up with this difficult to traverse wall between them when it comes to pushing messages from the main loop to the render loop.

Thanks, mate.

do it in this style.

shoulda made that three cuppahs tbh

How is rust?
I've never used it, but I've heard the compiler magic handles recursive algorithms really well.
How does it compare to say, C#, or C++?

shitty style tbh

tbh fam I think you're woke af.

I've injected my 50th tea today tbh

I don't know about recursive algorithms in particular.
I also don't know shit about C#.
I do know however that it is a much better developer experience than C++ because of a couple reasons:
Compiler is much more helpful, borrow checker and affine types make handling memory in a safe way so easy sometimes I forget I'm not using a GC, a very powerful type system that leverages interfaces (rust calls them traits) to get some of the best parts of inheritance without the baggage, much better tooling in general (no more cmakelists.txt god please I still have PTSD), actual module resolution and language level package manager. Also leverages functional paradigms like results instead of exceptions, generally just throws all the baggage from 15 years of OOP in the trash.

I'd say it's not the best choice for game devving. If you use C# or C++ you'll have access to a lot more bindings for GUI libraries and the like, as well as more resources for troubleshooting in general. Also, be prepared for insane compile times thanks to cargo, but apparently that's being worked on. Basically, unless you're already familiar with rust I wouldn't bother with it.

Rust has a lot of good features, but it's not well suited for game development, especially if you've never written it before.

You don't….you don't inject the mar-i-jah-whuanah do you, user? need to focus, rising…

what would that be? retro-future cyborg grecko-roman femidom?

Well, that would make sense for games with a sensible number of possible weapons. In a loot-based ARPG not so much. While currently only my maces are each 100% unique, I plan to have all items to have randomized looks to 'em.

When an item is picked up it gets placed off-map, in a place invisible to the camera. When it is placed in the character's hand, it becomes that hand's child object and its rigidbody isset to kinematic. It's a very simple system, actually. The only thing that actually gets animated is the character's invisible hand.

yep that's the idea. I don't expect the player to be able to carry more than a few dozen items in their inventory but there's plenty of stuff lying around on the ground. Diablo 2 destroys every item after 30 minutes of it not being picked up. We'll see how I can tweak that so the game won't become bloated.

Let's just say I don't expect AS MUCH SHIT as in the screenshot to clutter the screen at any time… Especially with the resulting FPS

oi mate you've well messed that up

yorkshire tea is shit tbh

interesting.
From an outside observer it sounds like its a bit early in development to be used for games.
Though, you actually use it so you'd know better than me.
I personally like the methodicalness of C++, though I don't use cmake, but for large scale projects I prefer something like C#.

gotcha, yeah i was mainly just curious

Write a pong game first using whatever physics and graphics engine you choose. Do this first. You will work out the input and update game loop.

FYI, that Rust physics library looks like some 13 year old copy-pasted Bullet3D into rust and did a shit job of it. But they are Rust coders. I guess it's to be expected.

Get out of here you fucking nettle, you've had enough victims.

o-oook…

It definitely is very early in development and there's little to no traction in game dev, the only reason I'd consider rust is because I don't really mind digging myself into dev hell, and my scope is pretty basic so I don't have heaps of requirements.
What do you mean the methodicalness of C++?

Thanks for posting that, fucking saved.

Just how it offers/encourages more low level control compared to C# or say python (even though in C# u can do unsafe/pointers/marshaling (unmanaged) memory/etc, but is frowned upon as "bad practice").
So like, how u have to be methodical while using it as it's a double edged sword; as say compared to a, by default, GC'd language.

humm, well, it's best to avoid headaches imo for gamedev as it's pretty encompassing in terms of required functionality.
though, it does need adopters, so u do u user

scope always changes during development in my experience

Thanks user. I hope we see more from them soon.

I like the idea of having a thread there for demos. The only issue is that the AGDG board isn't frequented very often.

agreed with your concern, look here

These last few days are going to be great.

My secondary monitor kept getting a row of garbled pixels on the top, then jumping images, so I got rid of it. Down to just one monitor and it BSOD'd on cdd.dll on wake up just today

If you need a cheap replacement immediately, hit a Goodwill near a higher income neighborhood. They often have decent, gets-the-job-done monitors for

It's hardly the first time I see Anons talk about that sort of stuff. Makes me wonder how shit crap the average /agdg/ devrig is. Mine is beefy.

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Potato research I did

I was thinking about the computers that Anons make their games on, not for.

tfw no beef

I-I'm sorry, user.

good idea on this, this type of info should be on the wiki

Mein negro. I'd like to get one someday to make sure my shit is reasonably toaster-friendly.

Here's a dumb question.

What role does the publisher play in the game's development and release?

anymore hardware survey places u guys know about?
so far i have steam, unity, and i found a UE thread community hw survey.
i looked at 3dmark but they just have top ranks, couldn't find a comprehensive, or useful list for generalized info.
i know there's a few more but can't find them atm

I have no money.

Usually the publisher provides funding for development and handles everything on the business side(Marketing, distribution of physical copies, etc). In the all too common and unfortunate circumstance, sometimes they issue executive orders that affect how the game is developed. Usually in an attempt to "broaden the audience" and by broaden the audience, they mean dumb down the game so that they can broaden their bank accounts.

Are there any non-pozzed publishers that don't fuck with the game's development?

You have a better CPU than me, if that makes you feel any better.
I'm stuck on a i5-750. And GTX 960 just like you.
Getting a new PC soon tho (FINALLY)

Devolver Digital and Humble Bundle I would guess are least likely to screw with development. If you are thinking bigger fish, then maybe SEGA. Though, they might want a bunch of DLC tacked on.

I wish we could all go back

Upgrading soon.
Hopefully

Alright. I'm working on a game focused on juxtaposing innocent minecrafty comfiness with gore, nudity and fucked up lovecraftian shit so publishers fucking with my game would make me kill myself.

found the glow in the dark nigger

What's a better symbol for time, a clock, stopwatch, or hourglass?

Hourglass implies time being a limited asset, or something being timed. The best symbol for time is a clock.

Clock is good for time. Stopwatch is good for elapsed time or countdown. Hourglass is good for countdown.

Level time will use hourglass, then

Added a status bar now

Fuck this shit, I'm still going to make it work for demo day.
Mark my words, November 11th I'm going to have something to show.

Not anymore. AMDGPU is the shit these days.
To be honest, Intel's FOSS Linux drivers have always had issues. They had an issue for like 6 years where GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER wouldn't store in a VAO for no reason at all, and they just didn't fix it for no reason. This bug was there for over 6 years, and is probably still there.

He made everything from the ground up, that's special.

I wouldn't trust humble bundle anymore, IGN bought them out.

I'm not really worried what other people think. The biggest issue is I don't think cartoonish graphics translate well to current graphics unless it's something like TF2, but n64/ps1 era which is what I'm thinking of, always looks like crap to me at a modern resolution. Especially if it's shit like ultra realistic shading + modern graphics.

At the same time I wanted to mix time periods that are vastly different (modern and ancient) which these types of games do so fluidly since they're heavily stylized, but if I did it and it stuck out like a sore thumb the only fix I can see is starting over.

N64 looks like shit because bad textures. Many ps1 games look better today on high resolutions than a lot of early 2000s titles do.

Well keep in mind the PSx and N64 have different texture filtering methods

You can pull objects now, sort of

So have you guys actually made any games?

Short answer: yes
Long answer: lurk moar faggot
Additional answer: play the Speedbot demo

Speebot*
store.steampowered.com/app/731320/Speebot/

They still look better overall at their crappy resolution. Not really a cartoon but pic related. I was checking this game out for Halloween, and in game on an actual ps1 it looks 10x creepier than the screenshots I found online. It's also one of the smallest resolution PS1 games I ever played. You can't really tell where the jagged corners of the model are because it blends together.

wanna play'em? Feel free to comment
store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=keyreal
doctard.itch.io/
enhex.itch.io/
nononick.itch.io/
ika.itch.io/
shodanon.itch.io/
dawnbreez.itch.io/
8agdg.wikidot.com/everyday-life
8agdg.wikidot.com/occultus

sorry if I missed someone

And imagine how many games you'll see on demoday. I really hope we can get some hype on I think we need to go radical and ask the mods permission to have a separate demo day thread here, for maximum exposure

Honestly that's the one game where you can make that point. Most other titles had to compress their textures to shit and back to fit them on the cartridges.

What's demo day?

8agdg.wikidot.com/demo-days

better start crunching to make it.
I will release SOMETHING. I have no idea if it will be playable even
my codefriend basically quit

Why hasn't anyone made a Moonman game while using liberal butthurt to market the game?

Because we make games, not Holla Forums propaganda.

There is already a moonman mod for skullshit. 8agdg.wikidot.com/moonman-doom

Because I can't do it justice.

McDonalds would shut that down immediately.

Readded object rotation for when they roll.
They need to keep rotating while they fall, stopping when they touch the ground. In order to do that, I need to finish ironing out the bugs in my positioning system, because a lot of shit depends on doing it right

Because when someone makes a game, it's generally because they want to make a real game, not beat a dead fucking horse. Get new memes, Moonman stopped being genuinely funny a long time ago.

Who cares? It's just fucking boring at this point. There's only so much fun that you can get out of triggering the libcucks. They're one-dimensional. It's like kicking a retarded dog and laughing at the yelping - it's gonna get real fucking boring real quick and at some point other people kicking the dog get more annoying than the retarded thing itself.

Because games that are made to propagate politics tend to flop. Gamergate happened because lefties tried to force their shit on gamers while disguising it as games, same would happen if it comes from the right. It has to be a game foremost, so you have to do it more subtle. Game > Propaganda, always keep this order in mind.

Forgot to post progress last night. Added height checking for projectile-entity collisions, started on projectiles having support for skill references so the skill that makes them can define functions for when a projectile updates, collides with something, expires, or whatever. Also messing around with having built in movement tech for speed boosting.

Still so much shit on my to do list to get done.

It's fucking heartbreaking when you spend hours getting something done and then you realize just how much more shit you need to work on.
Good job though, glad you decided to add the jump.

ALSO, this is kind of unrelated to strictly gamedev, but I'm doing some research into nostalgia and games to go along with the game I'm working on. Is there anybody here that would be interested in being interviewed in private about their experiences with 3D platformers? No names needed.

took a few days off to play Odyssey, and now I'm back to this. The Inferno Rifle replaces the plasma gun and right now it's pretty barebones but the plan is to make it passively build heat along with building heat while you fire it, and as you build heat, the gem lights up on fire, and then you can vent it with a massive heat wave altfire attack.

I need to make the fireballs flashier, and the hit effects more spectacular. But that will come with time.

No kidding. I usually just keep a short list of immediate things I need to do or fix but I was trying out a to-do manager and seeing things pile up isn't motivating at all. Also you could try setting up a survey for your questions.

I like the idea of alt-fire being a heat sink.

Me too, I mean I'm pretty much copying Doom 4's arsenal for Doomslayer, which I think works well for this.

I made the fireballs fancier

Do like.
Also, morning lads.

hmmm well I tried asking those goys at IRC to see what they have to say and here it is:
hello, is it possible to make a mod for 0 AD that is set in modern war as a theme instead of ancient one? me: I think it should be possible. There are even crazy mods like this pony-related one already done: wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18838-ponies-ascendant-alpha-10/ yeah but was thinking those standard stuff like machine guns, cannons, armed vehicles and so on but I was* you'd have to add them to your mod of course alright, do I need to learn a programing language for that or something? I am primarily a modeller me, XML, js mostly, but most of it is already done only need a few stuff for explosions me, If you ask on the forums while providing models, you'll have the feedback you need I don't use forums at all me: There is a whole section in the forum for modding howtos: wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/443-tutorials-guides/ me, You can also ask on IRC in the dev channel but the best way is really the forums, see undying nephalims thread wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22638-hyrule-conquest/ I looked into those wiki stuff before, I managed to make a model visible on the atlas editor or however it was named me, So basically try to do everything, then each time you encounter a problem ask us alright thanks for the answers, I have already enough models to make the base mod possible so to say. so that one is not a problem for me No pb
Welp I guess I will try porting my Spring project over this one and see how it goes. But man fuck forums I don't want to use that stuff ever again.
That fucking horsefuckery as a first example, are you serious?
Jesus christ I hate it that I need to do this shit, just because the path finding in spring is broken. I used to have a blast with the old 1944 mod for Springas

I've been working on a level for the original Max Payne. I was wondering if any anons are familiar with mapping for it? I was hoping to start a discord group.

So for demo day should we still post what we have that's playable even if it isn't much?

I've done that, got some really good info.

Unfortunately I now need more specific stuff.
Might ask again next thread or just make a thread exclusively for it. I'll see.

Good luck with that one.
Speccy doesn't detect the correct audio device though. I"m not using the onboard one, but some other Schiit.

I want to have multiple playable characters in my next game, for replayability reasons. The player picks a character and goes through the levels in a linear manner. How should I handle the story aspect (intro, dialogues, endings)? I.e. different characters going through the same stages/enemies (alternate timelines??). Are there examples of games doing this? Touhou comes to mind.

After you have chosen a character, you could make the other playable characters into enemies or bosses of stages like in little fighter 2, and maybe add some slight route/sequence variety in the stages/levels based on whom you have chosen.

Where do i submit my stuff for the demoday?
My 1.10 release is done

fablesoflaetus.com/110release/

Congrats, user!

so. i was modelling a horse and don't know if i should give it genitalia. i would like the option to have male and female horse models for breeding purposes but if i ever did publish i would like to avoid a AO rating.

all this being said my horses groin is all sorts of fucked up as far as the topology goes and i would like to fix it before moving on. so the real question is how do i look at reference images of horse pussy/dick and explain it as someone walks in my room.

Two words: "Realistic Simulation"
Also helps if you don't have your dick out and/or you don't give a fuck.

a nutsack works if you want players to use visual cues for finding gender. no nutsack = female/foal. done. unless you wanna go full furfag with throbbing red erections like
wants

well could also to with the utter route.

end goal is to make a breeding framework for traits. going to go for size, and color to start with may add more depth but… would i want to animate the mounting? for realism purposes.

Speak for yourself

thanks

>he skipped leg day

I think you've already made your decisions, user

it's pumpkin timeeeeee.

Nice stuff

what my uncle owns a ranch and i help him every once in a while. is there a better way to tell? you place them in the same pasture and wait for them to fuck. witch you sit and wait for unless you own both of them someone might want their stud back home before dark. unless your going to do some Artificial Insemination shit that is how it works. coincidentally enough is how my uncle breeds his cows

should i feed 2 of them magic carrots and wait for harts to pop out? or should someone be able to be pissed that a wild horse broke in to his yard and is fucking one of his purebred mares.

No, do it with full on realism. Just don't let the furries in

If I remember correctly, with horses it works a little differently. You bring in a sexy horse guy, have the mare get all hot 'n bothered, then lift the curtain and let in Mr Huge McFuckLarge the hyperhorse and have him cuck the shit out of the sexy guy.

Seriously? Why?

I suppose the females can kick chads into hotwheels

I made a short preview of a stage I'm working on. Still experimenting with some different colors and details. But I've added a lot more to the player sprite and made the animations look more natural. Looks a bit better now imo.

I always liked your environmental sprites a lot. I wish I was as good as you right now, but I'm working on it.

I think it had to do with the fact that them being hot and bothered is needed for conception, and males with traits preferred for breeding (strong as fuck) aren't attractive to mares. But it might as well be for all I know.

Chad horse

anyone else just kinda randomly rotate bones while weight painting?

woops forgot pic

No but have some amusing webms I just remembered I had saved

Conveyor belt and associated button. Are they distinct enough?

they certainly stand out
I wouldn't have guessed that that is a button though, looks more bubblish to me.

Here's how it would look in the original game
Not sure how to improve it.

Note that if you step on a button, it does an effect, but it's also functionally the same as ice tiles (you'll keep sliding across it)

Well my graphics card is dead. Started having flickering and garbled jumps on my secondary monitor. Changed to my primary monitor and it's still happening today. I'm running off a single monitor at 1280x720. This is barbaric

What card? Tried wiping drivers with DDU and reinstalling? Checked to see if there are any newer vbios files floating around you could flash on to it? Was it overheating at all?

Okay, here's where I'm at

So now it's either an issue with RAM or motherboard.
Either way I've backed my shit up and gonna bench the PC for a bit and just work off my laptop. At least Black Friday is coming up so I can rebuild it for cheap

Forgot to mention, it runs at about 44C idle, and the card is a ATI ASUS R7 370 Series ("Strix")

You say driver update, but that's not really much information. Get DDU and then run it from inside Windows Safe Mode, then make absolutely sure you have the correct and latest driver from AMD's site (not ASUS or some other vendor) and install that after DDU wipes everything clean.

While you are at it you can also try using the Registry fixer in CCleaner to clean up any other issues that it can find.

Yeah but if I've changed my monitors, cables, and graphics card, it can't be the graphics card, it has to be one of the other things I haven't fucked with

Switching to integrated graphics without a clean install of its proper drivers can also make things just as fucked up. Hell a while back I installed Intel video drivers so I could try out QuickSync video encoding on my 2600k, and my AMD drivers had a hissy fit until I did a clean install of AMD on top of Intel.

Clean your shit yo, then you can truly eliminate it as a possibility.

itch.io/jam/ruins/rate/187403

That's a spooky pumpkin. Your progress is always really comfy, user.

My debug room is starting to look like a real debug room thanks to all the weird collision I added to test out the new collision detection.
Unfortunately, I don't see this game getting anywhere close to fun in 10 days, but I'm definitely at the point in time where I've finished writing most of the prerequisite code to make a 3D game and can start focusing on the code and data that actually makes the gameplay.

Damn son. If i am not mistaking you for someone else, then i saw your stuff the first time on halfchan /agdg/ a very long time ago. How long have you been working on this game now?

So i just got given a computer to replace my toaster. I've been wanting to try some 3D modelling for the first time in years, how is Blender?

and how does it gel with Unity

I've heard a major consideration for 3D is making sure you have a proper workflow. Also that model formats (?) cam be fucky between Blender and Unity.

Something like that, I can't remember the details

Blender is excellent for modeling.
But as mentions, you should be wary of getting your data out of Blender and into whatever game engine you plan on using.
I've written my own game engine that's designed to work with Blender so I have nothing to worry about in that regard.

For learning modeling with Blender, I recommend you look into Jonathan Williamson and his tutorials, the #1 key word you need to look into in order to master modeling is "topology".
For starters, the first five minutes of this is a great introduction into topology.

the .fbx exporter for blender used to be awful, but I've heard it's been improved upon since then and works fine. should import into unity no problem.

I think the last time i used a 3D modeller was like ten years ago and it was basically 'heres a grey cube, import a t pose/cross section art on the axis and add new points to the cube to stretch sections out' and i remember fuck all else about it.

Well, there's a little more than just modeling in order to create a game character.
There's modeling, rigging, texturing, and animation.
For rigging, I recommend Nathan Vegdahl's "Humane Rigging", which you can find on Youtube.
For texturing, well…That's something I need to work on myself.
For animation, I honestly can't remember how I learned how to do it.
I worked with Nathan Vegdahl, and perhaps he taught me some things himself, but I think even before then, back when I was reading Japanese documentation for the PMX and VMD file formats to write a little open-source MikuMikuDance program, I learned a lot about animation in 3D from an engineering perspective at that time, which made learning the design side a lot easier.

Morning lads. Going to set my main project aside today, because ADD. Hoping allowing myself the freedom will actually get me to produce. We'll see.

I started work on the altfire attack for the rifle, though I'm having this really weird issue with it, it might be hard to notice here but I'll fix it in due time.

you know that feeling when everything is abstract and you don't even know if your current lines of code are working properly?

thanks for posting this

I like how this is some crazy FPS+RTS mix.

The gun shoots skeletons? That's awesome

Also, I'm going through the process of redoing some stage backgrounds with new colors. I kinda like these layered purple trees for Stage 1 rather than the HUGE flat green ones, since now as you're walkin around the forest you actually have some depth. IE when you climb up the cliffs you can see the top of the canopy, which looks a lot more interesting imo.I also think I like the brighter colors better.

>and warnings as errors
good lord I had no idea I had so many unused variables. I'll be busy for a while..

I still have some unused variables that I haven't gotten around to removing. When I'm doing a lot of experimentation I end up with a lot of them.

If you're looking for inspiration, check out Batman for NES:
vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/#B

Yeah that game is super stylish. I don't know how they got away with using so much black in their stages but it somehow works for the game really well. I've been lookin to Dracula X and Castlevania 3 for most of my inspiration so far. I really should branch out, but I'm still a novice at spriting, especially when it comes to cohesive color choice, so I'm trying to be careful with how many things I look at for inspiration because I feel like it might make my graphics look even more all over the place. That's kinda what I've been focusing on fixing the last few days.

I was actually just reflecting on this, looking at what 823619 had linked to. Notice the contrast in saturation between the Batman sprite (very colorfully purple) vs the lower saturated backgrounds (LOTS of black, grey, color used sparingly, the biggest color is a red dusty color in stage 1 for example). Very obviously noir film inspired (as a Batman game should look) (and just like the movies and comics do). Gotham should be gothic, dark, and noir, so it fits expectations well. While not shown here, enemies also get higher relative saturation, as does the set pieces the player interacts with (that red rust color is used mostly on platforms the player should be paying attention to). It's really well done because the background is…well, background. It doesn't immediately draw attention to itself and serves its purpose of contrasting the player and interactables, of setting the stage for play, without distraction.
The opposite of this would be something like Sonic, where they used a very aggressive parallax scrolling to differentiate fore and back-ground. But everything is SUPER saturated, and this can lead to player confusion. Everything is also SUPER "busy", as in amount of texture/detail, which also leads to visual confusion (not intentionally, I might add). Batman has great usage of negative space (all teh black, it gives your eyes/brain a chance to rest, contrast, and frame the rest of the visual input).

Engine devs post cubes

that cube is a slut

new thread when?

Do it.

In three pages.
Why isn't this cyclical yet, again?

Because archiveanon wouldn't be able to satisfy his autism.

To be honest, those thread archives helped me more than once

Fucking how

Hey, Aseprite is pretty nifty. It's like Photoshop, but completely optimised for pixel art

Hell yes it is. I just bought it and I cant believe how much time I wasted doing sprite sheets in GIMP. It's a gamechanger for me, I've been touching up most of my sprites since then. Worth every penny.

user my PC is dying, I had to use something lightweight that an old laptop can run

It's open source, you can compile it yourself. Not a huge fan of the license, but it's possible.
github.com/aseprite/aseprite

If you can use it just by compiling it yourself, then what's the point in buying it? Do people who pay get special features or something?

Sure it's open sores, but it's not free software anymore since the dev is too much of a jew to provide the freedom of the GPL once he realized what it actually meant. pic related.

Can he just change the license his project is on?
That is, wouldn't he violating his own CC license if he went more restrictive?

user i…

Only problem that could arise would be if someone had contributed code to it while it was GPL and their contributor agreement wasn't airtight. but it probably was because these west coast jew types always know a lawyer.

It's only going to be used when an object rolls off another one. Realistically these are rocks, keys, and gems, and nothing else.

I mean, I don't care if the dev is a jew, I try to avoid learning about who makes my tools because of that. Its just a good tool. I wasn't aware that you could just compile it yourself, which is a bust on my part though. I blame the fact that it was 3 am.

god fucking damnit

So i got this bug where my model isn't displayed right in the irrlicht engine
The colors are all fucked up and i don't know why
first image is the model in irrlicht second is the model in blender
I tried turning on lighting for the model but then it just appears black
i tried a bunch of different export types but all of them are either the same or worse than .obj (displaying less of the model)
Now i don't know if anyone here really knows anything about irrlicht but any general information about the process would be apreciated
Like what data does .obj save exactly and how does lighting factor into this
also i didn't make the model but it seems the colors on the armor and cloth are done with a shader
Maybe this doesn't get exported with .obj file?
If so do i need to change it to use only image textures or is there someway to export the shader with the model

Do what I'm doing, user. Make shit until you're making not-quite so shit. THEN kill yourself after you are a PROPER failure, mate
Srsly though, ganbatte ne

Start with simpler tools, like chiptune sequencers, since that makes you focus on the importance of melody. Eventually, once you feel limited by that, move on to more advanced tools. Learn chords and chord progressions, as much about them as you can, they're the foundation for everything.
On the side, read music theory. It's technically optional since I didn't at first, but it helps understand why shit works the way it works, just really nice knowledge to have.
And prepare to spend a long time on it. Pics related are important, keep these handy and study them on jewtube and elsewhere.

Something nice to do is to remake the same song once a year or so, adding every strategy you've learned over that time. Shows you how far you have come, and gives a huge confidence boost.

Also stop comparing yourself to the best, that's unreasonable. Those people spend their lives doing this shit. Just focus on yourself, write something that writes nice, get critiqued and fix accordingly.
I believe in you.

Thanks, going to buy a midi keyboard next week, wish me luck.

Wait until Black Friday

youtube.com/channel/UCeZLO2VgbZHeDcongKzzfOw/videos
Breddy gud game music analysis channel, although probably too advanced for when you're just starting out. Still interesting either way. And it's only 30 videos so far, so not too daunting to watch all of it.

Good luck, user. Start farting around with famitracker in the meantime.

Fuck yeah, I was about to link that too. Edutainment!
Also, attached is what I'm working on, since I never post images in these threads. Because I hop from project to project faster than we make AGDG threads and I don't want to commit to any one project yes, even the idea of putting my current shit du jour on the wiki makes me anxious

Ok guys, I'm going to record some of my first videogames ever made.

This was my first videogame I made, pls rate.

By comparison, this was made this year.

I know that tutorial

Looking good user, you've shown improvement.

you know what's the shittiest part, that I've feel depressed last year because I always though I suck and I do consider myself a begginer.

My only hope is to reach 35 at least by having at least one success.

I do hope to reach now 50 by making at least one masterpiece in videogames.

When I was 13, I was dicking around with some RPG Toolkit in 2003. I went to college in 2008 and graduated in 2012. I've been tinkering with gamedev my whole life and depending on where you at where I got serious, it's been 5-7 years of abandoned projects without a single demo.

But I always learned something new, this is probably the first project I"ll finish in some capacity

If the model still has nodes it might not be baked yet, try looking on other layers or bake it yourself

katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/bake-normal-maps.php

I tried looking for the model feature set of irrlich and couldn't find anything, also the documentation looks cold, it still talks about blender 2.4, that was 8 years ago. I hope you have a good reason to use it because they are about to break compatibility next release for PBR rendering

How can I flatten my Direction vector so that it only points in two directions to the left and right of my character?

I basically want my character to sidestep but I'm drawing a blank on how to get this working.
Using unity

I don't understand. Do you mean that you don't want to allow diagonal vectors (relative to the player)?

You shouldn't have two vectors that point to the left or right of your character, you should have one vector that points left or right, and you set it negative if you want it to go the other direction.

had a dream last night that i animated, as in i dreamt all night that i was sitting at my computer animating.
wake up
realize that it was all a dream
have none of it saved
motivation destroyed

Finally got the dirt texture looking halfway decent (I'm using a modified NES palette with extra RGB+grey ramps)

I have one single vector that I use to move in a 3D space, I basically just want to make that vector into something that I can use to move my character in +Y and -Y.

Shit, I just realized I had a minor art subtheme with the 4 card suits. Think it's worth the effort to change the key shapes?

Are you talking about strafing in 3 dimensions?
If so, what you can do is to create a new vector3 holding only the information for movement in local space (in your case this might just be direction in y), normalize it, convert it to world space using TransformDirection, give it the magnitude required then add it to your current direction vector.
Alternatively you can get the cross product of the local forward and up vectors to receive a vector pointing to the left or right of your character than do with that as you please.
I'm not a neat coder, so there's probably a better way of doing it.

When you say you want to "flatten" a vector, that means you're flattening it relative to something.
So, in most cases it's flattening relative to a plane (so, surface normal or world up (0,1,0), so it's a direction relative to a plane), or relative to a direction (projecting a vector in a particular normalized direction that's the original vector's magnitude).
Respectively, these are the ProjectOnPlane, and Project vector3 methods.

so… as to get a basis for what we're dealing with here: does your character's forward transform move relative to your directional vector?
i.e. set the character's transform forward as the dir vector?
if so, just get the transform right dir (side step dir), and just add in that dir.
if not (i don't see why not, use the tools built for this), you can use a cross product to get the right direction of your character's forward/up, to get the right axis dir; then add in that dir for a side step.

correction

PAGE 13 SOMEONE DO IT

i don't use irrlicht, but that's definitely the shader.
as obviously some of the uv map/texture is applied (shield looks right, but off colored, which is probably due to the shader lighting model not matching with the one in blender).
as long as you have the UV map + textures setup, basic vert + uvs to frag shader, and it's properly setup in blender w/proper model format support in the engine it should be fine (probably try fbx?).
as atm it looks like it's drawing the fallback color, or a color in the texture that's grey (so that'd mean improper uv coordinates/model format isn't supported, or shader is fugged).

open up the obj file with notepad.
it's pretty self-explanatory… so stuff like vertex location, vertex normals, vertex tangents, and indices (uvs, or triangle indices).

anyone doing this yet?

Fresh Bread

Let's not make any more new threads. We've had a good run. Let's not spoil our community.

time for a mass suicide, bcs that's the only way im stopping

legit

thanks for the info
it's lightweight, opensource and C++